Wuxia/Kung Fu Fight Scenes

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Wuxia/Kung Fu Fight Scenes

Postby setzer777 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:07 pm UTC

So I've very much enjoyed the 2 high-profile American release Wuxia films - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero, and I'm interested in seeing more of the genre.

My problem is that when it comes to these kinds of fantastical martial arts scenes production values become very important to me. I guess it's just because I'm already engaging in a fair amount of suspension of disbelief, but I really can't handle shoddy choreography or excessively clumsy special effects.

Does anyone have recommendations? I'm primarily concerned with the quality of the fight scenes themselves, although a good surrounding narrative obviously doesn't hurt.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Negated

Re: Wuxia/Kung Fu Fight Scenes

Postby Negated » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:50 pm UTC

I liked Ip Man (2008). The Grandmaster (2013) is another take on the same person with a different focus.

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:11 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:So I've very much enjoyed the 2 high-profile American release Wuxia films - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero, and I'm interested in seeing more of the genre.

My problem is that when it comes to these kinds of fantastical martial arts scenes production values become very important to me. I guess it's just because I'm already engaging in a fair amount of suspension of disbelief, but I really can't handle shoddy choreography or excessively clumsy special effects.

Does anyone have recommendations? I'm primarily concerned with the quality of the fight scenes themselves, although a good surrounding narrative obviously doesn't hurt.

Even though the story is absurdly silly, Kung Fu Hustle has some really well done (if completely ridiculous) fight scenes. It's worth watching for a laugh - and the fights really are well done.

House Of Flying Daggers is pretty good.

The Forbidden Kingdom is also pretty good; Jet Li and Jackie Chan work well together.

Ong Bak is also really excellent.

Finally, one of my all time favorites - even if the production value is pretty dated - is Wing Chun starring Michelle Yeoh. There are a few points where the wire work is more obvious than you might like, but it's still really cool and worth a view.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:18 am UTC

cphite wrote:Even though the story is absurdly silly, Kung Fu Hustle has some really well done (if completely ridiculous) fight scenes. It's worth watching for a laugh - and the fights really are well done.

I actually agree. Shaolin Soccer was the other one that was done in the Kung Fu Hustle "wacky" style. I enjoyed them both, but Kung Fu Hustle was the better of the two IMO.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”