1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:49 am UTC

Had this DragonDashery request a few days ago, finally found some time tonight to fill it. For intheshax:

No big version since I had a fairly small image to work with and I'm not sure how he wants it cropped - up to him

ETA: Yay, my humble dragondashery is at the top of the page. Decree: hats :D

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:59 am UTC

So I've already gone and started brewing ideas for songifying the new BlitzPoem! I'm thinking a melancholic kinda gothic rock style would suit this one. Anyways, time to coma now. I'll hopefully manage to finish the first songified-poem-present-present on the morrow! Yay! I'm really enjoying songifying your poems, BlitzGirl. The thing is I'm really not a very good lyricist (or at least it doesn't come easily for me) but I really love writing songs, not just instrumental music, so whenever I see a good original poem which inspires me, would work well as a song, and the author is happy for me to do so, I just can't help myself :mrgreen:. So thanks for the inspiration/excuses to write songs ;). Plus, collaborative OTTing is always awesomeful!

Molpy down!
Spoiler:

ETA for pope:
Spoiler:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:03 am UTC

Indeed it is! And I'm terrible at music but good at words, so it all works out. :mrgreen: Can't wait to see the songified results!

*brings a hat for pagepope*
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:14 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Indeed it is! And I'm terrible at music but good at words, so it all works out. :mrgreen: Can't wait to see the songified results!

*brings a hat for pagepope*
Spoiler:

Jolly good! We'll have a whole album of original TimeSongs at this rate :mrgreen:

Hehe, I was deliberating whether I should bring an otter hat, or an otter IN a hat. Went for the latter, but you've gone for the other one anyway so it's all good :P

Ok actual molpy down now.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 am UTC

Othercomic time, and they're wearing hats!
He/Him/His Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:18 am UTC

bmonk wrote:Blitzposted 821-835/1318-19

Ray Kremer wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Your first statement is unquestionably true. However, the second would not be recognized by most mathematicians. There is a sub-field (applied math) for which this is true, but for most of us, math makes sense entirely on its own. I was surprised when told (several years later) that someone found a use for my thesis results.

Spoiler:
Early math and some current math was inspired by physical phenomena, but we have abstracted that away entirely. A theorem in math is (known to be) true if it can be proved from the axioms chosen at the beginning. QED. End of story. Otherwise it may be false, unknown, or even undeterminable (deep stuff there).

Physics, on the other hand, depends on verifiable and repeatable observations of the real world. A theory in physics is "accepted" if it conforms with observation and it leads to predictions of the real world that turn out to be verified in the observations. (Note that I didn't say "turns out to be true". It is more subtle than that.) Physical theories are never perfect. Newton's law of gravity was true as far as it was possible to make observations/measurements at that time. But certain things could not be predicted in Newton's laws, which led to a long search (and much failure) and eventually Einstein's relativity theory - a refinement of Newton. It lets us make more and better predictions that conform to the observable results of experiment.

Mathematics has theorems. Physics has theories. Not the same.
Mathematical theorems are true, false, unknown, or indeterminate. Physics has theories that conform to observation or they are either rejected or refined.

On the other hand, physics gives mathematicians something to abstract over and mathematics gives physicists tools to aid their observations (especially their measurements).

No disagreement there. I was merely trying to be brief before. In the face of a "what the hell is it all for, anyway?" type of comment it's quickest to just say that a lot of the more familiar types of math have direct applications in a lot of the more familiar sciences, and the more obscure math stuff has some direct applications in some of the more obscure fields of science, and the rest is math for its own sake.

Also, http://xkcd.com/435/
You could draw an arrow going the other direction and label it "bigger picture view". As in, biology is applied chemistry, yes, but it focuses on larger objects and mechanisms than chemists concern themselves with, oftentimes to the point where the inherent chemistry falls into the details that aren't important right now.

mscha wrote:I'm afraid* that won't work. Prime numbers aren't invented, they exist.
Say, we're having an OTT reunion in a few years. Valarya will bring cupcakes, of course. A baker's dozen, 13. She will only be able to distribute those fairly (without cutting them up) if there are either 13 people present, or if she's the only one there.
That's a prime number, no matter how you define multiplication.

That was kind of part of my point, at least insofar as jovialbard's meandering rant goes. Prime numbers are only significant in manufactured situations. In most cases cutting is allowed or fair distribution isn't a concern. Prime numbers are only a thing if you're limiting yourself to integers, and there aren't that many situations outside the classroom where that's actually the case. Don't get me wrong, they're still cool, but it's not one of those things that pops out of real world observational science the way that, say, calculus or probability math does.

I was able to use this idea of the hierarchy of sciences recently—someone claimed that everything was reducible to science, so I challenged him to define justice in scientific terms. After all, “Science” refers to the “hard” sciences (physics, chemistry, often biology) plus perhaps the “soft” sciences of psychology and sociology and economics and such—but justice is off somewhere in ethics or moral theology...

On the other hand, if people are going to distinguish between things that occur in nature and things that are artificial (such as cryptography and other “cultural” concepts—I suppose “artificial” is fitting in that they are made by human art, not by natural evolution or found in systems apart from human intervention—kind of how we used to distinguish organic chemistry <from life> and other <non-life> chemistry, but now the dividing line is whether it has carbon or not) we have to say at the end of the day that humans are part of the natural system too—and so cryptography is in a sense natural after all.

{P1319}
Somewhere amongst all that, Charlie says
"Prime numbers are only significant in manufactured situations."
Now it's not clear what manufactured situations are, but prime numbers are significant in the hibernation times of different families of locust - the Joneses sleep for 11 years, the Smiths for 17, etc. Aren't there also prime numbers behind plant spirals, like the arrangement of sunflower seeds?
And, justice is not a thing, so of course it can't be described scientifically. It's fiction.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Eternal Density

Still sick and blindposting

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:27 am UTC

In the comments to a blog post I was reading I found the phrase "I blitzed the first 5 episodes" which made me think of you guys. I think I'll need to do some blitzing of my own given how far behind I've fallen.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:28 am UTC

schwartzbewithyou wrote:Image

I (actually) made this cake last night and thought I would take a picture before covering it in rainbow sprinkles to give the more artisticly inclined folks out there a cake template. Frost away OTTers!

{P1323}
Looks like the cat vomited all over your cake.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 am UTC

It doesn't look like Aluisio is online, but I found the link: http://time.aasg.name/timeventure/describe.html.

I just did one, and did it wrong again. :oops: When you list the items, you're supposed to list one per line, and I forgot. Sorry, Aluisio! I'll do it right the next time. Hopefully. :)

ChronosDragon, I didn't know if you would have hatting abilities while you're traveling. Did you see the hat request on the page before, from b2bomberkrh? Xey asked for a hat from someone a long time ago. :( If I had millinery skills, I'd give it a try, but I'm not too good at it.

Can't wait to hear the yappo-BlitzGirl hits!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

HES

Postby HES » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 am UTC

For pope:

Less wide version, for those not blessed with 3840x1080 resolution:

Spoiler:

And thanks to Blitzgirl for the hatted otters
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:42 am UTC

HES, that OTTercomic makes me so happy. Image

Oh, and I know that cake! It needs something...aha!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Keywords: BGUM cake hatcake redundacake hat frosting blank fix
HatCake.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:50 am UTC

HES wrote:Othercomic time, and they're wearing hats!

They are indeed! It's all related! And awesomeful OTThercomic.

Exodies, why on earth would make that comment about Schwartbewithyou's cake? Maybe it's meant to be a joke, but if I had posted a cake that I made and someone said that, I'd be really hurt. It looks delicious, and I think it's a cool idea that Schwartbewithyou had. I know that there's been at least one OTTer that used it. (BlitzGirl, I think, and it looks like she's done it again.)

I'm actually in the present and can follow a papal decree:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
There are already four cats here, I figure that's sufficient for redundakitties.
cathats.jpeg

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:59 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
cellocgw wrote:OK, then what do you do when you're having a more or less "normal" chat and someone asks "what do you do?" No way out.

I change the pattern of lights.

I make sounds and then arrange the sounds into patterns hoping people enjoy the patterns of sounds.

I can obfuscate that even more: "You create differences in the local air pressure. These patterns are targeted to increase serotonin levels in the people in the affected area"
Hmm, that sounds like an evil superweapon.
Now that I think of it, mine is a bit simplistic to:
"I change the duty cycle of polarizing crystals. This pattern of polarization duty cycles enables me to cause the hammering down of needles. With the result of that I can change electrical current in a wire which allows me to tell others to send stuff to others who increase the molecular vibration of the stuff."
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:04 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:ChronosDragon, I didn't know if you would have hatting abilities while you're traveling. Did you see the hat request on the page before, from b2bomberkrh? Xey asked for a hat from someone a long time ago. :( If I had millinery skills, I'd give it a try, but I'm not too good at it.

Ah - yeah, just checked to make sure. Yup, I hatted xem! Back on newpage 1293 actually. I guess xey never applied it :(

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:ChronosDragon, I didn't know if you would have hatting abilities while you're traveling. Did you see the hat request on the page before, from b2bomberkrh? Xey asked for a hat from someone a long time ago. :( If I had millinery skills, I'd give it a try, but I'm not too good at it.

Ah - yeah, just checked to make sure. Yup, I hatted xem! Back on newpage 1293 actually. I guess xey never applied it :(

Oh, you did! And what a cute hat! Maybe xey didn't see it.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 am UTC

Perhaps Exodies just wants some cake of his own - he's 50 newpages back, must be pretty hungry.

*brings hats for pope*
Spoiler:
(@Eternal Density)
Redundant:
Spoiler:
Keywords: BGUM Exodies cake hatcake redundacake hat frosting blank fix
HatCakeForExodies.png
HatCakeForExodies.png (39.91 KiB) Viewed 15934 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:14 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:More interframe happenings. We seldom saw them sleep, but who knows. Just speculating here.
There is even a wee white molpy.
Spoiler:
OverNite.png

{P1324}
I know that inn - The Snake With One Blotch - it's in Derbyshire.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:16 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote: :D :oops: :D :oops: :D :oops: :D :oops:

I think that means you liked it. Have a good day/week/life.

@charlie_grumbles Happy 1000!
Spoiler:
cake.jpg
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:26 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Perhaps Exodies just wants some cake of his own - he's 50 newpages back, must be pretty hungry.

BlitzGirl, you always know just what to say and do. :)

OK, molpy hats for the pope:

And for a pastpope decree, my "molpy down" image is my little Dixie molpying down:

And with that, adios (just to coma! Really!) and good night, Mrs. MobTeeseBoose, wherever you are...

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Meow.
sweet_dixie2.jpg
sweet_dixie2.jpg (52.94 KiB) Viewed 15908 times
animal_hats.jpeg

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 am UTC

I've been listening to "We Love the Thread of Time" on a daily basis now. It simultaneously makes me incredibly happy and sort of nostalgic and very sad.

Exodies

Re: Time, the OTTiverse and Everything

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Ace wrote:
HES wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Now presenting: the xkcd 1190 Thread Members Map. Go, click on your location, click the marker, enter your info and upload! (Just look at it for now, the upload doesn't seem to be working yet; check my signature for updates.) Lurkers are welcome, just fill in a random username.

Done. I went with being creepily specific, so if I walk across the room it will become out of date.
(at least, it said it worked)

I didn't want to give my actual street location, because paranoia, so I dropped my tag as close to the Mall's Balls as I could, though I probably missed by a bit. It's in the same street at least. (Yes, that link is safe for work.)

Aren't you more likely to be murdered by someone you know than a stranger? I fear your paranoia is misplaced. Your neighbours already know where you live.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:10 am UTC

ETCut everything, having been ninja'd weeks ago.
Last edited by Exodies on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:11 am UTC

I am back, but I am not with you, yet.

This makes this a blindpost, but I strongly believe that the post contains some kind of originality. If you feel like replying and want me to read your reply soon, please consider a PM - I am more than 100 newpages in the past. I assume a larger-than-usual bunch of easy readable contributions (Time has ended, after all), but catching up will take a while.

As you might remember I spent two weeks on a small island in the Mediterrean Sea. Since my flux capacitor is still in maintenance I had to stick with ~ 11000 B.T., so in relation to the OTC even the following tidbits can be considered a bit... outdated. The Mediterrean Sea seems to be still in place. The Balearean Islands are still islands and their number did not decrease. Yet. We learned not to trust the Dutch, didn't we. It is salty and even my little one did not need any reminders not to drink it.

The island's flora is dominated by pines (pinus pinaster) and one or two kind of cypresses. After a few days you'll find large pine needles just everywhere in your clothes. The residents keep a large portfolio of sukkulent plants in their garden (July and August come to an average of one rainy day; the rest is sunshine). No baobabs, yet. So, nothing special.

The local molpy population is, however, noteworthy.

Catmolpies - quite a lot. They are domestic cats gone feral; some years ago they were hunted, today local organisations catch them and get them vaccinated and spayed (and, for not doing the mess twice on the same moply, clip a small hole in an ear). Most of the catmolpies look very hungry.

Time for pictures? Here's a &%$#* noisemolpy. Don't laugh! They sit in the pines and with the first sunlight falling in the trees the acoustic level raises from "restorative morning peace" to "total tinnitus concealment". Sitting on a balcony between trees means that you cannot keep up a conversation in common audibility. They don't chirp, they snare continuously, for several minutes, and they don't need large breaks. I'd have expected a healthy birdmolp population feeding on them, but birds need fresh water which is rare, and the residents do not tend to support birds (their excrements pollute the rain water which is collected in large cisterns).

The noisemolpies are rather shy, so I failed to hold a ruler beneath this one. It's more than two inches.

The next one is as popular as the noisemoply. The little green lizards are so common that they are the inofficial heraldic animal of the island. Lizmolpies are everywhere (most of them with a tail, however some paid tribute to the catmoply population... catmolpies are stupid, eating lizmolpies make them puke, but they. Just. Don't. Learn.). If you want to take a picture or two, go outside in the noon sun, dribble a bit of water on the ground, and wait for it. Don't forget your hat, the Mediterrean sun does not grant quarter.

The last land bound looks even more cute. The Geckomolps, too, lose their tail as the last line of defense (by decoy), even more easily than the greenish lizmolpies. So if you want to take picture, be careful and never ever touch them with anything. I learned that lesson years ago (sigh, sorry...). If you move slowly you can close in to macro distance (I used a pocket camera). Since they can climb up walls and ceilings they don't have too many catmolpy issues. Lucky them.

With the Mediterrean Sea still present one may consider taking baths. For people coming from somewhere without lakes or seas this is very funny (just take care of your kids, sand-hidden rocks in breakwater can be killers) please keep your distance from this - very beautiful - little creatures. Their sting vary, depending on species, age and impact. The Balearean Islands are safe from the jellyfishes carrying lethal danger for humans, but touching the stingmolpy pictured here would give you the typical 'tissue destroyed pain'. The pain and swelling lasts for several long hours, the itching and redness, if untreated, can last for months. Keep vinegar and a cortisone ointment in your backpack, to avoid this.

And finally a frament of the sky ~11000 B.T. Lying on the rooftop terrace and falling asleep under a very clear sky is just... cool. Felt like holidays.
But it is good to be back, too. The OTT feels like "home". Strange.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
starfield_11000BT.jpg
stingmolpy.jpg
geckomolp.jpg
lizmolpy.jpg
noisemolpy.jpg
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:31 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:<stuff>

There aren't not enough footnotes to describe this.

Oh, and for the pope:
Spoiler:
And more! The Hatted Society:
Their lack of creativity is, however, somewhat disturbing. I need another meme.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:31 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
intheshax wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
intheshax wrote:When she called me at work a week ago, I answered the phone with "T*** e**ed." And she replied with "Aww! Well wait and tell me about it tonight. I want to hear all about it." And she really did. Hear about it, I mean. I told her it felt so sudden, like trying to climb the last step that isn't really there. We agreed that it was because we couldn't see it coming, because we didn't know how long it all was supposed to last. In a book we would have known we were nearing the last page. In a movie we would have heard the tender wrapping-things-up music (or just looked at the clock) and known the e** was near. I missed the top of the stairs because I was climbing blindfolded. I had no idea how high the staircase went, and I had been climbing so confidently for so long that I had entirely forgotten my initial caution and the inevitability that they would eventually run out.

This reminds me of a bit in Gödel, Escher, Bach where Achilles and the Tortoise are discussing how to solve this very issue in a book - that you know the end is coming, because you can feel the book getting thinner, so it doesn't surprise you as much as the author intended. And if I recall correctly, the solution there was to add more story onto the end, with the same characters, but acting in a way that they wouldn't normally act, so that if you just glanced at the back of the book you'd think it was the same story but if you actually read the book first you'd know that it wasn't real.

Yes, I remember now. I read that so long ago. I think the first time I heard an idea of the kind was when someone said that _Ender's_Game_ should have been padded with a bunch of pages in the back. If you know why, you know why.

I read Ender's Game about two weeks ago. On a touchscreen tablet. I completely did not see the ending coming. And after it, the very first thing I noted was how much better that experience was for that reason... and then I forgot about it until you posted this.

It's all related!

{P1326}
I once read 6 books which I believed were the first pair of a triple trilogy; there was the most dramatic climax. My mind was boggled as I searched book shops for the continuation; I couldn't imagine how he could continue the story having solved all the problems and blown the link to the bad place to smithereens. Weeks passed before I discovered that that was the end. (This was before the Internet)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Time for pictures? Here's a &%$#* noisemolpy. Don't laugh! They sit in the pines and with the first sunlight falling in the trees the acoustic level raises from "restorative morning peace" to "total tinnitus concealment". Sitting on a balcony between trees means that you cannot keep up a conversation in common audibility. They don't chirp, they snare continuously, for several minutes, and they don't need large breaks. I'd have expected a healthy birdmolp population feeding on them, but birds need fresh water which is rare, and the residents do not tend to support birds (their excrements pollute the rain water which is collected in large cisterns).

The noisemolpies are rather shy, so I failed to hold a ruler beneath this one. It's more than two inches.

That seems like the behavior, size and looks of a chicada. They do seem to make a hell of a noise. They only do it every several years but they do this with power to compensate.
Spoiler:
They do this on a prime number of years (7, 11, 13 or 17 years). The long time between events mean that no local predator can specialize on them. They do it en masse because that simply overwhelms the normal predators. The predators eat until they can't walk anymore. When that happens the predators haven't made a dent in the millions upon millons. Those millions climb upon the other millions to make them pregnant. After the egg-laying they all die and fertilize the ground. A noticeable increase in tree growth is the result of that.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1313

Postby azule » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:55 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:azule, great odetity! Your lyrics were a heck of a lot more interesting than the original ones. But that video was...interesting. :?
Hehe, thanks! I feel a bit embarrassed at your description of the video, so in the future all my links are going to be to Aubronwood. P.S. Thanks, Aubron (feels weird not to add the 'wood' (HEHE, wood)) for the !yt update!

Added: Thanks, ZoomanSP, BlitzGirl!

Hmm. NP1313 = bad luck page for BG. Sorry to hear. :( Uh...GLR did this to you because he thought you needed to cut back to one awesome thing a day. He favors you but we are all his children. lol. Are we? *cuckoo*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

AluisioASG

Re: Blind-Post NP1313

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:58 am UTC

azule wrote:!yt

I think I just found a topic for my graduation thesis.
Spoiler:
Detecting and Tracking DuckDuckGo Users
Selecting new quote…

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Oh, and wrapONG
@BlitzGirl: next time. just use my website link :wink:
Selecting new quote…

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:05 am UTC

You all are wonderful and creative people.

Just sayin'. :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

spOTTy

Postby spOTTy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:23 am UTC

Hallo again. I'm still amazed that the post count is rising!

I de-lurked on page 1312 (not sure if I can link to it (a) because I don't know how, and (b) because this is only my 2nd post). I de-lurked because I was surprised to see the post count rising even after The End. And now it's twelve days later and you're still going strong!

I've been _very slowly_ ketchuping from p1173, and I'm now up to 1257. So that's 84 pages... and now the future is at 1371 so that's another 114 pages. Erk. Or, to put it another way, in 12 days I've gone from 139 pages behind to 114 pages behind. Not exactly great shakes, is it.

So, I stand by my firstpost, in that I'm highly unlikely to arrive in time to meet any of you, but I'm thoroughly enjoying all your posts, deep in the past. Randallspeed, one and all.

Oh, and in case anyone thinks I won't reach tip eventually, NerdSniped on p1255 has very effectively ensured I'll not be able to stop until I reach that elusive close-paren:

NerdSniped wrote:Quick! Someone post an unclosed parenthesis! (Then the OTT can never end, even if the OTC does. (Oh, wait, I think I just took care of it.)

spOTTy, over and out from p1257. x.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:33 am UTC

spOTTy wrote:Hallo again. I'm still amazed that the post count is rising!

I de-lurked on page 1312 (not sure if I can link to it (a) because I don't know how, and (b) because this is only my 2nd post). I de-lurked because I was surprised to see the post count rising even after The End. And now it's twelve days later and you're still going strong!

Your original post was this one and you can't post links yet.

As for the slow going: Yeah that happens. At a point the thread was moving faster than I could ketchup (never Blitzed properly). It doesn't matter. The important thing is that you enjoy yourself.

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:44 am UTC

spOTTy wrote:I de-lurked because I was surprised to see the post count rising even after The End. And now it's twelve days later and you're still going strong!

:shock: It's been twelve days? That's getting on for 300 nopix :?

spOTTy wrote:I've been _very slowly_ ketchuping from p1173, and I'm now up to 1257. So that's 84 pages... and now the future is at 1371 so that's another 114 pages. Erk. Or, to put it another way, in 12 days I've gone from 139 pages behind to 114 pages behind. Not exactly great shakes, is it.

Hey, at least you're not going backwards :wink:
He/Him/His Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:47 am UTC

1795,2580,2582,2620,3004 and 1110/2n6e
Spoiler:
manip.PNG
manip.png

redun.PNG
redundant
redun.PNG (16.12 KiB) Viewed 15544 times
Edited because redundaspoiler fail.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:52 am UTC

Woah...
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:02 am UTC

I suppose it's because they're the same drawing style, but 1190/1110 make really good mashups
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:12 am UTC

HES wrote:I suppose it's because they're the same drawing style, but 1190/1110 make really good mashups

And the fact that they both were beyond awesome.

he/him/his

cellocgw

Re: Please I need a little room to breathe

Postby cellocgw » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:22 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:As others already posted here, it just means that I'll slowly fade away without noticing it. (I just realized how much that song fits the OTT: we had our day, we once were great. I wonder if eventually one of us will be just talking to themself.)

Reminds me of something Dorothy Parker supposedly said after realizing that the Vicious Circle lunches had stopped happening: "It's like waking up and trying to remember when you fell asleep."
One day the last OTTers will pull up the forum page to see no new posts for X wips, and realize it really has ended. But they won't post either, so nobody will know how things actually faded out.

So, "Reprise the Theme Song and roll the credits!"
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:46 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:... a sad Sciscitor who needs a hug *HUG*,...

Awww, thank you Laura Mae!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
HES wrote:I suppose it's because they're the same drawing style, but 1190/1110 make really good mashups

And the fact that they both were beyond awesome.

And the fact they are from the same author and a done few months apart.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”