4%
Male/No Clear Preference or Majority
33%
Female/No Clear Preference or Majority
8%

Total votes : 114

Poll: Male or female singers?

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Two questions: are you male or female, and do you prefer/have the majority of your music by male or female singers? I think it will be interesting to see how they're related (or not).
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.
Vox Imperatoris

Re: Poll: Male or female singers?

Postby ShaKri » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:05 am UTC

i really have no preferance...

Synth/Power Metal
Tarja - Nightwish (i know there is a new chick... i prefair Tarja ;p)
LaBrie - Dream Theater

Pop/Soft Rock
Chris Marten - Coldplay
Avril Lavigne - Avril Lavigne

Heavy Metal and heavyer (heavyer being black metal, hardcore, folk metal(aka, viking metal/battle metal))
Randy Blythe - Lamb of God
Angela Gossow - Arch Enemy

For every style of music i like there are equaly as tallented musicians from both sexes ... and i like them both.

ps. im male
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000
ShaKri

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:17 am UTC

I generally don't like singing voices that conform to classical standards of beauty (nothing ideological, they're just not as interesting to me). Among the kinds of music I like, many more men than women have 'ugly' singing voices (e.g. Michael Stipe, Joe Strummer, Bob Dylan), and so I would have to say that I prefer male singers.
Guy_At_A_Keyboard

Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby ShaKri » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Guy_At_A_Keyboard wrote:I generally don't like singing voices that conform to classical standards of beauty (nothing ideological, they're just not as interesting to me). Among the kinds of music I like, many more men than women have 'ugly' singing voices (e.g. Michael Stipe, Joe Strummer, Bob Dylan), and so I would have to say that I prefer male singers.

you would love Macy Grey then... her voice is so unusual yet its brilliant :) and AC/DC ... unless thats not what you mean :S ??
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000
ShaKri

Postby Kizyr » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:53 am UTC

I had to pick no clear preference. It really depends on the genre, region, and just the quality of the singer. And even then sometimes I won't have any preference. If it's a more melodic song, usually I prefer female vocalists.

For South Asian music in particular, I prefer male vocals. For some reason, female vocals in South Asian music tend to be really, really high-pitched. I never liked it. Also, Qawwali is my favorite specific genre from the region, and that depends on a low and powerful voice, so it's all male vocals there.

Elsewhere, I don't have a lot of preference. I can tend to find examples on either end of any genre that comes to mind. KF
~Kaiser
Kizyr

Postby 1337geek » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Most of the music I listen to is by male singers, but the singers I think have the best voices are female.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig
1337geek

Postby telcontar42 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Guy_At_A_Keyboard wrote:I generally don't like singing voices that conform to classical standards of beauty (nothing ideological, they're just not as interesting to me). Among the kinds of music I like, many more men than women have 'ugly' singing voices (e.g. Michael Stipe, Joe Strummer, Bob Dylan), and so I would have to say that I prefer male singers.

I agree and would add Tom Waits to the list.
telcontar42

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Most music I like has male singers. That's a lot of indie-folk stuff, and metal. Men are pretty predominant in metal, and I'm not much for goth/symphonic stuff like Nightwish, and I thought Arch Enemy were laughably bad when I saw them live. The only metal band I like with a female lead singer is (was) Thorr's Hammer, though you'd never know she was female from her vocals (and it doesn't hurt that the music is some of the heaviest metal I've ever heard), and I like the female vocals in maudlin of the Well's songs.

Gregor Samsa has some great female vocals, as far as post-rock goes. A lot of indie-folk has female singers in a few songs that are good, but I can't think of any I listen to that have a female lead singer. I'm fine with female singers, if they're good, I think they can sound great (Inmates, by The Good Life, for example, has a female singer, and is one of my favorite songs that Tim Kasher has written). They just don't seem to flock to the vocal styles I prefer (Will Sheff, or John Darnielle, for example. Or someone like Will Oldham).
TheAmazingRando

Postby Ashbash » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:54 am UTC

A lot of my music is by male singers, but that's because of cultural norms I guess. I like music with both male and female vocals, but especially those with *strange*/crooked voices. Also those on the other end, with hauntingly beautiful ones (especially good harmonisers). Favourites include Tom Waits, Björk, Mark Knopffler, Dylan, Inga Liljeström, Imogen Heap, James Brown, David Byrne, Simon and Garfunkle, CSNY, Sufjan Stevens.

Oh and Keith Jarrett :D

Actually, woah, there's a lot more guys in that list. But I do appreciate the female voice more, for some reason.
Ashbash

Postby cypherspace » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

I mostly listen to rock and indie, which have predominantly male vocals. But I don't prefer one or the other, just generally the type of music they're associated with. Skin of Skunk Anansie's voice is one of the best I've ever heard, and Bjork and Imogen Heap I love.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"
cypherspace

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

The majority of my collection has male vocals, but I really have no preference. I generally don't listen to music for vocals - the vocals end of being incidental. Ok, so there are a few exceptions - Björk is one of the few people that just does it for me simply by singing. There are several other people who have great singing, like Thom Yorke and Liz Frasier, but I'm more into it for the music.

A few favourites: Thom Yorke (Radiohead), David Byrne (Talking Heads - I really love that guy), Lætitia Sadier and Mary Hansen (Stereolab), Björk, Jónsi Birgisson (Sigur Rós), Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips), Freddie Mercury (Queen) and Liz Frasier (Cocteau Twins).
SirMustapha

Postby Hyperfried » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

Yeah, no real preference here. Each person's voice is particularly suited toward the type of music that they happen to perform. (Unless it's bad, in which case I don't listen to it. :roll: ) I'll admit, yes, the majority of my music probably has a male lead singer, but, well, statistically, that's just how it usually is. But it's all good to me.
In the end, physics always has the last laugh.

Defenestrate! ~ A blog of epic proportions.
Hyperfried

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:11 am UTC

ShaKri wrote:...and AC/DC ... unless thats not what you mean :S ??

No. That's not what I mean. Screeching is just as dull to me as is crooning.
Guy_At_A_Keyboard

Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby b.i.o » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:26 am UTC

I'm male and I prefer having no singers.
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby Ashbash » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Yeah, but doesn't everyone?

Well, they should. :)
Ashbash

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

Man, that is a tough question. I think I prefer the female voice, but the great majority of girl singers sings like crap to me, and also the music I listen to rarely has them...
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."
ChocloManx

Postby AtomicCow » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:19 am UTC

See I have specifics. Like I love Lacey Mosley from Flyleaf, Kristen May from Vedera (previously Veda), and Karen Carpenter from The Carpenters (seriously, something about her voice chills me). I suppose if I listen to a female voice it has to be "haunting". I don't enjoy female voices in pop, or R&B, I like it with a band. I need a guitar somewhere. Which is why I liked Rihanna when she did that song with Maroon 5 (not a favorite band of mine, but I liked the song). I can't stand like Mariah Carey (who's voice is magic) but she's type cast to the same song every time. Not every song needs to hit every range within human hearing ability. Rihanna has done so many different things. I mean she did do Umbrella (the kind of repetitive songs I hate) but a song like Disturbia (which has an amazing video btw) is made for her, not her molded to it.

I can't believe she's 20, and from Barbados. Thank you Wiki for your glorious facts.

But mostly in rock (and most offshoots of rock) I feel like males generally translate emotions and meanings to me easier. (Warning: sexism ahead) A lot of female singers feel like whiners, not like their spilling their heart, but showing you what happened to it before putting it away quickly.

Example: Eric Clapton. I mean comparing him to a lot of newer artists is unfair, but his delivery is amazing. Tears in Heaven still makes me cry (Please, don't pander your conspiracy theories about this song here).
AtomicCow

Postby Adalwolf » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:49 am UTC

I'm a male, and I prefer male singers by far.
Live with passion. Die with passion.
Adalwolf

Postby Hyena » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:58 am UTC

i'm male and have no real preference over anything, except for metal (roaring). that is something that i've only ever heard men do exceptionally well at (and this is taking Angela Gossow into account).
Nougatrocity wrote:I refute it with having several female friends that OH MY GOD I WANT TO SEX. But that doesn't get in the way of friendship.
Hyena

Postby D.martin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:24 am UTC

I cant say that I like female or male singer, I like the singer that sings well no mater male or female. I think the thing to notice is his/her voice is good for that particular song or not.
If voice is correct then only to enjoy the song and music.
D.martin

Postby fersrs » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:57 am UTC

I'm female, and I like both male and female singers. However, I've found that there are more good male vocals than there are female vocals. That's not to say there aren't any female singers at all, just that I listen to more male than female vocals.
fersrs

Postby Sandry » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:39 am UTC

I would, in theory, prefer female singers, since I'm a soprano, and singing along with many male-fronted bands ends up with me jumping octaves in retarded places. In practice, what I actually listen to is pretty much half-half.

Female vocals are just not the same as male vocals for the feel of a group, and so I sort of enjoy them on orchestral metal stuff and folk stuff, but they just aren't quite right on things like industrial. Then again, I guess in most genres where that bothers me, the vocals aren't necessarily the emphasis.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Essah » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:34 am UTC

in order of awesomeness judged on their skills and singing style rather than their music.

Amy Lee(Evanescence),
Aaron Weiss (Mewithoutyou)
Jónsi ( Sigur Rós),
Florence ( Florence + the Machine)
James Blunt( Yes i think he's a great singer),
Dolores O'riordan ( The Cranberries)
Marshall Mathers ( Eminem)
Mike Skinner ( The Streets)
Essah

Postby The EGE » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:24 am UTC

Male here. I generally prefer male singers to female, but I prefer a small number of female singers - notably Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane - to just about anybody.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.
The EGE

Postby Microscopic cog » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:08 am UTC

Women don't sing the music I listen to.

Dammit I went to check and I don't have any bands with female vocalist. Only some who use female vocalists frequently but still male the majority of the time.

I am sad.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby sje46 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:59 pm UTC

This is a horribly designed poll. I have no preference, but have a clear majority for male singers. So I answered male/male singers, but now that makes it look like I prefer male singers. Which is not true. I prefer 60s rock, which makes up about 80-90% of my music, and is predominantly male. I do like Grace Slick's voice. Janis Joplin. Dorothy Moskowitz. Nico. That's all of the 60s female rockers I can think of. There are more, but the amount is just so much lower than the male singers. Female singers were more popular for pop music back then.

That said, I actually like the Mamas and the Papas.

Anyone have any female singers from the 60s/70s I would like?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:12 pm UTC

Jefferson Airplane!

Totally forgot that one. Amazing hippiness. Also as suggestion for above poster.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:30 pm UTC

I have a friend who despises female vocalists, and it made me realize how little of my music I could share with her. There are countless male vocalists I enjoy listening to but most of the singers I follow closely are female: Amanda Palmer & Brody Dale, for example, are two of my favourites. So, male with definite preference for female, but it's more a 60/40 thing.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow
Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby achan1058 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

It depends on the style. Classical Russian basses are wonderful (they are very deep), but otherwise I prefer female voices.
achan1058

Postby sje46 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Jefferson Airplane!

Totally forgot that one. Amazing hippiness. Also as suggestion for above poster.

Yeah, Grace Slick sung for Jefferson Airplane...but thanks anyway :)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
Microscopic cog wrote:Jefferson Airplane!

Yeah, Grace Slick sung for Jefferson Airplane...but thanks anyway :)

Oh. :( Didn't even know that.
Spoiler:

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Apeiron » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:46 pm UTC

Male, prefer female. i prefer their voices and i'd rather Madonna tell me i make her feel like a virgin than David Gahan saying he feels me. But it's mostly the voices. Would i rather wear a shirt made of fine cotton or burlap? Would i rather drink fine wine or mud with rocks in it? That's generally what it comes to for me.

My favorites:
Love Spirals Downwards/Melodyguild's Suzzanne Perry (heavenly)
Velocity Girl's Sarah Shannon (opera singer power/control sining indie pop)
Siouxsie Sioux (not as pretty, but powerful/dramatic)
Tori Amos (earlier the better)
Bjork (exuberant)

Male Vox:
Morrissey
David Gahan of Depeche Mode
VNV Nation's Ronan Harris
Yes, i'm olde

Over the past 10 years or so i've been listening to lots of rap, mostly Nerd Core and Beastie Boys. Starting to dig Run DMC (can i get a witness?). Male voices seem to capture the attitude and power behind rap. One of my favorite examples is the Judgement Night sountrack. It was 90's metal and grunge bands playing for ganster rappers. Seriously intense stuff.
Apeiron

Postby Dirk » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:02 pm UTC

I never quite understood why someone would have a preference in gender of the singer.
Dirk

Postby Apeiron » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

Dirk wrote:I never quite understood why someone would have a preference in gender of the singer.

It might not be preference, so must as tendency. i don't seek female vox, but they tend to appeal to me more often and more than male voices.

Then there are people who think that the music they like says something about them, so they learn toward or away from certain genders or what have you.
Apeiron

Postby achan1058 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:00 am UTC

Dirk wrote:I never quite understood why someone would have a preference in gender of the singer.
Most male singers aren't sopranos, and most female singer aren't basses. If you prefer a particular voice range or timbre, you will obviously have a preference.
achan1058

Postby RabbitWho » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:37 pm UTC

I don't know, most of my favourite singers are men.. I like a good rasp... love Courtney Love
RabbitWho

Postby Zanmanoodle » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:34 am UTC

Personally, I tend to prefer singers that put a lot of soul into it. But aside from that, it's whoever is singing with the right style of music I listen to (punk, garage, blues, hard rock). I suppose I end up listening to more male than female, though. It comes with the music.

Here's a quick list of faves:

Female:
Karen O
Florence Welch
Aretha Franklin
Alanis Morrisette
Grace Slick
Janis Joplin
Ann Wilson
KT Tunstall

Male:
Robert Plant
Freddie Mercury
John Lee Hooker
Elvis
Iggy Pop
James Brown
Howlin' Pele Almqvuist
Jim Morrison
Zanmanoodle

Postby Random-person » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Male/male. For every good female voice, there are at least a hundred equally good male voices. Same thing applies to bands: the reason girl bands are called just that isn't just because of discrimination, but because most girl bands... sounds like girl bands, rather than just good bands.

Though this could be because I mostly listen to hard rock and heavy metal, where there almost aren't any good female musicians at all. (No, Joan Jett would be nothing if she was male and seriously don't even bring up those horrible 80s hair metal bands).
Random-person

Postby Retne » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:56 am UTC

I only care if the music sounds good. Never really care which gender is making with the mouth noises. I do wish there were more female death metal lead singers though. :mrgreen:
Retne

Return to Music