[RESOLVED] Revision Mode(?) in office suite word processors?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

SpringLoaded12

[RESOLVED] Revision Mode(?) in office suite word processors?

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:18 pm UTC

Working on a university project, I recently received a document from a writing advisor that included his revision comments, and noticed a functionality of the word processor I hadn't seen before.

The advisor's edits are visible in blue (the dotted line leads to a comment on the right margin). What caught me off guard was when I went to make an edit myself, it automatically applied the same crossing-out and highlighting format, and even in a different color (the green in the bottom-right).

My question is, how do I enable this with other documents? It seems like a useful feature. I'm using Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 Writer, though it'd be useful to know how to do this in Microsoft Office Word as well.
Last edited by SpringLoaded12 on Thu May 22, 2014 1:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

EvanED

Re: Revision Mode(?) in office suite word processors?

Postby EvanED » Wed May 21, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

The typical feature is called "track changes", and has been around a long time. How you access it will change a bit by version, especially in Word. (Remarkably enough, they've actually managed to make some nice, if minor, improvements to this feature even over the last couple versions. OO Writer has it, but it's not nearly as nice IMO.)

In OO Writer 4.1 beta (what I happen to have here), you go to Edit -> Changes -> Record. In Word 2013, use the Review ribbon and click Track Changes.

SpringLoaded12

Re: Revision Mode(?) in office suite word processors?

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:55 am UTC

Thanks a bunch! That should cover everything I wanted to know, so I'll mark this as resolved.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Re: [RESOLVED] Revision Mode(?) in office suite word process

Postby scarecrovv » Thu May 22, 2014 5:16 am UTC

The correct answer, of course, is to use LaTeX and a proper version control system Git or Mercurial. :wink:

Return to “The Help Desk”