1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:08 pm UTC

addams wrote:June Bug?
oh...She is very busy OutSide.
Actually, it's BlitzGirl who claims to be the Mopy Mome when she tops the page.

edit: ...and now it's me that tops the page (NP2618) as Pope. I hereby decree that we celebrate all OTTers who have been Outside. It's a silly place.
Spoiler:
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

yappobiscuits

It's only a model

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:13 pm UTC

Sorry to shamelessly plug and stuff but just to let y'all know if you've ever fancied getting hold of a copy of Iron SeaWolpy's album, now is the time as we've put it on sale to mark its first anniversary. Good seaish, raftcastlish fun!

mrob27 wrote:Best wishes, @yappobiscuits. I'm still interested in helping with the OTTscars results Pt. 2.

Thanks. But first I need to be motivated to continue it which right now definitely isn't happening. But I'll be in touch someday!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

balthasar_s

It happened

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Hmm, I think things are going to become more confusing for b and his friends soon.

ggh wrote:Probably more confusing for all of us. :)

Redundant
Spoiler:
youarehere.png
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:33 am UTC

It's feeling lonely over in that thread these days but I QONG on anyway.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:00 am UTC

Hi.
I've had a very busy two weeks.
I'm going to have another two even busier weeks,
but they can wait for tomorrow.
I will be going to an island off the coast of Newfoundland on the 26th and staying there for the winter to explore and map it out.
I will be living off the land, cutting wood and pumping water by hand to cook with.
There will be no electricity or internet, although I will have a satellite phone for emergency use.
During the spring, summer, and fall of the next two years, we will tear down the abandoned fishing shacks and build a lodge and a bunch of cabins for hunting parties to use, and I might stay on as a guide in the summers and a resident in the winter, although by that Tim we should have internet access.
I might not make it back to say goodbye before I disappear, but know that I will return in the spring, and that I'll miss you all very much while I'm gone.

I recently had the somewhat dubious pleasure of watching Adventure Time, a tv show made for two-year-olds of below average intelligence.
Their writers seem to have stolen our ketchup time Time-Sword graphic to use in their title card.
Which reminds me: I have a lot of ketchup to do.
ggh wrote:Lifemustard, strife-flustered,
Spoiler:
Our Mighty Troubadour
Battles on bravely and
Takes all the hits.

Into our bosom he
Unhesitatingly
Flies and we gleefully
Hug him to bits.

Hmmmm
In related news.
I unexpectedly received a copy of the book jiggery pokery for my birthday.
It is a collection of double dactyl rhymes.

Hallo Yappo, Kierynfootnote, and Dr Carter!
Welcome back!

Gah, Svenman, why would you put a song there??
I don't have Tim for listening to songs!
Listens to song
Actually that's really catchy.
But I question the singer's sanity, why would he want to be hit?

I saw GnomeAnne recently, and yes, basementful seems like a good description.

I appreciate the effort you went to in making this very detailed graph for us, b, but it does not help at all.
I am even more confused now.
Is this our confusion level over Tim?
Is it our interest in bsta beginning to level out on a reversed Timline?
Is it the amount of bacon I have left in my refrigerator that has to be eaten before I leave?
I hope it's not that last one, I would not feel well for the trip out if I eat it all at once like that.

And now I'm off to ketchup on Quelouva before I start the Herculean task of reading two weeks worth of dnd chat logs.
There is generally twenty minutes worth of reading that gets written each day, so it should only take about five hours.

Footnote Woo, Kieryn is here! Hi Kieryn!
Wait For It.

Eternal Density

Hoping the Mome is back before June and the JuneBug before May.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Hi.
I will be going to an island off the coast of Newfoundland on the 26th and staying there for the winter to explore and map it out.
I will be living off the land, cutting wood and pumping water by hand to cook with.
There will be no electricity or internet, although I will have a satellite phone for emergency use.
During the spring, summer, and fall of the next two years, we will tear down the abandoned fishing shacks and build a lodge and a bunch of cabins for hunting parties to use, and I might stay on as a guide in the summers and a resident in the winter, although by that Tim we should have internet access.
I might not make it back to say goodbye before I disappear, but know that I will return in the spring, and that I'll miss you all very much while I'm gone.
Boababs, that sounds like an awesomeful adventure! Remember to keep your living spaces well lit and never dig straight down or straight up!
But never be afraid to go where GnomeAnne hasn't gone before :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:50 am UTC

BSTONG

Ask

KXA: What's this building here?
I don't remember it.
B: I don't remember it either.
I don't think I've seen it before.
Wasn't there just a hole in the ground?
KXA: Maybe it's new?
B: Doesn't look very new.

It had just gone for a stroll last time you were here. Now it's back ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Hi.

That's awesomeful! - Where is your island on this map?

https://img.purch.com/rnb/793x446/aHR0c ... FuZC5qcGc=

(From: https://www.space.com/37878-solar-eclip ... -maps.html)

Newfoundland is on the list of places I want to go, given that's the breed of our large wolpies.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:41 pm UTC

Welcome back GnomeAnne, that sounds like an awesome adventure you're about to embark on!

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

Dordshear-on-Thropsywatermolpleigh.
  "I'll look at my Object Generator logs." The others were puzzled. "Uh, what?"
  "It's not a question of *where* these dragons were being controlled from, but *when*. The temporal signature shows they're not merely pastposting, or retro-edited in, they've actually physically come here from the future."
  "So Tornater made some dragons and sent them back in Time to post to the OTT."
  "No, this time-travel is not Tornater's doing. They're here because of this," and he held up his Temporal Object Generator, now brightly glowing *75025*.
  "Your Temporal--" exclaimed Mrorl.
  "Object Generator, yes. Tornater intended to send us *virtual* dragons. Pokémolps are perfect, because they don't exist, except as part of an Augmented Reality. But Tornater wasn't counting on this."

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:26 am UTC

Last QONG of the week.

In a funny coincidence, Earth is politically reunited at the end of both of the stories I updated tonight.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:44 am UTC

Funny?
Poor Spellers of The World: Untie!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:38 pm UTC

It turns out there was a slight miscommunication (possibly due to both of us having been drinking)
I will be going to Newfoundland, not an island off the coast of Newfoundland.
Until fifteen years ago there was a village called Great Harbour Deep in the northeast, that's where we'll be building.
Wait For It.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:18 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:54 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:It turns out there was a slight miscommunication (possibly due to both of us having been drinking)
Until fifteen years ago there was a village called Great Harbour Deep in the northeast, that's where we'll be building.

Still cool. (Even if you won't be in the eclipsey part.)

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

Not sure why the Idaho/Montana border didn't get fixed.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:48 am UTC

Chapter 58

The Pope handed the whirly geegaw to ggh, and as he left the room, the look of amazement on their faces was palpable.

"Now there goes a really big tree", gasped Second Scribe.

After murmurs of agreement, the three headed back to what they started calling the Secret Moon at the Base of the Cathedral, but as they exited the dorm they noticed a growing commotion in the direction of the Grotto. Our Agatha the Awesomeful wanted to investigate, but GnomeAnne thought they should get back to work right away before something else happened. Second Scribe noted that "something else" was already happening, and it might be best that they not be surprised by it, so the three of them set out towards the Grotto, along the way discussing how First Cleric could possibly consider this sacred artifact to be food. Second Scribe and ggh tried to explain to GnomeAnne what First Cleric was like, but comprehension was not dawning. In no time they were at the Grotto, surprised by being surprised at arriving. Usually there is a gradual transition to this Holy Place, as the mists from the Great Cascade thundering down become dense and the noise of the waterfall overwhelms casual conversation. And then it struck them - there was no Great Cascade. No mist, no thundering of Holy Water... just the Grotto.

"Curious", said ggh.
Spoiler:
Second Scribe was a bit more alarmed. She started mumbling the only surviving passage from the Book of Revelation: "Gazebo Ointment Harpsichord Credenza Bungalow". Once again she regretted the molpyberry wine that had claimed her attention as the celebration of the Founding of the Cathedral. That night, she had been so close to understanding these Holy Words, but insight had faded along with her sobriety and the general merriment of the evening.

"This means something!", she exclaimed, "but I have no idea what."

"It means the sea is falling", observed GnomeAnne.

Galvanized, the three started scrambling up the cliffs towards the sea, but shoe is faster than feet, so when they reached the top, there was a myriad of people gathering around the newly forming seashore. The sea was indeed retreating. In a panic, people were gathering Holy Water in whatever vessels they could find, and carting it down the mountainside. As it was the shortage of Holy Water that had originally started this quest many yips ago, the urgency was immense. It was also starting to get dark, and as they didn't have any vessels that could carry water, they started back down so they could make it back before sunset.

Halfway down, they realized that they had plenty of Time before sunset - the sun was still high on the horizon. But it was definitely darker. In fact, the sun itself was disappearing. Second Scribe took this all in. Could this be the End of Time?

Once before this had happened; back when the sea first began to rise the sky darkened also and some people became quite loopy. Hopefully that wouldn't happen this time.

Perhaps the panic was unwarranted, since after all, the sea is big. Even if it receded many cue, there was still plenty of Holy Water to go around. This wasn't like in their old place where the water wasn't wholly water and the clerecy had to go on periodic quests for it. This was the promised land that nobody had even promised!

"The sea must know what it's doing", said GnomeAnne. "It's pretty, and big." He said it without much conviction though. Second Scribe reassured him, but didn't sound convinced either. There must be a scroll somewhere that would have enlightenment, and hopefully it would be clearer than the Book of Revelation. Agatha the Awesomeful mused that the sea was going to do whatever it wanted, and they should do the same. And what they wanted to do was to figure out this whirly thing, and something about a rock in the sky. So, as the sky darkened, they made their way back to the Scroll Sanctuary of the Great Cathedral. It was brighter and more efficient than the grotto from the Old Place, but Second Scribe really missed the nooks in the walls and the ambiance of the flickering candlelight where she used to study the scrolls before the sea ended that place.

Before they got there however, the sky turned dark. Wavy ghost shadows flitted to and fro, and shortly afterward the real shadows vanished. A Great Eyeball looked down upon them where the sun once was.

Whatever it was, this was certainly a Most Holy Moment in Time, was worthy of the Most Holy Reverence!

Stunned, everybody stopped whatever it was they were doing, and knelt down in awe. Vats of Holy Water were abandoned in place; where they spilled nobody tried to save them, such was the power of this vision. Thoughts were racing, but there was not a sound to be heard. Could this be the herald of a new BlitzGirl? Is the clerecy being remiss in its prayers? Has the Holy Arrow of Armageddon awoken? Has the Great Lord Randall stopped in to check on his flock? It was awesomely compelling in any case; the pupil was the deep black of unearthly velvet, as if it were a hole in the fabric of Time itself. The iris that surrounded it was of the purest white, fading out into the dark sky as if it were painted on the fabric of space itself. The silence was palpable, as the waterfall that had provided a constant backdrop was no longer there, and so in awe was the crowd that not a move was made, and not a word was uttered. It was dead quiet, as the eye of the One True Author gazed down upon creation. Even First Cleric, who had somehow managed to end up right nearby, restrained his urges to utter something banal.

By and by, as their own eyes got used to the darkness, it seemed there was motion in the pupil! Something was spinning! And with that, the eyeball glowed with a light so bright that everyone had to look away, and it was over.

"Did you see that?", asked ggh.

"The Eyeball of the Great Lord Randall, appearing in the middle of a dark sky at midday? You think I'd miss that?", asked Second Scribe, still in awe of what had just transpired.

"No, the spinning thing", replied ggh. "The wheel".

And then she remembered seeing that thing that she otherwise would not have known she saw. Just as the sky brightened, in the instant before it was so bright she had to look away, there was a shadow in the sky - the shadow of a bicycle, whose wheel was in the pupil of the eye in the sky. Chills went down her spine as she realized what it meant, while at the same time she had no idea at all what it meant. But it was clear that the answer lay in the Secret Moon at the Base of the Cathedral.

Off the rushed, the three of them, but when they got there, ggh discovered that the whirly geegaw was no longer to be found.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 2585) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:40 am UTC

Hi there.
I just heard a little verse, which seems appropiate in this thread:

There was a young man
From Cork who got limericks
And haikus confused.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:40 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Chapter 58

Seaishly treeish, ucim!

Hi mikrit! That's a treeish, riverish poem!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:26 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
ucim wrote:
Chapter 58

Seaishly treeish, ucim!

Hi mikrit! That's a treeish, riverish poem!

You've said what I wanted to, better than I could have.

Some Ways to Time

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Vacuum Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:35 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:It turns out there was a slight miscommunication (possibly due to both of us having been drinking)
Great Harbour Deep is a wingish name! I hope you find out what the sea is doing.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

addams

Postby addams » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:45 pm UTC

ED!!
It has been a long Time sense I have read you.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

New BSTA ONG:
Investigate

KXA: Let's take a closer look.

You move towards the building.
He left his bike. You didn't.

Uh-oh. Will the bike still be there when they return?
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

addams

Postby addams » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 pm UTC

I don't know.
I don't understand the Game.

Time...You came to my mind.
Because, I sometimes listen to old podcasts.

I know about The Bay Model.
I am old enough to remember it as a working model.

The Bay Model is now a lovely educational center.
http://www.oursausalito.com/fun-sausali ... model.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Army ... _Bay_Model

There is another model OutSide!
I, just, learned about it!

It is in SBN's backyard.
SBN? Have you ever?
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/48445
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississip ... asin_Model

I wonder: Has it withstood the ravages of Time and Sea?
SBN; You could fill your car with Bears and look, for fun.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:14 am UTC

@ch58:
sea going back in this situation?
I would have expected the opposite.
which means that everything is ok.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 am UTC

addams wrote:There is another model OutSide!

It is in SBN's backyard.
SBN? Have you ever?

That's not my backyard. With the wolpies, it would probably take us two days to drive there.

I don't think there is one here, though maybe there should be, we have 2 rivers (one flows North) and the ocean, and "the inter-coastal" Which can't quite decide if it is river or ocean.

Some Ways to Time

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:53 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1718

Postby mscha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 pm UTC

RONGATIRA...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:WE'VE SECRETLY REPLACED TAIXZO'S CUPCAKE WITH A REDUNDAKITTY. LET'S SEE IF XE NOTICES...

-- posted by randompixbot

Link

1190: "Time": MY CUPCAKE IS PROBLEMATIC

Postby Link » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:32 pm UTC

Image Hello everymolpy!

Looks like there's something about this Time of the yip that makes in-popping popular, because *pop*, here I am again! Unfortunately I've been thoroughly basemented for many mips now; ironically I just don't have the Time for Time. :( I mean, I think about you xuys a lot, but whenever I feel like getting back into the OTT, I realise how much ketchup there is waiting for me, and I sort of panic and put it off.

A Zanclean amount of stuff has happened over the past mips, ranging from awesomeful (I graduated and started a PhD!) to thoroughly ch*rping m*stard (concerning the most unmolpish component of semencoffeecancerstarsandbaconbabiesonice). Much like the Cueganites, I just have to hold on tight and see where the flood takes me.

Just now, it took me back here. Weirdly, it wasn't the fact that I see the OTC as my MTA background all the Time, or even my continued play of Q04B, that took me back: I'm Waiting for a parcel that's being handled by Poczta Polska, and that reminded me of balthasar_s and suddenly made me feel really nostalgic.

I'm really glad to see addams is still with us! You gave us all a big scare earlier in the yip!

addams

Postby addams » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:38 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
addams wrote:There is another model OutSide!

It is in SBN's backyard.
SBN? Have you ever?

That's not my backyard. With the wolpies, it would probably take us two days to drive there.

I don't think there is one here, though maybe there should be, we have 2 rivers (one flows North) and the ocean, and "the inter-coastal" Which can't quite decide if it is river or ocean.
Oh... NeverMind.
I heard, Jackson, and thought of you.

Link wrote:I'm really glad to see addams is still with us! You gave us all a big scare earlier in the yip!
Thank You, Link.

Yep.
It was a rough ride.
But; Yey! I'm OK!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mrob27

1190: Time: WHO HAS TWO THUMBS AND DOESN'T GIVE A CH**RP? LAPETITE! HOW YA DOIN'?

Postby mrob27 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:16 pm UTC

Glad to see you, @Link. That most unmolpish component of semencoffeecancerbaconbabiesonice has affected so many of us…

GnomeAnne wrote:Their writers seem to have stolen our ketchup time Time-Sword graphic to use in their title card.

Yeah, but that graphic was based on my

:twisted:
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Eternal Density

Follow the third commandment

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am UTC

Todip's RELATEDness: lately I've been enjoying a sONG entitled Run the Race (by Holly Starr). It's pretty molpish.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "It's Daylight Savings Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 pm UTC

Is something wrong with the forum? Has there been zanclean mustardtime? No one has posted since last nip, over 12 longpix ago. That's more than half a dip!
MOLPY UP OTTERS

addams

Postby addams » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:11 am UTC

OK! ED;
SomeTimes it takes Time for me to do the reading.
ucim wrote:
Chapter 58

The Pope handed the whirly geegaw to ggh, and as he left the room, the look of amazement on their faces was palpable.

"Now there goes a really big tree", gasped Second Scribe.

After murmurs of agreement, the three headed back to what they started calling the Secret Moon at the Base of the Cathedral, but as they exited the dorm they noticed a growing commotion in the direction of the Grotto. Our Agatha the Awesomeful wanted to investigate, but GnomeAnne thought they should get back to work right away before something else happened. Second Scribe noted that "something else" was already happening, and it might be best that they not be surprised by it, so the three of them set out towards the Grotto, along the way discussing how First Cleric could possibly consider this sacred artifact to be food. Second Scribe and ggh tried to explain to GnomeAnne what First Cleric was like, but comprehension was not dawning. In no time they were at the Grotto, surprised by being surprised at arriving. Usually there is a gradual transition to this Holy Place, as the mists from the Great Cascade thundering down become dense and the noise of the waterfall overwhelms casual conversation. And then it struck them - there was no Great Cascade. No mist, no thundering of Holy Water... just the Grotto.

"Curious", said ggh.
Spoiler:
Second Scribe was a bit more alarmed. She started mumbling the only surviving passage from the Book of Revelation: "Gazebo Ointment Harpsichord Credenza Bungalow". Once again she regretted the molpyberry wine that had claimed her attention as the celebration of the Founding of the Cathedral. That night, she had been so close to understanding these Holy Words, but insight had faded along with her sobriety and the general merriment of the evening.

"This means something!", she exclaimed, "but I have no idea what."

"It means the sea is falling", observed GnomeAnne.

Galvanized, the three started scrambling up the cliffs towards the sea, but shoe is faster than feet, so when they reached the top, there was a myriad of people gathering around the newly forming seashore. The sea was indeed retreating. In a panic, people were gathering Holy Water in whatever vessels they could find, and carting it down the mountainside. As it was the shortage of Holy Water that had originally started this quest many yips ago, the urgency was immense. It was also starting to get dark, and as they didn't have any vessels that could carry water, they started back down so they could make it back before sunset.

Halfway down, they realized that they had plenty of Time before sunset - the sun was still high on the horizon. But it was definitely darker. In fact, the sun itself was disappearing. Second Scribe took this all in. Could this be the End of Time?

Once before this had happened; back when the sea first began to rise the sky darkened also and some people became quite loopy. Hopefully that wouldn't happen this time.

Perhaps the panic was unwarranted, since after all, the sea is big. Even if it receded many cue, there was still plenty of Holy Water to go around. This wasn't like in their old place where the water wasn't wholly water and the clerecy had to go on periodic quests for it. This was the promised land that nobody had even promised!

"The sea must know what it's doing", said GnomeAnne. "It's pretty, and big." He said it without much conviction though. Second Scribe reassured him, but didn't sound convinced either. There must be a scroll somewhere that would have enlightenment, and hopefully it would be clearer than the Book of Revelation. Agatha the Awesomeful mused that the sea was going to do whatever it wanted, and they should do the same. And what they wanted to do was to figure out this whirly thing, and something about a rock in the sky. So, as the sky darkened, they made their way back to the Scroll Sanctuary of the Great Cathedral. It was brighter and more efficient than the grotto from the Old Place, but Second Scribe really missed the nooks in the walls and the ambiance of the flickering candlelight where she used to study the scrolls before the sea ended that place.

Before they got there however, the sky turned dark. Wavy ghost shadows flitted to and fro, and shortly afterward the real shadows vanished. A Great Eyeball looked down upon them where the sun once was.

Whatever it was, this was certainly a Most Holy Moment in Time, was worthy of the Most Holy Reverence!

Stunned, everybody stopped whatever it was they were doing, and knelt down in awe. Vats of Holy Water were abandoned in place; where they spilled nobody tried to save them, such was the power of this vision. Thoughts were racing, but there was not a sound to be heard. Could this be the herald of a new BlitzGirl? Is the clerecy being remiss in its prayers? Has the Holy Arrow of Armageddon awoken? Has the Great Lord Randall stopped in to check on his flock? It was awesomely compelling in any case; the pupil was the deep black of unearthly velvet, as if it were a hole in the fabric of Time itself. The iris that surrounded it was of the purest white, fading out into the dark sky as if it were painted on the fabric of space itself. The silence was palpable, as the waterfall that had provided a constant backdrop was no longer there, and so in awe was the crowd that not a move was made, and not a word was uttered. It was dead quiet, as the eye of the One True Author gazed down upon creation. Even First Cleric, who had somehow managed to end up right nearby, restrained his urges to utter something banal.

By and by, as their own eyes got used to the darkness, it seemed there was motion in the pupil! Something was spinning! And with that, the eyeball glowed with a light so bright that everyone had to look away, and it was over.

"Did you see that?", asked ggh.

"The Eyeball of the Great Lord Randall, appearing in the middle of a dark sky at midday? You think I'd miss that?", asked Second Scribe, still in awe of what had just transpired.

"No, the spinning thing", replied ggh. "The wheel".

And then she remembered seeing that thing that she otherwise would not have known she saw. Just as the sky brightened, in the instant before it was so bright she had to look away, there was a shadow in the sky - the shadow of a bicycle, whose wheel was in the pupil of the eye in the sky. Chills went down her spine as she realized what it meant, while at the same time she had no idea at all what it meant. But it was clear that the answer lay in the Secret Moon at the Base of the Cathedral.

Off the rushed, the three of them, but when they got there, ggh discovered that the whirly geegaw was no longer to be found.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 2585) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)
Another way to see a special day.
Thank You, Jose.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SBN
Saved

Re: 1190: "It's Daylight Savings Time"

Postby SBN » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:29 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Is something wrong with the forum? Has there been zanclean mustardtime? No one has posted since last nip, over 12 longpix ago. That's more than half a dip!
MOLPY UP OTTERS

It was just one of those dips. Molpied up late, discovered everyone was celebrating "drive like an idiot day," long day at work, and then stuff to do afterwards. And after all that, I don't actually have anything to say.

So I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ELyQQp_yU

Some Ways to Time

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:29 am UTC

I was rummaging around in my computer files, and I found this. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's on the computer, so it must have happened. But it involves the Pope, so it must not have happened. A Holy Molpy Contradiction!

RSIR
Spoiler:
Jose_and_JuneBug_from_IMG_9055.JPG
Top Secret - for further detai[a3,4-a87r..
Jose

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:25 am UTC

This seems like it might be of interest to some of you: https://itch.io/jam/xkcdgamejam.

It's a contest to make a game based on an xkcd strip of your choosing in a weekend. I always thought about doing a simple game where you get to walk around the world of Time but I never really found the... well you know the rest. Anyway, maybe one of you can do Time justice in the interactive medium.

Also I've played a game Called Rain World. Highly Recommend. It's got flooding, mystery, good sci-fi, and molpies. It's a very RELATED game.

I've been busy. Life is lively and full of things. I was kinda frustrated about something before I came here and I read the most recent page and now I'm calm and happy again. Thanks. I know I don't really participate here anymore, but know this place did effect (affect? offect.) me permanently. I'm better person from my time here, and it's nice to check in and still see people.

Spoiler:
rain world.png
There aren't stick people but there are sticks!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 am UTC

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:54 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:11 pm UTC

New BSTA:

B: Looks old. And abandoned.
But I've never seen it here before.
How can it be new and abandoned?
KXA: Maybe someone built a preabandoned building?
B: That doesn't make sense.
KXA: There is one thing to do if you want it to make more sense.
B: It's what?
KXA: You know it.

...wait for it?
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:10 pm UTC

KXA: Maybe someone built a preabandoned building?
B: That doesn't make sense.
Altos de Chavon is exactly this. It's built as artificial ruins. Maybe they are bicycling in the Dominican Republic?

Jose

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”