[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

Wow. That's an old message o.0

I've seen the movie. I liked it. Watched it with my then girlfriend. Was fun.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

Moo, the costume is fabulous yes, but more importantly, you look gorgeous girl.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

I just re-realised today one of the huge advantages of being petite. Fitting into kid's sizes. This has been an awesome money saver - 12 year old's tights. I need to take more advantage of this...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:But seriously Meaux, what's wrong with ketchup?

Ew. Now that's fuckin' gross.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I just re-realised today one of the huge advantages of being petite. Fitting into kid's sizes. This has been an awesome money saver - 12 year old's tights. I need to take more advantage of this...

I am jealous! :(
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

corn syrop + red food colouring
or, gycerine and red food colouring.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

misskwiz

Postby misskwiz » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:07 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Artemisia wrote:But seriously Meaux, what's wrong with ketchup?

Ew. Now that's fuckin' gross.

Seriously! I just, please, no one, EVER use ketchup as fake blood, I'm failing at trying to put this into words here, because it's not a hate for ketchup, I put it on food! But just... anything else dealing with it makes me want to run out of the room screaming.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I'm surprised I use it all. I don't like how it tastes, smells, looks, feels, or sounds...

*shivers*
I am currently enjoying the pathetic anger bread of a dissatisfied life.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:11 am UTC

Blackberry juice! That at least works really well when it's still wet. Then it gets a bit purple.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:46 pm UTC

What's wrong with paint?

If I were told to paint something "bloody", I'd use blue paint and tell folks it's about blood before it's spilt.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

If I were told to paint something "bloody", I'd use blue paint and tell folks it's about blood before it's spilt.

O hai, we're going to have to take you out the back and shoot you for that one, so if you'll just follow me...

POPULAR MISCONCEPTIONS OF SCIENCE: NOT ALLOWED ON XKCD.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:

O hai, we're going to have to take you out the back and shoot you for that one, so if you'll just follow me...

WHAT ABOUT THE ROYAL FAMILY THEY HAVE BLUE BLOOD.

I know because I've cut the queen, for not clicking on my signature.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

Her blood is so blue, she was born wearing a gamine fur coats.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

I just ordered a DivaCup! Yay!

Also, I know I've asked this before, but wtf, long hair? Last night I had a semi-fancy birthday party to go to, and I couldn't make it do anything. It's long, uber-straight, thick...uncooperative....I feel I will never master the art of anything beyond a basic ponytail or braided bun.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Furkins

Postby Furkins » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

What's with all the guys in the womens thread lately? Oh well... I guess every man has to get in touch with his feminin side every once in a while and enjoy talk about clothes and menstruation...

aaanyway. I got a haircut today. And I'm not sure if it was such a smart idea. I have VERY short hair now. I think the longest bit is about 5cm... I just hope that I don't look too masculin now... The hair dresser said it suited me very well... but she was trying to sell me something, wasnt she? Can't wait to see my friends' reaction...

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

It is in your hairdresser's best interest to give you a good haircut...if they destroy your hair, you're pretty likely to go somewhere else. So I'd say their opinion is pretty valid. (I've had a couple haircuts that have had other hairdressers in the salon compliment it as well, which doesn't happen every time, so when that happens I know it genuinely is good.)

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:35 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Also, I know I've asked this before, but wtf, long hair? Last night I had a semi-fancy birthday party to go to, and I couldn't make it do anything. It's long, uber-straight, thick...uncooperative....I feel I will never master the art of anything beyond a basic ponytail or braided bun.
French braids can be pretty nice looking if you've got someone to help you out, and they work with hair down to mid-back-ish.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:37 am UTC

Okay, clothing question.

I have more skirts than I have skirt hangers. Which ones are best to fold/roll up and put in my dresser? Does it have to do with length? Fabric? Cut?

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:55 am UTC

Whatever doesn't look like it'll hold wrinkles?

Alllllso can you fit two skirts on one skirt hanger? I prefer that. personally.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:18 am UTC

Fabric, mostly.
Fold things made of jean, corduroy, or things that have stretch in them (hanging can make them all distorted and stress the fabric). Fold anything knit.

Hang things made of material that creases easily, or you'll have to iron it twice. Or don't iron it in the first place, and iron it when you bring it out of the drawer to wear. Hang things that are delicate, like velvet or silk.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:41 am UTC

helen wrote:Whatever doesn't look like it'll hold wrinkles?

I have absolutely no common sense about these things. If I were a Clue character, I would be Professor Plum. I have to be walked through very simple everyday tasks.

helen wrote:Alllllso can you fit two skirts on one skirt hanger? I prefer that. personally.

I am intrigued by your weirding ways.

Fabric, mostly.
Fold things made of jean, corduroy, or things that have stretch in them (hanging can make them all distorted and stress the fabric). Fold anything knit.

Hang things made of material that creases easily, or you'll have to iron it twice. Or don't iron it in the first place, and iron it when you bring it out of the drawer to wear. Hang things that are delicate, like velvet or silk.

Thanks, this is good stuff. *writes down.* What about rayon? I have one that's all rayon. I also have one that's 63% polyester, 34% rayon, and 3% spandex (but not stretchy at all.)

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:50 am UTC

Hang the rayon.

Rayon vs spandex... oh no! Conflict! I say fold it.
Edit: Actually, if it's not stretchy, then hanging would be fine. Either would be fine, I reckon.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:59 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:
helen wrote:Alllllso can you fit two skirts on one skirt hanger? I prefer that. personally.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the two of you said, but... I think she means by folding it in half and draping it over a standard hanger.

stockpot wrote:
PictureSarah wrote:Also, I know I've asked this before, but wtf, long hair? Last night I had a semi-fancy birthday party to go to, and I couldn't make it do anything. It's long, uber-straight, thick...uncooperative....I feel I will never master the art of anything beyond a basic ponytail or braided bun.
French braids can be pretty nice looking if you've got someone to help you out, and they work with hair down to mid-back-ish.

Yes, french braids. Find a friend (either a particularly patient friend or someone you don't *actually* care about) and learn on her (or him). They're not as hard as they look, though.
Also, you can do a braided bun, yes? Then you can do a braided bun with just the top half of your hair. *shrugs* It's a nice change of pace.
Octopus clips are my best friend. I never leave the house without one. Not all of my hair fits into it, but I just shove it in my hair and it does the job without all of those painful hairpins.

Huh. I could've sworn I wore my hair in more ways than that...OH GOD, you just forced me to come to terms with the fact that I have all of three hairstyles.
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

lamito

Postby lamito » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:03 am UTC

I must be so out of it. i mean i've never heard of these so called diva cups or what ever (yes i know that was ages ago but if you want to fight...).
also i have a question. have any of you ever used PMS as an excuse to get something, say chocolat, from a male friend. it works a treat coz they just don't want to question it.
*thumbs up and grin creepy-like*
Spoiler:
you just wasted a few seconds of your life. congratulations

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:08 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:
Quixotess wrote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the two of you said, but... I think she means by folding it in half and draping it over a standard hanger.

I interpreted it as two skirts being held by one skirt hanger. When I say "skirt hanger" I refer to these handy little numbers (spoilered for big)
Spoiler:

Some people also use the ones with the clips, but I prefer the other ones. Anyway, thanks jess, I will do as you say.

Edit: found better pic

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:12 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:
Quixotess wrote:

Oh, heck no. I forgot how many clotheshanging pet peeves I have until this came up. A skirt/pants hanger has two clips; I can fit two items between the clips, back to back, and I can *see* both of them, so no big. And I tend to have a lot of skirts of similar length.

Folding would bother me. And a drawer full of skirts would bother me like nobody's business (they'd take up the whole drawer and I couldn't tell what was what and I'd forget about things and I hate that). Small or unimportant things in my dressers (tshirts, nightclothes), big things hung up, or I lose track of everything superfast.

Ninja'd! Edit: I don't even know how to use one of the ones you posted. I like clips.

I am also unhelpful. I was trying to remember the gist of wrinkliness of different materials but I only know from looking/trial and error.
Last edited by H.E.L.e.N. on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:19 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:Huh. I could've sworn I wore my hair in more ways than that...OH GOD, you just forced me to come to terms with the fact that I have all of three hairstyles.

Hehe. I used to have very long hair. My standard hair regime was: Wet hair in the morning, comb with a wide comb. Shake off a little then let it dry like that. When dry (and in wild curls), twist up and stab through the ragged bun thing with a pen. Or a pencil. Or a chopstick. End of regime.
What I have now is what-has-regrown-since-I-shaved-it-off hair. Yay for short-ish hair!

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:21 am UTC

helen wrote: I don't even know how to use one of the ones you posted. I like clips.

They're really easy; you snap the hook part down and it unlocks the two, uh, flap-things so you can fit the skirt(s) between them, then just snap the hook part back and it's locked in place. I prefer them to the clips, which can pinch/indent the fabric. Working in costumes my friend (total sewing/clothing/crafts dork) came across one of them, and I'm pretty sure it changed her life forever, her face just lit up when she realized how it worked. Hee.

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

Spoilered for quote pyramid.
Spoiler:
helen wrote:
IronyandParadox wrote:
Quixotess wrote:

Oh, heck no. I forgot how many clotheshanging pet peeves I have until this came up. A skirt/pants hanger has two clips; I can fit two items between the clips, back to back, and I can *see* both of them, so no big. And I tend to have a lot of skirts of similar length.

Meh. *looks at floor of closet* Yeah, screw the clippy hangers. In fact, screw hangers as a whole.
I mean, I try to keep my clothes neat. But it's mostly to placate my parents. Only occasionally do I actually hang up my clothes to keep my inner neat freak happy.

__jess wrote:Hehe. I used to have very long hair. My standard hair regime was: Wet hair in the morning, comb with a wide comb. Shake off a little then let it dry like that. When dry (and in wild curls), twist up and stab through the ragged bun thing with a pen. Or a pencil. Or a chopstick. End of regime.
What I have now is what-has-regrown-since-I-shaved-it-off hair. Yay for short-ish hair!

I love your terminology. Yes, hair is a "thing." Yes, "stabbing" it is appropriate conduct. =D
Also, I don't know what I would do if I cut off all my hair. I'd feel so...so...lost without it. =(
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

Yeah I use skirt hangers for two skirts sometimes. There are some skirts I roll, some fabrics are stretchy and wrinkle, so after they dry i roll them to prevent creases and kind of stack them on a shelf in my closet. I can't stand dressers. I forget what's in them (someone else mentioned the same thing--I hear you!). So I bought an open shelf thing and put some baskets on it...that's where I store most of my clothes.

My personal pet peeve are those stretchy plastic things on the inside of shoulders to some garments. Ostensibly they are to keep wider necked shirts from slipping off hangers, but they always stick out when you wear them. They are the first thing I hack off when I wear a new shirt.

P.S.
Thanks for the advice re diva cups out and about. I guess I could always just not use it on my heaviest day...it's not like I'm feeling marvelous that day anyway. :P
Rice Puddin.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

I do the two-skirts-per-hanger thing when I run out of skirt hangers. Also, skirts that would be good in a dresser=skirts that are made out of synthetics. Polyester, spandex...things that don't wrinkle. NO linen or 100% cotton (unless it's jersey), and no silk.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:37 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Jack Saladin wrote:

WHAT ABOUT THE ROYAL FAMILY THEY HAVE BLUE BLOOD.

I know because I've cut the queen, for not clicking on my signature.

Also, horseshoe crabs. I also understand that there's a kind of skink that bleeds green.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:58 am UTC

Being a new college student with less hangers than at home, I just fold up my cotton skirts and iron them before I go out. I'm such an iron fiend anyway, pretty much everything gets pressed from pillow cases to jeans to blouses to t-shirts.

I'm a bit behind on the pages, but I hate the whole sizing situation as well. I'm a 6 (I average the sizes of all the different stores). At stores like the GAP and Banana Republic, I'm a 4, but their sister store, Old Navy, I'm a straight 6 across the board. The more expensive brands seem to be generous with their fabric on the smaller sizes, so I've found myself having to go down a size to get something that fits despite being the same size.

It is a little frustrating trying to buy clothes online though, you can never really tell what will fit and what won't.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:45 am UTC

lamito wrote:also i have a question. have any of you ever used PMS as an excuse to get something, say chocolat, from a male friend. it works a treat coz they just don't want to question it.
I can buy my own chocolate, but I definitely use PMS as an excuse to eat far more of it than I'd otherwise consider acceptable. :P

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:05 am UTC

Agh. I took today's pill at ~11am, then managed to throw up at around 3pm. Do you think that would affect its reliability?

Re: skirts and hangers
I don't bother, everything that can fit gets folded. But, then again, I'm a slob. Most of my clothes actually reside either on my floor, or in my bed, along with a variety of folders, books, dictionaries, and pens, which are all buried between the layers of my three blankets (I get cold).
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:20 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:Re: skirts and hangers
I don't bother, everything that can fit gets folded. But, then again, I'm a slob. Most of my clothes actually reside either on my floor, or in my bed...

I'm the same way. Clothes are usually either folded or on the floor. It's especially hard because it's not just my clothes but my boyfriend's as well.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:58 am UTC

"If it's brown, it goes down; if it's yellow, stay mellow" does not cover all possible colors.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:Agh. I took today's pill at ~11am, then managed to throw up at around 3pm. Do you think that would affect its reliability?

As much as I'd love to tell you you're FIIIINE, it might have affected it, yes. You're on the edge of fine tho, 3-4 hours is usually enough to digest your pill. You could play it safe and take another one, but you might want to rethink that if you react really strong on it if taken on odd times, like me. What week are you in? I believe there is a week during which forgetting/not digesting one is harmless, if I remember it right from the microgynon 30 pill I used to take.
This too shall pass

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:"If it's brown, it goes down; if it's yellow, stay mellow" does not cover all possible colors.

yeah, like: If it's blue, call your friends to have a look....

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:
eternal luna wrote:Agh. I took today's pill at ~11am, then managed to throw up at around 3pm. Do you think that would affect its reliability?

As much as I'd love to tell you you're FIIIINE, it might have affected it, yes. You're on the edge of fine tho, 3-4 hours is usually enough to digest your pill. You could play it safe and take another one, but you might want to rethink that if you react really strong on it if taken on odd times, like me. What week are you in? I believe there is a week during which forgetting/not digesting one is harmless, if I remember it right from the microgynon 30 pill I used to take.

The paper my GP gave me says I can actually miss 2 of my microgynon 30 pills without a problem, no matter which week it is.

Return to “General”