Help Wanted

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Help Wanted

Postby Hammer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

Based on some recent threads and some requests, I'm giving this a try. If you have or know of or want a CS/IT/Coding related job, you can post the details here. The "no links before five posts" rule still applies. This is a tool for members of our community. If I don't feel that your posting is on the up-and-up, I will delete it.

Don't forget to include contact instructions. Remember that this board is public and indexed by search engines when posting contact info.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Re: Help Wanted

Postby Mr. Heavy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

Linux Sysadmin Wanted - Cold Spring Harbor, NY

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-leading non-profit organization specializing in genetics, cancer research, bioinformatics, neuroscience, and other related life sciences blah blah blah is looking to hire a full-time mid-level to senior Linux system administrator.

Here is the official job posting:

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned scientific research facility on Long Island's North Shore, is seeking someone to help administer the Linux portion of a heterogeneous network, and maintain existing software applications.

The scope of responsibilities includes day-to-day operations, as well as project-based and programming-oriented work. You will help to administer 200+ Red Hat variant Linux servers including large, SATA-based storage arrays, blade technology, and other server architectures. You will maintain authentication schemes using LDAP-derived technologies. You will work as part of the Lab's system administration team, and will help to set the Lab's IT policy and direction.

Requirements
  • 1-3+ years working as a Linux Systems Administrator
  • Ability to write scripts in some administrative language
  • Knowledge of NFS, TCP-IP, DNS, RAID, authentication (NIS, LDAP, AD)
  • Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of training users in applications and operating system fundamentals and writing basic documentation.

Desirable Background and Skills
  • A degree in computer science or related job experience.
  • Programming experience in any applicable language.

Appropriate Responsibilities
  • Administers a small, uniform site alone or assists in the administration of a larger system.
  • Works under the general supervision of a system engineer or systems manager.
  • Performs additional IT related tasks, as assigned by management.
  • Performs weekend on-call functions.

We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.

What we actually work with:
  • Storage. Lots and lots of it. We have PIs who generate 2-4 TB of data on any given week, and it all needs to go somewhere. This ranges from a couple of standalone SATA-based storage servers to high-end tiered NAS/SAN systems that do NFS and CIFS in hardware.
  • Blade hardware. We have a very heavy investment in blade infrastructure. It makes life easy.
  • HPC computing. A 500-node supercomputer. All this data needs to get processed, and boy howdy do we process it.
  • Interoperability. You'll be working heavily with integrating the Linux and Windows sides of our infrastructure together.
  • High availability. If you want to be a part of a team that's taking decent-availability to the next level over the next couple of months with enterprise SAN/NAS and virtualization projects, this is a really good place to be.
  • Directory services. We have a very complicated directory services infrastructure, and would love it if you could help simplify it.
  • Web services. We have an awful lot of people here running an awful lot of very diverse multi-platform web applications for a lot of different things. You'll be seeing a lot of Perl, Python and PHP around here.

We have a network group. You don't need any knowledge of Cisco IOS or routing or anything, provided you understand basic networking. We certainly won't turn you away if you have it, though.

Why you would want to work here:
  • Your job is to help cancer researchers do their jobs.
  • The IT environment rocks. It sucked, and the IT director got canned and now it doesn't. You get to be part of a group that reshapes a so-so IT environment into something completely awesome. Being a part of that architectural transition from "eh" into "holy christ this is awesome" is like nothing else the IT world can offer. We have a really talented, dedicated group of people here.
  • We have a bar on campus 100 feet from where you'll be working that starts serving at 5:00. The IT department typically accounts for a large percentage of its patronage. Sometimes there is also free beer elsewhere on campus. Life is good.
  • We're 10 minutes from anything you could possibly ever want to eat in Huntington Village or Syosset. We also have on-campus dining, and cooked-to-order bar lunch. This isn't important for some people, but food is a big thing for me.
  • The view is absolutely gorgeous from anywhere on campus and this is probably the most visually appealing place I will ever work in my entire life.
  • This place looks really, really good on a resume.
  • On-call duties are really light. Stuff doesn't go down often, and most of the time when it does it can wait until morning. You'd be in a 6-week rotation with other admins, and generally it involves carrying a phone around and prioritizing Nagios alerts. I think I've only had to come in once, which was to work on restoring a server from tape so it would be ready by Monday.

Why you wouldn't want to work here:
  • We're a non-profit. Use your imagination about the pay. It's not what I would describe as "bad," you can live on what we pay you without much trouble, but we're a bit on the left half of the bell curve.
  • Science presents a lot of unique challenges in terms of distributed responsibilities for system management. It can make you pull your hair out sometimes. It's rewarding, though.
  • If you live in Suffolk County, the commute west really sucks. There's no backroads way here that's quick, leaving you at the mercy of highway traffic.

Who we want:
  • Someone who's a really quick learner who's good at reading documentation and writing documentation.
  • Someone who has a genuine love for technology and the implementation of technology.
  • Someone with people skills who can talk to scientists without people skills.

Who to contact:
PM or AIM me to drop me a resume and I'll see that it gets to the right people.
Mr. Heavy

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

If anyone knows of any developer positions in the NYC area let me know. i am inactively looking. i have 3 years experience and focus primarily on c/c++. smaller companies preferred.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet
segmentation fault

Postby Spoom » Thu May 22, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

I know a company in Nova Scotia, Canada that's looking to hire an experienced PHP developer. PM me and I'll pass you along, I work with one of the developers on a fairly regular basis and they seem like a decent group.
All other things being equal, the simplest solution is ale.
Spoom

Postby k1ll3rdr4g0n » Sun May 25, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

I am currently looking for help (beta testers) for new projects I work on.
My latest projects involve:
DNSquery tool - http://www.dnsknife.net
Code pasting site (though with a wiki twist) - http://www.pastethis.net
An all around information gathering wiki - http://wiki.datanethost.net
And after the summer I will be developing a game engine called IrrLib (I have started work on it, so check out the SVN) - http://svn.datanethost.net/irrlib/

By beta tester I mean someone who wont go through the ins and outs to make sure EVERY feature works (thats my job ;)), but to make sure in normal use nothing bad funny happens. And also to give me ideas. As I am only a single minded person I have limited ideas, but I am always open to new suggestions, comments, questions, concerns.
I would be willing to put up a beta tester page with your name with a link to your site (or where ever you want...has to be SFW though) on each of the sites you test. Please don't contact me, telling me you tested it and then ask me for 500GB of disk space. I am constantly adding new features and twerking things here and there.

I can't offer money, but perhaps we can work out some sort of hosting agreement (I do own a hosting company).
As far as contacting me you can PM me or on any of the following mediums
AIM - adamsna101
MSN - k1ll3rdr4g0n4u@hotmail.com
Email - Image

Who would could this apply to? Well almost anyone, but mostly developers. I would also be thrilled if someone would write help or documentation for some of the things I develop (at least help).
k1ll3rdr4g0n

Empowering Consumers

Postby Soudruh » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

First Post.

So for those who aren't familiar with the concept of Decentralized Democracy, it is this: Ensuring as much of 'the vote' is in the hand of each citizen as possible, and ensuring that decision-making leaders are held closely to those they represent. (A politician writes the best law that will work for the citizenry, he does not actually take direction for them.)

In line with this idea is the concept of the money vote. Since whenever we buy a product, it is basically saying that you are okay (or ignorant of) the process through which that service or product came to be. The money vote funds a lot of bad and good activity, such as cluster-bomb manufactures and companies that actively crush labour movements, as well as corporations moving for zero-waste production and restoring seed diversity.

The most comprehensive guide for putting your money where your mind is is "The Better Shopper" Guide; A book that grades and categorizes all groceries and basic amenities for the consumer, telling them who is naughty and who is nice. The flaw of the book, despite it's easy layout, is that it is one more thing to do and the average Joe is too lazy to do it. A far more significant flaw is that it becomes outdated fairly quickly as companies actively shift their policies, merge, or separate.

With the advent of RFID-reading Cellphones however, the system could be kept up to date, trouble-free, and placed in a tool that everyone carries with them as is, should someone write a program that could be downloaded onto the phone. I do not have programming experience, but people like Randall seem to be able to make their GPS computers sing sweet music to them. Is there interest and advice on developing a program to this end? It would require the user to order 20 items in list of priority (labour rights over environment, GM Product over labour rights, etc.) The cellphone's RFID reader would have to recognize the chip, which contains the name of the producer. The name would be run through an NGO-owned database and it would run through the 20 item list. If there is more good then bad according to the user's preference, you would get a curt 'go-ahead' signal from the phone. The consumer would know they are not funding a company that opposes their ethics.

I believe it has huge potential, especially if the feedback can be sold to corporations. Companies would change faster knowing that the effect on their sales would be immediate, regardless of how ignorant about the business the consumer may be. I could see a lot of interested investors for the idea too.

Could such a program be written up with say, Python? Are there people here interested in the idea or knowledgeable about current limitations? If you feel you are, please tell me what you have to say, a little about yourself, and if you would be willing to take on the project.

Respectfully,

Daniel Adaszynski, of British Columbia
Soudruh

Postby CogDissident » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Avenue A Razorfish is one of the best, most laid back developing companies I've ever worked with. I'm here as an intern now, and they do hire extensively all over for various small projects.

http://jobs-aarf.icims.com/aarf_jobs/jo ... /intro.jsp
CogDissident

Contract Job Opp.: Computer Vision / Image Processing

Postby Sam Weir » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Hi there, xkcd-ers:

I've asked so many questions on these fora that I thought I'd try to return the favor in some small way by posting a summer job opportunity. Okay, it helps my company, too.

Actuality Medical is seeking software engineers for a contract position in image processing and machine vision in the field of cancer-treatment technology. I think this is both an opportunity to invent algorithms and to do something good for others. Anyhow, you can learn more at: http://actuality-medical.com/Careers.html. We're in the Boston, Mass. area.

In a past life, Actuality made hologram-like, floating-image 3-D displays. They are used in medical research (and on CSI:NY), which led us to combining GPU programming with oncology applications. And there you have it.

-"sw"

Moved to the help-wanted thread
Sam Weir

Help motivate, artists, apply within (game project)

Postby Jackpot » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Dear SB,

I am a 2nd/3rd year games programming at *insert awesome uni here*. I am working on a game over the summer holidays, but I am not motivated. I find myself wasting time on comedy sites, and etc. Can you please help me get on track with making it?

ADDEMENDUM :

If you are an artist, interested in helping a brother out with a 2d space shooter with a twist (think doom to painkiller), please show your interest in here, or through pm. or through email.

Tech :

I am currently learning to use the HGE API to implement it's features in an engine. See the tutorials for what will be possible.

http://hge.relishgames.com/
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.
Jackpot

Postby akashra » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:34 am UTC

We're looking for a Graduate QA Engineer, and a Junior Application Support Engineer, based in Hawthown (Melbourne), Australia. If you're interested PM me, and I'll get you a job description.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )
akashra

Job wanted

Postby Pesto » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

I'm currently job hunting, and hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

Background: I graduated in 2004 with a B.S. in computer engineering. Since then I've been pursuing other things and have not focused much on my computer background. I'm now trying to get back into computers more seriously and am looking for a software development position.

Problems:
- I live in Chicago, and I'm trying to relocate to San Francisco.
- My education and interest is in firmware/embedded systems, but my professional experience is more along the lines of a DBA
- Everything on Monster and CareerBuilder seems to be team leads and senior developers. I need an entry-level position.

I promise you, I'm smart and I learn quickly. 0.999... = 1, and the plane will take off. I can assure you that my work will never end up on thedailywtf.com.

If anyone reading this is looking for or knows someone who's looking for a software developer in the San Francisco area, please drop me a line. Ideally it would be something as close to the hardware as possible relying heavily on C or C++. My resume and references are ready to go.

Currently off the market.
Last edited by Pesto on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Pesto

Re: Empowering Consumers

Postby Fafnir43 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Soudruh wrote:First Post.

So for those who aren't familiar with the concept of Decentralized Democracy, it is this: Ensuring as much of 'the vote' is in the hand of each citizen as possible, and ensuring that decision-making leaders are held closely to those they represent. (A politician writes the best law that will work for the citizenry, he does not actually take direction for them.)

In line with this idea is the concept of the money vote. Since whenever we buy a product, it is basically saying that you are okay (or ignorant of) the process through which that service or product came to be. The money vote funds a lot of bad and good activity, such as cluster-bomb manufactures and companies that actively crush labour movements, as well as corporations moving for zero-waste production and restoring seed diversity.

The most comprehensive guide for putting your money where your mind is is "The Better Shopper" Guide; A book that grades and categorizes all groceries and basic amenities for the consumer, telling them who is naughty and who is nice. The flaw of the book, despite it's easy layout, is that it is one more thing to do and the average Joe is too lazy to do it. A far more significant flaw is that it becomes outdated fairly quickly as companies actively shift their policies, merge, or separate.

With the advent of RFID-reading Cellphones however, the system could be kept up to date, trouble-free, and placed in a tool that everyone carries with them as is, should someone write a program that could be downloaded onto the phone. I do not have programming experience, but people like Randall seem to be able to make their GPS computers sing sweet music to them. Is there interest and advice on developing a program to this end? It would require the user to order 20 items in list of priority (labour rights over environment, GM Product over labour rights, etc.) The cellphone's RFID reader would have to recognize the chip, which contains the name of the producer. The name would be run through an NGO-owned database and it would run through the 20 item list. If there is more good then bad according to the user's preference, you would get a curt 'go-ahead' signal from the phone. The consumer would know they are not funding a company that opposes their ethics.

I believe it has huge potential, especially if the feedback can be sold to corporations. Companies would change faster knowing that the effect on their sales would be immediate, regardless of how ignorant about the business the consumer may be. I could see a lot of interested investors for the idea too.

Could such a program be written up with say, Python? Are there people here interested in the idea or knowledgeable about current limitations? If you feel you are, please tell me what you have to say, a little about yourself, and if you would be willing to take on the project.

Respectfully,

Daniel Adaszynski, of British Columbia

That idea sounds remarkably like what these guys are doing (there's a good overview here), and I'd strongly recommend you get in touch with them. (In case you're wondering, it was founded by the developer of a niche puzzle game I happen to enjoy - I have no other connection to it.)
Fafnir43

Re: Empowering Consumers

Postby ErikH2000 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Soudruh wrote:In line with this idea is the concept of the money vote. Since whenever we buy a product, it is basically saying that you are okay (or ignorant of) the process through which that service or product came to be. The money vote funds a lot of bad and good activity, such as cluster-bomb manufactures and companies that actively crush labour movements, as well as corporations moving for zero-waste production and restoring seed diversity.

Soudruh, you are talking my language, and reaching the same conclusions I have. Please check out Ethical Spender (http://ethicalspender.org). We've just started putting together a spec for a rating system (IPORR) just about exactly like what you've described. We're looking for help with some of the research and specwriting.

-Erik Hermansen
President, Ethical Spender, Inc.
erikh@ethicalspender.org
ErikH2000

Postby OOPMan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Cape Town, South Africa

Good (And I mean good, no cowboy coders) PHP Developers are wanted at the company I work for...

Anyways, I realise it's a long shot fishing here, given the generally international crowd, but we could
do with some more good coders...

The site: Lima Bean

OOPMan

Postby chibu » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:25 am UTC

Hi there,

I'm looking for a job in Pittsburgh, Pa, USA. I personally specialize in web applications, though I can program pretty much anything. So, if anyone happens to know of anyone who needs someone to do some work, please feel free to let me know. I've been actively looking for about a two months now, with no response.

I am a recently graduated with a BS in Comp Sci from a Liberal Arts school, and I don't technically have any experience. However, I have been programming for about 15 years or so now. And working on web apps for 5 or 6 years. You can see some of my coding style from what I've posted in the fora, but I have other stuff if anyone's interested.

Thanks,
~ Chibu
chibu

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:25 am UTC

I may be on the job market soon, looking for a software/hardware position near cambridge UK. message me if you want my CV.
in ur beanz makin u eveel
evilbeanfiend

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:19 am UTC

Anyone want a hardware/firmware engineer? Preferably in Boston, Seattle, or Portland.

I have a BS in EE from a decent liberal arts school, and an MS in ECE from a very selective state school. Undergrad was generic electrical stuff. Graduate I concentrated in computer engineering. I mostly did architecture and circuits (of the integrated kind) stuff and wrote a thesis on digital memory circuits. I've spent the past year designing firmware with a little bit of analog board design/testing/modifying in the middle there. Oh, and as I work for a defense contractor, I do have a US secret clearance if that makes a difference. Or at least gives me some sort of geek cred at the bar later on.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.
Flying Betty

Postby sigmaman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:12 am UTC

I am looking to see if any company in the DC area is looking to take in an (advanced) high school student for mentorship. The student would come from Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, rated number one high school by US News & World Report in 2007, and would have the support of an experienced and rich mentorship base at the school. All areas of Computer Science are accepted, from Application Development to research. Contact me at legomaniac0117@gmail.com for more information.
sigmaman

Postby Mach1ne » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:33 am UTC

I am looking for any summer employment/internship type work in the Miami, Florida or general Florida area in the field of software development, computer graphic development (knowledge with OpenGL), or IT (do have experience). Contact using PM or e-mail: alocay@gmail.com
Mach1ne

Postby Yakk » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:34 pm UTC

Any software developers in the Ottawa (Ontario) area LFW? C++ a must, Linux/Applications development experience is a plus.

Dunno if there will be a fit, but it might be worth dropping a PM. (I'm not the one looking to hire)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Emu* » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Looking for a job to start as soon as I graduate, BSc Computer Science, Cardiff University.
Probably to start July 1st: I'm working at Glastonbury again.

Based in the UK: Cardiff, Newport, Bridgend, Bristol or anywhere in between.

Skills: Java, JOGL, PHP, ASP.net/C# (VB.net also), MySQL, Oracle(including Object-Oriented DBs), XHTML&CSS, XML Schema, XSLT.
Some experience of: Android, Smalltalk, C & C++, VB6.
Hoping to learn soon: RoR or Python.
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!
Emu*

Postby Dakun » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:47 am UTC

The department I work in is looking to hire some entry level application developers and/or production support resources. Looking for zero-two years experience, good soft skills, programming foundations in java, cobol, with some SQL or HTML experience. Web development a plus. Northeast USA, CT / western MA area. If you want more details PM me, I can't disclose a lot on a public form.

-Dak
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles
Dakun

New England Python Coder

Postby Peevish » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:42 am UTC

Been a great while since I posted, nobody's touched this thread in a year but whatevs!

I've been pecking away at an independent computer game for about a year, off and on, with a coder in Italy. And in the last couple months I've decided to drop my other personal projects and just focus on this one. But I don't think my coder has found a similar focus; in fact, quite the opposite. Maybe he needs another coder onboard to motivate him or maybe he just needs to be replaced, but hey, I'd kill for a coder in my area with whom I could actually share a room. I'm not able to pay anyone anything, though after release any money the game makes would be shared (though I've got some ideas about how much money I'd want the game to make...).

I'm in Providence, RI, hoping for a fellow New Englander. Everything done so far has been done in Python with the Pyglet library, and I'm hoping to stay Python because it's the only language I can read even a little. I've got a few links to the project for anyone who might want to take a gander.

blog: http://oneeyedmonsters.wordpress.com/
recruitment video: http://vimeo.com/4063669
devlog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=11507.0
Peevish

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:13 am UTC

I'm looking for someone to help out with programming for Eternal Silence, a mod for the Source engine. Development is speeding up to the point that I can't code fast enough by myself. There's no pay, but the job is very fun. Experience in C++ preferred, as well as a general good sense of game design.

You can contact me either through PM on this forum, here, or here.

EDIT: all positions are filled.
Last edited by headprogrammingczar on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby akashra » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

It's a long shot I know, but we could really do with more people on our team and have a budget to grow by around 30 more staff over the next 9 months. All of these positions are based in Melbourne, Australia (South Melbourne)
Currently we need:
- Java developers (senior)
- C++ devs (senior)
- PL/SQL devs (senior)
- Testers (junior)
- Windows systems admins (senior)
- HR people (junior)
- Office admin (junior)
- An industry consultant that would require rather particular technical skills - if you know DNS inside out, ask for more details.
- Probably a few more I've forgotten off the top of my head.

PM me for details.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )
akashra

Python Coder Available

Postby aaronasterling » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 am UTC

I'm an alright Python programmer on Maui looking for some coding opportunities. Either paid or open source preferably. I would also be willing to work unpaid on a closed source project for a cut of the potential profits.

I'm used to using git but have used svn in the past. I can be contacted at aaronasterling@gmail.com
Smarter than a chimpanzee
aaronasterling

Beta Testers wanted for small PC casual/action game

Postby thisissamantha » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Hi all ;)

I work with a small indie company and we are looking for PC beta testers immediately for an up-and coming release. The game is a casual/action game with 'toon style graphics.

If your interested in helping beta-test the game, than send me an email to beta@omni-arts.com

Much appreciated, and happy gaming ;)

Thanks, Samantha
thisissamantha

Postby Earlz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:18 am UTC

Hello, I'm available to work as a programmer. I'm strong in C, C++, PHP, and (especially) ASP.Net. I live in rural Oklahoma, and am not quite ready for relocation(though anything can be negotiated) so a telecommuting capable job is preferred. A quick list of keywords I'm experienced in/like: ASP.Net, C#, C, C++, SVN, PHP, Linux/Unix-like(including BSDs), Ruby, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, HTML, CSS, Javascript, and there is probably more.

My CV is at http://careers.stackoverflow.com/earlz and you can contact me by email: "my username(earlz) at my website's domain name(lastyearswishes.com)" or you can just PM me

Also, I was as of January, 2011, the top ranked stack overflow user in Oklahoma(about 7,000 rep).
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Mat » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:20 pm UTC

Hi guys,

My london based company really needs new developers at the moment. I get £££ for referrals so I'm a bit biased, but I think it's a pretty good opportunity for recent graduates. I joined when I finished my degree a couple of years ago and I'm now a senior developer there.

We're language agnostic providing you can demonstrate you know what you doing in your language of choice. We unfortunately have a lot of legacy code that's written in a scripting language no one uses any more (TCL), but all new products are written in Java. You'd need to know about web application development and databases. PM me If you're interested or want more details.
Last edited by Mat on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mat

Postby semicharmed » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 am UTC

PHP help wanted

I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ukraine right now, and the webmaster for our unofficial website, [url]pcukraine.org[/url]. The site primarily runs off Joomla! (2.5 now, not that it's relevant), but we have three tools for other Volunteers fed into the Joomla! site through a wrapper. I'm looking for help modifying the Materials Database, which was written (I think) in 2006, by a PCV who has long since left Ukraine. And whose name/contact information didn't make it across a gap in webmasters sometime in 2008/2009.

I know nothing about PHP, which hasn't been a problem so far because the MD has needed very little in the way of maintenance. But currently, there's a group of TEFL Volunteers who're starting a project called "Lesson Boost" and would like to make some modifications to the MD.

Specifically, the way it works now is that uploaded items are assigned a category, an optional sub-category and then an independent document type. The subcategory items are linked to a specific category, and the document type is totally separate. What we'd like to do is add an additional set of subcategories specific to the Lesson Boost category.

Right now, if Lesson Boost is selected, the subcategory list is English textbook authors. We'd like to add a subcategory for Grade Level (1-11 and University) and Unit Number (probably 1-15), underneath the author list but not dependent on which item is selected. So each item added to the Lesson Boost Category would be assigned an author, grade level and unit number.

So my first problem is I know no PHP - not even enough to tell how simple or complex of a task this is. Or if I'm even approaching it in the right way.

And the second problem: I/we can't pay you. None of the working groups receive any money from the PC, either from Ukraine or from HQ in Washington. And I have a feeling the $10 or 20 we'll have left once we pay for hosting and domain registration won't be enough to actually pay you. What I can offer is one of the t-shirts we're selling (guaranteed & shipped) and then either a box of Ukrainian/Soviet goodies - painted eggs, delicious tea, maybe some old maps/books depending on what you're into or a piece of custom knitting. The knitting (unless you want something in colours/yarn that I happen to have here in Ukraine) won't be done until I'm back in the US, but the scarf/hat/gloves (or something equivalently-sized) of your deepest desires could be yours. Or possibly a homecooked Ukrainian meal, but that would depend on you being somewhat close to NYC after June (or in a place I'm travelling to).

If you're interested, PM me and I can send you more details about the PHP and mySQL setup. Also, if there's something you need me to clarify, ask!
semicharmed

Postby sebwiers » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

The company I work for (Blue Earth Interactive, St. Paul Minnesoatta) usually has an opening or two. Right now they specifically need a good front end web designer / developer (strong css, html, javascript skills). Wordpress skills would be a plus, as would mobile development skills.
Its a pretty good place to work - strongly developer focused, good environment, equipment, and support, fair compensation & management practices. Last year they got an award for being the #2 small company to work for from one of the major local biz mags.
sebwiers

Postby screen317 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:20 am UTC

Malwarebytes currently has two job openings; if you apply, do tell them that screen317 referred you. :)

http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/result ... -platforms
Sr. Software Engineer - Platforms

Malwarebytes is a leading provider of anti-malware software solutions to consumers and businesses alike. Our flagship technologies and products protect more than 80 million computers around the world! In the highly competitive security software sector, we have earned an international reputation for our rapid response and high success rate in combating new malicious threats.

It’s simple, be passionate, committed and excited about designing and developing cutting edge systems. If this sounds like you, let’s talk. This can be a remote or onsite position

What you’re going to do:

- Develop systems for the collection and storage of Big Data and leveraging Cloud computing systems such as Amazon Web Services (AWS).

- Develop cross-functional analytics services

- Develop systems for the automating testing and analysis of malware and other threats.

- Design, Create, Use and Contribute to both internal and Open Source libraries.

- Design and develop large scale REST-Based APIs.

- Unit Test, Document and Peer Review.

Recommended Skills:

- Scripting Languages - PHP preferred, Python

- Development Languages - Java, C, C++

- Database - MySQL, MongoDB, Bigtable (BTS), Hadoop (or other "big table" solutions)

- Web Portal Development

- Source Control - SVN, Git

- Network Protocols - HTTP, DNS, etc

- Proactively communicate with a distributed workforce

- Work and Learn Independently, without the need for micro management

Apply Now: (see link above so bots don't harvest the contact info).

Second position:

http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/result ... ---finland
Product / Technical Support - EMEA - Location: Finland

Malwarebytes is a leading provider of anti-malware solutions to consumers and businesses alike. Our flagship technologies and products protect more than 80 million computers around the world! In the highly competitive security software sector, we have earned an international reputation for our rapid response and high success rate in combating new malicious threats.

Product / Technical Support - EMEA - Finland

Requirements:

In-depth knowledge of and the ability to build, setup, reconfigure, manipulate software and hardware.
Ability to setup and test in an emulated/virtual environment, such as; VMWare, Virtual Box, Virtual PC
Proficient with windows domain and workgroup network infrastructures
Ability to convey detail instructions verbally and in writing, a creative thinker and problem solver.
Participate on Malwarebytes Forums and Helpdesk, addressing technical issues posted by users and customers as assigned.
Create report of the daily issue reported from either forums or helpdesk tickets.
Speak / Writes English and German or French, Spanish would be a plus
Prior Experience working with malware removal tools and security software, supporting Consumer, Corporate & Enterprise customers to positive outcomes.

Experience:

Recent Customer facing experience; telephone or email.
Accept Tier 1 / Tier 2 consumer and enterprise calls via emails and forum posts, to understand and replicate the issue presented, then provide the appropriate solution to the issue.
Strong configuration, troubleshooting and debugging skills relating to hardware, drivers and software issues
Design, set up, configure, troubleshoot and manage corporate networks / home networks
Proficient in installation, configuration, maintenance of SQL server or equivalent databases
Proficient in Windows OS, XP, Vista and 7 as well as Windows Server 2003, 2008
Proficient in Windows Command lines, scripting structure and syntax.
Ability to work with distributed teams.
Prior experience working with Anti-malware, Antivirus, firewall and security software a plus

Job Location: Helsinki, Finland – no relocation is offered for this position
screen317

Postby webzter_again » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:44 am UTC

We're hiring a junior to mid-level .net dev in Denver, CO. Some level of experience with asp.net, some sort of MVC stack experience, and JavaScript all highly useful. Plus you get to work with me and I'm a very charming fellow. Salary is competitive, work will be challenging, and the company is very small (you'd be the third developer on the team).
webzter_again

Postby rait56 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:26 am UTC

i am a small web designer, but from last week i waste my time by the many gaming site..and still now i waste my time,can you help me by changing my root...
rait56

Postby screen317 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

A lot of positions opened up at Malwarebytes!

If you apply, tell them screen317 referred you. :)

https://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Ca ... k9Vfwm&v=1
screen317

Postby jazz14456 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Since this hasn't already been mentioned (please excuse me if it isn't all right to post this) : careers.stackoverflow.com
For job seekers, there are a lot of nice looking jobs on there with a variety of necessary skillets. For job employers, although it costs somewhere around three hundred dollars to make a post, you attract many smart, helpful, and talented programmers.

Is it okay to post volunteer positions for a more minor position?
This place is ending and its time to go.
jazz14456

Postby lgw » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:50 am UTC

My team within Amazon EC2 needs developers. If working on this product appeals, read on! My Spot cluster is faster than your supercomputer. :D

Here's an example help-wanted ad for a position on the team, but the key bit is this.

Spoiler:
Developers on this team need a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. You should be someone who enjoys working on complex system software, has a very good understanding of data consistency and transactions between distributed services. All of our development is very customer-centric, and you should feel strongly not only about building and releasing good software but about making that software achieve its goals in operational reality. Experience with web-based applications and/or web services-based applications, especially at massive scale, is also helpful.
If you have an established career as a software developer (5+ years developing commercial software) we don't care so much about your background exactly matching everything we're looking for - mostly we just want very smart people with back-end experience that overlaps somewhere (web service, distributed system, something). Also, the job's in Seattle, WA, so it would really help if you're currently working in the US (and willing to relocate).

The pros: smart people to work with on hard problems, and since we're part of the EC2 team, it's a great step for a career doing anything cloud-scale.

The cons: everything bad you've heard about the work environment here may well be true to some degree - devs wear a pager and will be on-call regularly, there are no cubes, you just get a desk to work at, the whole "silicon valley free soda dev-focused" culture is absent - you can tell it's not a software company.

Really, the ups and downs are much like a small company: lots of empowerment and freedom for teams to choose their own tools and processes, but you have to do all the work to keep the site live - testing, deployment, it's your problem if customers are unhappy, etc. Coding's only half the job.

PM me if you're interested.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly
lgw

Return to Coding