0469: "Improvised"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CuBr

Re: "Improvised" Discussion

Postby CuBr » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:43 am UTC

EtzHadaat wrote:And a .0003% chance of surviving something is not good odds, no.

Do you work for Verizon customer service by any chance?

NeoThermic

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:08 pm UTC

I hate to bring truth to such a great comic, but while the original script had Han saying "Just remember that, Leia, because I'll be back", his "ad-libbed" line of "I know" was actually suggested by Han himself to director Irvin Kershner, whom asked him to say the line as a test. It was deemed a better reply, especially considering that they were unsure, at the time, if Han would come back in later films.

</star-wars geek>

NeoThermic

esmooths

Postby esmooths » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:Clearly you never encountered the boundless love Bilbo Baggins harbored for Gollum.

No.

No. No. NO!

Pass the mind bleach! You ... you ... you heathen!

Now I have the phrase "What has it got in its pocketses?" stuck in my head with an awful image.

/cries.

NO GOD WHY???????????? DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, maybe a little overdramatic, but still... damn you.

Have to agree with most everyone else, my favorites are the "that explains the kissing" and "nailing your brother" lines.
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Lazy Tommy

Postby Lazy Tommy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

NeoThermic wrote:I hate to bring truth to such a great comic, but while the original script had Han saying "Just remember that, Leia, because I'll be back", his "ad-libbed" line of "I know" was actually suggested by Han himself to director Irvin Kershner, whom asked him to say the line as a test. It was deemed a better reply, especially considering that they were unsure, at the time, if Han would come back in later films.

</star-wars geek>

NeoThermic

Erm... as far as I'm aware, "Han" is just a character, played by the actor commonly known as "Harrison Ford". If "Han" himself, i.e., the actor, suggested the "I know" line, then that is ad-libbing.

Also, it's "who", not "whom", in that context. OK, I'll shut up now. :wink:

NeoThermic

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

Lazy Tommy wrote:Erm... as far as I'm aware, "Han" is just a character, played by the actor commonly known as "Harrison Ford". If "Han" himself, i.e., the actor, suggested the "I know" line, then that is ad-libbing.

From your very link:

to act, speak, etc., without preparation

If Harrison Ford agreed with Irvin Kershner before the scene was shot that he'd say "I know" rather than his scripted line, then it can't be ad-libbing by definition.

NeoThermic

eddyk68

Postby eddyk68 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Best. Comic. Ever.
And I contend that, at the end of ANH when Luke tried to browbeat him about not helping, Han would not have said "Hey Luke- may the force be with you." Instead, he should have said , "Hey Luke- Go F*ck yourself."
Anyhow- posted below is the discussion Han should've had with Chewbaca before going out to save Luke in the beginning of ESB
Attachments
han.jpg
han.jpg (58.67 KiB) Viewed 8506 times
Sigh. It seemed like a good idea at the time

cparker15

Postby cparker15 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

I was reading this comic on the main page, hit random, and was brought to this comic: http://xkcd.com/362/

Rigged random button, or Twilight Zone material?
Peter Gibbons wrote:I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

dharmamama

Postby dharmamama » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

I just want to say, I love Leia's hair on a stick figure. I didn't even notice it 'til the last panel, when I thought it was a big eye! I was trying to figure out... who is that? @-_-@

redneckracin

Postby redneckracin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

ATTN RANDALL

Please make comics that make me laugh again. Since the journal series I have been unable to even be mildly amused.

Thanks in advance,

Travis

RDon

Postby RDon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

mvrck wrote:Pretty sure that assuming the whole 42 thing doesn't work out, Harrison Ford could be replaced as the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.

No. It would clearly be Vin Diesel.

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

Am I the only one that didn't find this comic funny?

bluon

Postby bluon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

After reading the "nailing your brother" joke, did anyone else think "but Han didn't know at that point that Luke was Leia's brother?" :)

Yes, I think I am officially a Star Wars geek. Great alt text for that line too.

Bosonator

Postby Bosonator » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:Speaking of growing hair out, it seems Harrison Ford is one of the few males Randall has seen fit to grace with hair - the only other case I can think of right now is Black Hat Guy, as depicted in Journal 2. Significant?

Risk Astley had hair too, when they Rickrolled him back in #351: http://xkcd.com/351/
God I can handle... it's His fan club that scares me.

Invertebrate

Postby Invertebrate » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:Clearly you never encountered the boundless love Bilbo Baggins harbored for Gollum.

No.

No. No. NO!

Now I have the phrase "What has it got in its pocketses?" stuck in my head with an awful image.

/cries.

You're a really bad person, did you know that?

However...

'We cannot go up the tunnels so hasty. We must get some things first, things to help us.'

If only that chapter was the one called Queer Lodgings!
'Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens.'
~ Gimli.

chocolatefan

Postby chocolatefan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:
Red Hal wrote:Now I have the phrase "What has it got in its pocketses?" stuck in my head with an awful image.

/cries.

NO!

It's in my head now too! Curse you!

...Mine too. ARGH!!! And I was about to watch House M.D.. Now I have a really weird image that involves Gollum, Bilbo, and a bewildered Greg House.

:(

lambda_warrior

Postby lambda_warrior » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

niko7865 wrote:Anyway, what is the famous "I know." line from Empire Strikes Back?

Others have told you what the actual line is, but the reason it is famous is that there are many progressively juicier stories about how it made its way into the script. The generally repeated rumor is that the scripted line was, "I love you, too," but after repeated takes (some reasons often cited for this: Carrie Fisher repeatedly flubbing the take (either because of fatigue or because of other tabloid-esque reasons people like to repeat) or Harrison Ford messing up over and over because he was becoming increasingly frustrated with the scripted line), Harrison Ford finally responded to Fisher's "I love you" with an exasperated "I know!" and everyone liked it so much that they kept it in.

I believe all of the above is pretty much an urban legend, and that NeoThermic got the real story right (not sure of the citation, but I think it's the "Making Of" book?):

NeoThermic wrote:I hate to bring truth to such a great comic, but while the original script had Han saying "Just remember that, Leia, because I'll be back", his "ad-libbed" line of "I know" was actually suggested by Han himself to director Irvin Kershner, whom asked him to say the line as a test. It was deemed a better reply, especially considering that they were unsure, at the time, if Han would come back in later films.

However, the story people find funnier continues to be told, and Star Wars geeks all over love hearing it and repeating it. And whether or not the line truly was ad-libbed, one could make a case for xkcd being correct in calling it "famously improvised" in the same way one could say that Al Gore "famously said he invented the Internet" or talk about Larry Summers' "famed sexist tendencies" -- not as necessarily being true, but as an oft-repeated, and in this case heavily romanticized, rumor.

And yes . . . I am also a Star Wars geek.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Doodle77 wrote:Am I the only one that didn't find this comic funny?

Nope. I'm a big SW fan, but this easily ranks as one of the worst comics for me. None of the responses seemed clever or funny. Lame, but can't win 'em all, I guess.

NeoThermic

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

lambda_warrior wrote:I believe all of the above is pretty much an urban legend, and that NeoThermic got the real story right (not sure of the citation, but I think it's the "Making Of" book?)

Once Upon A Galaxy: A Journal of the Making of The Empire Strikes Back by Alan Arnold (ISBN 978-0345290755).

NeoThermic

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:
Red Hal wrote:Now I have the phrase "What has it got in its pocketses?" stuck in my head with an awful image.

/cries.

NO!

*whimper* although this also reminds me of this comic http://www.explosm.net/comics/1366/

of course the most famous of Harrison ford's improvised lines that never made it was at the end of Airforce one where he screams out "I've had it with these mother fucken terrorist on my mother fucken plane!!!"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Not Bernard

Postby Not Bernard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

/cries.

"Is it nice, my preciousss? Is it juicy?"

Yeah, the comic though. I liked it, though a couple of the panels weren't great (too much of the "I love you" line). The asteroid one is my fav, for some reason.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

paragon12321 wrote:
bbctol wrote:Before seeing "I'm doing your brother" I had not even dreamt of the Luke/Han pairing. Now I realize there must be countless tomes of slash.

Can Rule 34 please fail, just once?

I'm sorry; Rule 34 is always correct.

EDIT:
Not Bernard wrote:

/cries.

"Is it nice, my preciousss? Is it juicy?"

Ewww...... :shock: :shock:

Ezbez

Re: Improvised Discussion

Postby Ezbez » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:The last one is my favorite.

To me, it also calls into attention how racist Leia is for saying that in the first place.

Please, it's "speciesist."

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:

No.

No. No. NO!

/cries.

HAHAHAHAHA. Oh my goodness, THANK YOU for that.

Also, Randall, you = <3 <3 <3. As someone else in the thread said, the world needs more Star Wars references. :D

And the last panel is my absolute favorite, haha. Delivered fantastically!
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

Pixie

Postby Pixie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

I think I might be the only one seriously disturbed by the incorrect spelling of wookiee.
TWO E'S. TWO.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

Pixie wrote:I think I might be the only one seriously disturbed by the incorrect spelling of wookiee.
TWO E'S. TWO.

...holy crap... I'm so used to people misspelling it that I didn't even notice... :shock:
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Spoiler:

Purple

Postby Purple » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

Pixie wrote:I think I might be the only one seriously disturbed by the incorrect spelling of wookiee.
TWO E'S. TWO.

What disturbs me is that the second to last panel isn't form ESB; It's from ROJ!

What the hell? Way to not be rigorous with your art Randall!

*I slap back the dark side of the nerdy part of myself*

Sorry about that, won't happen again.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Purple wrote:What disturbs me is that the second to last panel isn't form ESB; It's from ROJ!

Well, the comic states that his "I know" line is from tESB, it doesn't say the rest of them are...

Spoiler:

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

EtzHadaat wrote:I think the top middle panel would've fit right in to the movie.

And a .0003% chance of surviving something is not good odds, no. What?

Teh possibility of surviving is 3720 to 1.

The way I view that as (in a literal way) is
3720 times they will survive
---------(this is a fraction)-------
1 time they will die.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

hamsterpoop

Postby hamsterpoop » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

paragon12321 wrote:Can Rule 34 please fail, just once?

Alder

Postby Alder » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

I was chuckling quietly till I came to "Barely. They're pretty drunk."

At which point I snorted. Ah....... :D
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

"3+4" pic: well, now I'm scarred.

I'm a huge SW fan, so I loved this strip. But my favorite movie ad-lib remains an exchange from Terminator 2: as our heroes are preparing to blow up Cyberdyne Systems,the police arrive.

HAMILTON: How many?
FURLONG: All of 'em, I think.

jevans90

Postby jevans90 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:30 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
Syphon wrote:
It's a moon, but yes.
"
THAT'S NO-" ...yeah, ok, sorry...

That was my first reaction too. Guessing that's a good thing...
Dammit Randall, It's 3:30 AM and all I want to do is watch the whole trilogy back to back right now!
Enjoyed muchly, thanks.

HPDDJ

Postby HPDDJ » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Second panel is my favorite. Probably would have gone down as one of the funniest movie quotes ever.

blueberry

Postby blueberry » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Marry me, Randall. You had me at "nailing your brother." :D

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:20 am UTC

Hey, we're talking about Han Solo here, not Captain Jack Harkness!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Name Already Taken

Postby Name Already Taken » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:24 am UTC

chocolatefan wrote:
Brother Maynard wrote:

/cries.

NO!

...Mine too. ARGH!!! And I was about to watch House M.D.. Now I have a really weird image that involves Gollum, Bilbo, and a bewildered Greg House.

I keep thinking this mental image can't get any worse, and people keep proving me wrong. For pure mental trauma though, the idea of Bilbo/Gollum is still second to the Dolores Umbridge/Margaret Thatcher short story I once saw. By accident, I swear. The true horror was that it was so ... so right.

Loved the second to last panel. That would have worked much better than the actual scene did.

Not Bernard

Postby Not Bernard » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:26 am UTC

Name Already Taken wrote:I keep thinking this mental image can't get any worse, and people keep proving me wrong. For pure mental trauma though, the idea of Bilbo/Gollum is still second to the Dolores Umbridge/Margaret Thatcher short story I once saw. By accident, I swear. The true horror was that it was so ... so right.

That's...disgusting. No other word for it really.
Link?

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:34 am UTC

Invertebrate wrote:Best line for me was, 'I'm nailing your brother,' for its simplicity. Ahhh, the crappy jokes are always the best. I now have an urge for Star Wars, however.

You would have to remind me of that Sexy Losers comic, wouldn't you?

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:08 am UTC

ConMan wrote:Speaking of growing hair out, it seems Harrison Ford is one of the few males Randall has seen fit to grace with hair - the only other case I can think of right now is Black Hat Guy, as depicted in Journal 2. Significant?

The politician in 'Wikepedia Protester' also has hair...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Invertebrate

Postby Invertebrate » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

Name Already Taken wrote:
chocolatefan wrote:
Brother Maynard wrote:

/cries.

NO!

I keep thinking this mental image can't get any worse, and people keep proving me wrong. For pure mental trauma though, the idea of Bilbo/Gollum is still second to the Dolores Umbridge/Margaret Thatcher short story I once saw. By accident, I swear. The true horror was that it was so ... so right.

Loved the second to last panel. That would have worked much better than the actual scene did.

You are sick, you are sick, you are sick sick sick, like you're sociologically sick. I know I'm quoting West Side Story, but it still stands.

Actually, possibly the funniest thing I ever saw was a Hermione/ Ginny that had the IMMORTAL line, 'She lovingly grappled her lover's tits.'
'Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens.'
~ Gimli.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”