1200: "Authorization"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1200: "Authorization"

Postby Jamaican Castle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:12 am UTC

Horselover Frost wrote:What you're all forgetting is, if somebody steals your laptop, whether or not it's logged in, they have complete access to everything on it unless you use full disk encryption. Even in the case of some partial disk encryption schemes (like earlier versions of Apple's FileVault), you're only delaying them however long it takes to crack your password hash (from minutes with a good rainbow table and some luck, to maybe a month, tops, on a home PC doing a brute force attack).

That's assuming a certain amount of technical competence on the part of your laptop thief, which most people who end up in the possession of stolen laptops probably don't have (unless you lot on the forums are planning something...). Also, assuming you're not entirely computerless, you can start changing your passwords and taking other steps to protect your valuables within minutes of noticing it's gone, limiting how much damage somebody could theoretically do by cracking your hard drive.

Besides, if somebody really wanted your data, there's no need to be subtle.
Jamaican Castle

Postby mcv » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:That's assuming a certain amount of technical competence on the part of your laptop thief, which most people who end up in the possession of stolen laptops probably don't have (unless you lot on the forums are planning something...).

Not always, sure, but security by hoping for ignorance doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me.
mcv

Postby Ken_g6 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

There's a reason I tell my browsers not to save my passwords for my bank, PayPal, and GMail. (Though, yes, GMail may be logged on at any given time, my bank and PayPal aren't.) And I don't do Facebook - I do forums like this one instead. ;)

ekolis wrote:
Random832 wrote:WHAT other users?

Hey, not EVERYONE can afford their own computer...

That doesn't mean I should have to share mine. :mrgreen:
Ken_g6

Postby vviipp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Unless you're really stupid, the only way that someone would manage to steal your laptop is if they manage to take the damn thing while you have your back turned for, like, a second. Besides, banks never save your password on your computer, but you can choose to remember your account number (which I do; I'm also stupid enough to use my computer's admin account as my main user account). And the bank I'm with now has these security devices to log in.

You'd be really stupid if you were logged into your bank account when your computer was stolen.
vviipp

Postby brenok » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:Besides, if somebody really wanted your data, there's no need to be subtle.

I though you were going to link to this comic
brenok
Needs Directions

Postby Tova » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:44 am UTC

"But at least they can't install keyloggers"

FTFYR
Tova

Postby babble » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:14 am UTC

It's a good idea to use Gmail's phone verification system, whereby it sends you a text with a code to input after your password when you log in. I suppose the putative thief is bound to have stolen your phone too, but, in general.

You'd be really stupid if you were logged into your bank account when your computer was stolen.

They also log you out after five minutes of inactivity, don't they? Hopefully it would take said master criminal longer than that to find somewhere safe to sit down with your machine. Even if s/he had also stolen your wallet with your cards in plus the little card PIN reader that most banks make you use if you're going to move money around...

But yeah. getting annoyed with this comic for the way it makes its point is kind of pointless, I see that.
babble

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads