What webcomics have you STOPPED reading?

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: What webcomics have you STOPPED reading?

Postby Quixotess » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:41 am UTC

QC (okay, never really got started on that one, but there was drama, so), and Toothpaste for Dinner.
Raise up the torch and light the way.
Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:37 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Felstaff wrote:PBF, because it forced me to.

I find this Truck Bearing Kibble thing that someone mentioned recently to be an excellent (and much less freaking creepy) substitute.

I remember being pointed to Truck Bearing Kibble; I think it was the Where's Wally? Sniper one, and lo, there was much sniggering.

I forgot, for most of you, that should be Where's Waldo? Sniper. (and Où est Charlie? for you Quebecans? Quebecers? Quebecists?) Why on earth they changed the name to Waldo for the American market, I'll never know.

Anyhoo, I thought that the comic's material was suitably and deliciously dark, but its presentation, particularly with the overly-emphatic garishly-primary-coloured-oversized-boldened-text-and-near-obsessive-use-of-double-apostrophes webpage design, was off-putting. (Not the comic artwork itself, which is fairy-tale clean with the blackest humour I have seen since PBF).

I just get the idea that the webpage would be more suited to a 'wacky-with-a-capital-w-c-and-y' comic, rather than one with diabetic popular video game characters, mythical woodland creatures being trained by R. Lee Ermey, and military base construction aligned to the Treachery of Images.

All in all, it needs more creepiness.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Whispering » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Penny Arcade- I think I just got bored of the same old same old.
User Friendly- Read above.
Clan of the Cats.- Don't really remember why I stopped reading this one.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.
Whispering

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Yeah, User Friendly can be a little stale. (I seem to recall it was a lot better in many ways a few years ago.) But it's something I can look at while eating breakfast, and its occasional topicalness keeps me informed.
Jorpho

Postby Whispering » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Yeah, User Friendly can be a little stale. ...occasional topicalness keeps me informed.

I thought that's what /. was for. I thought the storyline for User Friendly as it was petered out after sludge puppy (I think thats right).
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.
Whispering

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:40 am UTC

Whispering wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Yeah, User Friendly can be a little stale. ...occasional topicalness keeps me informed.

I thought that's what /. was for. I thought the storyline for User Friendly as it was petered out after sludge puppy (I think thats right).

Nah, UF is better at it than /.
Amnesiasoft

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:07 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I remember being pointed to Truck Bearing Kibble; I think it was the Where's Wally? Sniper one, and lo, there was much sniggering.

I just read through some of it and... did not like. He ruins a lot of the jokes by making them obvious, and the utter opaqueness of PBF was part of the appeal. You get the feeling it would have been a better joke has it not been said out loud. The sniper one is a good example - if you just erase what the clown says, suddenly the entire frame is a lot more funny.
existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:58 am UTC

Everything that isn't sinfest, girlgenius, lfg or goblins.
Last edited by AngrySquirrel on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The way to a man's heart goes through his ribcage. Screaming "KALIMA KALIMA" also helps.
AngrySquirrel
Eats nuts for breakfast...

Postby Random832 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

theamberkey wrote:Sluggy Freelance is the big one for me. It was my favorite webcomic for a long, long time. After a while I just realized it wasn't good anymore, and for every week he updated, he took three weeks off as a break with filler art or joke comics, right in the middle of serious storylines. Few things enrage me like filler art treated like an appropriate substitute for a comic.

Citation needed; I don't think he's ever posted filler on three consecutive weeks. (As for me - I stopped reading it for a long time because I didn't have the patience for Oceans Unmoving, and I still haven't gone back and read that bit)
Random832

Postby Will » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:12 am UTC

Yeah, I've stopped reading more webcomics because they've ended than anything else. PBF, MacHall, RPGWorld.

I stopped reading MegaTokyo because it was just WAY too slow for a three strip a week format, and especially since Fred can't seem to stick to that schedule, so it's closer to 2 strips a week. When I stopped I thought I would go back periodically and catch up and that I'd enjoy it a lot more if I could take it all in at once, but I never did, and really, I'm just not as into the whole anime/otaku subculture as I was when I started reading it.

I read about 100 strips into 8-bit theater and just got sick of it. Decent idea, but it just ran dry. Apparently it's still running?

I've half stopped reading CAD, when the whole baby storyline started, but I caught up because of the whole miscarriage thing. The strip just really isn't that funny as it used to be; when I started reading it I didn't read as many webcomics as I do now, so I didn't realize how much better other stuff is.

Sinfest I stopped reading--and this is kindof a dumb reason--because they don't have an RSS feed. I went through a long period where I only read comics via RSS and so I missed a lot of Sinfest. Coming back to it, the jokes are starting to feel a little tired. I still love it, but there's only so many ways to tell the same joke.

I still read VGCats, on the off chance he updates, mostly because RSS pokes me when there's a new comic. I still love the comic, and I wish he'd update more regularly, but I've heard through the (obviously totally reliable) internet grapevine that Scott Ramsoomair isn't really that interested in doing the strip anymore. Frankly, I'll take him making a decent comic once every few weeks to him cancelling the strip outright.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:22 am UTC

Will wrote:I still read VGCats, on the off chance he updates, mostly because RSS pokes me when there's a new comic. I still love the comic, and I wish he'd update more regularly, but I've heard through the (obviously totally reliable) internet grapevine that Scott Ramsoomair isn't really that interested in doing the strip anymore. Frankly, I'll take him making a decent comic once every few weeks to him cancelling the strip outright.

What's baffling is that he still seems to be an Invited Guest to so many cons.
Jorpho

Postby 4=5 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:20 am UTC

bunny
northworld (it's good, I just stopped reading it because of school)
ugly hill
I might stop pebble version
apple geeks
real life comics
we the robots
megatokyo
errent story

and others that I don't have bookmarked
4=5

Postby Dream » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:55 am UTC

I quit on MegaTokyo because the pacing was rubbish and the humour was apparently surplus to requirements and was cut.

One time I stopped reading White Ninja, but then I went back to it, and spent days laughing so much I could barely breathe. Never missed one since :)
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.
Dream
WINNING

Postby 4=5 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

Whispering wrote:Penny Arcade- I think I just got bored of the same old same old.
User Friendly- Read above.
Clan of the Cats.- Don't really remember why I stopped reading this one.

I stopped clan of the cats because I realized that there was only going to be crisis after horrible crisis in the story. No variety makes it boring.
4=5

Postby Belial » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

4=5 wrote:I stopped clan of the cats because I realized that there was only going to be crisis after horrible crisis in the story. No variety makes it boring.

That.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Dream wrote:I quit on MegaTokyo because the pacing was rubbish and the humour was apparently surplus to requirements and was cut.

One time I stopped reading White Ninja, but then I went back to it, and spent days laughing so much I could barely breathe. Never missed one since :)

Megatokyo's pacing would be fine if it was presented in the manner that he REALLY wants it presented in: the graphic novel format. It might even be brisk in that situation. He's effectively posting two or three pages a week out of a several hundred (thousand?) page book, and it really doesn't work too well, despite the Tokyopop reprints.
Endless Mike

Postby Marleen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

I've stopped reading "The Noob" aka Clichéquest. It was fun in the beginning. Now it's... not. I think.
Marleen

Postby Felstaff » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

You can all start reading PBF again, there's a new one up, and it's as cancerously black as ever.

Hopefully there won't be another 2-3 month gap until the next. Gurewitch is only in semi-retirement, after all.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby tin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

Yaaays. PBF updates!

Hmmm, well I've given up on Megatokyo as now it's just ridiculously up it's own arse. VG cats is a strip I forget about and then stumble upon again, only to find that it's still not updated (which is the same with Raymondo Person). Sinfest is screaming to be syndicated, but I find it dull for a webcomic format and faded away from it. I'm also starting to lose the faith with Sam and Fuzzy, as this Ninja Mafia storyline just seems so damn tiring. But I think Sam Logan is a really cool guy, so I might keep up with it.
i dare you to take me on...
tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby theamberkey » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
theamberkey wrote:Sluggy Freelance is the big one for me. It was my favorite webcomic for a long, long time. After a while I just realized it wasn't good anymore, and for every week he updated, he took three weeks off as a break with filler art or joke comics, right in the middle of serious storylines. Few things enrage me like filler art treated like an appropriate substitute for a comic.

Citation needed; I don't think he's ever posted filler on three consecutive weeks. (As for me - I stopped reading it for a long time because I didn't have the patience for Oceans Unmoving, and I still haven't gone back and read that bit)

Citation cannot be given, because no way am I trawling through ten years of daily comics to support a figure that I pulled out of my ass. My point is that he did/does it a lot.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key
theamberkey

Postby EmptySet » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 am UTC

Megatokyo. It jumped the shark a while back.

I'm also considering dropping QC and Bunny, because they're getting rather repetitive.
EmptySet

Postby CogDissident » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

Sluggy has had entire filler story arcs, lasting months, where nothing happens, nothing gets resolved, and it ends up being completely pointless. A lot of his earlier stories were good, but when his cast got bigger than the simpsons, it got a little out of hand.
CogDissident

Postby Joeldi » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:01 am UTC

When I first started reading them, I read a whole heap of really bad ones

The Wotch and pokemon X I gave up on because they were just not good.

Misfile I still plan to go back and read someday, I left it when I had less time for reading webcomics.

Venus Envy was good up until it stopped updating for like a year.

I just forgot what on earth was meant to be happening in Sorcery 101.

8-bit was my first webcomic. I got about half-way through the archives, then got sick of it. Recently I've gone back to it, because It's nearly at the end of the game and I wanted to see it end.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"
Joeldi

Postby phlip » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Well, as of today, CAD is no longer in my list. I just realised I hadn't read it in a while, and caught up on almost a month's-worth of comics... and didn't laugh once. I think I almost smiled at one of them, maybe. So yeah, it's gone.

I also caught up on a month of C&H at the same time, but laughed at (I think) about 2 of them... so it stays, for now.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby kellsbells » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Belial wrote:
4=5 wrote:I stopped clan of the cats because I realized that there was only going to be crisis after horrible crisis in the story. No variety makes it boring.

That.

QFT. After a while I just got massively tired of it.

I can't summon to mind any others I given up, not at the moment. I know my webcomic favorites list used to be much longer, but the names have faded. Probably means I did right in deleting them.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.
kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby Jorpho » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:29 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:8-bit was my first webcomic. I got about half-way through the archives, then got sick of it. Recently I've gone back to it, because It's nearly at the end of the game and I wanted to see it end.

Really?

I wonder what will happen to the great Clevinger media empire afterwards.
Jorpho

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:46 am UTC

I stopped reading Dr. McNinja. No fault of its own, because I thought it was pretty good. I just fell behind a bit once the Raptor-riding Mexican story finished, and never really put aside enough time to catch up with it. There's been about 7 more eparc stor'ys since.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Random832 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

CogDissident wrote:Sluggy has had entire filler story arcs, lasting months, where nothing happens, nothing gets resolved, and it ends up being completely pointless.

I think we have different definitions of "filler".

I'm thinking of stick figures, repetitive art weeks, etc. Those are only ever* for one or maybe two weeks at a time.

When he is actually drawing comics, that's not filler. Even if it is Torg Potter. Because, "nothing happens, nothing gets resolved" is a matter of opinion - it doesn't have to be telling the SAME story all the time to be telling a story and to be worth reading.

*as far as I can remember
Random832

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:Venus Envy was good up until it stopped updating for like a year.

It's back :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Joeldi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:59 am UTC

Jessica wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
Joeldi wrote:8-bit was my first webcomic. I got about half-way through the archives, then got sick of it. Recently I've gone back to it, because It's nearly at the end of the game and I wanted to see it end.

Really?

It's back :)

They are currently fighting dragons in the temple of fiends

Excellent, maybe I'll try and find where I got up to then
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"
Joeldi

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:23 am UTC

Actually, the best part of 8-Bit Theatre/Nuklear Power used to be Twinkin' Out with Red Mage and Ask Evil Princess Sara... but I guess those features were unable to withstand the attentions of vast hordes of Internet F*ckwads. (In fact, there used to be a lot of great little features like that, but it seems like they just dried up when Clevinger became otherwise sucessful.)
Jorpho

Postby toshiro » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

Something Positive, because watching Davan being mopey gets boring after a while.
Antihero For Hire, for reasons stated above.
Dominic Deegan, because the art just wouldn't improve beyond a certain point, and the story was not that good to begin with.
Penny Arcade (which I actually never really got into), because I just don't like the style (hey, de gustibus...)
Sabrina Online (good for reading the archives, but 3 comics/quarter is just not enough)

These just off the top of my head, there are others the name of which I cannot remember... about 10-20 of them, which I guess is pretty normal.

Then there are lots of comics that quit on me, first and foremost Clone.Manga (no, I do no consider what Dan Kim is doing updating, although when he does post, the stuff is awesome. But there is nothing like regularity). And As If!.
toshiro

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:

Really?

He'll probably be fine since he's already got an Eisner-nominated series out.
Endless Mike

Postby Decker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Little Gamers because I just forgot about it. 8-Bit theaters just got old. VG cats because it didn't give me enough for waiting a week for the update, and that's when he DID update. The Devil's Panties because it just seemed to be slowly burning out.

I have recently started reading Overcompensating and have picked up Achewood again.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.
Decker

Postby Various Varieties » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Kevin and Kell - When I first discovered it in 2004, I went on a complete archive binge. Since it had begun in 1995, that meant a lot of clicking on right arrow buttons. Somehow, despite reading so much of it at once, I wasn't put off by its repetitiveness ("I'm a predator!" - "I'm prey!" - "ho ho ho!"), and instead I was sucked in by its ridiculously complicated continuity. After that epic crossover with General Protection Fault, that aspect of the strip was toned down (understandably), and I gradually stopped keeping up with it.
Last edited by Various Varieties on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Various Varieties

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:28 am UTC

I know I've seen a few Looking for Group avatars around here. The art style was sufficiently intriguing that I read through the archives, which actually didn't take that long. I found no reason to keep reading it, though. It seemed as though it couldn't quite decide between "fluffy fantasy comic" and "dark brooding overriding story arc", or at least couldn't maintain the balance as well as other comics do.
Jorpho

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:31 am UTC

I remembered some others:

Misfile- I guess I just got bored with it. Some of my friends were readers, and i haven't heard from them much lately.

Mind Mistress- I'll probably go back to this one. The art is kind of.... hard to look at, but the writing is good (if a bit unpolished), and it's interesting and original.

There's a couple where I basically read through the archives and didn't get into them enough to remember to look for updates, Strange Candy, Megatokyo and others I'm forgetting.

And the ones that are one hiatus, or ended:
Unicorn Jelly- Ended a while before I started reading. It's pretty Epic.

9th Elsewhere- I guess the author's been kind of busy.

Beaver and Steve- :cry:
cephalopod9

Postby HighCharity » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:Sluggy Freelance and CAD.

I'm saddened that PBF and Minus are over...

It's NOT over! He's on a hiatus!

/denial

I, too, am saddened by the end of it.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.
HighCharity

Postby Jessica » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

toshiro wrote:Then there are lots of comics that quit on me, first and foremost Clone.Manga (no, I do no consider what Dan Kim is doing updating, although when he does post, the stuff is awesome. But there is nothing like regularity). And As If!.

Oh clone.army.

I knew Dan kim in university. He's a creepy creepy guy.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Gazing Rabbit » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

This.
With some exceptions.
Any spelling and/or grammar mistakes in the above post are due to Israel's defective education system. Not that there should be any, but it's always better to blame someone else.
Gazing Rabbit

PreviousNext

Return to Comics/Graphic Novels