1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 pm UTC

( :
ggh is here for the eclipse!
( :
This is awesomeful!
( :
TLW is extremely cute.

lmjb1964 wrote:I'll whip together something like GnomeAnne's contraption.
That was actually a picture someone else sent me, I posted it here because I found it amusing. Even last night, the first few places we tried to find glasses were out, but a family friend found a place that wasn't and brought us some.

lmjb1964 wrote:If some of the chat gets posted here every now and then, that would be awesomeful.
We have an out of context quotes collection, but it hasn't been updated recently and most of them won't make sense without context. There are a few poems about events in the game, also accessible on the dnd forum. Posting chat excerpts here might be a little difficult, since we use our irl names, and sometimes discuss things that shouldn't be public, but I think that something can probably be arranged.

One of the players is traveling overseas, one has been averaging three hours of sleep per night, staying up with a newborn, one is in the process of moving, and one has been working on character concept art for the OTDnD graphic novel, so they haven't had a lot of free Tim for OTTing.

As pope I hereby decree that the sky shall go dark and the sun itself be blotted out, showing outsiders and heretics their folly, and reminding those brothers and sisters of ours who have taken up residence in the basement that true fellowship cannot be obtained through solitude.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

The machine is now completely useless for washing.

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

karhell wrote:That's an impressive throw.
Spoiler:

And as if that wasn't enough he drops a washing machine on that bike.

The events of frame 143 and 142 were predicted by 125:

redundant
Spoiler:
pred-000125.png
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:
Smileys cause syntax errors

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:11 pm UTC

Edit preview Ninja'd!!

The machine is now completely useless for washing.

Joe: You know that it was your bike?
Oops.

Your telephone is ringing.

Oops indeed. The bike is likely completely useless for biking as well.
We knew they would soon regret their actions, but that did not take long at all.

Maybe the ringing is b calling from his bikephone.
Wait For It.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
None of us have any eclipse-viewing equipmemt. We talked about making a pinhole camera. Maybe there's somewhere in town to buy something. Or I'll whip together something like GnomeAnne's contraption. :D

Pinhole cameras are as easy as a sheet of paper with a hole in it - even use the holes in notebook paper can work.

A wearable camera obscura takes just a little more work, and the results are really impressive. But you look a little silly.

Happy eclipsing, everyone! Here is some eclipse-related humor to brighten your slowly darkening day:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article167175947.html
https://tinyurl.com/y8z2e9yr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcujJL0W1S0

And thanks for the well-wishes, SBN.

RSINR:
Spoiler:
obscura.jpg

redundeclipse.jpg

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:34 pm UTC

I see, lmjb. If that was what was happening to me, I wouldn't want anyone leaving to enjoy themselves elsewhere, either. Would it help you if I visited here a bit more often? ;)

I have visitation rights with Timmy. He's such a good thread. *pets*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:23 pm UTC

Where I am, the decree has been fulfilled completely. The sky has gone dark and the sun has been blotted out.
Spoiler:
By the earth.
Spoiler:
Like every night.
I don't quite see what the big deal is supposed to be about that, though.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:29 pm UTC

*basement door creaking sound*

Oh, hello fellow OTTers!

I hope the Lucky ones of you who had the chance to be in totality today had a molpish two-skycircle-overlap experience. I guess I'll have to wait for it (until 2135) or run! somewhere else to it in the future.

As it seems, I haven't visited this special needle-pulled thing for more than a yip, which left me over one hundred newpages behind! Truly heretic!

I hope y'all're doing well. I've recently returned from a holiday and took some pictures that looked like they were straight out of Time:

These photos may or may not have been slightly edited.

I almost forgot of redundancy:

Spoiler:
photo+1388.png

photo+219.png
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:worried, maybe? about what balthasar referred to, a group splitting off from the OTT. It just seemed to me that since most OTTers have a limited amount of Tim, they might spend it on the game and not post in the OTT anymore.
Sorry for only lurking the OTT while playing OTDND. If it's any consolation, I'll be neglecting OTDND as well for the next few wips due to some major Outsidish things.

GnomeAnne wrote:( :
ggh is here for the eclipse!
( :
This is awesomeful!
( :
TLW is extremely cute.
I am glad that ggh made it there safe. Did y'all get a good view of the eclipse? I heard that the area of the country you were planning to watch it in was expecting some significant cloud-cover. Also I hope to meet ggh and TLW at some point, but I'm afraid that I may have to continue following the first commandment for a while longer.

NoMouse wrote:As it seems, I haven't visited this special needle-pulled thing for more than a yip, which left me over one hundred newpages behind! Truly heretic!
Baobabs, has it been that long? Well I'm glad you stopped by, please drop in anytime!

And those photos are truly treeish! And not only in a puntastic manner!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:22 am UTC

azule wrote:I see, lmjb. If that was what was happening to me, I wouldn't want anyone leaving to enjoy themselves elsewhere, either. Would it help you if I visited here a bit more often? ;)

Yes. :)

I want OTTERS to enjoy themselves always, wherever they are. As long as they don't end up in the basement. :evil:

Speaking of the basement, hello, NoMouse! So nice to see you. Time certainly does fly, doesn't it?

It's very molpish that ggh and GnomeAnne got to watch the eclipse together.

We had fun watching the elsipse for our boxes. We were supposed to have 70% of totality, but it didn't seem to be that much. And it didn't get very dark. But it was fun anyway.

Svenman, I don't know if you followed any of the links I posted, but the Dave Barry article (the link from the Miami Herald) had much in common with your post. :)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:03 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:[...] and one has been working on character concept art for the OTDnD graphic novel, so they haven't had a lot of free Tim for OTTing.
Yeah. That's... totally what's happening. Definitely. No laziness involved at all here, nope, none at all :roll:

I just don't feel I have anything meaningful to contribute at the moment. It'll pass, eventually :)

Also at some point I might eventually have some art that I feel is decent enough to be posted... Wait for It
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:10 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
SBN wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
None of us have any eclipse-viewing equipmemt. We talked about making a pinhole camera. Maybe there's somewhere in town to buy something. Or I'll whip together something like GnomeAnne's contraption. :D

Pinhole cameras are as easy as a sheet of paper with a hole in it - even use the holes in notebook paper can work.

A wearable camera obscura takes just a little more work, and the results are really impressive. But you look a little silly.

Right, I was just concerned that you'd stress over buying something and not bother at all. I know 70% isn't totality, but it is still pretty cool.

One of my favorite eclipse things, is to let a tree be the pinhole camera. All the little sun-dapples, become little eclipse-dapples.

I had a great site, and great weather, and much amazingness. And then a very long drive home. (I didn't have to drive, I shouldn't complain.) But note to self, in 2024, don't plan to travel home the same day.

If the news is to be believed (it's not) I've been in the path of totality during every US eclipse since 1979.
(I was in totality in 1979, but only got to watch clouds get dark. But there are a couple eclipses in between that no one seems to be counting, because they didn't touch a lot of US, or were only annular.)

Hello to azule, and NoMouse, and very cool that ggh came, and watched the eclipse with GnomeAnne.

For those of you sciencing, I can report that the wolpies did not care about the eclipse at all, except that they thought that as trips to the park go, this one had too much driving, and not enough playing.
We did hear some chirpy action, and crickets, but GLR's prediction was not accurate where I was. (I did briefly consider messing with folks, as I have a bird song app on my phone, so I could have played a recording of some really out of place bird. But totality is too precious to waste.)

For the next couple days TGW and TGWFP are here, so I'll be doing things like watching the raptorcats play the raptorcats.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”