The Xkcd Cookbook (with an unfinished index in the OP)

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

The Xkcd Cookbook (with an unfinished index in the OP)

Postby warriorness » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

This thread is very simple: ITT, post your recipes.

In an effort to improve readability and usefulness, I am currently in the process of
A In this first post keep a comprahensive, sorted in typical cookbook fashion, list of all recipies posted so far with links to the posts. And by cookbook fashion I mean, first appetizers, then main courses, sorted into fish, red meat, white meat and vegetarian, then desserts, then baked goods, sorted into sweet and non sweet, then what can only qualify as "other" (this sorted order is open to criticism, PM if so.
B (after A is done) Create a PDF document of the recipies as specified in the list above. (this has been done before, but it was a while ago, and it was not what I might call "orderly", ideally I want to write a Java program which givven ingredients, instructions and possibly a picture, creates LaTeX code which I can then append to the document.
C will be considered once a and B are done.
- Fjafjan, 11th of January

EDIT: I might disgard the posted order, after only re reading the first few posts this is, now that I think about, largely a thread of "snacks" rather than traditional meals. Obviously the best way would be a customazable list (sort by your preferred way) but not sure how I would do that

Progress so far, 3/15 pages covered on A - 28th march
I think it'd probably be best to embed the recipes in quote blocks so as to make them more visible. I'll start.

Warriorness's Awesome Tuna Melt wrote:Ingredients:

1 can tuna
1-2 tbsp mayonnaise
1-2 tsp mustard
1 tsp sweet relish
A few dashes Tabasco sauce
2 slices bread (whole wheat)
1 or 2 slices swiss cheese

Directions:

1. Mix first 5 ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Spread over one slice of bread, put the cheese on the other slice of bread.
3. Cook the slices (open faced) in a toaster oven or griddle until cheese melts and bread turns goldenish-brown.
4. Put slices together and eat.

I made a similar topic on LUElinks and it turned into a huge success. So I have tons of recipes I can post, if need be (i.e. the topic dies or is slow to take off).

List of Recipies

Sandwiches

Condiments

Salads
Spoiler:

Shakes

Noodles

Main Courses
Spoiler:

Desserts and sweet Baked goods
Other things (they do not really qualify as recipies)
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work
warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby Akira » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:28 pm UTC

AWESOME idea.

Maybe we can code them by recipie type, too? Like microwave recipies, baking recipies, and so on?

My contribution:

Lily's Ramen Recipie wrote:Stovetop; Very Easy

Ingredients:

1 package ramen noodles (I uses sapporo ichiban brand--texture prefrence.)
1-2 medium-large carrots, sliced diagonally to form ovals
2-3 slices deli ham, sliced into long, narrow strips
1/2 sheet nori (dried, toasted seaweed--garnish, optional)

Pro-de-cure:

* Boil about a half cup more water than normal
* put carrots in just before the ramen
* cook according to package directions.
* remove from heat, add ham and flavoring packet
* sit and look at it. (eat it, duh.)

This is how I make my ramen. It's so much more filling that just plain ramen noodles. ^^
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.
Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby warriorness » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

I counter with:

Warriorness-style Ramen wrote:Ingredients:

1 pack Ramen
Cayenne Pepper
Curry Powder
Soy Sauce

Directions:

1) Boil some water in a pot.
2) Put Ramen noodles in, stir occasionally.
3) After about seven minutes (a noodle should stick to the wall when it's done, or you can taste it and see), drain the noodles well.
4) Season to taste with the rest of the ingredients, and maybe some other stuff that you feel like eating.
5) Eat.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work
warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby Akira » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

le-GASP! *stumbles backwards*

...too spicy. XDD I cool it off with:

Lily's Chocolate Raspberry Stuff wrote:Ingrediants:

1 cup frozen raspberries
2 decent scoops of icecream
5-10 second drizzle of Hershey's Chocolate syrup

Pro-de-cure:
* Combine in blender on high until smooth. Adjust chocolate content to taste.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.
Akira

Postby cmacis » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

Our age range is mostly students right? That would explain our obsession with ramen. Sigh, nobody here understands the word 'ramen' so I inform them that it is ready noodles. Definitely not varlese.

I like to boil two packs up with chilli powder and the curry seasoning if I remembered to get the curry flavour instead of chicken. Yay for 8p noodles. When cooked I pour/scoop the noodles and most of the water into my bowl and eat. Much hand and mouth burning results.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.
cmacis

Postby Akira » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

cmacis wrote:Our age range is mostly students right? That would explain our obsession with ramen. Sigh, nobody here understands the word 'ramen' so I inform them that it is ready noodles. Definitely not varlese.

I like to boil two packs up with chilli powder and the curry seasoning if I remembered to get the curry flavour instead of chicken. Yay for 8p noodles. When cooked I pour/scoop the noodles and most of the water into my bowl and eat. Much hand and mouth burning results.

ramen can totally be gourmet. XP

It's not the only asian noodle i'm obsessed with, though: i make soba every time i can convince my parents to take me to the speicalty store to get some. XD
Akira

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

putting pepperoni in the microwave for 30 seconds turns it into something that tastes like baccon
d3adf001

Postby SpitValve » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:03 pm UTC

Code: Select all
Fibonacci Numbers with Caramel Sauce.

This recipe prints the first 100 Fibonacci numbers. It uses an auxiliary recipe for caramel sauce to define Fibonacci numbers recursively. This results in an awful lot of caramel sauce! Definitely one for the sweet-tooths.

Ingredients.
100 g flour
250 g butter
1 egg

Method.
Sift the flour. Put flour into mixing bowl. Serve with caramel sauce. Stir for 2 minutes. Remove egg. Rub the flour until sifted. Stir for 2 minutes. Fold the butter into the mixing bowl. Pour contents of the mixing bowl into the baking dish.

Serves 1.

Caramel Sauce.

Ingredients.
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 vanilla bean

Method.
Fold white sugar into mixing bowl. Put white sugar into mixing bowl. Fold brown sugar into mixing bowl. Clean mixing bowl. Put white sugar into mixing bowl. Remove vanilla bean. Fold white sugar into mixing bowl. Melt white sugar. Put vanilla bean into mixing bowl. Refrigerate. Heat white sugar until melted. Put white sugar into mixing bowl. Remove vanilla bean. Fold white sugar into mixing bowl. Caramelise white sugar. Put vanilla bean into mixing bowl. Refrigerate. Cook white sugar until caramelised. Put white sugar into mixing bowl. Serve with caramel sauce. Fold brown sugar into mixing bowl. Put white sugar into mixing bowl. Add vanilla bean. Serve with caramel sauce. Add brown sugar.
SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby warriorness » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

Before I made this topic, I knew somebody would take it upon themselves to be a smart-ass and post Chef source code. I'm just surprised at how little time it took to happen.

I love this recipe. Makes for a great breakfast, is impressive to serve to other people, and it's a good way to save your overripe bananas instead of throwing them away.

Warriorness's B-A-N-A-N-A-S Bananas Foster wrote:Ingredients:

2 bananas (this is where you can use overripe bananas instead of trashing them)
1/2 stick butter
(about) 1/2 cup brown sugar

Directions:

1) Heat a medium size non-stick pan on medium heat.
2) Peel bananas, and cut in half hot dog-style.
3) Put the butter and sugar in, and stir together to form a nice sauce as the butter melts (it should be dark brown and slightly bubbly).
4) Add the bananas, and turn the heat to medium-low. With a spatula, pour some of the sauce over the top of the bananas.
5) Flip the banana halves over (if one breaks, don't worry, they'll still taste heavenly) and repeat 2-3 times until you can't wait anymore and have to eat those bananas.
6) Serve onto a plate with all the sauce you can get out of the pan.
7) Eat.

If you're feeling brave, you can throw some rum into the sauce and flambe it, or so I hear. I don't for... various reasons.
warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby Akira » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:21 pm UTC

Why do i get the impression that "various reasons" involves the fire department? :wink: XD

The bananas recipie acoutally soudns really good. I think I have some bananas i could try it with!

*tempted to find a way to do a recipie so that it actually LOOKS like code of some sort*
Akira

Postby cmacis » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

Warriorness, I see that your approach to the <name>'s problem when <name> ends with a 's' is to still add the "'s". I prefer to just stick the apostrophe in myself. Apparantly I'm old fashioned for thinking that way.
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
cmacis

Postby warriorness » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

cmacis wrote:Warriorness, I see that your approach to the <name>'s problem when <name> ends with a 's' is to still add the "'s". I prefer to just stick the apostrophe in myself. Apparantly I'm old fashioned for thinking that way.

That's the way I've always been taught, for example: "The series's conclusion." I'm not sure when the other way - "The series' conclusion" - became prevalent, but it annoys me.

Warriorness's ''Whatever'' Nacho Platter wrote:Ingredients:

Tostitos corn chips (Restaurant style preferably)
Whatever you can find and/or make that would go well with nachos, such as:
Cheddar cheese (a must)
Chicken breast (grilled) (you can make a simple steak and slice it, that works too)
Salsa (I use chipotle salsa)
Sliced jalapeno peppers
Refried beans
Any kind of chili
Lettuce
Green onions
Sour Cream
Guacamole

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) On a large plate, make a layer of chips.
3) Grate cheese over it, and add some salsa and chicken/steak, and whatever else you feel should go on the first layer. Beware! Do not add sour cream or guacamole yet (anything else goes).
4) Repeat the layer thing until you have enough. Consider how many people you're serving with this nacho platter.
5) When you have enough, put the platter in the oven for 7 minutes. After it's done, put a second plate under it so you can carry it without burning yourself.
6) Add a dollop of sour cream on top, and enjoy.
warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby Anmorata » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:47 pm UTC

I'm loving this thread. :) I love to cook.

Here's something that we made up on the fly one night, in an effort to jazz up your basic Ramen:

Anmorata's Noodly Stuff wrote:
3 oz sliced mushroom
4 oz shredded carrots
2 small onions wedged and separated
3 T. sesame seeds (roasted is preferred)
1/3 c soy sauce
2 T. rice vinegar (white will do in a pinch)
1/2 oil
3 packs ramen noodles

Undercook ramen noodles slightly and drain. You may discard the soup packets or add one to the sauce below.

Heat 1/4 c. oil in a wok or very large skillet. Cook onions and shredded carrots until onions start becomeing translucent. Add mushrooms and cook briefly. Add soy sauce and vinegar and optional soup packet. Bring liquid to a boil (veggies will sweat more liquid into the soy), and saute in the liquid for a few minutes. Add oil and when liquid boils, add cooked noodles and sesame seeds. Stir and cook until noodles are thoroughly coated with sauce.

Variations may include sliced chicken breast added at the first (onion and carrots) step, or beef.

Turn your scars into stars.
Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

Here's another. This was a quick and easy dinner that everyone liked.

Anmorata's Pecan-Topped Stuffed Chicken wrote:Pecan-Topped Stuffed Chicken
Cooking time: less than 1 hour

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 C pecans, chopped (16 grams)
1/4 C butter, melted
1/2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
6 slices bacon, chopped
1/4 C mozzarella cheese, shredded
salt

Preheat the oven to 350.

Slice the chicken lengthwise (butterfly cut, so don't cut all the way through... just far enough to be able to open them flat). Fill each breast with 1/4 of the cheeses and the bacon. Salt. Replace the tops and place breasts into a casserole dish.

Combine the butter and pecans.

Press the pecan mixture into the tops of the breasts. (or you can try rolling the filled breasts in the pecan mixture, but I have yet to make that work.)

Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Banksy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

cmacis wrote:Our age range is mostly students right? That would explain our obsession with ramen. Sigh, nobody here understands the word 'ramen' so I inform them that it is ready noodles. Definitely not varlese.

That made me giggle, but I think it's Varelse
I don't remeber my favourite dish's recipe by heart, but try a Cappucino Cake, just a regular coffee cake with white chocolate icing...
But if anyone were ever to discover the meaning of life, all of space and time would collapse in on itself, and in the place that remained a large sign would appear saying:

Level 2.
Banksy

Postby Anmorata » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

Anmorata's Rosemary-Garlic Potato Crisps wrote:Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes

1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large unpeeled russet potatoes, thinly sliced
(slicing potatoes thinly reduces cooking time and achieves desired crispness.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine oil, garlic, rosemary, pepper, and salt. Mix well. Add potatoes to bowl; toss gently to coat.

Arrange a single layer of potatoes, overlapping slightly, in a nine-inch circle in the center of the prepared baking sheet. Repeat layering with the remaining potatoes, fanning them slightly and forming concentric circles.

Bake until potatoes are slightly browned and tender, about 45 minutes. Using 2 flat metal spatulas, lift the potatoes to a serving platter. Using a fork, fan potatoes slightly. Garnish with rosemary. Serve immediately.
Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Peshmerga » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

Peshmerga's Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Shake wrote:
Required: Blender

3 cups nonfat or 1% milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
2-3 tablespoons natural peanut butter

Blend until liquidy

D:
i hurd u liek mudkips???
Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby SpitValve » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:29 pm UTC

We don't do ramen... we do Maggi's. Except we call them "Majees", while I think the British call them "Maggees" (hard g).
SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby hermaj » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:01 am UTC

warriorness wrote:
cmacis wrote:Warriorness, I see that your approach to the <name>'s problem when <name> ends with a 's' is to still add the "'s". I prefer to just stick the apostrophe in myself. Apparantly I'm old fashioned for thinking that way.

That's the way I've always been taught, for example: "The series's conclusion." I'm not sure when the other way - "The series' conclusion" - became prevalent, but it annoys me.

But it's the right way! The right way is not annoying. You're not even supposed to sounds out the s, either, when you say it. Really you're supposed to say "I went to James place" rather than "I went to Jameses place". I can put up with people saying the latter (I often do myself), but the "'s" on words ending with "s" when written down sticks out like a sore thumb to me. A sore thumb I want to hit with a hammer and make more sore!

Anyway. I cook by instinct, much to the annoyance of everyone I try and teach recipes too, so these measurements are pretty approximate.

Tegan's Random Gnocchi (and Cheese Also If You Like That Kind of Thing) Recipe wrote:Ingredients:
1 500g packet of gnocchi
Small amount of butter
1 175g packet of breakfast slice bacon, sliced into thin strips (You could use short cut too, I guess; the point is that there should be absolutely NO bacon fat present)
1 fresh mild chilli, chopped and seeds taken out / 1t of mild chilli spice blend
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped / 1t garlic paste
Small handful of fresh chives (we grow them so I have no real measurement in terms of how much you need to buy)
100mL cream
Milk

Optional:
Shredded mozzarella
Shredded parmesan
Grated (I don't think you can buy it preshredded!) vintage cheddar

Method:
1) Put salted water on to boil for the gnocchi.
2) Melt butter in a medium-sized frypan over high heat. Add bacon, fresh chilli (if you're using it), garlic and chives. Fry for a few minutes until the bacon starts to brown.
3) Reduce heat to medium. Add cream and the chilli paste (if you're using that instead) and simmer, stirring as often as you can be bothered. If it starts to thicken too much or you don't think you have enough sauce, thin it out with milk. You can always boil off the excess if you're finding after that it's too thin. It should be able to coat the back of a spoon.
4) Continue to simmer until your gnocchi is cooked, then tip the gnocchi back into the saucepan and pour the stuff in the frypan on top. Mix!
5) Serve now, if you want! Yay!

Optional:
6) Pour the gnocchi mixture into a pyrex dish. Top generously with the three cheeses. Put the grill on high and slide it under for about 5 minutes until cheese is browned. You could also put it into the oven at 180C, but it'll take a lot longer.
7) Serve! Yay!
hermaj

Postby warriorness » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:51 am UTC

Yeah, I do my cooking "by instinct" too. It's a bit discouraging when your first dish comes out with the ingredients all out of proportion. Also, I only cook for myself, pretty much, so obviously most of these will serve only one.

Warriorness's Chicken Parmesan wrote:Ingredients:

1 chicken breast
Tomato/pasta sauce
Parmesan Cheese
2 eggs (this may be too much; don't double this part if you're doubling the recipe)
bread crumbs
paprika

Directions:

1) Put bread crumbs in a medium sized bowl, season with paprika. Separate the eggs and put the yolks in another bowl.
2) Cut the chicken breast like a hot dog bun, so it's big and thin. Coat it with egg yolk, and then with bread crumbs.
3) Cook in a skillet on medium heat for about 7 minutes.
4) When you flip it over, slather with sauce then cheese to taste.
5) Devour.

Important: You have to cook poultry ALL THE WAY THROUGH. This isn't beef; if it's still pinkish in the middle cook it a little longer. If in doubt, cut it and look inside.
warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby Subpoena » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:53 am UTC

Reading the thread title, I was thinking something more like The Anarchist's Cookbook sort of thing... Ah, well.
Subpoena

Postby aldimond » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:58 am UTC

Al's favoritest dessert wrote:Ingredient:

Brown sugar, one bag

Instruction:

Eat the brown sugar with a spoon. If you don't have a spoon just use your hands.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.
aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby Alisto » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:00 am UTC

Here's one with an incredibly original name. But it's cheap, easy, and still great when reheated!

Cream of Chicken Macaroni wrote:1 box macaroni elbows
1 26 oz can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken
1.5 cups milk

1. Mix Cream of Chicken and milk in saucepan. Place on low heat while stirring occassionally.

2. Boil macaroni.

3. When macaroni is ready, mix sauce with macaroni.

4. Eat!

Next time, lasagna!
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.
Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby EvanED » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:03 am UTC

warriorness wrote:

I think it's more the other way around... I get the sense that "the series' conclusion" used to be the accepted way.

But I agree... not appending the final s is illogical and a complication to our language rules with no benefit and an additional cost. ;-)

And so I'm not totally off-topic, I've recently tried this pizza crust recipe. With essentially no previous baking experience, I have now made two batches of this for four pizzas, and all but the first have been better than when I get a store-bought crust. (And one was maybe my best pizza.)
EvanED

Postby Cybored » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:12 am UTC

World's Worst drinking game drink wrote:1 part Kahlua
1 part Orange Juice

Try to hold it down as long as you can.

It's original name was "Bile"
Cybored

Postby rachel » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:12 am UTC

Subpoena wrote:Reading the thread title, I was thinking something more like The Anarchist's Cookbook sort of thing... Ah, well.

That is quite a useful book, in some aspects. Have you read Days of War, Nights of Love?

My recipe is delicious chicken casserole thing.

Ingredients:

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 cup right, white or yellow (yellow is better)
1/2 jar salsa at least (more if you'd like)
lots of cheddar cheese
sour cream

*You're also going to need a casserole dish that will fit all your ingredients in.

Procedure:

Prepare rice as usual. Pour rice into casserole and mix in as much cheese as you'd like. Place chicken breasts flat on top of layer of rice and cheese. Bake in the oven at 450 degrees until chicken is cooked through. Remove and immediately cover chicken with light layer of cheese and place back into the oven for about five minutes. Remove from oven. Eat with salsa and sour cream on top.

Delicious.
Last edited by rachel on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I played "porn" against my sister last night.
Meaux_Pas wrote:So in otherwords, it's like the best cake ever, covered in bees.

j&r-bffl
rachel
Witch (?)

Postby warriorness » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:13 am UTC

Alisto wrote:Here's one with an incredibly original name. But it's cheap, easy, and still great when reheated!

I see your Cream o' Chicken macaroni and raise you a Bleu Cheese macaroni.

Porter's Bleu Cheese Mac & Cheese wrote:I got this recipe out of the newspaper. Apparently some restaurant in Chapel Hill called Porter's makes this dish. I make it too, and it's incredible.

This is a huge dish. It'll serve the family, and you'll still have some for lunch the next day.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds macaroni (or penne, or whatever other macaroni-like pasta)
1 stick butter
3 Tbsp minced garlic
3 Tbsp minced shallot/red onion/white onion
3/4 cup flour
1 quart milk
1 1/4 pounds crumbled gorgonzola or other bleu cheese
3/4 pound other semi-hard cheese like cheddar or gouda
1 tsp nutmeg
Cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2) Boil pasta in a large pot of (salted) water until ALMOST done (it'll finish cooking in the oven).

3) In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Sautee garlic and shallot/onion until tender.
4) Add flour, stir constantly for about 8 minutes to make a roux (a sort of paste with the texture of grits, pronounced "rue").
5) Whisk in the milk, and cook until the mixture starts to thicken.
6) Grate/crumble the cheese at this stage if you haven't already.
7) When the milk gravy starts to boil, remove from heat. Mix in the cheese. If you want a nice smooth sauce, put the sauce in a blender (recommended).
8) Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.

9) Put pasta in a large baking dish (a deep tray), and fold in the sauce. Optional: Spinkle cayenne and crumbled bleu cheese over the top.
10) Cover the dish with foil, and bake at 300 degrees for about an hour. If you want the top to be browned, remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of cooking.

11) Consume.
warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby Vaniver » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:17 am UTC

Aldimond, I love you.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby cmacis » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:54 am UTC

Unfortunately the parts of the anarchist's cookbook that aren't false are terribly out of date, or USA specific.

Not that I've read it or anything. :roll: :twisted:

Hint: Don't smoke peanuts.
cmacis

Postby German Sausage » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:16 pm UTC

i don't know why its called a quick fuck, beyond maybe the perversity of a friend's older sister. but its nice and it works.

the quick fuck wrote:half fill a shot glass with baileys
pour a layer of midori over it - the back of a spoon helps here
fill the glass with kahlua
drink
repeat
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L
German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

mathmagic's Scrumptious Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner Shake wrote:1 Package of chocolate Carnation instant breakfast/meal replacement powder
1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter
1 banana
1/4 cup of quick oats
1 cup of milk (or until desired viscosity is reached)
1/2 cup of crushed ice
1 "lid" of vanilla (real vanilla FTW!)

Throw everything into blender.
Blend.
Pour into glass.
Enjoy.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Alisto » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:15 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:
warriorness wrote:

I think it's more the other way around... I get the sense that "the series' conclusion" used to be the accepted way.

But I agree... not appending the final s is illogical and a complication to our language rules with no benefit and an additional cost. ;-)

The answer is... it depends on how you say it. When you say, "The series' conclusion," you do not pronounce an additional -es, so you just place the apostrophe after the s.

Something like, "I got called into my boss's office," you do add the 's.

It depends on how you say it, so it can vary. Just know that if you write, "The series's conclusion," the assumption will be that you pronounce it, "The series-es conclusion."
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.
Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby larusson » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

Larusson's "People are always crowding me on the bus" lamb roast

Ingredients:
Leg of lamb
I whole garlic... bulby thing (i.e., with about twenty cloves)
Lemon juice
Oregano

-Puree garlic (yes, every clove in the bulb) with oregano and enough lemon juice to make it about the consistency of ketchup.
-Cut slits all over the leg of lamb (I also like to remove the bone if possible).
-Spread the garlic mixture all over the lamb and especially into the slits you've cut.
-Put it into a baking sheet with high edges, place tinfoil over it lightly and put in in the oven until it's done, squirting lemon juice onto it once in a while. Don't overcook it! It's best at least a little rare
-You can use the drippings for flavouring for other stuff, like pasta. Actually, I usually drink the stuff straight up.

You'll thank me. Anyone within a three metre radius of you for the next week, however, will NOT thank me. :)
larusson

Postby Illogical Logician » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

Illogical Logician's "Ten Pound "Vegetarian" Lasagna"
Warning: Requires Freakishly large lasagna pan

Ingredients:

-750 g sharp cheddar cheese, grated
-750 g Ricotta cheese (sometimes I use cottage cheese if I'm low on cash, or half Ricotta, half cottage)
-Lots of Lasagna Noodles (I try to buy or make fresh lasagna noodles instead of boiling dried noodles....Fresh Pasta is super-awesome)

-1/2 cup butter
-1 or 2 bulb of garlic, peeled and crushed (20-40 or so cloves)
-Rosemary, Oregano, Basil, Thyme, ground together (the fresher to better)
-a few pinches of Cayenne, and half a teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg
-3 tablespoons flour
-1/2 litre half/half cream (or use "whipping" cream, if you are daring)
-500g button mushrooms, thinly sliced

-2 large sweet-potatoes, sliced into centimeter thick slices (can be substituted with Yams, Kumara, or other sweet Tuber)

-1 large bunch of spinach, chopped
-1 large bunch of cilantro, chopped
-1 large red onion, diced
- 500g feta cheese, crumbled

-tablespoon of cooking oil of somesort (I use canola)
-2 or 3 carrots, sliced somewhat thin
-1 or 2 bell peppers, diced
-2 tomatoes, diced
-1 large zucchini, diced
-6 or 7 asparagus spears, chopped into 2 or 3 centimeter segments
-any other veggies that seem good at the time
-500ml tomato sauce ("spaghetti" sauce, not ketchup)
-500g ground vegetarian, precooked (optional)

Method:

- Bring large pot of water to a boil
- add sweet potatoes, and cook until tender
- strain, rinse, and set aside

- If you are using dry lasagna noodles, cook them early, rinse them with cold water to prevent sticking and set aside for later

Sauce 1: Mushroom Sauce
-Melt butter in large saucepan at medium heat
-Saute a third of the chopped garlic for a minute or so, leaving the rest of garlic for other sauces
-add half of the herb mixture, and all of the cinnmon/nutmeg/cayenne
-lower heat, and add flour while mixing with either fork or whisk, to prevent clumping... resulting mixture should be smooth in texture, and be reasonably thick, but still fluid
-remove from heat and slowly add cream, stirring constantly to avoid clumping
-bring to a slow boil to thicken, stirring often to avoid clumping
-add diced mushrooms, and simmer at low heat for 20 minutes or so (can be longer, it won't hurt the sauce, as long as it is stirred regularly)
- sometime I add a bunch of fresh grated parmesan to this sauce as well

Sauce2: Tomatoe Sauce
-in a large saucepan at medium heat, saute a third of the garlic in a tablespoon of cooking oil of some sort
-add peppers, carrots, zuchinni, asparagus, tomatoes, ground vegetarian (if using) and tomatoe sauce
-add remaining herbs
-heat at medium until slow boil, and allow to simmer at low heat until every

Sauce3: spinach feta awesomeness
-in a large saucepan at medium heat, saute a third of the garlic(should be the last of the garlic) in a tablespoon of cooking oil of some sort
-add onion, saute for 2-3 minutes
-add spinach, cilantro, saute until wilted
-remove from heat, and add crumbled feta, mixing well

Now that everything is prepared, all that is left is to assemble the lasagna!

-Take the massive lasagna pan, and cover bottom with layer of noodles
-plop in the entire spinach mixture, and distribute evenly
-cover with a layer of lasagna noodles
-distribute the sweet potato slices evenly
-pour ricotta cheese mixture over sweet potato slices, while attempting to maintain even distribution
-pour the entirety of mushroom sauce over ricotta cheese layer
-cover with a layer of lasagna noodles
-pour entirety of tomatoe sauce over noodles
-cover with another layer of lasagna noodles
-cover with grated cheddar cheese

-bake in oven at 425 fahrenheit for one hour

-let cool for 20 minutes, and serve

I love this lasagna. The trick is in cooking all the sauces and the sweet potatoes at the same time, such that you don't have to spend 4 hours in the kitchen to make it. My record from start to serve is just under 2 hours.
Illogical Logician

Postby warriorness » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:22 am UTC

Warriorness's CCC's wrote:Ingredients:

2 sticks butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour (sifted)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda/powder
1 bag (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Mix the first three ingredients together (you may want to let the butter soften first).
3) Add the vanilla, and then the eggs, and mix.
4) Sift together flour, baking soda/powder, and salt, and mix into the butter/sugar/etc mixture.
5) Add the chocolate chips.
6) Make little balls of the dough (about 1 tbsp each) and put on a cookie sheet (if you put a sheet of parchment paper on the tray first, the cookies won't stick).
7) Bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes.
8) Eat them (with milk) as soon as they come out of the oven.

Protip: A bit less than halfway through this recipe, you'll have yourself a mixture of butter and the two sugars. If you have no self control, you should include more butter and sugar than is necessary, because you will end up eating much of it.
Last edited by warriorness on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:25 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby Vaniver » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:24 am UTC

Protip: A bit less than halfway through this recipe, you'll have yourself a mixture of butter and the two sugars. If you have no self control, you should include more butter and sugar than is necessary, because you will end up eating much of it.
Ah, a cook who thinks how I do.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby Lani » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:10 am UTC

This is one of my favorite meals to cook. Not only is it ridiculously tasty and easy to prepare, it's also super healthy.

Chicken and Oriental Noodles in Peanut Sauce

9 oz uncooked Japanese udon (or any oriental noodle)*
1/2 cup chicken broth (canned, homemade, whatever)
1/4 cup hoison sauce*
1/4 cup peanut butter, creamy style
2 tablespoons vinegar, preferably rice or white*
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons oil, canola or sesame*
1 lb chicken breast, sliced thinly
1 large green or red pepper, sliced into strips
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger; 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, or 1 clove fresh garlic, finely diced
Also: You may substitute beef, shrimp, scallops or tofu, as well as other veggies - broccoli, celery, green beans, etc.

1.) Cook the noodles according to the package directions; drain.

2.) Heat the chicken broth in a small microwaveable bowl, then add the hoison sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, ketchup, and crushed red pepper (and garlic and ginger). Stir to blend.

3.)Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and green pepper slices, and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes.

4.) Pour the hoison sauce mixture into the chicken pepper mixture and heat for a minute, then add the noodles. Toss well and serve.

*Can be found in the Asian section of grocery stores
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."
Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby warriorness » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:41 am UTC

Lani, that sounds excellent. Now I just need an excuse for going to the grocery store and getting (or convincing my parents to get) udon noodles and hoison sauce.

Now, in counter to Al's impressive dessert recipe, I give you:

Warriorness-style popcorn wrote:Ingredients:

Popcorn
Honey

Directions:

1) Make popcorn.
2) Slather with honey.
3) Eat.
warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby davef » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

(Most of) those recipes sound delicious, but all I'm able for at the moment is:
Walk across the road to the shop.
Order a turkey and ham sandwich (approx €4).
Sit on the couch.
Eat.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.
davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby lyworm » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:22 pm UTC

Take a banana, and put it in a bowl.
Take a bar of chocolate, and cut it in thirds.
Stick the thirds inside the banana. Stick the bowl inside the microwave.

Give it about a minute.

Bon appetite ;P
Meow.
lyworm

Next

Return to Food