iPhone Geohash App

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

iPhone Geohash App

Postby recurve boy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

Searching revelas no mention of this app. So there you go!
recurve boy

Re: iPhone Geohash App

Postby sirgregg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Sorry to say, but there most likely won't be one. Unless of course someone feels like paying Apple for adding it to the supported software list. Which I honestly don't believe could ever happen....
sirgregg

Postby recurve boy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

No, I am saying that there is one. I.E. it already exists.
recurve boy

Postby J Spade » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

Care to explain? Link? More info?
J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby Jackster » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

The app's called Geohash and it's by Casey Cady. Not sure how to link to apps in the iTunes Store, so someone else will have to link to it, but it's the only result that comes up when you search for Geohash.
Jackster

Postby Avelion » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Downloaded as of 3 seconds after seeing this post. Now if only there were more people in Iowa on the boards.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow
Avelion

Postby recurve boy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:27 am UTC

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 51057&mt=8

You right click on the app title in iTunes.

Happy random meetups guys.
recurve boy

Postby Zer088 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

I was board and searched xkcd in the app store and what do i find? But this geohash app. Flipin sweet man.
Well i've downloaded the app, but I can't use any dates before December 15, 2002.
am I the only one with this problem? does anyone know why this is? Thanks in advance.
YaKKa Foob MoG. GRuG PubbaWuP ZiNK wattooM GaZoRK. CHuMBLE spuzz.
John Kaim: Love is the most powerful catalyst in existence.
Zer088

Postby Emu* » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:45 am UTC

Why would you want to hash that far in the past from an iphone?
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!
Emu*

Postby Zer088 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:32 am UTC

well first I wanted to see what my birthdate would do
When I couldn't, it sorta bumed me out.
Then I became curius why would the past be blocked,
why would any date be blocked (the future too)
But if you realy need a reason;
birthdays, first time you met someone, first time you did something (or someone). To name a few
Zer088

Postby Emu* » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

The future can't be hashed, because you don't have the stock exchange info (unless you do, in which case, gimmeh!)

As for the past, it depends whether the app is storing the exchange info locally or fetching them from a central server.
Since the servers listed here: http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/DJIA all go back further than 1992, I'm guessing it uses a local db, and hence is space-limited.
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!
Emu*

Postby Zer088 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

Emu* wrote:The future can't be hashed, because you don't have the stock exchange info (unless you do, in which case, gimmeh!)

As for the past, it depends whether the app is storing the exchange info locally or fetching them from a central server.
Since the servers listed here: http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/DJIA all go back further than 1992, I'm guessing it uses a local db, and hence is space-limited.

You didn't ask nicely, so no.

Damn I completely forgot the Dow thing (and how the rest of the world can't see the future)
Is the creator Casey here? Can someone summon this person? I've got ideas for updates (I'm probably not the only one)
Zer088

Postby PhilHibbs » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

Emu* wrote:The future can't be hashed, because you don't have the stock exchange info (unless you do, in which case, gimmeh!)

Yes it can be hashed - week-ends use Friday's opening number, and anywhere east of 30W uses yesterday's. So, I (being in the UK) should be able to calculate tomorrow's meet-up place right now, but it won't let me. Maybe it just thinks it's cheating to pre-calculate, I should have to wait and see.
PhilHibbs

Postby macronencer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:39 am UTC

PhilHibbs wrote:

Yes it can be hashed - week-ends use Friday's opening number, and anywhere east of 30W uses yesterday's. So, I (being in the UK) should be able to calculate tomorrow's meet-up place right now, but it won't let me. Maybe it just thinks it's cheating to pre-calculate, I should have to wait and see.

I've been geohashing in the last two months - three so far. I've had this app for a while on my iPhone, but it does not operate properly East of 30W. The geohash wiki's implementations page lists it as 30W-compliant, but this is not so. I have emailed the developer twice, left discussion comments on the wiki, and even stated as much in a review of the app, but so far Casey seems to be silent - I'll let you know if anything happens!

Basically, the 30W rule has been implemented in the app and it does know to use "the latest" DOW index, which changes in mid-afternoon in the UK - but unfortunately it still assumes that you get Fri, Sat and Sun hash info on Fri. What it should do is only give you Fri's hash (based on the Thu DOW) until the Fri DOW is available, at which point it should then also give you Sat, Sun and Mon.

I hope it gets fixed, as I really like the app. I even made some suggestions for improvements.
I think those are crocodile tears: you must be in de Nile.
macronencer

Postby TheGuyWithTheHat » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:24 am UTC

This is documented in the FAQ here: http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/FAQ and there is also one for Android phones. None for Symbian though.

Who will be the first to do a Palm Pre one? I'm learning JavaScript... :D
If English teachers teach English and Maths teachers teach Maths, then Head Teachers must teach...
Live in the UK? You must click here!

velocipirate wrote:but the question is, which cheese would a velociraptor choose?
TheGuyWithTheHat

Postby macronencer » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

A quick update: I am now in contact with Casey, and he says he will investigate the issue with the 30W rule.
macronencer

Postby macronencer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:16 am UTC

Update: I'm now beta-testing fixes from Casey, helping him sort out the bugs. Hopefully he'll be releasing a new version before long - it may have some new features too - watch this space!
macronencer

Postby hopesdead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

Well I've always been wanting to do this but I never understood how the whole process works.
How could you possibly think typing "import skynet" was a good thing?
hopesdead

Postby adrianlturner » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

I'm not sure that the behaviour of the app on either side of the Greenwich meridian is correct... It doesn't seem to accord with the xkcd formula... Today in London it is showing -0.68 something to the west and +0.32 to the east... I think the eastern coords should be +0.68. The app also aeems to snap to the nearest road, which obviously isn't ideal! This is a nice app but these need updating if it is to be used properly be all! Any chance the developer could release an update?
adrianlturner

Postby Wyle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:56 pm UTC

macronencer wrote:Update: I'm now beta-testing fixes from Casey, helping him sort out the bugs. Hopefully he'll be releasing a new version before long - it may have some new features too - watch this space!

Any news on an update?? Looks like this thread has met the same fate as the app support, but I thought I'd ask.
I still list my update suggestions ...
- map the location at the coordinates, not at the nearest road. A 5 mile bushwack makes a big difference.
- include NW, SW, NE, and SE map buttons ( I too live near the corner of 4 graticules)
- start the map zoomed out further. I need to see where it is in the county before I worry about which street corner.

And just in case I sound like a whiny user ... BIG KUDOS to Casey for taking this on and developing the app.

now where'd I put that last waypoint?!
Wyle

Postby Emu* » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:44 am UTC

adrianlturner wrote: Today in London it is showing -0.68 something to the west and +0.32 to the east... I think the eastern coords should be +0.68.

The current algorithm means the distance between points is always 1, whereas in your model, the distance between the first negative and first positive points would vary.
Emu*

Postby ajhammer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:58 am UTC

This will be a good application for my iPhone. The organizing of the pictures would be easier by using this application. Anyway, I would like to see some screenshots later for some idea on its features.
ajhammer

Postby mikethompsonuk82 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

Doesn't look like there will be support or development on this, unless i'm missing some cool link to some info on this? I doubt it, would be good to get this up and running though.
mikethompsonuk82

Return to XKCD Meetups