Bacon and Mole: A Culinary Experiment

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Bacon and Mole: A Culinary Experiment

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:40 pm UTC

Okay, so as per my promise here, I finally got around to doing a little experiment.

Ingredients:

250 g mole paste, storebought (since it's a bitch to make from scratch)
240 g bacon, uncooked
5 pcs small chocolate balls (basically hard balls of coarsely ground cacao and sugar)
250 g corn tortillas
250 g rice (not pictured)

Method:

1) Mix rice with twice its volume in water and start cooking

2) Start frying bacon

3) Eat about half of the bacon plain or with bites of above-pictured balls of chocolate. (What, you thought I was going to somehow include that in my cooking?)

4) When bacon is done, add mole paste. (Yes, I know what it kind of looks like.)

5) Mix paste with bacon and bacon grease, add water as needed.

6) Mix above sauce with now-cooked rice.

7) Enjoy with tortillas and a good book.

Results and Conclusion:

The bacon with chocolate balls was quite good. Perhaps too good, in fact, as mole has quite a strong flavor of its own.
Because so much bacon had been consumed in step 3, what was left didn't add too much of its own flavor to the mole/rice concoction. As a result, the final product tasted like, well, mole sauce and rice.

Suggestions for Further Research:

More bacon.

Supplemental Notes:

Like many other foodstuffs, this turns out to be even better cold. Though the actual bacon flavor is still sadly lacking somewhat.
Last edited by gmalivuk on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Lucien

Postby Lucien » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

I... I need to go to the store.

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

I had never heard of mole paste before. However, I like guacamole, so I should try it out.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

Not related, other than in the etymology of "mole" meaning something like "sauce". Mole is chocolate-based. Guacamole is avocado (aguacate in Spanish)-based.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

I'm disappointed that mole paste isn't what I initially thought.

Also I was a happy bunny the day I discovered bacon and chocolate sauce sandwiches, so I'm not surprised this works. :)

McHell

Postby McHell » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

I have no friends left in mexico, taking away my sauce of awesome mexican food [also: ridiculous variety of fruits unheard-of in rest of world].

::painful stings of envy::

Why o why don't the mexicans export mole to the old world? They'd get rich! Don't they like that?

Token

Postby Token » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:09 am UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:I'm disappointed that mole paste isn't what I initially thought.

I was especially misled by the whole being a bitch to make from scratch part. Oh, and the calling it "Bacon and Mole".
Last edited by Token on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Herman

Postby Herman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:10 am UTC

Suggestions for Further Research:

More bacon.

I'm putting that in every scientific paper I ever write. I am, like, 70% serious.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:49 am UTC

Those particular photos of your cooking apparatus and your kitchen make you house look shit.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:03 am UTC

I'm disappointed you didn't use a whole mol.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Not related, other than in the etymology of "mole" meaning something like "sauce". Mole is chocolate-based. Guacamole is avocado (aguacate in Spanish)-based.

Wikipedia fails again, as that's not what it says mole is.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:06 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Not related, other than in the etymology of "mole" meaning something like "sauce". Mole is chocolate-based. Guacamole is avocado (aguacate in Spanish)-based.

Actually, it kind of is. I know that, technically, "mole" really does just mean sauce, and so it doesn't necessarily even include chocolate. It's just that, usually, it does. (Just like "salsa", in Spanish, just means sauce, but generally if you ask for salsa, even here, it's the hot pepper-based kind the rest of the world thinks of.)

Gelsamel wrote:Those particular photos of your cooking apparatus and your kitchen make you house look shit.

It's not a house, it's a hostel. So I don't much give a fuck what you think it looks like, since I'm spending $4 a night to live here and it's like a block from where I work.
---

(he/him/his)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:15 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It's not a house, it's a hostel. So I don't much give a fuck what you think it looks like, since I'm spending $4 a night to live here and it's like a block from where I work.

That's pretty cool, but I couldn't live there. I think maybe last year I would've been able to do it, but recently I've been developing a bit of OCD about cleanliness (it's very weird and selective for instance I don't care how clean I am, but I seem to be more preoccupied with "making sure that black spec in the cup is a stain" then usual).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Lanjolo

Re: Bacon and Mole: A Culinary Experiment

Postby Lanjolo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:01 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Suggestions for Further Research:

More bacon.

Also use real moles. Now that would be something totally new!
Live forever or die trying.

ClaireIsAwesome

Postby ClaireIsAwesome » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

I made chicken-fried bacon once... I almost died 0.0

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Holy shit necromancy!
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

ThinkerEmeritus

Re:

Postby ThinkerEmeritus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:05 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
zenten wrote:

Actually, it kind of is. I know that, technically, "mole" really does just mean sauce, and so it doesn't necessarily even include chocolate. It's just that, usually, it does. (Just like "salsa", in Spanish, just means sauce, but generally if you ask for salsa, even here, it's the hot pepper-based kind the rest of the world thinks of.)

I think that actually only "mole poblano" traditionally has chocolate, and you used to be able to get it only fairly near the town of Pueblo [duh]. I'm sure it must have spread pretty far by now. I could find it for a while in a restaurant near here as a sauce for chicken, which I'd guess was its original use [pollo con mole poblano, yum]. If you were obviously anglo and ordered it, they suggested you taste a sample first.
"An expert is a person who has already made all possible mistakes." -- paraphrase of a statement by Niels Bohr
Seen on a bumper sticker: "My other vehicle is a Krebs cycle".

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Not the town of Pueblo so much as the state of Puebla, actually, but yeah. The linked wiki even says that what Americans think of as mole is typically the poblano variety.
---

(he/him/his)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:08 am UTC

By the way, I'm not "more bacon" is going to solve the problem.

Gasp! Sacrilege!

The flavour density of bacon isn't enough to overpower the mole, so either you have to decrease the mole's flavour density so it comparable to the bacon's, or increase the bacon's. Maybe you could get some bacon flavouring type powder stuff or something.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Jorpho

Re:

Postby Jorpho » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:18 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I'm disappointed you didn't use a whole mol.

Mmm, 6.02x1023 bacon strips... How many times would those stretch to the moon and back? And how many pigs would be involved? And how many nuclear bombs would it take to cook it all?

Falmarri

Postby Falmarri » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:45 am UTC

I've skipped over this thread many times because I didn't want to know what kind of crazy person was eating a mole.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:13 am UTC

The original link you pasted about mole paste doesn't work.

With reference to the Wikipedia page on mole, which kind of mole is the one you're using here?
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:07 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Suggestions for Further Research:

More bacon cowbell.

fix'd
Couldn't resist, sorry.

Looks downright delicious, I must try this.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

sgt york

Re:

Postby sgt york » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

McHell wrote:Why o why don't the mexicans export mole to the old world? They'd get rich! Don't they like that?

It's so odd to hear that people don't know what mole is, or that can't get it. In Texas, you can buy it in most grocery stores. It's a staple of Tex-Mex as well as traditional Mexican (and make no mistake, they are NOT the same thing).

And yes, mole ROCKS. My favorite is mole pepper enchiladas. It's basically shredded spiced chicken wrapped in part of a poblano pepper, coated with cheese, stuffed into a tortilla and covered in dark mole. Amazing stuff.

Unfortunately, I moved from Texas a few years back, and I can no longer get the little jars of delicious.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

I've lived in Texas my entire life, and can't recall ever seeing mole. Extra strange, since tex-mex is my favorite food group.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

sgt york

Postby sgt york » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:I've lived in Texas my entire life, and can't recall ever seeing mole. Extra strange, since tex-mex is my favorite food group.
Really? Try Fiesta; they've got all things Tex-Mex. I know they had it at Food Town, Randall's, Rice, and (when it was still around) Albertson's. Even Kroger had it sometimes. Look for the Goya. It'll be close by. It was a staple at my house. Like mustard, or garlic.

Hell, I think I recall seeing it at the super Wal-Mart out in the Houston 'burbs.

meat.paste

Postby meat.paste » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:I've lived in Texas my entire life, and can't recall ever seeing mole. Extra strange, since tex-mex is my favorite food group.

I get mine from the local HEB (I'm in Austin). It's pretty damn good. I don't remember the brand, but it is in a ~15cm tall clear glass jar with a yellow metal lid. There is a separation of an orange colored oil floating on top of the brown mass. The label is yellow as well.

I always get excited when I find a mole anything on a menu. Spicy, slightly bitter, fully flavored mole on chicken enchiladas is so very good. I wouldn't think it would go so well with bacon.
Huh? What?

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:The flavour density of bacon isn't enough to overpower the mole, so either you have to decrease the mole's flavour density so it comparable to the bacon's, or increase the bacon's. Maybe you could get some bacon flavouring type powder stuff or something.

Isn't mixing it with more bacon and more bacon grease going to decrease the mole's flavor density?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

meat.paste wrote:I wouldn't think it would go so well with bacon.

Why not? *Everything* goes well with more bacon, obviously.
---

(he/him/his)

Monty40xi

Postby Monty40xi » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

I didn't realize mole was so hard to find in so many places. In Colorado I could find it in regular grocery stores. I would have used it in MUCH smaller amounts though, more like bbq sauce or teriyaki. Just a few tablespoons should be enough for a pan of bacon.
Occam's Quandary: any idea can be made to sound like the simpler one.

meat.paste

Postby meat.paste » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Why not? *Everything* goes well with more bacon, obviously.

Urm, well, OK. I stand corrected.
Huh? What?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: COCK! and Mole: A Culinary Experiment

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:04 am UTC

bumped due to the bacon wordfilter
---

(he/him/his)

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:12 am UTC

I was just reminded of this thread myself! Here's hoping no-one follows the directions as they currently stand.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Charlie!

Postby Charlie! » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:54 am UTC

These word philters are starting to go overboard. They're coming after our pig-meats.
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

Werd Filtres!

Crunch an Apple, then enjoy your bacon with some cheese.

Craziness.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

KOSMOSX7

Postby KOSMOSX7 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

What in the nine hells...

...alright, I'm going to assume that "COCK" doesn't mean "COCK", but, via the ineffable whimsies of this board's text gremlins, is actually translated from the word that colloquially refers to "strips of cured meat".

(Can you tell that I'm new? Cause I am so green. HULK CEREAL IS SOGGY NOW. HULK SAD. PLEASE BE GENTLE.)

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

Global announcement: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34697 (good place to start if you're new anyway, really, what with the rules and stuff there).
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

KOSMOSX7

Postby KOSMOSX7 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Global announcement: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34697 (good place to start if you're new hemingway, really, what with the rules and stuff there).

Thank you, talking cow, that was mighty helpful.

Now that I'm mentally vaccinated against this insanity, I think I'll go with chicken instead of beef for dinner tonight.

Return to “Science”