Matlab alternatives

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Matlab alternatives

Postby Qaanol » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

What’s everyone using?

I’m on OS X and I just downloaded FreeMat, which seems quite handy so far. I also downloaded SciLab, though I have yet to try it. I hear GNU Octave exists, and all the reviews indicate it is fast and feature-rich, but is not Mac native so I haven’t used it.
wee free kings

nadando

Re: Matlab alternatives

Postby nadando » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:25 am UTC

If you like python, numpy/scipy are great. Throw in matplotlib (not as popular) and you have all of matlab's functionality. Sympy if you want to do symbolic manipulation.

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 am UTC

If you want to do any stats, R is free and very midely widely used.

Octave is indeed very similar to matlab and feature rich. It's not quite the case you can just pick up any .m file and run it right away, but it's close. Also you can compile .mex files from octave, so that gives you C and C++ to play with.
Last edited by D.B. on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

MostlyHarmless

Postby MostlyHarmless » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:51 am UTC

Mmm, if you actually want "Matlab for free", then Octave is a great choice. The real question is why you want Matlab instead of something like Python, C or Fortran. I still use Matlab for school sometimes, but in my experience no one does any serious numerics in it. What are you trying to do?

f5r5e5d

Postby f5r5e5d » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:32 am UTC

SciLab has very active development and there are m file translators although Octave is supposed to be more nearly MatLab m file compatible

there is a place for these defined environments for those who don't want to write a real program for each and every thing they need to do - and they still have internal scripting toy languages that are honed for the application and environment

I am playing with Sage math - but it is confusing as it incorporates many dozens of other free (and some very abstract) math packages and tries to glue them together with Python - but my interest is in Symbolic math - not the numerical matrix math that MatLab, SciLab and Octave emphasize
Sage gives access to DOE Maxima symbolic processing

XCAS has a different symbolic engine as well as the usual numerical math, function plotting

Return to “Mathematics”