1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ergman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:44 pm UTC

If he takes off those glasses, he remembers waaaaayyyy too much future.

Prediction: they'll broken beanie around the structure to the other side, and onward to some beanie encampment.

Oh, you're wearing the hat! I was actually planning to do a more intricate, non-animated one that would actually fit...

WHOAH! Kerpope! This time wasn't even intentional! Hmm...
Decree: OTColoreds have been pretty absent for a while. I'd like to see some of them, unless we did them all already or something.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HES

Postby HES » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:46 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:In other news, I am now an officially licensed driver :D I messed up on parallel parking, but no one ever does that in real life, right? right?

Molpish! If you ever have to parallel park in real life, you get as many attempts as you need. And as long as you only slowly crash into the cars either side, everything is fine.

I recently discovered that - despite avoiding the manoeuvre for four yips - I can parallel park a minibus, which is made a lot more difficult by that once you're in the bay, you can see exactly nothing of the vehicle behind. The one that you're reversing towards. With a large, protruding footstep at bumper height.
He/Him/His Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:58 pm UTC

HES wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:In other news, I am now an officially licensed driver :D I messed up on parallel parking, but no one ever does that in real life, right? right?

Molpish! If you ever have to parallel park in real life, you get as many attempts as you need. And as long as you only slowly crash into the cars either side, everything is fine.

I recently discovered that - despite avoiding the manoeuvre for four yips - I can parallel park a minibus, which is made a lot more difficult by that once you're in the bay, you can see exactly nothing of the vehicle behind. The one that you're reversing towards. With a large, protruding footstep at bumper height.

And yet, you manage it. I'm positively impressed there ! Indeed, the trick isn't so much the parking as the not destroying other people's vehicles ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:08 pm UTC

Code: Select all

Receiving unencrypted transmission over private channel PM813-72 from user AASG
Reading data...
Echoing data to public channel...

AluisioASG wrote:I need possible derivations of OTTers' usernames into first names after ~315-600 years (i.e. assume we all went to Île d'If and isolated ourselves from the Outside; what kind of names could we expect after the given timespan?). I've thought of some but I'd like more ideas.

I also need an authorized Time Traveler. And possibly a parent.

Code: Select all

End of file.

HES wrote:

Sounds like a nightmare :shock: Glad you were successful!

HES

Re: 1190: "LBBL"

Postby HES » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:12 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Sounds like a nightmare :shock: Glad you were successful!

On narrow British backstreets, you very quickly learn where your extremities are.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

Awesomeful spoilervision, HES! Image

ucim wrote:
SBN wrote:Also, ucim, Aluisio says you were right.

Interesting - I must have thought something up. I ought to write it down, but then what would be left?

The crumbs of a scrumptious donut, perhaps?

ChronosDragon wrote: messed up on parallel parking, but no one ever does that in real life, right? right?

Don't worry; I did the same thing on my driving test and I've never messed up real-life parallel parking. :P What tripped me up on the test was that the "cars" I was supposed to park between were represented by orange traffic cones, and I had only ever practiced parallel parking between real cars before - lost all my points of reference! (Aced the rest of the test, though.)
Congrats on earning the paper card that legally permits you to operate a motor vehicle by yourself! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:44 pm UTC

An example, for I am a benevolent pope:
Megan and the bag got a bit chirped up, but I'd say this was a
Success overall.
Spoiler:
image.jpg
The clouds are vaguely casting shadows. I so fanceeeee

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote: messed up on parallel parking, but no one ever does that in real life, right? right?

Don't worry; I did the same thing on my driving test and I've never messed up real-life parallel parking. :P What tripped me up on the test was that the "cars" I was supposed to park between were represented by orange traffic cones, and I had only ever practiced parallel parking between real cars before - lost all my points of reference! (Aced the rest of the test, though.)
Congrats on earning the paper card that legally permits you to operate a motor vehicle by yourself! Image

Our allowed-to-operate-a-car cards are plastic. Exact the same as a credit card. Quite handy.
I had to replace my old paper one because it had turned into a multi-part one. Yips before it would have to be replaced. (they have to be replaced every ten yips)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:What tripped me up on the test was that the "cars" I was supposed to park between were represented by orange traffic cones, and I had only ever practiced parallel parking between real cars before - lost all my points of reference!

Yeah, how can you turn as you pass a pillar that doesn't exist?

I stalled doing a 3 point turn in my test. Got away with it, and haven't stalled since [citation needed]. In my defence, having the words "boot open" appear in seaish letters on the dashboard as I started the turn was pretty raptorcatattackish. (That's "trunk open" if you're from across the pond).

Of course, stalling isn't something cheating automatic drivers have to deal with.

For pope, "the fading" was actually "the clouding over". m942:
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:12 pm UTC

Molpish OTColoreds, ergman and HES! Image

Neil_Boekend wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Congrats on earning the paper card that legally permits you to operate a motor vehicle by yourself! Image
Our allowed-to-operate-a-car cards are plastic. Exact the same as a credit card. Quite handy.
Oh yes, our permanent drivercards are plastic, too. The temporary card received right after beating the test is a paper printout.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:57 pm UTC

Congratulations. It is usually something you can avoid. I do recommend finding a 'teen driver course' (My kids went through b.r.a.k.e.s. but I don't think that is nationwide.) The actual class they took was done in brand new BMW's, on the BMW test track. They'll probably never drive a car that fancy again.
With or without a class, assume everyone else driving is about to do something stupid, and give them room to do that.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Postby HES » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The temporary card received right after beating the test is a paper printout.

We don't bother with those, and we have no requirement to carry our licenses. It's all centralised and computer based. Vehicle tax is the only thing that's still a flap of paper, and that's being phased out soon. ANPR makes roads policing a chirpload more convenient.

SBN wrote:assume everyone else driving is about to do something stupid, and give them room to do that.

Fundamental life lesson.
He/Him/His Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The temporary card received right after beating the test is a paper printout.

We don't bother with those, and we have no requirement to carry our licenses. It's all centralised and computer based. Vehicle tax is the only thing that's still a flap of paper, and that's being phased out soon. ANPR makes roads policing a chirpload more convenient.

SBN wrote:assume everyone else driving is about to do something stupid, and give them room to do that.

Fundamental life lesson.

Lucky you, we still need to carry a piece of cardboard to prove we can drive >.<

And indeed, it's best to assume everyone else on the road is out to get you ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

karhell

Postby karhell » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:22 pm UTC

Oh and ONGwards they go

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:22 pm UTC

The Dark Lord

Chapter 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7

The door to the Dark Lord's throne room opens, and a servant enters and bows.

"Your Majesty," he says, "a Molpy is here to see you."

"Why?" says the Dark Lord.

"He says he was captured in the previous battle at the Sandcastle," says the servant, "and has escaped."

"Let him in," says the Dark Lord.

The servant exits and returns with a Molpy who is walking on three legs. His back right leg is bound with a cloth and is dragging. The Molpy bows awkwardly.

"Speak," says the Dark Lord.

"I... was captured in the battle with LaPetite yesterday," says the Molpy. "Tonight when the General attacked, I was able to escape."

"Why did you not stay to help with the battle?" says the Dark Lord, his voice like the roar of the Sea¹.

Spoiler:
"I was injured, Your Majesty," says the Molpy, glancing back at his bound leg. "My leg is broken."

The Dark Lord is silent for a few moments. "Did you hear anything of LaPetite's plans?"

"No, Your Majesty," says the Molpy. He hesitates. "I don't know if she has any plans. She is only a child, after all."

"You will leave that to me," says the Dark Lord, his voice growing louder.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

After a few more moments, the Dark Lord says quietly, "Did you reveal any of my plans?"

"N-no, Your Majesty," says the Molpy. "I don't know your plans."

"Is your loyalty to me wavering, Molpy?"

"Never, Your Majesty!" says the Molpy.

The Dark Lord stares at him. The Molpy swallows and glances away.

The door opens, and the servant enters and bows. "Your Majesty, the General has returned. He has LaPetite."

"Bring them both here," says the Dark Lord.

"Yes, Your Majesty." The servant bows and exits.

"You are dismissed, Molpy," says the Dark Lord.

The Molpy bows and exits.

A few minutes later, the General enters, gripping a young girl by the shoulders, forcing her to walk ahead of him. She is afraid.

"How did the battle go, General?" asks the Dark Lord.

"Very well, Your Majesty," says the General.

"What happened?"

"LaPetite's Molpies fired rocks at us again, but there were too many of us for a few rocks to stop," says the General.

"And?" says the Dark Lord.

"We marched in and surrounded LaPetite. Three of her Molpies were protecting her. They had to be dispatched."

"Good."

"Five of our Molpies and two Sparrow-raptors did not return with the rest," says the General. "They may be dead."

"Is that all?" says the Dark Lord.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

The Dark Lord looks right at the girl. "Come here, LaPetite."

She does not move. The General starts pushing her forward.

The Dark Lord stands up from his throne and walks to them. He looks down at LaPetite. Her expression grows even more fearful, but she does not take her eyes off him.

"What are you planning, LaPetite?"

She doesn't answer. The Dark Lord bends down and picks her up. He holds her in front of his face.

"What makes you think you can stop me, child?" he says, his voice as deep as the Sea¹. "I am the Dark Lord of Moraer! None can stand against me!"

The girl makes no sound.

"LaPetite," says the Dark Lord. "tell me what you are planning!"

He can sense the great fear she feels. She still does not answer him.

The throne room door swings open, and the Head Astrologer walks in uninvited. "Be very careful, Your Majesty," he says.

"Astrologer, what are you doing here?" the Dark Lord says.

"If you scare her greatly, the Valar may count that as harm," says the Astrologer.

The Dark Lord stares at him like a great fish staring down prey.

"A word with you, Your Majesty, if you please," says the Astrologer. "where the girl cannot hear."

The Dark Lord puts the girl down. The General grips her shoulders again.

The Dark Lord walks back to his throne and sits. The Astrologer follows and whispers to him.

"The signs in the sky indicate that if she succeeds, she will rescue her people from the coming flood. They also indicate that she will be your downfall -- again, if she succeeds."

The Dark Lord continues to stare at him, unblinking.

"You must stop her, but you must not harm her -- you must not even scare her too greatly -- lest you bring the wrath of the Valar down on us all. My advice to Your Majesty is this: Do not hold the girl prisoner. Return her to the castle. Then determine how best to stop her."

"Why should I do that?" says the Dark Lord.

"Your Majesty," says the Astrologer. "You hired a man who can read the stars so that he could council you about how best to fulfill your plans. If you wish to succeed, it would be wise to listen to him."

The Dark Lord contemplates this for a few moments. Then he stands.

"Very well," he says. "I will return her."

The Astrologer nods with satisfaction and walks to the door.

"General," says the Dark Lord. "Send one of the Molpies to bring LaPetite back to her Sandcastle."

The General stares at him. "But... why, Your Majesty?"

"Just do it."

The General blinks. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"But, Gurrin, she's an enemy!"

Gurrin was in the hallway outside the Molpies' quarters, talking to another Molpy, Raksor.

"Well, I don't know," Gurrin said. "It just doesn't seem like a little girl could be that much of a threat."

"Well, the Dark Lord seems to think she is," said Raksor.

"I don't know," said Gurrin. "It's just... I don't know."

"Of course," said Raksor. "what I don't understand is, why didn't he just have us kill her?"

At that moment the Head Astrologer came around the corner.

"Eight thousand years ago," said the Astrologer, "the Dark Lord Naurlam tried to destroy humanity by killing all the children. At that time, the Valar decreed that any Dark Lord who harmed a child would be subject to their wrath."

"Oh." said Raksor.

The General came around the corner, pushing LaPetite ahead of him.

"You, Molpy," the General said to Raksor. "Take LaPetite back to her castle."

LaPetite looked straight at Gurrin. Her eyes were filled with fear.

"Why?" asked Raksor.

"The Dark Lord orders it," said the General.

"Because," said the Astrologer, "she was scared when she was captured, when she was taken under the Sea¹, and when she stood before the Dark Lord. To cause her great fear is to cause her harm, and could anger the Valar. Our Dark Lord does not wish to repeat the mistakes of his predecessors."

"Oh." said Raksor.

LaPetite continued to stare at Gurrin as Raksor pulled her toward the main gate of the palace. Gurrin turned and went into the Molpies' quarters. Those fear-filled eyes haunted him as he drifted off to sleep.

¹ big

← previous (NP1790) - next (NP1815) →
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Congratulations. It is usually something you can avoid. I do recommend finding a 'teen driver course' (My kids went through b.r.a.k.e.s. but I don't think that is nationwide.) The actual class they took was done in brand new BMW's, on the BMW test track. They'll probably never drive a car that fancy again.
With or without a class, assume everyone else driving is about to do something stupid, and give them room to do that.

It is actually required to take the class here - you can't get a license without doing it. (Coincidentally, the companies that offer the classes also administer the tests now. It's basically entirely privately owned, except the DMV itself). I took the class last June, but there is also a requirement to get 50 hours of practice in before the test, which I just recently achieved. So I know about what all the other drivers are doing wrong :P

ggh

Woohoo - another bit of software loaded

Postby ggh » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:33 pm UTC

2363:
I enjoy *extreme* close-ups. It sure is treeish when microscopes and photographers get together. :)
This first one is feathers, and in the one below, Megan is truly slipping on a banana peel.

1265:
redundant and boring:
Spoiler:
microsopicFeathers2363.jpg
bananaPeel1265.jpg
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm UTC

Flutterbeewingish, ggh! Image
Another molpish chapter, Earthling! :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:39 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ucim wrote:
SBN wrote:Also, ucim, Aluisio says you were right.

Interesting - I must have thought something up. I ought to write it down, but then what would be left?

The crumbs of a scrumptious donut, perhaps?
Nah, it was delicious horrible torture!

Congrats ChronosDragon! You are now mobile!

The way cars are made these days, with the racy sloped windows, backing up straight has become quite tricky. All the references I used to use are all ch*rped up.

Awesome ottcolor ergman! And HES too! That was brilliant. I'll see if I can put one together, but not tonight. You'll have to [annoy TheMinim] for it.

Neil_Boekend wrote:Our allowed-to-operate-a-car cards are plastic. Exact the same as a credit card. Quite handy.
I had to replace my old paper one because it had turned into a multi-part one. Yips before it would have to be replaced. (they have to be replaced every ten yips)
Far easier to replace an allowed-to-operate-a-car card that has gone multipart, than to replace an actual car that met the same fate.

But what do dead people do with cars anyway?

Yay! Earthing on Mars has more of the Dark Lord! And LaPetite is... well, I won't give it away. But she bears watching.

And ggh - Awefulsome ottcolored; I especially like the first one (2363). Very dramatic. What kind of feathers? Is the snowflakey part actually snowflakes? And is that the outside of banana peel, or the inside?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:What tripped me up on the test was that the "cars" I was supposed to park between were represented by orange traffic cones, and I had only ever practiced parallel parking between real cars before - lost all my points of reference!

Yeah, how can you turn as you pass a pillar that doesn't exist?

I stalled doing a 3 point turn in my test. Got away with it, and haven't stalled since [citation needed]. In my defence, having the words "boot open" appear in seaish letters on the dashboard as I started the turn was pretty raptorcatattackish. (That's "trunk open" if you're from across the pond).

Of course, stalling isn't something cheating automatic drivers have to deal with.
Hah, I stalled doing perpendicular parking (backwards) in my test. And I also ran over a curb with my rear wheel while turning right. Twice. In my defence, it was covered in snowi and it was the first and last time this has happened to me. I was actually quite surprised that I did pass the test. And I was glad I didn't had to do the parallel parking, because I still suck at it. I don't drive much and parallel parking is even more rare situation for me, but when I have to do it, I always underestimate the space behind the car. From the inside, it feels like my rear bumper is already inside the car behind me and when I get out, there's literally two meters of space between the cars.

For the decree: I would love to do an OTColoration! But it will take some time, so I will place it here after a while: ETA: I voted for OTTscars and now I have to coma, you have to wait for it tomorrow.

EDIT: So, here are my colorations. I decided to go through my photos from two wips long vacation which I took just a few dips after T** E** of Time. I was in France, just about 200-300 kms north of Time-place so I thought it's quite RELATED. I picked 7 photos that reminded me some OTC scene:
Spoiler:
This one is out of format, consider it a bonuspix: 1935

(Note: Cuegan's position is mostly altered but their scale is always original.)

i I was doing my driving lessons in winter and there was no snow at all for the whole time. On the day of my test, there was still no snow in the morning but as I was doing the theoretical part of the test, it started snowing quite heavily and we have to wait an hour or two for the plows to remove the snow from the main roads at least.

Redundant
Spoiler:
1318-colored.png
1888-colored.png
1931-colored.png
1935-colored-bonuspix.png
2158-colored.png
2321-colored.png
2950-colored.png
Last edited by NoMouse on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:00 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:53 pm UTC

Ninja'd by the Wizard of Blitz, Flutterbeewingish!

Bumping kerbs is acceptable when they're invisible, NoMouse. And better underestimate than over, in that case. I'm not as wide as I think I am, and have saved a few wing mirrors as a result.

And just to be clear, [citation needed] = [complete lie]. The thing with the (UK) test is that it's not whether you stall, it's how you deal with it if you do.
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
SBN wrote:

It is actually required to take the class here - you can't get a license without doing it. (Coincidentally, the companies that offer the classes also administer the tests now. It's basically entirely privately owned, except the DMV itself). I took the class last June, but there is also a requirement to get 50 hours of practice in before the test, which I just recently achieved. So I know about what all the other drivers are doing wrong :P

The class I linked is not at all a basic, 'This is how you drive' course. It is very much an accident avoidance course, and included practice in steering out of a spin*, panic steering, etc. I'd find it surprising and wonderful if they require that for everyone. This particular class is also offered free, though they do encourage donations.

*As in, teens driving car on wet skid pad, instructor induces a spin by suddenly putting on the emergency brakes, teens need to bring the car back under control.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:19 pm UTC

SBN wrote:The class I linked is not at all a basic, 'This is how you drive' course. It is very much an accident avoidance course, and included practice in steering out of a spin*, panic steering, etc. I'd find it surprising and wonderful if they require that for everyone. This particular class is also offered free, though they do encourage donations.

*As in, teens driving car on wet skid pad, instructor induces a spin by suddenly putting on the emergency brakes, teens need to bring the car back under control.

Oh, okay. That is different. From the cheesy car-related acronym I assumed it was in the same vein as the other driving-related courses. Sounds like a good thing to have, anyway.

HES

La Petite is bear watching?

Postby HES » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

We have a course called "Pass Plus" which you can take after you pass, which covers things like night driving, poor weather, and motorways (which you can't drive on as a learner), but it doesn't go as far as skid pans etc. If there isn't a suitable opportunity for practical experience (i.e. it's the middle of summer so the weather is good and sunset is really late) then you just discuss what you would do with the instructor as you drive around.

I did it a year after passing as an excuse to drive some more. It supposedly makes insurance cheaper, but barely.
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

ggh wrote:2363:
I enjoy *extreme* close-ups. It sure is treeish when microscopes and photographers get together. :)
This first one is feathers, and in the one below, Megan is truly slipping on a banana peel.

1265:
redundant and boring:
Spoiler:
microsopicFeathers2363.jpg
bananaPeel1265.jpg

Ooh!
Earthling on Mars wrote:The Dark Lord

Chapter 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7

The door to the Dark Lord's throne room opens, and a servant enters and bows.

"Your Majesty," he says, "a Molpy is here to see you."

"Why?" says the Dark Lord.

"He says he was captured in the previous battle at the Sandcastle," says the servant, "and has escaped."

"Let him in," says the Dark Lord.

The servant exits and returns with a Molpy who is walking on three legs. His back right leg is bound with a cloth and is dragging. The Molpy bows awkwardly.

"Speak," says the Dark Lord.

"I... was captured in the battle with LaPetite yesterday," says the Molpy. "Tonight when the General attacked, I was able to escape."

"Why did you not stay to help with the battle?" says the Dark Lord, his voice like the roar of the Sea¹.

Spoiler:
"I was injured, Your Majesty," says the Molpy, glancing back at his bound leg. "My leg is broken."

The Dark Lord is silent for a few moments. "Did you hear anything of LaPetite's plans?"

"No, Your Majesty," says the Molpy. He hesitates. "I don't know if she has any plans. She is only a child, after all."

"You will leave that to me," says the Dark Lord, his voice growing louder.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

After a few more moments, the Dark Lord says quietly, "Did you reveal any of my plans?"

"N-no, Your Majesty," says the Molpy. "I don't know your plans."

"Is your loyalty to me wavering, Molpy?"

"Never, Your Majesty!" says the Molpy.

The Dark Lord stares at him. The Molpy swallows and glances away.

The door opens, and the servant enters and bows. "Your Majesty, the General has returned. He has LaPetite."

"Bring them both here," says the Dark Lord.

"Yes, Your Majesty." The servant bows and exits.

"You are dismissed, Molpy," says the Dark Lord.

The Molpy bows and exits.

A few minutes later, the General enters, gripping a young girl by the shoulders, forcing her to walk ahead of him. She is afraid.

"How did the battle go, General?" asks the Dark Lord.

"Very well, Your Majesty," says the General.

"What happened?"

"LaPetite's Molpies fired rocks at us again, but there were too many of us for a few rocks to stop," says the General.

"And?" says the Dark Lord.

"We marched in and surrounded LaPetite. Three of her Molpies were protecting her. They had to be dispatched."

"Good."

"Five of our Molpies and two Sparrow-raptors did not return with the rest," says the General. "They may be dead."

"Is that all?" says the Dark Lord.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

The Dark Lord looks right at the girl. "Come here, LaPetite."

She does not move. The General starts pushing her forward.

The Dark Lord stands up from his throne and walks to them. He looks down at LaPetite. Her expression grows even more fearful, but she does not take her eyes off him.

"What are you planning, LaPetite?"

She doesn't answer. The Dark Lord bends down and picks her up. He holds her in front of his face.

"What makes you think you can stop me, child?" he says, his voice as deep as the Sea¹. "I am the Dark Lord of Moraer! None can stand against me!"

The girl makes no sound.

"LaPetite," says the Dark Lord. "tell me what you are planning!"

He can sense the great fear she feels. She still does not answer him.

The throne room door swings open, and the Head Astrologer walks in uninvited. "Be very careful, Your Majesty," he says.

"Astrologer, what are you doing here?" the Dark Lord says.

"If you scare her greatly, the Valar may count that as harm," says the Astrologer.

The Dark Lord stares at him like a great fish staring down prey.

"A word with you, Your Majesty, if you please," says the Astrologer. "where the girl cannot hear."

The Dark Lord puts the girl down. The General grips her shoulders again.

The Dark Lord walks back to his throne and sits. The Astrologer follows and whispers to him.

"The signs in the sky indicate that if she succeeds, she will rescue her people from the coming flood. They also indicate that she will be your downfall -- again, if she succeeds."

The Dark Lord continues to stare at him, unblinking.

"You must stop her, but you must not harm her -- you must not even scare her too greatly -- lest you bring the wrath of the Valar down on us all. My advice to Your Majesty is this: Do not hold the girl prisoner. Return her to the castle. Then determine how best to stop her."

"Why should I do that?" says the Dark Lord.

"Your Majesty," says the Astrologer. "You hired a man who can read the stars so that he could council you about how best to fulfill your plans. If you wish to succeed, it would be wise to listen to him."

The Dark Lord contemplates this for a few moments. Then he stands.

"Very well," he says. "I will return her."

The Astrologer nods with satisfaction and walks to the door.

"General," says the Dark Lord. "Send one of the Molpies to bring LaPetite back to her Sandcastle."

The General stares at him. "But... why, Your Majesty?"

"Just do it."

The General blinks. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"But, Gurrin, she's an enemy!"

Gurrin was in the hallway outside the Molpies' quarters, talking to another Molpy, Raksor.

"Well, I don't know," Gurrin said. "It just doesn't seem like a little girl could be that much of a threat."

"Well, the Dark Lord seems to think she is," said Raksor.

"I don't know," said Gurrin. "It's just... I don't know."

"Of course," said Raksor. "what I don't understand is, why didn't he just have us kill her?"

At that moment the Head Astrologer came around the corner.

"Eight thousand years ago," said the Astrologer, "the Dark Lord Naurlam tried to destroy humanity by killing all the children. At that time, the Valar decreed that any Dark Lord who harmed a child would be subject to their wrath."

"Oh." said Raksor.

The General came around the corner, pushing LaPetite ahead of him.

"You, Molpy," the General said to Raksor. "Take LaPetite back to her castle."

LaPetite looked straight at Gurrin. Her eyes were filled with fear.

"Why?" asked Raksor.

"The Dark Lord orders it," said the General.

"Because," said the Astrologer, "she was scared when she was captured, when she was taken under the Sea¹, and when she stood before the Dark Lord. To cause her great fear is to cause her harm, and could anger the Valar. Our Dark Lord does not wish to repeat the mistakes of his predecessors."

"Oh." said Raksor.

LaPetite continued to stare at Gurrin as Raksor pulled her toward the main gate of the palace. Gurrin turned and went into the Molpies' quarters. Those fear-filled eyes haunted him as he drifted off to sleep.

¹ big

Ahh! I remember wanting to draw a human version of La Petite way back during Aluisio's story, and during Inspiration. This too makes me want to do that. Everybody just
Spoiler:
wait for it
for it.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Awesome ottcolor ergman! And HES too! That was brilliant. I'll see if I can put one together, but not tonight. You'll have to [annoy TheMinim] for it.

Sorry, I don't do colouring. :P

(Yep, had to do that)
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:13 pm UTC

Spoiler:

I'm not sure what we're fighting over, or if we're even fighting. My thought process doesn't always complete.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0714

Postby mscha » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:30 am UTC

WELLONGTON...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:36 am UTC

Thus ends the SpoilerONGs (But not the mysterONGs, I hope)
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0714

Postby ggh » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:44 am UTC

mscha wrote:WELLONGTON...

A shoutout - yay! WellONGton is currently experiencing the calm before the storm. The result is what I consider a "summer day." I don't care what Cyclone Lusi is doing to Auckland and the rest of the country (probably I will after I check the news) she should stay just where she is right now for a month or two.

ucim wrote:And ggh - Awefulsome ottcolored; I especially like the first one (2363). Very dramatic. What kind of feathers? Is the snowflakey part actually snowflakes? And is that the outside of banana peel, or the inside?

Gee, no idea - it comes from this fellow, Marcus Kett.
I'll edit to add more info to this post as soon as I can... must stop battery consumption... mean that in the toddler sense....

ETA: I'm assuming the banana is the outside, but I'm not positive. This site shows a quick overview, but if you go to the artist, Caren Alpert's own site, and look in the gallery, there are higher resolution images or even more foods. Some pretty amazing images - I will probably steal from here again.

The snowflakes... hmm.... Upon further investigation, the snowflakes are pee. Teehee. The rest of this fellow's site is pretty interesting too, if not as pretty. He's less the fine-arsty-with-a-microscope type and more of the sciencey-geek-who-enjoys-a-pretty-picture school.
Last edited by ggh on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:08 am UTC

HES wrote:Thus ends the SpoilerONGs (But not the mysterONGs, I hope)

[/spoilervision]
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:12 am UTC

[Hide]
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:32 am UTC

[run]

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:35 am UTC

[...]
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 am UTC

[Wait for it.]
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

[ ]

Postby HES » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:46 am UTC

[Sorry Minim]
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

[Time intensifies]

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:53 am UTC

[Bracketing intensifies]

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:11 am UTC

[bracketing intensifies to the max
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:20 am UTC

]what is happening[
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

]

Postby HES » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:33 am UTC

{combo breaker}

Goat, I think. The Bracket incident of NP1803 is over.
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”