Geomatics as a career?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hobbz

Geomatics as a career?

Postby hobbz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:52 am UTC

HI folks, long time XKCD reader, first time poster (I'll throw an intro up in a bit.)

In brief, I am considering retraining in the field of geomatics. I have been an outdoor educator, instructor, and guide for the last 7 years, and I'm hoping to move into an area that will provide a higher income and more regular work, while also empowering my passion for the outdoors (can you tell I'm a camp councilor?) and letting me play with some cool toys. Eventually, I'd like to combine my skills to create some really cool maps for hikers, skiers, mountaineers, paddlers, etc. similar to what's being produced by Clark Geomatics.

I'm curious, however, as to how viable this really is. I don't need to make fun maps full time (as much as I'd like to,) but I'd like to ensure that this will be a career that continues to challenge and delight me. If some of you have any experiences in this area, I'd be most grateful to read about them.

Thanks
Hobbz

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Re: Geomatics as a career?

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:31 am UTC

Hi there!

I'm a Professional Land Surveyor who does an awful lot of mapping (our company has two sides; a surveying firm and a GIS/mapping firm), and PM me, and I'd be happy to answer any questions.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:01 am UTC

And I'm a cartographer, I do map production and software sales/training/consultancy aimed at cartography and GIS. I graduated 14 years ago, worked for a small business for 5 years and then started my own business, now almost 9 years ago. I'm still having a lot of fun and am still learning new stuff.

If you want to know anything, feel free to ask here or send me a PM.

Funny you should mention Clark Geomatics, I know the guy and am a big fan of his work :D
Quack!

hobbz

Postby hobbz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:11 am UTC

Thank you both for the replies, I really appreciate it!

Return to “General”