Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Antimony-120 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:54 am UTC

I can appreciate the difficulties of needing to get something done after a particularly good night out. I can even appreciate that sometimes you forget to stop drinking until morning comes. I can even go so far as to say that holding up the line because you don't understand something on paperwork is fine, since bureaucracy is a bitch.

But I need to get a new photo I.D. right now thanks to a nice little delay in having my license mailed to me. I also need to have it before Saturday, when I will be flying. The registry office closes in 10 minutes, and this is the only time I can reach them before then. And I do not particularly condone showing up to pay your various traffic tickets so they give you back your license while half-drunk at 7:50 pm with your car keys clearly hanging from your grasp. That they told me there is nothing they can physically do except give me an interim license with no photo was a nice touch.

Thank god regulations let me fly with two pieces of non-photo ID. And thank god I have that interim, the government regulations that say I can fly, My Birth certificate, my expired passport (new one coming), bank statements, me health card, pay advices, income tax documents, and enough other papers to kill someone with.

But I'm still going to hate it when security comes down on the 19-year old male flying one way with no photo ID.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:16 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I want one of those Creative Zen iPods.

I've been meaning to get a Sony Walkpod myself.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 am UTC

Fuck teenagers. First day of school. Sophomore year. The entire day was awesome. I'm always nervous as shit the first day. I was fine today. Like I said, it went really well. Then I'm in the last period of the day. I have plenty of friends in the class and everything. The class itself doesn't seem like it's gonna be too hard (chemistry class). The teacher had us pass these index cards that were on the desk up. I'm in the last seat, but there are tables behind us. I stand up and turn around to walk to the table to get the index card. The girl sitting at the table, out of fucking nowhere, mumbles some shit about me staring at her all creepy like.

I actually fucking know her. I thought we were casual acquaintances or something. Then, to top of off, the girl sitting next to her agrees. What the fuck? Seriously, I was fucking collecting the index card. Was I supposed to avert my gaze? Fuck that bullshit. I've never had anyone tell me I have a creepy stare. I wasn't even staring. I had just turned around, and now I've been thinking about it all day. I can't fucking stand random bitchiness. What the fuck? I try to be nice to everyone, why the fuck would you throw a random barb at me? On the first fucking day? Really? Jesus christ. If that cunt tries to talk to me again I'm gonna fucking tell that bitch off. God damn. I'm so fucking angry I'm shaking right now. I hope I'll feel a little better for having ranted somewhere.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
Moo wrote:WORK. SUCKS.

no wai... my job is teh awesome. I just wish i could leave uni and work full time again.

Why do people I am forced to do groupwork with reply to an email I sent them to say hi and organise a meeting for this afternon respond saying hi, then wait until this morning to email me again and tell me that they actually work during the day and cannot make it until afterwards.

Incidentally, I have a 3 hour lecture after this class, and we have to have this meeting today (we have to submit a bunch of stuff tonight).

I hate people.

so, I show up at 2pm for the 3pm lecture, and expect to meet the two guys who didn't say they had to work, but noone at all appears, so I just do all the work by myself.

again, I hate people (until they can prove that they don't need to be hated).

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

What the hell? An hour ago it was beautiful and now it's cloudy and gross.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

Yeah, tell me about it, just got soaked.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

I think Moo is an anti-Me... I really like the rain (not sure I would if we got as much as you guys seem to, but still).

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:I think Moo is an anti-Me... I really like the rain (not sure I would if we got as much as you guys seem to, but still).

We must keep Moo and Erasmus apart or they will destroy the world!
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:I think Moo is an anti-Me... I really like the rain (not sure I would if we got as much as you guys seem to, but still).
We must keep Moo and Erasmus together, to destroy the world!
fix'd - let's get going!
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

I don't mind the rain but the bad weather keeps our boats from going out, which means stupid angry customers.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

My work just sucked that day. Well the last few weeks, but usually I like(d) it. It is a bit annoying when you blow off steam in a rant and then get told you're wrong though, so that explains the karma that made me hate on something else you like.

I don't mind the rain either when I'm not cold AND wet, but when I'm trying to get loads done on my lunchbreak, and I'm wearing no coat and a white blouse and open shoes, I don't like it so much.

I'll list something else I hate, we can see if it's a pattern. You know, for Science! :D

Olives?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Are you ranting about them or not?

I'm not a fan of olives... the flavour just seems to take over anything you put them in.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

So does that disprove the theory or is it a false positive because technically I wasn't ranting?

Either way, somehow I feel like the earth has had a narrow escape there from our combined destructive power...

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

@Olives: EXACTLY! And because they taste great, who cares?! (Don't come up with "If I want to taste something because there are olives in them!" because we both very well know it's just a matter of not putting them in there, so you can taste whatever tastes better than olives.)
Ptolom wrote:penis

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

Moo wrote:So does that disprove the theory or is it a false positive because technically I wasn't ranting?

Either way, somehow I feel like the earth has had a narrow escape there from our combined destructive power...

well, I don't particularly like them, so I'll go with this being a mighty victory for science proving you are the exact opposite of me.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

Moo wrote:I'll list something else I hate, we can see if it's a pattern. You know, for Science! :D

Olives?

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

Fucking Irish alcohol laws. Fucking spineless government paying lip service to dampen the worlds image of our drunken selves. You can not buy off-licence alcohol after 10pm ANYWHERE, that's a nice big fuck youz to anyone who has to work until 10pm or later.. (like me.) And every club in the fucking country is required by poxy law to close bar at 2.30am, FUCKING 2.30am!

Jaysus shittin hell.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

I am an English student. This does not mean I never make mistakes or that you should very vocally alert me if I say something that is not grammatically correct. Mmkay?
Jesus Christ you have confused me

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Amoeba wrote:Mmkay?
This should be "Okay?", I think.
Spoiler:

Lolsaur

Postby Lolsaur » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

KingLoser wrote:Fucking Irish alcohol laws. Fucking spineless government paying lip service to dampen the worlds image of our drunken selves. You can not buy off-licence alcohol after 10pm ANYWHERE, that's a nice big fuck youz to anyone who has to work until 10pm or later.. (like me.) And every club in the fucking country is required by poxy law to close bar at 2.30am, FUCKING 2.30am!

Jaysus shittin hell.

You know what else is annoying in respect to that? The flippin' kebab closing at the same time as the pubs - those of us who stay till closing time then don't have enough time to get to the kebab shop for the mouth-watering (and at the same time stomach-churning) kebab!

But, my original rant was that http://www.hulu.com have a stupid international policy, meaning only those in the US can watch their videos. Also, Dr.Horrible is only on sale on iTunes in the US! How am I s'posed to watch it again?!?!?! I don't know how I managed it the first time through Hulu, but I did.
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:This should be "Okay?", I think.

We have a winner.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Lolsaur wrote:You know what else is annoying in respect to that? The flippin' kebab closing at the same time as the pubs - those of us who stay till closing time then don't have enough time to get to the kebab shop for the mouth-watering (and at the same time stomach-churning) kebab!

Yep, it's pretty much to the 24 hour Tesco for microwave stuff on the way home now. Sad times. :(

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

Rant - Portal quotes. Yes I had cake for my birthday. Yes portal is a good game. But why in the fuck do you insist on quoting it to the point where I want to strangle everyone who was involved in the project and everyone who has ever quoted it. SHUT THE GODDAM FUCK UP GODDAM IT!
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

Sarr wrote: Yes I had cake for my birthday.

Guess what?

THE CAKE IS A LIE!
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Sarr wrote: Yes I had cake for my birthday.

Guess what?

THE CAKE IS A LIE!
*stab*

ENOUGH OF THE CAKE. WE DON'T CARE ABOUT CAKE. IN FACT, I'M PRETTY SURE SEVERAL FORUMITES HAVE RANTED ABOUT THE CAKE AND ITS CONTINUED EXISTENCE IN OTHER THREADS ALREADY. IT'S JUST A GOOD THING THIS IS THE RANT THREAD, BECAUSE THE POWERS THAT BE MIGHT NOT COME DOWN ON ME SO HARD FOR RANTING ABOUT IT HERE.

Sorry about caps (shift key, released for apostrophes and other punctuation, is manual control for cool), but it needed to be said. Loudly.
Spoiler:

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

Thank you for that Cheese, it feels good to know people feel the same way as me.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Socal Swimmer

Postby Socal Swimmer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

Lolsaur wrote:
KingLoser wrote:Fucking Irish alcohol laws. Fucking spineless government paying lip service to dampen the worlds image of our drunken selves. You can not buy off-licence alcohol after 10pm ANYWHERE, that's a nice big fuck youz to anyone who has to work until 10pm or later.. (like me.) And every club in the fucking country is required by poxy law to close bar at 2.30am, FUCKING 2.30am!

Jaysus shittin hell.

You know what else is annoying in respect to that? The flippin' kebab closing at the same time as the pubs - those of us who stay till closing time then don't have enough time to get to the kebab shop for the mouth-watering (and at the same time stomach-churning) kebab!

But, my original rant was that http://www.hulu.com have a stupid international policy, meaning only those in the US can watch their videos. Also, Dr.Horrible is only on sale on iTunes in the US! How am I s'posed to watch it again?!?!?! I don't know how I managed it the first time through Hulu, but I did.

you could try using a proxy based in the us?
Sold that work?

Or is than not what proxies do?
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

Lolsaur

Postby Lolsaur » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Socal Swimmer wrote:
Lolsaur wrote:But, my original rant was that http://www.hulu.com have a stupid international policy, meaning only those in the US can watch their videos. Also, Dr.Horrible is only on sale on iTunes in the US! How am I s'posed to watch it again?!?!?! I don't know how I managed it the first time through Hulu, but I did.

Sold that work?

Tried a few proxy servers, but then Hulu just doesn't load the video at all. The video box is just a blank white box of nothing-ness.
Worst Fight Scene Ever

Spoiler:

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

cheese, I understand why you feel that way, I even agree that it is possible to reference something so much that all the cool is sucked out of it. But I think that occasionally slipping in references, especially to something many people will get, is not so bad a thing.

(this made so much more sense in my head than on paper (computer screen, whatever))

I will stop now before my brain completely washes away.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Awia

Postby Awia » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

Lolsaur wrote:
Socal Swimmer wrote:
Lolsaur wrote:But, my original rant was that http://www.hulu.com have a stupid international policy, meaning only those in the US can watch their videos. Also, Dr.Horrible is only on sale on iTunes in the US! How am I s'posed to watch it again?!?!?! I don't know how I managed it the first time through Hulu, but I did.

Sold that work?

Tried a few proxy servers, but then Hulu just doesn't load the video at all. The video box is just a blank white box of nothing-ness.

What? I could watch it a week ago, why doesn't it work now? Damn you Hulu!
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

Rant about certain trends in the writing community I'm a part of:
Some of you are idiots who even though you write don't seem to see it as an actual art form. Approximately once a week there's a thread which boils down to "Which should I be doing more of: 'show' or 'tell'?". This annoys me, because firstly newer, less experienced writers are getting confused since every other article or tutorial basically says something different, and often tells you to only ever do one and never do the other. Complete bullshit. The problem is that people don't seem to see that their writing is THEIRS. They can do whatever the fuck they want as long as you obey the rules of grammar (and even those have a bit of give in them, especially in poetry) . Neither way is correct, and anyone who rigidly sticks to one way of doing it (regardless of whether they've decided on the balance themselves) is a fool. It changes. If you're doing action you'll want to do different amounts of each then if two characters are having an intimate moment. Tone is something you should ALWAYS consider when writing, for every facet. Writing is art, and a very complicated one at that; you have to decide for yourself using intuition and judgment. It's not always easy and you'll end up making a few mistakes but that isn't the problem. There's always a rubber or a backspace or ink to scribble it out.

Who the hell came up with this stupid theory that there's only ever seven plots in the history of storytelling? That's completely idiotic. Plots can be simple and they can be very, very complicated. Saying only seven ever exist is a gigantic, moronic over-simplification. You can't simplify complex plots, it doesn't work like that.

Rant about random events:
I typed up the above rant a few hours ago but didn't post it because I looked a different tab, went back and it was all gone! Bloody computer/firefox.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Who the hell came up with this stupid theory that there's only ever seven plots in the history of storytelling? That's completely idiotic. Plots can be simple and they can be very, very complicated. Saying only seven ever exist is a gigantic, moronic over-simplification. You can't simplify complex plots, it doesn't work like that.
On seven plots: I'd say that if you have to be so minimalist, it's seven themes, at least one of which will be present (maybe prominent) in every story. But I hate the idea of seven plots too, so I'll just stick to saying Fuck Those Arseholes. And not in the Hey-Ho, let's have some anal sex kind of way.
Spoiler:

Lolsaur

Postby Lolsaur » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
Lolsaur wrote:
Socal Swimmer wrote:

Sold that work?

What? I could watch it a week ago, why doesn't it work now? Damn you Hulu!

Not working for me, anyway.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why a torrent would download with just the audio part, and not the visual? The file comes out as an .avi (not derived from the .flv), which is a video file extension, yes?
Worst Fight Scene Ever

Spoiler:

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

Lolsaur wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know why a torrent would download with just the audio part, and not the visual? The file comes out as an .avi (not derived from the .flv), which is a video file extension, yes?

Codecs dude, download VLC Media Player, open your vidya in that, and hey presto!

Lolsaur

Postby Lolsaur » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

KingLoser wrote:
Lolsaur wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know why a torrent would download with just the audio part, and not the visual? The file comes out as an .avi (not derived from the .flv), which is a video file extension, yes?

Codecs dude, download VLC Media Player, open your vidya in that, and hey presto!

Ah, I'll try that right away! Yes, Teapot and I will be watching Dr.Horrible tomorrow, hooked up to the bigger screen from the laptop! So long as VLC works.

Many, many thanks!

Here, have a hug, as I'm in a huggable mood! *hugs*
Last edited by Lolsaur on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:02 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Worst Fight Scene Ever

Spoiler:

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

*melts from human compassion... meeeeeltiiiiiiiing*

Let me know how it goes! :mrgreen:

Lolsaur

Postby Lolsaur » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

Yes! It works! I now love you, KingLoser! You have saved my earlier romantically nerdy plan of having an evening of Joss Whedon, starting with Dr.Horrible, then going onto Firefly episodes! We've already watched Serenity, though have no quams with watching it again.

EDIT: 100th Post!!
Worst Fight Scene Ever

Spoiler:

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

Brilliant! Glad to help, there's very little that VLC wont open up so keep it in mind.

Have fun, I'll be having a horribly unromantic night of working.... ftw! (Almost the weekend!)

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:48 am UTC

Who the fuck do you think you are to steal my happiness? You think you can crush my memories just because there are other people in this world who make me happy? FUCK YOU. All you ever do is whine about stupid shit when I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF EVERYONE! YOU DON'T DO SHIT FOR ME! NOBODY TAKES CARE OF ME BECAUSE I TAKE CARE OF THEM! So shut the fuck up and let me enjoy what I can...you can't steal my memories. You can't turn me away from my friends. You're supposed to love me. SO START ACTING LIKE IT YOU SELFISH ASSHOLE!
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Pirate.Bondage wrote:Who the fuck do you think you are to steal my happiness? You think you can crush my memories just because there are other people in this world who make me happy? FUCK YOU. All you ever do is whine about stupid shit when I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF EVERYONE! YOU DON'T DO SHIT FOR ME! NOBODY TAKES CARE OF ME BECAUSE I TAKE CARE OF THEM! So shut the fuck up and let me enjoy what I can...you can't steal my memories. You can't turn me away from my friends. You're supposed to love me. SO START ACTING LIKE IT YOU SELFISH ASSHOLE!

*Hug*

Sounds like bad times. :(
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Return to “General”