Caffeine!!! (in pill form?)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Durandal

Caffeine!!! (in pill form?)

Postby Durandal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

Oh, caffeine. My wonderful friend. By and far my drug of choice.

It used to be that I would wake up every morning and boil some water for tea, but present circumstances restrict that possibility - I live in university residence, where appliances are banned and the building is stove-less. There are still ways to get caffeine, of course. I could go to the dining center for tea or coffee, but it's rather out of my way (I usually just eat cereal and milk for breakfast in my room). Or I could buy a plug-in kettle and hide it when not in use, but various things about how my morning routine works in residence make that difficult. Alternately, I could stockpile energy drinks like my roommate does, but the speed skating team I'm on specifically bars them from the diet. So then, the option of caffeine in pill form comes to mind.

I know next to nothing about caffeine pills. Does anyone here take them? What are the dangers? Are the more or less healthy than alternate forms of caffeine intake (such as tea/coffee)? Where do I get them? Should I talk to a doctor before starting to take them? Basically, is this a Good Idea? It would certainly be faster just to down a pill in the morning than any other method I can think of.

Other than that, has anyone here used Caffeinated Shower Soap? What is that like? Would you recommend it?

Oh, and I'm not accepting 'get more sleep' as an answer. I go to bed at 11:30 pm and wake up at 8:30 am - I'm not willing to waste any more of my time with it. (EDIT) Also, having too much caffeine and needing more due to dependence is not an issue with me.

Edit 2: As well, are there any alternate ways of taking caffeine that you know of and would be willing to share?
Last edited by Durandal on Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:22 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Miles Invictus

Re: Caffeine!!! (in pill form?)

Postby Miles Invictus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

I routinely take caffeine pills (well, three or four mornings a week) and I've yet to experience any negative effects. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

Instead of "get more sleep", I'm going to tell you "cut down on caffeine". In case you haven't noticed, it's a drug. One that any kid can buy in large doses, but it's a drug. As a stimulant, it helps kick you up and keep you up. There haven't been many long-term studies on it, but it tends to really... fuck up people.

Miles Invictus wrote:You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Are you serious? It may not show now, but caffeine has been shown to cause some long-term problems.

Find better and safer ways to get alert.
...It made more sense in my head.

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:00 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:Are you serious? It may not show now, but caffeine has been shown to cause some long-term problems.

Extremely seconded. If you sleep 8 hours every night and still need caffeine, you need to stop using it, not use more. With a decent amount of sleep, that stuff does no real good and plenty of bad.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:15 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:Instead of "get more sleep", I'm going to tell you "cut down on caffeine". In case you haven't noticed, it's a drug. One that any kid can buy in large doses, but it's a drug. As a stimulant, it helps kick you up and keep you up. There haven't been many long-term studies on it, but it tends to really... fuck up people.

Miles Invictus wrote:You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Are you serious? It may not show now, but caffeine has been shown to cause some long-term problems.

[citation needed]

Every study I've ever come across show no negative side effects associated with caffeine with three relatively minor exceptions:

1) You do build up a tolerance and dependance and withdrawal is icky.
2) If you are prone to kidney stones it will increase their occurence since it increases the rate at which your body uses up calcium.
3) Because it increases the rate at which your body uses up calcium you need to increase you calcium intake or run the risk of osteoporosis.

Other than that its a miracle drug.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:30 am UTC

First of all, I am by no means a caffeine addict. I don't *need* it in the mornings to function well enough, I just feel more alert which gives me an edge in morning classes. I can't recall a time where I've had more than one cup of tea or coffee in a day, and even then I usually have it on only three or four days out of the week. Rest assured, having too much caffeine is not the problem here. Plus I just came off of the summer, during which I had it even less.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:10 am UTC

Bob Saget wrote:I sucked dick for coke. Addicted to caffeine? You ever sucked dick for caffeine?
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:16 am UTC

Around here caffeine pills are sold over the counter in 100mg or 200mg forms. According to this site a cup of coffee contains between 65 and 175mg of caffeine, and a cup of tea 15 to 60. Unless they contain stuff other than caffeine (all those I've seen don't), they are not more or less dangerous than the same amount of caffeine taken in coffee or tea form.

I have not tried the caffeinated soap myself but I've read that the skin is not a very effective way of absorbing caffeine. Something like 17% absorption for 4 hours of exposition, and the soap is only supposed to give you 200mg per serving, so I'd stick to the pills.

jelly_yuhuu

Postby jelly_yuhuu » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:52 am UTC

Umm....where I live caffeine pills are sold everywhere! Also at my campus, for students who want to stay up late cramming for their exams the next morning. They are heaven sent! (the pills, not the students) Especially when I don't feel like working, I just pop one of them every 3 hrs or so, and it gives me uber selling skills haha.

[Edited]Sorry, forgot to answer...
Durandal wrote:I know next to nothing about caffeine pills. Does anyone here take them? What are the dangers? Are the more or less healthy than alternate forms of caffeine intake (such as tea/coffee)? Where do I get them? Should I talk to a doctor before starting to take them? Basically, is this a Good Idea? It would certainly be faster just to down a pill in the morning than any other method I can think of.

I don't think you have to go to a doctor before you take them. They should have information regarding the pill at the back of the package, like how much caffeine each pill contains. Usually it is equivalent to a cup of strong black coffee. I take them when I need an extra boost to my energy level that day. Keeps me performing. I personally can't drink coffee coz it makes me sick. I love energy drinks, but the pills are just very convenient. So, nothing to fear, it's not dangerous at all. Just make sure you don't OD yourself with them though.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:22 am UTC

Penguin mints! They're convenient and won't leave you shaking and overcaffeinated like pills probably will. I can't imagine going from a single cup of tea to caffeine pills is really a good thing. If you're not opposed to iced tea, you can get yourself some cool brew tea bags. Dunk one in a glass of water as you walk out the door and by the time you get to class you'll have tea! Or make a pitcher and just pour some into a cup. Takes all of 15 seconds.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Ninja'd on the mints front, but I've also heard of caffeinated gum and I'm sure people will soon come up with caffeinated lollipops, bread, tomatoes and the like soon enough as well.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:09 am UTC

fersrs wrote:Ninja'd on the mints front, but I've also heard of caffeinated gum and I'm sure people will soon come up with caffeinated lollipops, bread, tomatoes and the like soon enough as well.

Doughnuts or bagels, perhaps?
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:20 am UTC

Pills? Gums? Appliances? Faugh.

Cold brew. Summary: put coarse-ground coffee, tea leaves, or bags in room-temperature water for a few hours, at twice the strength you would normally brew. Strain, dilute, and enjoy.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:29 am UTC

Just a heads up, I would avoid caffeine gum.

The few that I have tried make your breath smell like sweaty socks. So unless you REALLY like chewing gum (caffeine to wake up, winterfresh to save your mouth) I would avoid it.
I could be wrong though, I obviously haven't tried them all yet.

I like the bawls drinks. Lighter than all the other energy sodas out there.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:42 am UTC

Anyone ever try to isolate caffeine from caffeine pills?

Also, what might be helpful to know is that a cup of black coffee has around 120mg of caffeine in it. That's the same as a lot of energy drinks - Rockstar, Monster, etc. It's more than Red Bull (80mg). So save your money and drink coffee. There's less sugar in it.

I've been pretty much hooked on caffeine since I was a kid. I couldn't sleep as a kid and the doctor said I shouldn't be drinking caffeine - that was the day I discovered coca-cola was caffeinated. I recently stopped drinking coffee on my break at work and it was rough, but now I have more energy in the mornings.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:10 am UTC

After the AP Chem test, my chem class tried to chemically extract pure caffeine from black tea. It didn't turn out too well though. Only one of the groups got actual caffeine crystals. But it was fun While we were doing it. To get enough tea concentrate, my teacher had like fifty tea bags steeping in about a liter of water. Instant wake-up juice anyone?
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

fersrs wrote: I'm sure people will soon come up with caffeinated lollipops

Java Pops. They're coffee lollipops, and they're amazing. There used to be a cafe in my old town that sold them.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

I watched a pod on CurrentTV about the effects of caffeine on the brain. So it's not necessarily reliable, but it might give you an idea.

Basically, this woman has like 3 cups of coffee a day. She had a PET scan (I think it was PET...) before having any coffee that day. Along with this she was asked to do simple tasks on a screen in the machine and her eyes were observed. She was quite literally falling asleep, completely unable to stay awake. Her brain activity was well below normal levels. When she had a cup of coffee, her brain activity returned to normal.

So the tl;dr of it is that while caffeine may give you a boost when you start using it, but you become dependent on it just to keep regular levels of brain activity going.

Srsly kids, just say NO.

Also, caffeine pills are easy to get. Pro-plus is one of the popular ones here.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:02 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I watched a pod on CurrentTV about the effects of caffeine on the brain. So it's not necessarily reliable, but it might give you an idea.

Basically, this woman has like 3 cups of coffee a day. She had a PET scan (I think it was PET...) before having any coffee that day. Along with this she was asked to do simple tasks on a screen in the machine and her eyes were observed. She was quite literally falling asleep, completely unable to stay awake. Her brain activity was well below normal levels. When she had a cup of coffee, her brain activity returned to normal.

So the tl;dr of it is that while caffeine may give you a boost when you start using it, but you become dependent on it just to keep regular levels of brain activity going.

That sounds like a sleep deficit, not caffeine addiction. I used to be like that for a few years. I fixed it not be altering my (usually <2 cup) caffeine consumption habits, but by getting more sleep.

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:07 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:Are you serious? It may not show now, but caffeine has been shown to cause some long-term problems.

Citation needed.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:10 am UTC

This is seriously the wrong community to try and preach the evils of caffeine to.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:50 am UTC

Nath wrote:Cold brew. Summary: put coarse-ground coffee, tea leaves, or bags in room-temperature water for a few hours, at twice the strength you would normally brew. Strain, dilute, and enjoy.

I'm totally making some right now, I'll keep a tab on how it turns out, maybe in the food forum, maybe here... meh.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

How strict are your appliance restrictions? This was allowed in my dorms at least:

http://www.target.com/Rival-32-oz-Hot-P ... ter&page=1

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

you can't even have microwaves?
where do you go that you cant even have microwaves?!

caffeine pills are useless in my opinion. it just seems like a stupid drug to take a pill about. to me, drinking it is the point.
you should probably sneak in some sort of appliance so you can make your tea. if they give you a hard time just be like "..dude, get off some shit."

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

Buy pure caffeine. Then add it to any food or drink, or just "lick-dip-lick" with your finger (not recommended for accuracy reasons)(also, caffeine is hella bitter).

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:40 am UTC

Rat wrote:you can't even have microwaves?
where do you go that you cant even have microwaves?!

I can't have one either.
So either the OP and I go to the same university, or it's fairly common.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

blakat1313

Postby blakat1313 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:51 am UTC

How about cinnamon twists? It might not be very breakfast-appropriate, but it's easy to store and isn't going to taste bitter. (be careful with the pure caffeine though, 1tbsp is a fatal dose)

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Caffeine with purity is a carcinogen. Don't take it like that.

Caffeine diluted in coffee and tea is not a carcinogen, or at least the effect is negated by the fact that coffee and tea are anti-oxidants and can help prevent cancer if taken in moderation.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:01 am UTC

blakat1313 wrote:How about cinnamon twists? It might not be very breakfast-appropriate, but it's easy to store and isn't going to taste bitter. (be careful with the pure caffeine though, 1tbsp is a fatal dose)

Fatal overdose is just fancy talk for awesome.

Caffeine never did too much for me. Except for one morning when I had a monster and a pack and a half of energy gum. I was shaking. That was a fun morning.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:55 am UTC

How does one go about overcoming a caffeine addiction without harming their performance in work and school? I've tried to quit, but it only results in me struggling not to fall asleep on the job after about two hours.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:57 am UTC

drink water?
replenish your precious bodily fluids. to make the water taste good just add exercise.
.. i know, i don't fuck around with that shit.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:43 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:How does one go about overcoming a caffeine addiction without harming their performance in work and school? I've tried to quit, but it only results in me struggling not to fall asleep on the job after about two hours.

First, cut out having caffeine right after you wake up and 2 hours before you go to sleep. If you can get yourself to have only a coffee at lunch that's a good start. Then, have a coffee every other day. Then, cut that out too.

That was roughly my plan.

shrdlu

Postby shrdlu » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:46 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:How does one go about overcoming a caffeine addiction without harming their performance in work and school? I've tried to quit, but it only results in me struggling not to fall asleep on the job after about two hours.

Try to go off it slowly, like reducing your intake by 50mg every two days or so. Also, Asian Ginseng helps a bit against the lack of energy (for me).

Alias

Postby Alias » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:54 am UTC

Funny story.

The IMAX cinema in central London was doing all 3 LOTR films in a row, starting at 8PM, and finishing 12 hours later. The next day I had work then a party.

So i went from work to the cinema with a few friends. We had much caffine pills and coffee, then I went to work and then to the party, munching caffine all the while. I got heart palipitations and was very ill, and the next day slept for 23 hours.

It was a good weekend, but I wouldnt reccomended doing it regularly.

Stick to instant coffee made from the hot water tap :)
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:41 am UTC

the_stabbage wrote:

First, cut out having caffeine right after you wake up and 2 hours before you go to sleep. If you can get yourself to have only a coffee at lunch that's a good start. Then, have a coffee every other day. Then, cut that out too.

That was roughly my plan.
That's what I've been doing, just a Pepsi at lunch if at all possible, but then by about 4:00 I'm dead tired and end up napping for several hours. :-/
The problem is, I mean it when I say addiction. Sometimes I absolutely need it to stay awake, and sometimes I'm not thirsty, I just have a massive craving that will bug the hell out of me.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:25 am UTC

Foosh Mints!

100mg of caffeine per mint, compared to 34mg of caffeine per can of Coke. Comparison table, you say? I'LL GIVE YOU A COMPARISON TABLE.

Here you go.

I need to get me some of these. Srsly.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:41 am UTC

During our exam or essay seasons when I was at Uni, we'd buy up caffeine pills and a cheap local energy drink. Crush the pills and put them in the drink, risk minor heart attack, and be able to work for hours longer without getting tired.

I was assured by a chemistry student it was perfectly safe, but...well...chem student, that says it all really.

I also used them when driving back home from Uni, since it took most of the day (early start, late finish) and you really do not want to start feeling sleepy on a motorway.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

Return to “General”