INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

theSleepingMan

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby theSleepingMan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

I forgot to post here when I first joined so heres I gos.

My names Brian, I'm only 16 and I'm and atheist. I'm in my junior year of high school. I really don't know what I want to do now. I thought at first I might be interested in something in the language department but AP Lit this year has killed that notion. Anyhoo, I'm a big time nerd, I read comics a lot. My hobbies include reading, the aforementioned comic collecting, and researching Scientology. Scientology is an evil cult in my opinion so I follow up on activism against the cult and such. I've been a fan of xkcd, and seeing how I can't go onto the City of Heroes message boards anymore (account expired, parents won't let me get new one) I figure I can linger around here on my off time.

Eh, let's see what else... I've never had a girlfriend (working on that this year) and my favorite food is shrimp teriyaki. Any questions?
"Every one of us is precious in the cosmic perspective. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another."
____Carl Sagan____

Abstruse

Postby Abstruse » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:14 am UTC

theSleepingMan wrote:I forgot to post here when I first joined so heres I gos.

My names Brian, I'm only 16 and I'm and atheist. I'm in my junior year of high school. I really don't know what I want to do now. I thought at first I might be interested in something in the language department but AP Lit this year has killed that notion. Anyhoo, I'm a big time nerd, I read comics a lot. My hobbies include reading, the aforementioned comic collecting, and researching Scientology. Scientology is an evil cult in my opinion so I follow up on activism against the cult and such. I've been a fan of xkcd, and seeing how I can't go onto the City of Heroes message boards anymore (account expired, parents won't let me get new one) I figure I can linger around here on my off time.

Eh, let's see what else... I've never had a girlfriend (working on that this year) and my favorite food is shrimp teriyaki. Any questions?

Language degree .... in COMICS!

(and yes I'm serious, you can actually do that.)

AshenPuppeteer

Postby AshenPuppeteer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:34 am UTC

Here's a bit of an odd introduction. This is a sock puppet account for someone who's already introduced him- or herself in this thread. I made this account with Belial's permission.

The account really exists for one purpose. I'm planning a sort of existentialist alternate reality game (or something sort of like that), and it's the sort of thing that would greatly benefit from the input of xkcders. As the puppetmaster/GM of that game, I want to remain anonymous, and using my preexisting account on these forums to ask for xkcders' input runs the (admittedly minor) risk of a player stumbling across the forum and blowing the mystique out of the water. I figured a sock puppet account would be the safer choice in this situation.

So hi again.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:12 am UTC

Salutations! I thought I would have more to type when I actually started making a post but my mind is drawing a blank here so excuse me please. :oops: Oh well, I hope to get along with people here in general, and have some nice discussions even though this forum isn't the usual type of place that I sign up to join (I'm a role-playing person usually).
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

Atte

Postby Atte » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

Hi!

I'm Atte, a 16-year-old boy from the snowy country of Finland. I'm currently studying math and physics in upper secondary school. I spend most of my free time on the computer, mostly programming and chatting. When I'm not on my laptop wasting enough bandwidth to power a third world country, I can be found in the nearby woods riding a bicycle.

Oh.. I also drink way too much energy drinks and hate "Basic Human Decency" and people who get "offended" way too easily...

Samej

Postby Samej » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

Hi! you can probably guess my real name from the screen name I'm using (No, it's not a typo (or rather it was, but on something else and I've carried it forward)). I actually joined quite a while ago (over a year ago in fact) but haven't been active in ages.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

Abstruse wrote:
Sprocket wrote:Wow, I'm a math fan girl in a similar way.

How rare a breed are Math Fan-persons?

Now I kinda feel like going to the math dept. at the local college and hanging up encouraging posters.
Like I should pose for these posters and they could read "You may think you're a dork, but she thinks you're hot."
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

aurasprw

Postby aurasprw » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Hi there everybody.

I'm Benjamin, a 20 year-old Chinese American from the city of Berkeley, California. I'm studying abroad in Hong Kong at the moment. My interests include the social sciences, drawing, games, mixed martial arts, and debate. Politically I'm somewhere between Democrat and Libertarian. I'm agnostic but becoming interested in Buddhism as I learn more about it. My dream is to write a graphic novel that is both entertaining and shares the wisdom I've gained in my life.

Things I do for fun:
Draw
Party
Read webcomics/manga
Dota
Deep conversations about life and the world
Hike
Smash Brothers

Books I'm reading right now:
The Power of Now
Tao te Ching
The Science of Good and Evil
Star Wars: Survivor's Quest (Timothy Zahn)
The Last Lecture

Uh.. yeah! I think that's pretty much me in a nutshell.

raygun

Postby raygun » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

hello. i'm new-ish. i've been checking out the forum for about a year (although I just recently became a member). i mostly check out the online gaming forum and check out new games to kill time. i read comic books, and play pen and paper rpgs. i enjoy video games, but haven't owned a console for a few years--mostly due to time constraints.

xydexx

Postby xydexx » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

Random trivia, for those who are interested in me for some inexplicable reason:

Born in 1968, and I'm officially Old now. I'm originally from Westchester County, NY (just north of NYC). Someone once commented I have the patience of a Saint, and the morals of Satan.

I'm obsessed with abandoned buildings and old maps and local history, and spend an inordinate amount of time researching and/or trespassing visiting decrepit old structures and sometimes entire towns that no longer exist. I'm very familiar with the Hudson Highlands region (my old stomping grounds) and the cornucopia of abandoned iron ore mines and crumbling mansions in that area.

I've been online since 1982, when I connected to CompuServe with my 300 baud acoustic coupler that I bought for $350. To think there was a time when I didn't think 1200 baud was necessary! :D

Around 1990-1991, I published a zine called The Grumbling Yak. Got to hang out with Mike Gunderloy and pals at a Factsheet Five party at least once.

I found out about furry fandom in 1993. I'm currently serving my sixth year as Publications Director for Anthrocon, the world's largest furry convention. Time flies when you're having fun.

I spend my free time (what little I have) outdoors riding around the DC-area bike trails on a Sun EZ-Sport recumbent bicycle (a/k/a "my weirdo bike"). I used to like bike riding until I got a recumbent; now I love bike riding.

I'm currently a homeowner in Loudoun County, VA. Professionally, I do desktop publishing/graphics/proposal work. I'm very good at what I do, and that makes it fun.

I drive a 2007 Toyota Prius and am very happy with it.

I have great enthusiasm for the cute and weird stuff that makes the world awesome, and a low tolerance for people who enjoy being asshats.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Samej wrote:Hi! you can probably guess my real name from the screen name I'm using (No, it's not a typo (or rather it was, but on something else and I've carried it forward)). I actually joined quite a while ago (over a year ago in fact) but haven't been active in ages.
...your user number is 1359. You're older than 95% of us here*. Wow.

Oh, and hi.

*including spambots
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Bear Police

Postby Bear Police » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:06 am UTC

My name is Ameen. I am male and a freshman in high school. I spend most of my time listening to music, riding my bike, watching movies, and playing the drum set. As far as music goes, I mostly listen to noise rock and hip-hop. I like certain comics and books while I do not like other ones. Some that fall into the former are Watchmen, Fight Club, House of Leaves, Ender's Game, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Sandman, and Blankets. Some of my favorite movies are Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, American Beauty, Memento, Following, and Pulp Fiction. I'm only describing my interests as opposed to giving a history of my life because I am uninteresting and have never done anything.

So, this place seems pretty cool.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:40 am UTC

theSleepingMan wrote:Eh, let's see what else... I've never had a girlfriend (working on that this year)

I was beginning to think I was the only one, even in the nerd community.

I got played by a girl before I was double digits (yes, it is that bad).
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

BoG_

Postby BoG_ » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

Hi everyone. I saw intro thread, so I thought it would be where I introduce my self.
I have been reading the XKCD comic for a while, and occasionally lurking on the forums. I've been impressed by the intelligent discussions that occur, and finally decided I want to participate.
I'm an 18 year old freshman at the University of Utah, and and political science major. I've lived in Utah most of my life and, yes, I am a mormon, and no I don't drink coffee, nor do I have horns.
My life consists of eating, gaming, running, and school. Gaming is my original passion, and I am truly a geek. I'm currently training for a marathon in St.George, Utah which happens in October.
I'll likely continue to lurk, but if I have something to say, I will say it.

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

Greeting and salutations my nerdy brethren. I am Jedifreak.

I'm 18 years old, and male. I only recently found out about xkcd, and once I read them all, decided to join the forums. I enjoy reading, video games, manga (why yea, I am Otaku), math, and LARPing. I discovered xkcd when I was visiting Georgia Tech this summer, and sombody had printed out a few programming oriented comics and posted them on the wall. It took a few months, but I found this website (They didn't write down a link).

I am currently homeschooled and taking a class on Cyber Security at a local college. I have 30 hours of college credit that I got while homeschooling. I have completed the College Algebra and College Trigonometry. I consider my FPS skills pretty good, and I love RTS's, but I can't beat anyone online because I like to upgrade everything first, and I play for a long term game. I'm trying to correct this. I am interested in politics, and I am voting in November. I am voting for McCain. Finally, I have a very low tolerence for stupid people (hot coffee spilled in my lap? THEY MUST PAY! kind of people) and belittle them whenever I see them.

That is all. Thank you for reading.
http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=Jedifreak
http://www.geist-panik.com
Jin_Asias wrote:I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library

Tessa R

Postby Tessa R » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:19 am UTC

Ah, intro thread, I hardly knew you..

Getting sidetracked already, huh..

Anyhow, I'm nearly 24 (I expect free cake on the twenty-first) and I live in new jersey as a barely willing transplant out of Texas.

"came roun' these parts", as my family might say, for the various serious business events and to better enmesh myself in the great pulsating hive mind.

Be seein' ya! (in a general sense)

StickFigureLover69

Postby StickFigureLover69 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Hey everyone at the XKCD fora. My name is Chris, and I live in a small town in NJ (not as bad as everyone says it is.) I'm a freshman this year, I discovered this gem of a website from someone at Gamefaqs a while back and just joined recently. My screenname is stickfigurelover69, copied from my AIM with the vowels added in. This is something I chose after I "dated" a stickfigure in eigth grade and then brought her to a school dance (printed out and laminated, a full fourteen inches tall !). I have had trouble getting a girlfriend because I am not confident enough to do it (save for one time, making me 0 for 1 baby). I am pretty well liked, almost as that nerdy annoying kid that people can tolerate for the most part, and has managed to make a decent amount of friends. A few of my friends are girls, but I have abseloutely no chance with any of them (them being in the in crowd, and I not being part of the in crowd). I have been asked out before however even though I had refused. I am playing football for this year and then I'm going to go back to ice hockey. Lastly, I've noticed that I have only had major crushes (2 months - 18 months) on girls who I have played hockey with(all three of which played defense), am I weird for this? (Or am I weird because I like anime chicks?)

danson

Postby danson » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

Good evening, earthlings.

I'm danson, and I'm a web programmer. Once trained in the ancient art of scheme/LISP and java, I've long since turned to the dark side and sold my soul to VB/MFC, then php. Then, I was rescued from the gutter by the missionaries of python, and now am on a long road to recovery.

I enjoy discussions about art, fashion, music, movies, social and political issues (in small doses), and all sorts of geeky things. I have walked the earth like Caine in Kung Fu, through Boston, New Hampshire, NY, SF, LA and parts of Asia... and I'm currently working in Seattle, enjoying a devastatingly beautiful summer of Pacific Northwest.

So there you have it. Now you know me. Come to Seattle, and I'll buy you a beer.

Mondaine

Postby Mondaine » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

xydexx wrote:Random trivia, for those who are interested in me for some inexplicable reason:

I'm obsessed with abandoned buildings and old maps and local history, and spend an inordinate amount of time researching and/or trespassing visiting decrepit old structures and sometimes entire towns that no longer exist.

Are you familiar with the abandoned factory where Popeye Doyle had the shootout with 'Frog 1' in The French Connection? I've always wondered about that building, what it was, etc.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Re: POST HERE FIRST - INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby felltir » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

Savara wrote:Hi. :)

I'm from England (yes, another Brit), and have just finished my A levels - I'm currently working for QinetiQ during my gap year before going to Durham to study Computer Science next October.

You, my friend, are very much welcome.

SPREAD THE RED

BOATTRAIN

ANCIENT EGYPTIAN LAZOR CHESS
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

irelocus

Postby irelocus » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Hey, I'm ireLocus.

Just discovered xkcd.com, via a long chain of events starting with me reading Mark Z Danielewski's House of Leaves for the third time, and ending with me finding the House of Pancakes comic. I'm definitely enjoying working back through the archives of comics, Memento style, not getting the inside jokes just yet. (Raptors?)

It's hard to know what else to say in an introduction discussion thread. I'm into a lot of things, most of which fall under the larger categories of Arts & Sciences.

For now I'll try to jump into some of the discussion, get a feel for the place. I'm sure you'll have me figured out soon enough.

ekm

Postby ekm » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:48 am UTC

I'm Edith, I'm 20, and just about to start my 4th year at university. I study International Studies and Political Science, so to put off entering the job market with a useless major I'm hoping to do a masters program next year in the UK. But we'll see...

As for a "job" I study full time and am a voracious reader. :D (I joined the boards to throw my 2 cents into the Books section...) I've been reading xkcd for about half a year, maybe, but only joined the boards about half an hour ago. I like to climb trees, travel, watch movies, go on walks, read, play logic games, and listen to music. And when there are lulls in conversation I find that it is always a good time to develop a zombie escape plan. (I think zombie's may be to me, what raptors are for xkcd.)

Dragolplume

Postby Dragolplume » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:26 am UTC

Losing my first-post virginity :P

I'm an 18 year old female person from the great land of Kiwis (of all types)...

I listen to music on vinyl whenever possible, read anything with words and live in a state of near-constant chaos (I like it that way)

Going on to university next year. No idea what I'm going to do yet. Probably will end up flipping a coin or somesuch and heading in some biology-oriented direction.

I'll be around, maybe. Sporadically. If I remember. :mrgreen:

a386

Postby a386 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:49 am UTC

dragolplume your avatar gives me the jibblies.

*ajibbliejibblie*

_Big_Mac_

Postby _Big_Mac_ » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:30 am UTC

I'm not a bot. Or a raptor. Really.

21 years old (had birthday yesterday!) male from Poland, studying computer science. I enjoy airplanes, cake, drums, brains, cats and science. I should fit right in, no?

Before I die I want to learn to dance, fly a glider, create an AI for a killer robot and buy me one of those flying cars we should be seeing soon (go singularity!).

I don't really like bigmacs. The nick has little to do with food.

Vertana

Postby Vertana » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

Hey everybody! I've been reading xkcd comics for a long time now, but finally decided to join the forums so I can get to know the people who read the same comics I do and laugh at some of the same jokes (seems logical to me...). I'm only 19, but I'm a sysadmin in the military. Right now, I am stationed in Camp Lejeune, NC. Kind of a boring place, but being in the military I've gotten to meet some off the wall people (you'd be surprised by some people who joined, but hey... we all have our reasons). I've done some light programming and scripting, for some reason I mod... well I mod everything to be honest. Why? I don't really know... buying a cell phone? What do you mean carrier locked? I'm gonna unlock it and figure out how to add my own programs to it (despite the fact I'll probably never switch carriers or put a meaningful app on this phone). I think I've said enough without saying anything. I'm new to the forums and welcome PM's and all that. Thanks for the great comic, great website, and great community xkcd; I'm glad to have joined it.

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

Hi all, I'm Eddie a 20 year old physics student currently residing in Manchester.

My personal likes include all (maths and science)-ey stuff and also some some other stuff.

My personal dislikes include intro threads on fora so, if I may, I'll leave it there and consider myself introduced.

Norman

Postby Norman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Norman. For the last 5 years I've wished that was my real name, at least.

I'm 18 years old, about to be 19. I attend college at IPFW, and I've lived in the area all my life. I'm an exploratory major right now since I did so badly in high school, the reason for which is a long story...but if I can achieve a C average this year I can declare my major next year, and I intend to major in English.

My hobbies are anime (and of course, webcomics) and writing, and I hope to become an author one day. Stephen King is my biggest influence.

I can speak German quite well, I've hosted 2 German exchange students and I've been over there once. I'd kill to go back.

One last thing about me is that I have no idea what else to say.

falloonalan

Postby falloonalan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Hey, this is my second account I got addicted to XKCD last year but then I never really found the time over the summer. Now I'm at my first year of uni(University of Canterbury) and I really must comment on the aeroplane/treadmill thread.

asl 19/m/New Zealand

Tjencks

Postby Tjencks » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:03 am UTC

Hello, my name is Tom I'm 18 and beginning my Freshman year at Augustana College In Rock Island Illinois, I'm a math education major with a third major in Philosophy. I play viola and a bit of violin, I enjoy biking and reading speculative fiction and philosophical texts. I'm not a religious person at all.

I've been reading xkdc for a while, but I tend to be very quiet so I've been very hesitant to start posting, but It looks like there aren't that many sharks in this pool of water, so why not? :D

[Citation Needed]

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:14 am UTC

I don't know, because this is the Internet where anything goes, which makes it much scarier than your average figurative body of water. This place could have robot sharks instead and those things can swim in the water as well as walk on land since they can transform! Just be careful, okay? But just in case my poor attempt at making a joke failed I'd like to welcome you to the website as a fellow newbie and I hope you have good times here. :)
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

JimmyB

Postby JimmyB » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:59 am UTC

Hi, I'm Jimmy, and I'm confused. I'm sure I did this yesterday - and a couple of other posts, but they've gone. :(

Anyway, I'm a 27 year old English guy, currently living in Dublin, Ireland. I won't talk about my job, because I hate it and I die a little inside every morning at 9am.
When I'm not dying a little, I'm a writer (fiction, unpublished), a martial artist (ju jitsu and bujinkan), a reader (almost anything, mostly fantasy) and I love almost all kinds of music too. Oh, and I read far too many webcomics.
Spoiler:
Ha! Gotcha! Now click my links!

http://destinydecieved.wordpress.com - A fantasy/humour/parody serial type thing by the best writer I have ever been.

http://www.moose42.co.uk - Roaming mooses, and a photoblog.

Dragolplume

Postby Dragolplume » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:20 am UTC

JimmyB wrote:Hi, I'm Jimmy, and I'm confused. I'm sure I did this yesterday - and a couple of other posts, but they've gone. :(

Greetings from a fellow newbie :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the forum is eating posts. It ate a couple of mine too.
We are not insane, don't worry (either that or we're sharing the same delusion...)

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:37 am UTC

Hi new people! *waves enthusiastically*

Dragolplume wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the forum is eating posts. It ate a couple of mine too.

Had to go to a backup during the scheduled downtime yesterday, I do believe. Announcements. There to announce stuff just like this.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Shady

Postby Shady » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been meaning to join for ages. I've had xkcd on my favourites for a couple of years now, and I'm a huge fan of the comic.

So stuff about me. My name is Helen, although I go by Shady online. My name on another forum was originally Shadygirl, and after 5 years there Shady has just stuck, even when people know my real name. I'm from Derby in the UK, and I'm 22. I've just graduated from the University of Hull with an undergraduate masters in biomedical science, and I'll be starting a job in a hospital lab sometime in the next month, hopefully.

My interests include music (listening to, going to gigs, but unfortunately I don't have the natural talent to play), tv (I'm a bit of a sci fi addict) and internet. I've been a forum addict for 5 years, although mostly with a remotely hosted provider. I've never used a phpBB forum before, and this is all a bit weird to me at the moment. I've been a global moderator on the support forum of a major forum provider, who I won't name so I don't get shouted at for advertising, for about 3 years now.

Anyway, I think I'll go look around the forum now I've said something about myself.

Slartibartfast

Postby Slartibartfast » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

G'day, seems like a good a place as any for my first post here.

My innermost secrets may be revealed as I post more, then again, maybe they won't.

I live in the middle of a rural area and only 50% geek/nerd. The other 50% is poor dumb country boy.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

Shady wrote:I've been a global moderator on the support forum of a major forum provider, who I won't name so I don't get shouted at for advertising, for about 3 years now.
Heh, heh, heh.

Heh.

Sorry, Shady, in-joke. And I quote:
Bakemaster wrote:Ooh ooh! He subtly implies he's a mod on another forum!
NOBODY CARES
Azrael wrote:Seriously, does like *everyone* actually think we believe them when they say they're a mod elsewhere?

'Cause we don't.

Really, we don't believe you.

Or care.
Not to say I don't believe you... but I'll admit that I sniggered while reading that sentence.

Oh, and welcome! Welcome, everyone!
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

firinne

Postby firinne » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

Performative statement: I introduce myself.

Not that I'll be active much, hopefully. Last time I touched a forum, it ate my life.

Luigi Mario: KOG

Postby Luigi Mario: KOG » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 am UTC

...Well, I feel smart today. Took me a whole 10 seconds to find the post button here. And earlier, a whole 10 minutes to figure out that the power supply we were using in the physics lab had a display that shows how many amps there are in the circuit. Despite using said display to adjust the current.

Uh... I'm usually not that airheaded, really.

Anyway, I'm 20, and a computer science major in Los Angeles (which Firefox says is misspelled...). Video games are my great passion, and I intend on becoming a game designer with my own company eventually.

Well, I'm not sure what else to say here, so I'll let the rest of my life become known as I post more (provided I remain, which I would like, but I've a bit of a habit of abandoning all fora apart from my first for some reason).

Also, KOG stands for King of Good, in case someone decides to wonder. The explanation behind that is rather long, and better suited to the "explain your username" topic, so I'll explain that there if I decide to do so.

Enki v.2

Postby Enki v.2 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:07 am UTC

Hey. I just signed up here, since I love the comic and generally have gotten along with most of the other people I've met in other venues who enjoy it. That said, I was reluctant in joining here because despite being interested in maths, linguistics, &c., I actually have very little academic experience (except in computer science, but even there my practical experience far outweighs it). I have a tendency to namedrop things I partially understand, and it gets me in trouble sometimes.[/disclaimer]

I am a discordian, an anarchist, and an absurdist, so it's sometimes difficult to determine whether or not I'm joking (I say this from personal experience; ask me and I won't know). I also have a tendency to challenge A=A arguments, and state tautologies in the form of contradictions (and vice versa), much of the time in total seriousness.

I am partially fluent in ancient sumerian, but I learned it via osmosis using xscreensaver's xsublim package, so my actual grasp of it is spotty. This also applies to subjects like quantum mechanics and cognitive science (adding that most of the material is wikipedia page dumps).

I'll hope to see all of you on the forums :-)
a = a iff a = a ; else a != a

"That would be like making the justified mouth-noise while urinating!" - unnamed Atlantean Senator, Illuminatus! Trilogy

Return to “General”