Best Concert You've Been To

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aaron123

Re: Best Concert You've Been To

Postby Aaron123 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Rush on their Snakes and Arrows tour. Wasn't even a contest--just an epic show.
I've got a webcomic too--Check it out!: Peeping Tom Comics

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:48 am UTC

Coheed and Cambria. Very Yes. Best show i've ever been to by a long shot.

The music was incredible, the crowd was awesome, singing along with the songs was more fun than I could have imagined, and Claudio was there. That's enough for me right there.

At the end of the show, he came out in a stormtrooper helmet. It was the best thing I've ever seen anywhere forever.

I would post pics, but the disposable failed and the pictures didn't turn out. Still the best thing ever though.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

TOOL in Dublin 2007 after assuming LSD was a good idea....

Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Seremite

Postby Seremite » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:17 am UTC

I'm going to see NoFX tomorrow/later today, hopefully that will be good.
I've always found ska concerts the most enjoyable out of any genre, mostly for the sense of humor. My first concert was Reel Big Fish, which was cool.
But then I've yet to make it to a metal concert.

Hyperfried

Postby Hyperfried » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:21 am UTC

Without a doubt, Coldplay at Madison Square Garden, NYC, June 23rd, 2008. Tickets were win-only, and a friend of mine won and was in Pittsburgh that day. Fantastic show because of the amazing energy of the crowd, and the rawness of the show, as it was a pre-tour, exclusive concert. NICE.
In the end, physics always has the last laugh.

Defenestrate! ~ A blog of epic proportions.

Moeller_Technique

Postby Moeller_Technique » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:53 am UTC

OZZFEST 2006.

Ozzy Osbourne
System of a Down
Disturbed
Avenged Sevenfold
Hatebreed
Lacuna Coil
DragonForce
Black Label Society
Atreyu
Unearth
Bleeding Through
Norma Jean
Walls of Jericho
The Red Chord
A Life Once Lost
Strapping Young Lad
All That Remains
Full Blown Chaos
Between the Buried and Me
Bad Acid Trip

13 hours of awesome music.
and I met the guitarist (Herman Li) from Dragonforce.

reversepsych

Postby reversepsych » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:04 am UTC

MGMT at McCarren Park Pool, Brooklyn NYC. July 27, 2008. The Ting Tings and Black Moth Super Rainbow also played.

Rain and amazement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwqASDjR ... re=related

I am somewhere in/near that video.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

Not best concert ever, but I totally just enjoyed the hell out of Ego Likeness at Dragon*Con. Comparatively small show, so I got to both be up front near the stage, *and* dance a lot. WOO. :)
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

MisterSteve

Postby MisterSteve » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:29 am UTC

Best show ever: Radiohead at South Park in Oxford - 2001. It was their massive homecoming gig, they played everything I wanted them to play, and every moment was breathtaking. Lucky in the rain with 42,000 people was beautiful. Supported by Beck doing an acoustic slot, Supergrass, Sigur Ros and Humphrey Littleton's big band. Genius.

Other notable mentionings: The Mars Volta in Glasgow just after the release of Frances The Mute. Saw them more recently but they went on a bit, which I thought was impossible for them.
Muse just after Showbiz came out (in UK). Deftones at a warm-up gig in Northampton (tiny little venue, probably 500 people in there). Chili Peppers at Wembley arena (supported by TMV, of whom I knew nothing).

Worst was Manic Street Preachers a few years ago. Took my girlfriend to their greatest hits tour. Never go to a greatest hits tour, it annoyingly does what the name implies. They just anemically limped through their gayest songs, AND they were supported by Ian Brown, 'brown' being the operative word.

Edited due to idiocy.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

ReynoldsWrap wrote:I saw Opeth and Dream Theater during the progressive nation tour in Cleveland, May 17th. Two of my all time favorite bands together, best night of my life.

Nice. On a related note, I've got tickets for Opeth at the House of Blues (Dallas) in October.
Mmm.

Savara

Postby Savara » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

I have to agree with the OP - I saw Muse at Reading festival in 2006 and they were completely mindblowingly awesome. Just wow.

Aethernox - is that Stephen Wilson? (PT etc.) :mrgreen: Never seen Porcupine Tree live, but I'm hoping to in October.

More recently, the New York Philharmonic playing Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony at the BBC Proms was absolutely epic.
'Ridcully was to management what King Herod was to the Bethlehem Playgroup Association'

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

I've seen Opeth (yesterday) and Muse (last year).

The Opeth concert was better for these reasons: Frontman spoke more and was funny, I brought my earplugs, Sound quality was a tonne better due to venue, I was near the pit rather than way up the back in some seats, The band played for longer, The support band was far superior and the band did an encore. The bands themselves I like about equally, but both concerts were awesome.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Savara wrote:Aethernox - is that Stephen Wilson? (PT etc.) :mrgreen: Never seen Porcupine Tree live, but I'm hoping to in October.

Yes, it is, and I envy you.

Toeofdoom: It has always seemed to me that Mikael would be a great person to see in concert, as he seems to have an excellent sense of humor.

Savara

Postby Savara » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

Just about to head into London for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing Mahler's 6th symphony, I'll let you know how it went, but it should be awesome.
'Ridcully was to management what King Herod was to the Bethlehem Playgroup Association'

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:19 am UTC

It's been five hours since I got back from a My Bloody Valentine show; my ears are still ringing and I'm still walking around like a drunk after the 20-minute "wall of sound" at the end of their set.

Epic is the only word for it.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:36 am UTC

Phat Moon, Inangahua, this year. It rained for a long time beforehand, and it was held in a paddock, so it was mud. There were only a few big "name" bands, like Concord Dawn and Black Sun Emoire, but it was all good drum and bass.

We set out from Nelson at about 4 o'clock, and by 4:30 I was really really drunk. We were doing shots of Super De Luxe absinthe in the car for the 1.5 hours it took to get there, and as soon as we arrived, I did a few bong hits, spewed everywhere and passed out in a tent. An hour and a half later I woke up, some passed me half a joint, and then I raved until 6 am, when I fell asleep again. Woke up at 9, with a huge hangover, and left my wallet in a cafe.

Best moment:

I was sitting in the drinks tent, and this random girl walks up to me, sits on my knee, and starts stroking my head. We talk about something, i can't remember what, and then she stands up and walks towards the dance floor, lloking back at me a few times.

My mate comes up and says "Bro, go after her!"

"Dude, I'm so fucked I can't even walk". Try to stand up, slump back into chair, wave at girl. Never saw her again. You only get one chance with hippie chicks.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

So, I'm back from Opeth, in Dallas. Quite simply, it was amazing. I loved the venue, and despite one opening band being decent and the other being terrible, it was entirely worth it when Opeth came out. They covered music from all of their albums aside from Orchid. I was quite pleased.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:08 am UTC

When I saw Opeth, they only played 3 songs. Lamb of God played after them and got a set twice as long. It was a fucking travesty. Those 3 songs were incredible, though.

Just out of curiosity, what song did they play off Morningrise?

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

I think when I went they played "The Night and the Silent Water". I would've preferred To bid you farewell as it was the first opeth song I heard and thus is awesomer in my mind, but I dont think any would've disappointed.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Before playing, Mikael described their next song as moody, sentimental, melodic, and from Morningrise. Similarly, I was somewhat hoping to hear To Bid You Farewell, but the band played The Night and The Silent Water during this show, as well.

If I recall correctly, the set list was something like this:
Heir Apparent
The Grand Conjuration
Hope Leaves
Deliverance
The Lotus Eater
The Night and the Silent Water
Bleak
Serenity Painted Death
Demon of the Fall
The Drapery Falls

There are likely several mistakes, but I'm rather sure the songs are correct.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Do you know if they ever play Black Rose Immortal live?

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:44 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Do you know if they ever play Black Rose Immortal live?

I'm rather sure that, due to its length, they haven't, but that would certainly be breathtaking.

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

My Bloody Valentine, though not by that much. I've been to many, many good concerts in the last year.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

This was the list from the one I went to (spoilered for size):
Spoiler:
Heir Apparent
Master's Apprentices
The Baying of the Hounds
Serenity Painted Death
To Rid The Disease
The Lotus Eater
Bleak
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
The Drapery Falls

And yeah, whenever they have another show in Melbourne I'm there.

Website

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:14 am UTC

Victor Wooten and his band. It was amazing, both in musical and show terms. I sat in the second row and got the chance to shake hands with their keyboard player, drummer, and, if I'm not mistaken, Regi Wooten.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Technically I haven't been to it yet, but in a month I'm going to see The Aquabats and Suburban Legends together, which I am confident will break my mind from the sheer awesome forces.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

McLovin

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Can my best concert be a series of concerts? Coheed and Cambria's Neverender series over the past 4 nights in NYC. Definitely the most epic shows that I've seen, and the most intense nights of my life. Especially the encore of Night 4--They had Greg Allman playing guitar with them, and ended with a cover of I Shall Be Released by Bob Dylan, and a guitar battle between Claudio and Greg. Absolutely INCREDIBLE.

Edit'd: Not to mention their encore during night 3, which was their always-awesome Everything Evil / The Trooper / Devil In Jersey City / Everything Evil medley. I'll edit in links to pictures and videos of Night 4 once I get around to uploading them :3

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:59 am UTC

Mid-eighties a small indie band that I don't remember the name of (to many rock concerts I guess). Anyway, the thing that stands out the most is right in the middle of the concert they had 30 minute solos for the guitars and keyboards (go 80's!). The thing that got me the most was half way through the drum solo the drummer broke his last pair of drumsticks so he just started whaling away with his hands. It really struck me I remember it clearly twenty years or so later. I often wonder how his hands felt the next day.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Cheeveer

Postby Cheeveer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

I saw The Hellacopters' 2nd last gig ever this Sunday. Pretty much the best thing ever.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:Technically I haven't been to it yet, but in a month I'm going to see The Aquabats and Suburban Legends together, which I am confident will break my mind from the sheer awesome forces.

the aquabats are incredible live.

but i saw protest the hero a couple of weeks ago

man oh man

fucking insane

King_Nothing

Postby King_Nothing » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

I'm from England so I RARELY get the chance to see Ted Nugent. He made one appearance on this year's Rolling Thunder tour. But on previous tours he has often missed our little island off completely!

Still, Monday 14th July 2008 he blew me away for the 3rd time. Absolutely amazing. Words escape me.
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

EeveE

Postby EeveE » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Kamelot Ghost Opera tour was the best, Khan sings better live than on his CDs it was absolutely amazing! Symphony X Paradise Lost comes in a close second place.
Spoiler:
Coke cans are red like Communism.

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Single act has to be Green Day absolutely hands down.

Best overall show though Ska Weekend '06.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:57 am UTC

DMBQ a couple of days ago were very very good (as normal).

Miike

Postby Miike » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:06 am UTC

oh me oh my.

I am going to see ELECTRIC SIX in seventeen hours and I am confident that it will blow anything my delicate little mind can imagine out of the water.

UNTIL THEN: 1) third eye blind was unreal.

2) MUSTASCH was amazing at progpower. anyone who does not look up their newest CD and/or find a video of them playing 6:36 is doing themselves an incredible disservice.

3) I LOVE SKA SHOWS I LOVE SKA SHOWS I LOVE SKA SHOWS I LOVE SKA SHOWS. Suburban Legends/Streetlight/RBF is practically the best show I could imagine that didn't include anyone up there ^ . Only thing is you NEED ROOM TO DANCE.

And... 4) FUCKING MEGADETH
Dave is pretty much my idol. Nobody has rocked longer or harder. Period.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Opeth at the Wiltern (LA) last month. It was fucking awesome. Openers weren't that great, but as soon as Opeth opened with Heir Apparent, it was amazing.

Heir Apparent
The Grand Conjuration
Serenity Painted Death
Hope Leaves
The Lotus Eater
Bleak
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall

Encore:
The Drapery Falls

My only wish was that they had played The Drapery Falls somewhere in the middle, and Demon of the Fall as the encore. As usual, the between song dialog was hilarious.

As far as Dream Theater and Opeth, Dream Theater is too cock rock for me.
Last edited by PhatPhungus on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Torben

Postby Torben » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

The Dillinger Escape Plan in the most intense 2 hours of my life.
1101010111111110001111001111111 - tell me if you get it...

Julien

Postby Julien » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Peter Gabriel was the best. It was magic. I remained in the mood of the gig during several weeks.

I can also cite The Zombies, The Who, Genesis, Roger Hodgson, Al Stewart, David Bowie, Yes, and King Crimson as the best concerts I saw.
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:07 am UTC

Second to Opeth is probably a ska concert I went to a while ago, The Skank Agents opened (a great San Diego band), then DJ Lance Rock from Yo Gabba Gabba (funnest thing ever! He had the entire room dancing silly dances. It was awesome), then some band no one cared about, then the Aquabats.

Ska shows are definitely the funnest, if not the best.

Colorbynumberz

Postby Colorbynumberz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:03 am UTC

I think the best concert I've ever been to was Theory of a Deadman and Crooked X. There is a large chance that I'm biased, though, considering I was right in front of the stage, and I got to meet and talk to both bands before and after the concert.
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

"No woman is required to build the world by destroying herself."
-Rabbi Sofer

Return to “Music”