House vs Dexter

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

falsum

House vs Dexter

Postby falsum » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

A brilliant liar vs a brilliant lie detector. Also two of the most awesome shows on TV.

Here's the scenario I envision: Rita winds up in the hospital with some delibitating and mysterious illness, and due to the mysterious and dramatic nature of her symptoms, House and his team are put on the case. The disease is somehow linked to Dexter's serial killer tendencies (perhaps blood borne), and Dexter knows it. He is of course there with her in the hospital for much of the time, and has good reason to want to throw House off.

The stakes are high here. If House figures it out, then Dexter is on death row. But if he doesn't, or if he takes too long to do it, then Dexter may find out about House's involvement in euthanasia, and House may wake up wrapped in cellophane. So somebody's gonna die.

Personally, I think Dexter, just because he works faster. House requires a good few days of investigation to have his eureka moment, but Dexter kills as soon as he sees a target and an opportunity. Given the situation, he'll work extra quickly on House.

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Re: House vs Dexter

Postby Anpheus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

Or House will notice the tendencies, stab him in the neck with sodium pentothal and proceed to torture him for information with complete and utter disregard for hospital regulations and the law.

The result is of course that Dexter and House would both go to jail.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

I think Anpheus pretty much got it right...

...except the part where House is awesome.

includemaliciousintent

Postby includemaliciousintent » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Its almost like Kira and L...you know its gonna end awesome, but you know Kira will lose afterwords.
"Money can buy you anything except true love and home grown tomatoes" - Prarie Home Companion (real radio show, not movie).

Abstruse

Postby Abstruse » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:25 am UTC

Why do people like House?

He's snarky, best watch out or he might hit you with his cane! This is a gayer affectation than wearing a Top-hat and cape and singing "The Music of the Night".

Personally I'd rather just read amusing medical literature. Like you can find here; http://scienceblogs.com/agoodpoop/?utm_ ... m=dropdown

Now Dexter, that show has some hysterical moments.

Falmarri

Postby Falmarri » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:03 am UTC

Because house is everything that we are. Insensitive, brilliant, uncaring for social rules.

Speaking of house, did anyone watch The Mentalist? The guy kind of reminded me of house in a way, mostly his arrogance and brilliance. Was a pretty good show.

caje

Postby caje » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Dexter would kill House after he cured Rita.

House is very smart, Dexter also is, but Dexter is a psychopath who has been training his ENTIRE life.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

Dexter is a true psychopath so House wouldn't get anything out of him other then figuring out that he's a psychopath. That little PI guy that Houses uses however would then uncover Dexter's hobby. House would confront Dexter about it and the cards would be laid out on the table openly. Dexter couldn't kill House as he tends to save life opposed to ruining it(*), the little PI guy though might be another story. I think House would ignore bringing Dexter's hobby to light and Rita gets saved(unfortunately, boo she's always inadvertantly ruining his fun :P).

* I don't watch House regularly enough to comment on whether Dexter could find a reason to kill him.

Krakatoa

Postby Krakatoa » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:18 am UTC

I see both of these characters as incarnations of my personality, so it's hard to say. On a physical level, Dexter would kick House's ass... but as ideas and values, I think it would be a hardass match. After all, there's no good guy.

caje

Postby caje » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:27 am UTC

[quote="BumpInTheNight"That little PI guy that Houses uses however would then uncover Dexter's hobby.[/quote]

Remember though the PI is not very good at being sneaky and I think Dexter would figure out someone is following him quickly and make sure he lost him before he went off to kill.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

caje wrote:[quote="BumpInTheNight"That little PI guy that Houses uses however would then uncover Dexter's hobby.

Remember though the PI is not very good at being sneaky and I think Dexter would figure out someone is following him quickly and make sure he lost him before he went off to kill.[/quote]

I'm not so sure anymore, like he knew to shake Doakes cause he was very forward about his intentions but even during season 2 dexter's kills have been getting more impulsive and less planning. Season 3 so far I mean he's been caught twice now blindly walking into a situation and having to do quick damage control to avoid being exposed. But I really don't know much about the PI guy other then seeing the first house episode he'd appeared in, if he really is that un-sneaky then yah Dexter might be tipped off.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:44 am UTC

I demand this thread be more interesting. This is now the Batman vs. Dexter thread.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:12 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I demand this thread be more interesting. This is now the Batman vs. Dexter House vs. Rabid Wombat thread.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Danny_Salinger

Postby Danny_Salinger » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Personally I'd be more interested seeing Dexter vs. Shawn Spencer from Psych.

Ardghal

Postby Ardghal » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Screw that, Dexter vs. Monk.

Without going into too much detail, I'd give the upper hand to Monk because his super-Obsessive Complusive Disorder would detect things even Dexter's honed evidence-disposal abilites would miss. Even if Dexter outsmarted the entire police department and escape from custody anyway, he wouldn't have any reason under his code to go after Monk afterwards. If it were a deathmatch, Dexter would probably win, but if the game is Monk trying to catch him vs. Dexter trying to avoid detecting, Monk would bring it home.

radguy58

Postby radguy58 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

In most scenarios I see Dexter losing. Most of his relationships are predicated on a pretty big lie (that he's not a sociopath) and he has impulse control problems which would be his eventual undoing.

Especially in the case of House vs Dexter, House would have the upper hand. House would be able to peg Dexter as a sociopath the minute they interacted (or at least suspect it). This would cause House to investigate further. Unlike the other sleuths though, House has a team of intelligent doctors who will break the law at his whim. One of these red shirts would probably die when Dexter finally flips his lid and brakes his 'moral' code, but the word would eventually get back to House. At this point House could easily manipulate Dexter into a trap and have him arrested or euthanized. I'm sure House could easily make it look like an accident and use the Hospital's standard mechanisms for body disposal.

Both Shawn and Monk often investigate dangerous scenes in person and are more moral then House. I'm almost sure Monk would die because he cannot overcome his disabilities in stressful situations. I'm not as sure about Shawn and Gus though. Dexter would be immune to Shawn's jokes (being a sociopath and all), but in dire situations Gus and Shawn may be able to double team Dexter. I'm not sure they could overpower Dexter though. One other factor is that both Monk and Psych often have armed backup somewhere in the vicinity of the action. Being that Dexter may take his time killing, it could increase the possibility of discovery.
You can count on infinity, naturally.

caje

Postby caje » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:48 am UTC

After tonights episode I'm pretty convinced Dexter would be able to keep his story away from house. Manipulate everybody in the hospital to be against house (probably not to hard) and keep him occupied so he can't spend time dealing with Dexter.

Sana

Postby Sana » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

I don't really like House (I've only seen one or two episodes), but my best guess is that both Dexter and House are of that certain "protagonist" archetype which can very simply never die, and always has to emerge victorious.

Danny_Salinger

Postby Danny_Salinger » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

caje wrote:After tonights episode I'm pretty convinced Dexter would be able to keep his story away from house. Manipulate everybody in the hospital to be against house (probably not to hard) and keep him occupied so he can't spend time dealing with Dexter.

On the flipside, the hospital staff is used to being against House. It hasn't really stopped them from cooperating with him. If anything, it'd probably lead one of House's assistants to go against his orders out of sympathy, which leads to House getting trapped and killed.

Edit: Looking for a way to bring in some Orson Scott Card kids while keeping the match fair...

caje

Postby caje » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:55 am UTC

Danny_Salinger wrote:
caje wrote:After tonights episode I'm pretty convinced Dexter would be able to keep his story away from house. Manipulate everybody in the hospital to be against house (probably not to hard) and keep him occupied so he can't spend time dealing with Dexter.

On the flipside, the hospital staff is used to being against House. It hasn't really stopped them from cooperating with him. If anything, it'd probably lead one of House's assistants to go against his orders out of sympathy, which leads to House getting trapped and killed.

Edit: Looking for a way to bring in some Orson Scott Card kids while keeping the match fair...

The Enemies gate is down... And more over quoted statements to come. :lol:

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

No contest.

House would likely discover the cause of the illness, but being an incredibly brilliant misanthrope, he'd keep his mouth shut about what it was, cure Rita, but not die a terrible death, because he'd lie about what the problem was.

No contest, no winner, no loser.

jatoskep

Postby jatoskep » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

Just started watching Dexter because of this thread, and I must say, one of the best damn shows I've seen in a while. :D

Return to “Religious Wars”