Helvetica Scenario

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Helvetica Scenario

Postby Techno Gray » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

Can someone please explain what a Helvetica Scenario is?
I cannot find any reliable sources for a definition. The most I've found out is that Helvetica is a type font and the 'scenario' is when the queen bee leaves the hive. However this information makes no sense in context. Knowing XKCD, I'm assuming the term is actually something science-y.
Techno Gray
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby screen317 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Urban Dictionary has an interesting take on it:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... 20Scenario

Edit: It's also referenced in the mouse-over text in this XKCD:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54772




Edit again: It's a reference to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Around_You
screen317
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby Techno Gray » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

So just to be clear, I couldn't find credible sources because it's not a real thing?
Techno Gray
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby screen317 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Techno Gray wrote:So just to be clear, I couldn't find credible sources because it's not a real thing?
Correct. Though others may disagree on the meaning of "real." :)
screen317
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby Sizik » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:35 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.
User avatar
Sizik
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby z4lis » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

Sizik wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZPTM0PGQPE

Relevant part at 6:17


Let me help you with that! http://youtu.be/OZPTM0PGQPE?t=6m17s

If you click "share", you can select a time that the video will load at when accessed through the link.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.
User avatar
z4lis
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby vertigelt1 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

Very interesting that the Helvetic Syndrome beings almost exactly at the wadsworth constant for the video. In fact, if you use the wadsworth parameter in the Youtube URL, it starts almost exactly at the relevant part:

/watch?v=OZPTM0PGQPE&wadsworth=1
vertigelt1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby skeptical scientist » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:19 am UTC

z4lis wrote:
Sizik wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZPTM0PGQPE

Relevant part at 6:17


Let me help you with that! http://youtu.be/OZPTM0PGQPE?t=6m17s

If you click "share", you can select a time that the video will load at when accessed through the link.

Although if you know the normal url is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZPTM0PGQPE and the url that jumps to 6m17s is http://youtu.be/OZPTM0PGQPE?t=6m17s, you should be able to figure out how to generate the right url without clicking the "share" link and selecting a time.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson
User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
 
Posts: 6150
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby Sizik » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:31 am UTC

Or you want to give people the option of watching the whole thing without having to manually restart the video.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.
User avatar
Sizik
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby Artemis_Wolf » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

screen317 wrote:
Techno Gray wrote:So just to be clear, I couldn't find credible sources because it's not a real thing?
Correct. Though others may disagree on the meaning of "real." :)

It looks as though the "Enigma University Wiki" has a good article on it. I don't know what Enigma University is, and I cannot post the link because it is flagged as spam.
I would argue that as it appears to be a scientifically valid hypothesis, it is a real phenomenon that as yet the universe has never experienced. Sure, we might die of a heart attack before the death by calcium fully carries out, but in the future we'll probably have some guard against heart attacks and then the threat will be real. I don't know. I suppose as yet it's "unproven" rather than real or unreal-- upon observation (of proof or disproof), the wavefunction will collapse into either real or unreal; as for now, it's a mixture of the two. I definitely would not say it's fake.
Then again, I'd never heard about it until five minutes ago, so I guess this is more a discussion about "real" than a discussion about the Helvetica Scenario.
Artemis_Wolf
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby lgstarn » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Guys, you can argue all you want about how "real" Helvetica Syndrome is, but my uncle (well, actually my uncle's second-cousin, I'm not sure what to call him in English) who worked at a calcium factory producing industrial grade calcium would tell you the wave functions have already collapsed, i.e. THIS IS REAL. He experienced Helvetica Syndrome first-hand, and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. It's somewhat exaggerated in the media (not everyone dies 100%, those are just standard scare strategies of course), but now his face is now horribly deformed and he was the lucky one to survive. They had to cut a breathing hole for him, and he is totally blind and mute. Helvetica Syndrome is no joke, it is off the scale just like the XCKD author says.
lgstarn
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby brenok » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:08 am UTC

I know these stories are frightening, but let's face the facts. Considering the cost-benefit of Calcium, and the efficiency and everyday needs for calcified equipment (remember, without Calcium, we wouldn't be able to eat and would die), Calcium production and refining is much safer than, say, Coal.

And you can be sure that this kind of spetacular accident, like your uncle's or the great Dnepropetrovsk Incident in Ukraine are because of the old design of Calcium processors, and very rare. The new generation Mk. 3 Calcium-Cesium Smasher are nearly 100% failproof, and will probably work for decades without any problems. Just take a look on the earthquake-proof Calcium refinaries on California or Japan, flawlessly working. The benefits certainly outweight the risks by very far.
brenok
Needs Directions
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:35 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby elasto » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

You say that but the risks have multiplied with this new fad for fracking. There's been too little research on the effect of the high temperatures and pressures involved on the stability of the Calcium ion in the wild.

And because of the interconnected nature of the modern world, if a full-on Helvetica pandemic hits one country it'll take no time at all to spread everywhere :(
elasto
 
Posts: 1445
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby Chillibyte » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Artemis_Wolf wrote:
screen317 wrote:
Techno Gray wrote:So just to be clear, I couldn't find credible sources because it's not a real thing?
Correct. Though others may disagree on the meaning of "real." :)

It looks as though the "Enigma University Wiki" has a good article on it. I don't know what Enigma University is, and I cannot post the link because it is flagged as spam.
I would argue that as it appears to be a scientifically valid hypothesis, it is a real phenomenon that as yet the universe has never experienced. Sure, we might die of a heart attack before the death by calcium fully carries out, but in the future we'll probably have some guard against heart attacks and then the threat will be real. I don't know. I suppose as yet it's "unproven" rather than real or unreal-- upon observation (of proof or disproof), the wavefunction will collapse into either real or unreal; as for now, it's a mixture of the two. I definitely would not say it's fake.
Then again, I'd never heard about it until five minutes ago, so I guess this is more a discussion about "real" than a discussion about the Helvetica Scenario.

Did you click and read the Enigma University link? I read the whole article and pretty much believed it, and then I read the description of the University. This led me here, where it seemed helpful, but the trolling hurts my head. If it's not trolling I suppose it could possibly be a result from an isotope rather than a 'Helvetica scenario'.
Also, unless I'm mistaken, protons, along with neutrons, are found in the centre of the atom, not suspended. I've never heard of a 'Queen Bee' atom. I suppose that the nucleus of a calcium atom COULD have this effect, but the actual science around it seems flawed completely.
Other than that, I fully agree with your post
User avatar
Chillibyte
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:46 am UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby ikrase » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 am UTC

It's fictional.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]
ikrase
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 3:22 am UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby Keybounce » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:33 am UTC

Somehow, I thought this was the idea that the Helvetica font family displaces everything else, and takes over the world by blandness without expression; combined with the lack of serifs in anything printed, causing massive eye disruption and eventually permanent blindness.

No? Oh well.
The political and economic blog of a strict constitutionalist.
http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.com

Current topic: Constitutional amendment to correct bad court decisions and protect the constitution
Keybounce
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 1:41 am UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

I like the cut of your jib, Keybounce.
The future is a combination of east and down.
User avatar
Quizatzhaderac
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:28 pm UTC
Location: Space Florida

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby Ghosty » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

On the topic of the Enigma University.

Okay, so, first of all, Enigma University Wiki is based on a tabletop RPG based on the world of SWAT Kats.

Yeah. So the University doesn't exist/exists on Altair prime, the capital planet of the Katian empire.

But them mentioning it in the wiki is (presumably) because the show used the actual concept as a sci-fi writing prompt in one of the episodes, which is to say nothing of the phenomenon's legitimacy.

After light digging, looks like that wiki is correct up until it incorporates it into the universe (e.g. testing on live subjects).

Spotting the break is made easy by the mention of "interstellar agencies".

So yes. It's not that Helvetica is "not real" so much as it hasn't been an end-of-the-world problem like it was initially posited to be capable of... being.

More of a disease than a scenario, IMO.

Hope that clears something up.

Edit: That's what I thought at first too, Key :3
Ghosty
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby dranorter » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

Ghosty wrote:On the topic of the Enigma University.
So yes. It's not that Helvetica is "not real" so much as it hasn't been an end-of-the-world problem like it was initially posited to be capable of... being.

More of a disease than a scenario, IMO.

Hope that clears something up.


What?? No. However real or made-up the idea of a calcium atom losing its nucleus might be, the made-up part has to include the result, namely a 'very fast mutation' causing the skin to 'grow over all open orifices'. Where would the energy come from for that sudden skin growth? Oh also if you look at the Look Around You video they describe a "calcium molecule" (somehow containing a double helix) which apparently is a cubic structure formed from linked electrons, rather than an element.
dranorter
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby Ghosty » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

dranorter wrote:What?? No. However real or made-up the idea of a calcium atom losing its nucleus might be, the made-up part has to include the result, namely a 'very fast mutation' causing the skin to 'grow over all open orifices'. Where would the energy come from for that sudden skin growth? Oh also if you look at the Look Around You video they describe a "calcium molecule" (somehow containing a double helix) which apparently is a cubic structure formed from linked electrons, rather than an element.


Yeah, the video was a bit lulzy. I agree with you that the details of the thing seem like pretty, er, wild extrapolations. I can't imagine such a uniform celular event to conform to the orfices or to generate more mass, but I imagined the real thing would be more like liquification, in which case, you would be able to manually clear the orfices if they didn't clear automatically.

But until I know more, I'm going to assume that this concept has little to no bearing in the real world at the moment.
Ghosty
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

Re: Helvetica Scenario

Postby brenok » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

What is the problem with you people?
brenok
Needs Directions
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:35 pm UTC
Location: Brazil


Return to Fictional Science

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests