0052: "Secret Worlds"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

delirium

Postby delirium » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:42 am UTC

http://www.xkcd.com/c52.html

No two adjacent circles are the same color.

That's not true.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:16 am UTC

Where are the offending circles?

I MUST KNOW!

I just checked over it and I'm pretty sure that no adjacent circles are the same color.

hiddenmaniac

Postby hiddenmaniac » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:24 am UTC

I guess it depends on how one folds the printout.
There are things that don't exist.

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:55 am UTC

That drawing went through like seventeen versions with eight different people cross-checking it and twelve separate mixups, and it's amazing what managed to hide through all that.

Are there adjacent circles left on the version that's up now? There could be; it's all gotten so lost at this point. And I wanna hear where.

area

Postby area » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:09 am UTC

Up and to the left of 'Everyone has a secret world inside of them' is close (two blue / grey circles)

paige42

Postby paige42 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:16 am UTC

The smaller one looks more green than blue to me, but it's so tiny I can't really tell.
Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars — mere globs of gas atoms. Nothing is 'mere'. I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more?
- Richard Feynman

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:34 am UTC

Up and to the left of 'Everyone has a secret world inside of them' is close (two blue / grey circles)

The smaller one looks more green than blue to me, but it's so tiny I can't really tell.

Yeah, that's supposed to be green, but back then I was still using crummy-level JPEG (and the image was edited and re-saved so many times), so you can't tell. I'll poke at it when I'm in Windows tonight.

II

Postby II » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:52 am UTC

<3 Gaiman.
Everything in the world can be endured, except a succession of fine days. -Goethe

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:36 am UTC

Where the hell is the link to this comic?

I'm interested in what circles you're talking about, but too lazy to look for it.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

II

Postby II » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:55 am UTC

Everything in the world can be endured, except a succession of fine days. -Goethe

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:31 am UTC

I have it as my desktop background. Although Matt Hughes has something to say about that.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:53 am UTC

Nobody mentioned the 4 colour theorem yet? Shame on you all.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:18 am UTC

those white ones are the same color

user24

Postby user24 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

Rat wrote:those white ones are the same color

I was going to point that out.

It annoys me how you can read the text bubbles in any order whatsoever except the ones beginning "inside", "magnificent" and "not just", which have to be read in that order, at the end. (obviously I'm excluding the attribution bubbles)

But I'd just be happier if the last three bubbles were equally switchable.

everybody has a secret world inside of them, I mean everybody, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, all of the people in the whole world
everybody has a secret world inside of them, I mean everybody, all of the people in the whole world, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside
everybody has a secret world inside of them, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, I mean everybody, all of the people in the whole world
everybody has a secret world inside of them, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, all of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody
everybody has a secret world inside of them, all of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside
everybody has a secret world inside of them, all of the people in the whole world, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, I mean everybody
I mean everybody, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, all of the people in the whole world, everybody has a secret world inside of them
I mean everybody, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, everybody has a secret world inside of them, all of the people in the whole world
I mean everybody, everybody has a secret world inside of them, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, all of the people in the whole world
I mean everybody, everybody has a secret world inside of them, all of the people in the whole world, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside
I mean everybody, all of the people in the whole world, everybody has a secret world inside of them, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside
I mean everybody, all of the people in the whole world, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, everybody has a secret world inside of them
No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, everybody has a secret world inside of them, I mean everybody, all of the people in the whole world
No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, everybody has a secret world inside of them, all of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody
No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, I mean everybody, everybody has a secret world inside of them, all of the people in the whole world
No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, I mean everybody, all of the people in the whole world, everybody has a secret world inside of them
No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, all of the people in the whole world, everybody has a secret world inside of them, I mean everybody
No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, all of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody, everybody has a secret world inside of them
all of the people in the whole world, everybody has a secret world inside of them, I mean everybody, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside
all of the people in the whole world, everybody has a secret world inside of them, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, I mean everybody
all of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody, everybody has a secret world inside of them, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside
all of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, everybody has a secret world inside of them
all of the people in the whole world, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, everybody has a secret world inside of them, I mean everybody
all of the people in the whole world, No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, I mean everybody, everybody has a secret world inside of them

...inside they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds, Not just one world, hundreds of them, thousands maybe.

Also, hello.

user24

Postby user24 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

actually, I think if you concatenate the "inside" and "magnificent" bubbles, you can put everything in any order, but I'm too lazy to work that out.

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Sun May 17, 2009 2:28 am UTC

Link: http://xkcd.com/52/

Alt-text: No two adjacent circles are the same color.

It's the alt-text that made me want to post this; I use that same coloring technique, as I'm sure a lot of people here do. Finally registered an account after having been lurking on this site for a while, so hi guys! I've searched; this thread does not exist to my knowledge.

dennisw

Re: "Secret Worlds" Discussion

Postby dennisw » Sun May 17, 2009 4:51 am UTC

See the Four Color Theorem. The comic uses five.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Sun May 17, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

dennisw wrote:See the Four Color Theorem. The comic uses five.

Neat. I never knew there was a name for it. Although whenever I color like that, I also like to make sure they don't share any borders or points.

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Sun May 17, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

I see adjacent white circles.

(before someone says white isn't a color, I counter by pointing out that those circles ARE all the same hue, as it's impossible for them to be perfectly white (and thus have no hue))
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

Ari

Postby Ari » Sun May 17, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

I have a feeling that the white circles are only white for reader convenience. ;)
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

Dezign

Postby Dezign » Wed May 20, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Averaging the black pixel color of the texts over the area of their respective circles will almost certainly yield subtly different shades of gray for each one. Wheels within wheels!

Okapi

Postby Okapi » Sat May 30, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

I personally like the Sandman quote. I recently read Sandman again.

Though, of course, we are the people that would ignore the substance of a comic completely and focus on the subtle geometric or colour touches in the artistic aspect of the background.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

I recently told my son that the United States of America was a fictional place, like Narnia. I also explained that unfortunately the only doorway between was our apartment door.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Ego

Postby Ego » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:16 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:I recently told my son that the United States of America was a fictional place, like Narnia. I also explained that unfortunately the only doorway between was our apartment door.

aaand? what happened after? tell whole story

jaketurner

Postby jaketurner » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

Thanks for the link Dennis I've just read the whole Wikipedia article. It seems there is also some kind of three color theorem according to the article although didn't understand the whole thing so I may be a bit confused. Interesting article anyway.

Jake
Last edited by jaketurner on Mon May 17, 2010 3:37 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

mchainmail

Postby mchainmail » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Fun fact, the Computer Programmer who (wrote the code to) solve this lives in my town.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

Okapi wrote:I personally like the Sandman quote. I recently read Sandman again.

Though, of course, we are the people that would ignore the substance of a comic completely and focus on the subtle geometric or colour touches in the artistic aspect of the background.

After reading Sandman, every time I saw this comic I saw Barbie, in my mind at Wanda's funeral. It's quite sad, but I like the bit where she writes her correct name on the tombstone.

That said, yes the geometic touches were very interesting and I think that made it cool.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Ego wrote:
neoliminal wrote:I recently told my son that the United States of America was a fictional place, like Narnia. I also explained that unfortunately the only doorway between was our apartment door.

AAAAAAND... he's still 3. So we go to the United States of America quite often. You know, for adventures.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:
Ego wrote:

AAAAAAND... he's still 3. So we go to the United States of America quite often. You know, for adventures.

This is the type of thing I am going to do when I have children. If I ever have children. Which I probably won't. So it doesn't matter anyway.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

mchainmail wrote:Fun fact, the Computer Programmer who (wrote the code to) solve this lives in my town.

You pull this out whenever someone mentions the Four Colour Theorem, don't you? I would point out the futility of using the achievements of others to gain credibility for yourself...

...were it not for the fact that I would do exactly the same thing if I could :mrgreen:
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”