What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

Postby electoralfraud » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

So this has probably been done before, but its not on the first 3/4 pages of search and its new to me.

As it says on the tin; what degree are you studying/planning to study/have studied. And which University/College?

(Majors as applicable; areas of interest/options/areas of research/minors also as applicable, etc..)

Myself: Philosophy at Birkbeck college UOL (Politics/17th century German/Mind)

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:33 am UTC

First year (eep, nearly second) Mathematics student at Leeds.

No, not the met. I go to University. We actually have a school of maths.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:38 am UTC

Hoping to study math at University of Waterloo the year after next year. If not, falling back on Windsor. I'm sure Windsor'll take me, and the amount of money they give out in scholarships is staggering; they've offered my friend $28,000 over 4 years to study there. 'S too bad he's planning on going to Waterloo too.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:42 am UTC

MSc in Condensed Matter Physics by thesis (mostly simulation work).

Hopefully will be doing a PhD in DPhil somewhere later this year in astronomy simulation stuff.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:53 am UTC

BMus for Composition or Performance (or both?) at Wilfrid Laurier University.

EDIT Finishing my first year.
Last edited by Ren on Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Daem0hn

Postby Daem0hn » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:09 am UTC

BEng(Computer Systems Engineering) + BSci(Computer Science).
[which is basically a big emphasis on electrical/comptuer engineering with a light sprinkling of computer science]
in my 3rd of 5 years on a CWA of around 90%.

Its great, I love it, interesting, will pay well once i graduate.....the only let down is the lack of female presence in my units. I share classes with exactly.......0 females :roll:
Last edited by Daem0hn on Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
01 01 was a race horse, 10 10 was 01 10, 01 01 01 01 race, 10 10 01 01 10

-- Mike (19/Male)

Inky

Postby Inky » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:17 am UTC

Glad I'm not the only one! I'm in 2nd year of Computer Science, and the female count has dropped down to zero as well.

It's a very interesting course, but they put too much emphasis on getting assignments done (which are only worth about 20%), so I have no time to actually study the coursework. :/
This game won't run on my computer!
I should probably upgrade my UNIVAC...

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:13 am UTC

When I took computer science in 11th grade, I was the only girl...

Myself, I will be starting college this fall, most likely at Eastern Michigan University, where I will be majoring in Asian Studies-Japan.

Japan has been the only thing to ever hold my interest more than a few months, so I figure it's a safe bet, lol.

Computer science would be something awesome to go to school for, but I'm afraid that I have no mathmatical aptitude, and i understand that's something of a prerequisite.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Just finishing up my third year in Computer Science at the University of Waterloo.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:27 am UTC

It's my first year at University of Michigan studying general biology. I'm actually just taking general education shit right now because it's my first semester at college, even though I tested out of everything I could have. I was going to minor in chemistry, but I settled for psychology (even though I will never use this in the future) for various reasons.

I was the only female in computer repair last year. (Oh god, that class brings back bad memories.) There were a few in computer science, but not many. I'd place money on the fact that there were none in computer science 2, not so much because of the subject, but because the teacher was a misogynist.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:21 am UTC

I am just about finished with my 3rd year toward a BS in Meteorology at Millersville University. Unless I can get a job as a TV forecaster in a top market, I'm gona be poor.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:28 am UTC

Mechanical Engineering. This is after going two years as a Music major.

I'm pretty sure there are other things I'd be better at; things that allow me to use my writing talents and people skills. Public Relations, Marketing, I'd love to teach... but ME = money, and I do enjoy it.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:40 am UTC

JuliaGlass wrote:It's my first year at University of Michigan studying general biology.

T_T I missed the application deadline, else i'd say i hope to join you there next year.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Xial

Postby Xial » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:42 am UTC

I am planning on going to Harvey Mudd for engineering.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:56 am UTC

Akira wrote:
JuliaGlass wrote:It's my first year at University of Michigan studying general biology.

T_T I missed the application deadline, else i'd say i hope to join you there next year.

Just out of curiosity, which branch? I'm at Flint, unfortunately.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:00 am UTC

JuliaGlass wrote:
Akira wrote:

Aah... Whichever one has the foreign studies center. Evidently they have a fairly good Asiatic Studies program--that would ahve been my reason for going. ^^;;

Zanik221

Postby Zanik221 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:00 am UTC

BS in Computer Science, with minors in Mathematics and Electrical Engineering.

I started out as a Computer Engineer, but RIT's CE program is basically equivalent to Electrical Engineering with a Computer Science minor. I like working in software better, so I went the other way around.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:04 am UTC

Akira wrote:
JuliaGlass wrote:
Akira wrote:

Aah... Whichever one has the foreign studies center. Evidently they have a fairly good Asiatic Studies program--that would ahve been my reason for going. ^^;;

I'm not sure about that, but if one of them did, it would be Ann Arbor.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:30 am UTC

JuliaGlass wrote:
Akira wrote:
JuliaGlass wrote:
Akira wrote:

I'm not sure about that, but if one of them did, it would be Ann Arbor.

Sounds about right. As it is, I'll be in the area anyway--Yipsilanti (i know i spelled that horribly wrong) is where Eastern is...

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:55 am UTC

Going to do a Physics major, probably with a with a minor in areonautical engineering/propulsion systems... Will be starting next year at city college to get all of my credits up to par (I have been out of school for nearly 10 years now), with a transfer into one of the UC's as soon as possible. Looking at UCLA, Irvine, or possibly San Diego for my B.S.; I may or may not go home to Manchester to do my masters (too soon to decide), and I would really like to go to CalTech at some point during my graduate studies.

Can't wait to get started at uni - I have been studying my arse off (brushing up on all of the maths I'd not used for a decade) in preparation for placement exams. :P

I'm really interested in Nuclear Physics as well, but I reckon I will get the B.S. under my belt first, and see where I feel like heading from there. 8)

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:09 am UTC

I've got two exams left this month, then I'll be done my undergrad crim degree, and then I'm getting the fuck out!

If four years of criminology taught me anything, it's that institutions are designed to break an individual's mind and spirit--be they penal, bureaucratic, or educational institutions.

The only reason I stuck through it was for my $30K ticket. It's a ticket, because without it, you ain't goin' nowhere.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:23 am UTC

hehe, your degrees are BS

... sorry, immature moment there.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:30 am UTC

I have my BA in psychology (and a minor in drama). I'll be applying to grad schools this fall to get my master's degree in health psychology, specifically in chronic pain management.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:34 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:hehe, your degrees are BS

It's okay, I still smile at that joke. Can't help it.

Daem0hn

Postby Daem0hn » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:02 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:hehe, your degrees are BS

Possibly, however systems engineering pays a lot better than research thats for sure :P

... sorry, greedy, immature, justification of degrees worth, moment there.

-- Mike (19/Male)

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:05 am UTC

I have a BA in English Literature (mostly modern and postmodern stuff) with an Ancient History minor.

Two years left on my LLB (w/hons) after which i want to do either a BSc in Physics or MBBS (Medicine and Surgery).

Doubt the government will keep loaning me money for those last two, though. :(
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

crazylucifer

Postby crazylucifer » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:08 am UTC

BEng(Chemi)\BSc + DML(Diploma modern languages) in French at Melbourne University Australia
Basically 6 years at uni, Im still in first year. Not sure what to focus on in chem eng, I can focus on biomolecular which means i can work at carlton brewery and get cheap/free beer or i can work at shell and get 25% off petrol.
Not sure which science to focus on either, currently got Chemistry and maths and i have to get physics in ther as well. thing is im interested in all of them.
Have Love Will Travel

xooll

Postby xooll » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:53 am UTC

In my third year at Bard College, working on a BA in physics.
I suppose after that's through I'll go for some kind of engineering thing.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:55 am UTC

electoralfraud wrote:Myself: Philosophy at Birkbeck college UOL (Politics/17th century German/Mind)

How do you plan on getting a job?

Bachelor of Science (Physics) here.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Daem0hn

Postby Daem0hn » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:09 am UTC

one thing i hate about people who study physics is you all know so damn much about everything :P I wish i knew as much about everything as physics students!

I know alot about electricity and electronics and control systems, but thats because thats what i've been studying since day 1. So i'd like to think i could out-intellect you(the royal you, talking about physics students as a whole here) on that front, but then, on the topic of everything, you guys whoop my pants off! (then again, being pantless isn't that bad, there is a certain air of freedom that comes with loosing ones pants....)

And the killer is that you damn physicists know enough about electricity to come off as fairly knowledgeable on the subject, and then you know about quantum mechanics, and relativity, chemistry, mechanics and every other bloody topic under the sun :P (admittedly i know a bit about these subjects just out of personal interest)

The only consolation i have is that upon graduation, (especially if you get a job in the mining sector [==big $$$ in perth]) good engineers will earn more than you straight physics students :P so blah.

Still, i am envious.

-- Mike (19/Male)

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:25 am UTC

Law with Spanish llB(wales) at aberystwyth, though I'm currently on an erasmus year in spain. Ideally i'd like to go on to do a physics or engineering degree before my BVC so that I can get into intellectual property, but the last time I did any maths or sciences was GCSE, so it's tricky. My only hope is that they think I'm a mature student next year.
Heaven is for the hedonist

Roffle

Postby Roffle » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:30 am UTC

Physics students are like that, yea...

Well, I've studied Psychology, Chemical Engineering, and now I'm in my second year of law school, which I kind of really like, so I think I'll be sticking with it, to be honest.

Can't wait to get my masters... Of course, even then I won't be a lawyer, I still need 2 years of internship before I can do that. Stupid rules.
"Error juris semper nocet"

DetectiveDaughter

Postby DetectiveDaughter » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:38 am UTC

I've spent the past two years working toward a degree in Film Studies, but if all goes well in September I'll be switching to either Physics or Astronomy.

I don't know what I was thinking. Film Studies? Honestly.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:41 am UTC

had no idea til about a month ago. moving to kansas, going to take more japanese but my degree will probably be something along the lines ot ASL translator... something. i dont know, i havent looked into this a whole lot yet.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:45 am UTC

A.S. in Science a few months before I graduated from highschool. If I had some motivation I'd have my B.S. in astrophysics soon.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Popliteal

Postby Popliteal » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:34 am UTC

I'm less than a month from finishing my first year at Humber College as a Paramedic Student. Only one to go!

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:40 am UTC

First year BM(GI)/BS(CS&SE)

or, Bachelor of multimedia (Games and Interactivity)/Bachelor of Science (Computer Science and software engineering)

Basically: Games.

And in the first years there are about... maybe 20-25% girls? which isnt that low really...

And yeah, it is a pretty awesome course for anyone who wants to make computer games.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Edna
Raptors: 4, Humans: 0

Postby Edna » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:47 am UTC

I am doing an access to medical science course part time at the moment, I will then use this to do a degree in psychology using that as a stepping stone to get into forensic psychology.
All being well I should be qualified by the time I am in my mid 30's. :oops:

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:00 pm UTC

I got a BSc too btw... in case people were wondering if I somehow leapt straight into masters :P

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:53 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:Mechanical Engineering. This is after going two years as a Music major.

What was your instrument as a music major?
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Return to “School”