Melbourne meet-up?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Melbourne meet-up?

Postby ginnybee » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not over-excited about the locations. But I'm up for meeting somewhere. Someone suggested somewhere in pascoe vale?
ginnybee

Postby 03KTP35 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Yeah, they did, doesn't feel as adventurous though.
Friends and I have decided to make the one in the east graticule (near Hurstbridge) though using train and bikes. Probably won't be able to make the actual hash but will try our best.
03KTP35

Postby Bruce » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:13 am UTC

Sorry guys I am not enthused at present.... really poor excuse I know.

Someone tell me to get motivated and organise a meet up.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.
Bruce

Postby ginnybee » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:36 am UTC

Bruce! Get motivated and organise a meetup!

Also, Gnat, so weird to run into you today! Usually I don't randomly meet strangers from the internet and recognise them, but between facebook and all the melbourne hash photos, yay for knowledge!
ginnybee

Postby theduffman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:30 pm UTC

Ginny you spotted Courtney on the basis of online pictures! That's so cool and at the same time somewhat creepy.

03KTP35, how did the geohash go?

We're approaching pi-approximation day but it's a tuesday and hence I spend it at uni. :(

I'm comfortable waiting until an appealing geohash comes up, but if anyone has any alternative ideas for where to meet up or what to do I would be interested in hearing them :)
"Consequentialism: The belief that doing the right thing makes the world a better place" Please visit felicifia.org, the forum for consequentialists, to meet some smart people with interesting ideas.
theduffman

Postby 03KTP35 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Geohash went really well, using Google earth and maps we went to the end of the Hurstbridge line, rode bikes up and down hills for about 8 km walked down a hill quietly (had to cross a few fences so we supposed it was private property) and approximated the hash (no GPS). It felt really good at the time. Unfortunately, when i finally got home, I jumped on to Google earth and discovered (through various landmarks) we were about 400m west of the actual hash. We got everything else right except for the distance down a certain road. Lesson learnt: Buy GPS. But it was still awesome (another difficulty was public transport and 4 bikes, but we managed to avoid agro). We may upload pictures sometime.
03KTP35

Postby ginnybee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

I have mad skillzors at being cool but somewhat creepy. It's a hobby of mine.

I think we definitely need to arrange something.

Today (monday)'s location, for -38, 145 is in Carrum Downs. It would take a while to get there, but it's just a train then a bus. I don't know if anyone's committed enough to do the trip on a weekday, but the bus runs from Frankston station on saturdays. So I'm putting it out there as a possible saturday location, if the week doesn't furnish us with anything better. It's on a field or a park or something, but yeah, it's a do-able location.
ginnybee

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

Wait, other people are up at almost 6 am?

Although it occurs to me that perhaps you are just waking up.

Again, I'll try to go, but I'm not sure if it will work out.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby 03KTP35 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

Weekends are all i can do (unless its really close).
03KTP35

Postby gnat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Aw man. I could totally do the carrum downs one today, but I have a music lesson and I can't be late for it. :(
gnat

Postby theduffman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:54 am UTC

hmm, today's location seems like the best adventure offered to us in a while... in a public park, pretty-much in range of public transport...

I am sleeping at a friend's house Friday night, but if you guys decide to meet up on Saturday, I'll be there. I guess using today's geohash as a backup option for Saturday works for me. Is there any interest?
"Consequentialism: The belief that doing the right thing makes the world a better place" Please visit felicifia.org, the forum for consequentialists, to meet some smart people with interesting ideas.
theduffman

Postby l33t_sas » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Alas, I have work again. :(
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.
l33t_sas

Postby joff » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:03 am UTC

yeah, stick me down as a potential
mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ
joff

Postby 03KTP35 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

I'm potential a too, depending on how school work goes...
03KTP35

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

It looks like I might have to pass, got other stuff happening this weekend :S
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby theduffman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:56 am UTC

ok looks like we should meet up some other time.
theduffman

Postby dragon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

:O I met you today, theduffman! Most of the evening I was trying to work out if I had met you sometime before - I think now that I was half-remembering your pictures from this thread. Heh, so I've met someone from the xkcd fora now, wheeee.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.
dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby theduffman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:45 am UTC

whoa, that's awesome. That means two of us have been recognised through these photos. I guess it goes to show how much we young melbournian nerds love our xkcd and our xkcd forum? :P
theduffman

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Melbourne seems to be pretty good for xkcd knoweledge in general, judging by the number of people recognising my shirts compared to other peoples experiences.

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby dragon » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

One day I will be able to afford to buy some xkcd t-shirts. Then I will be recognised too. Hopefully in a similar manner to my companion-cube t-shirt; it gets a lot of compliments. And envy. 8)
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.
dragon

Postby Rowan_of_Rin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:15 am UTC

dragon wrote:One day I will be able to afford to buy some xkcd t-shirts. Then I will be recognised too. Hopefully in a similar manner to my companion-cube t-shirt; it gets a lot of compliments. And envy. 8)

Eh?! Where did you get a companion cube t-shirt?! I haven't bought an xkcd shirt because the shipping is so high..
Rowan_of_Rin

Postby dragon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:05 am UTC

Yeah, not fun when shipping costs more than the t-shirt itself. :(

I got my companion-cube shirt a fair while back. A friend of mine composed a design (here) and sent it off to Ink Style. Their printing is beautiful, and it wasn't anywhere near as expensive as I'd expected, especially for such a small run. From memory, less than ten shirts were made, which cost ~$25 each. Tis a company based in Australia, so shipping was negligible. He doesn't plan on doing another run, but you could always design a t-shirt yourself? I'm not sure what licensing issues would apply. In our case the shirts were given to friends at cost, I imagine you'd get in trouble for attempting to profit from portal stuff.

Surprisingly enough, Valve brought out a very similar design shortly afterwards. They only ship to the US, but I recently heard of companies set up to buy US products and ship them here more cheaply than the original people will. ... Now if only I could remember where I heard that, or some decent keywords for a search.. :?
Context? What context?
dragon

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:27 am UTC

Actually for xkcd, the shipping is $21 to australia whether it's 1 shirt or 500. Earlier this year I did a massive order but I didn't post on the fora because logistics for it were bad enough with just people I knew. However with around 30 shirts they came to less than $20 each australian.

I might set up another order in the far future but at the moment my wardrobe needs something else cool to balance out the xkcd a bit.

Anyway, if anyone wants to organise a meetup, I'll try to be there...

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby Hawknc » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:58 am UTC

Yeah, I'll attempt to actually make a meet-up at some point. Provided it's a weekend, anyway.
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby 03KTP35 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:36 am UTC

I've had an unfortunate spate of busy weekends lately, and this weekend follows the pattern.

I will, however, be free Saturday week. Hopefully the algorithm is kind to me.
03KTP35

Postby amanda » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:46 am UTC

hey well in the spirit of planning in advance so people can make it, how about sometime during the week starting 29th September? Also that's when my mid semester break is on for uni, I think most unis use the same week? :D
Johnny was a chemist's son,
But Johnny is no more.
What Johnny thought was H20
was H2SO4.
amanda

Postby theduffman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:37 am UTC

mm that would be an okay time for me but not a fantastic time.
How about everyone else?
theduffman

Postby dragon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

Too far ahead to tell if I will be busy or not at this point. If a probable day is chosen, shall mark my calendar and try to keep it free. :D
Context? What context?
dragon

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

For me, the mid semester break is the week before, but I have no classes on Mondays anyway so that would still work. Anyway, I'd try to keep it free if possible.

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby Mac » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

Today's hash is very achievable from Melbourne area. I'm going to have a go today. Anyone else up for it?
Mac

Postby Bruce » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:30 am UTC

I am very much up for that.
COMFORT, n.
Bruce

Postby Mac » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:44 am UTC

I forgot to mention that i'm time constrained. I'll be there around 3pm.
Mac

Postby Bruce » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:20 am UTC

I will be there at 4... other takers?
COMFORT, n.
Bruce

Postby Hawknc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:28 am UTC

I was at work. :( Stupid overtime.
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby theduffman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:20 am UTC

I read the message only at 5pm which seemed a bit late. Did you have fun?
theduffman

Postby ginnybee » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:56 am UTC

Gosh, haven't even looked at the hashes for AGES! We should seriously arrange something.
Incidentally, any XKCD'ers who are also Anon? I imagine there must be a little more crossover than me and the boy, the internet being as small as it is. Shall be at the raid on Saturday!
ginnybee

Postby ginnybee » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:02 am UTC

Also, ToeofDoom, was that the big order at Swinburne? Because cool. Was in a Business of Games lecture the other week, spotted several xkcd tees.
ginnybee

Postby Mac » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:02 am UTC

Mac

Postby Bruce » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:03 pm UTC

ginnybee wrote:Shall be at the raid on Saturday!

Tempted to be there with a 'Things are pretty OK!' sign.
COMFORT, n.
Bruce

Postby gnat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:06 am UTC

If you do, Bruce, please take photos. Hehehe!
gnat

PreviousNext

Return to XKCD Meetups