Turning a Kindle Fire HDX into an Android Tablet.

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

King Author

Turning a Kindle Fire HDX into an Android Tablet.

Postby King Author » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:18 am UTC

Ahh, well-intentioned in-laws and their misinformed Christmas purchases. From the uncle who gets you an Xbox One game for your PS4, to the grandma who gets you an iTunes giftcard thinking it's a Steam Wallet card.

I received a Kindle Fire HDX this Christmas under just such circumstances. I was pleased and unsurprised to find out it's just a heavily-modified Android device, because I don't actually have any mobile device of my own and have been playing some Android games on my nephew's old Android tab he doesn't use anymore.

I've seen guides online that let you access the Google Play Store on a Fire, which is nice, but I want to copy over my save data. Er, well also, I don't know how safe the methods I've seen are.

So! Two questions!
1) Is the 1Mobile Market app safe? I heard about it from this tutorial...
http://kindlefireforkid.com/how-to-side ... -fire-hdx/
1b) If I got access to the apk files for any given Android App, could I just put them on my Kindle via USB or something, skipping the 1Mobile app altogether?

2) Regardless of the method I use to get Android apps running on my new Fire, how can I transfer app save data from my nephew's old Android tablet? I've been playing the Family Guy game (hey, don't judge) and got limited-time characters that I don't wanna lose. It's the Asus Eee Pad, by the way, if that helps, but if not, I can get you any info from it or the HDX you need, just lemme know.

Danke very schoen for any help. I'm too softhearted to eBay the unwanted HDX, even if no one finds out, so I really wanna transform it into something I actually want and will use.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

jlpicard2

Re: Turning a Kindle Fire HDX into an Android Tablet.

Postby jlpicard2 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

Last edited by jlpicard2 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:24 pm UTC

I would root both and use Titanium Backup to backup and restore the app data. I'm no expert, but I think installing the app on the Kindle from apk and then restoring just the the data from Titanium has a greater chance of success than restoring the entire app.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

A bit of googling suggests that you can install a different ROM on a kindle tablet, just as you would on android phones. Root the tablet, get a custom boot loader, put a zip file in the device, boot into the boot loader, install the zip.

You can install cyanogenmod, or stock android. The latter will effectively turn your device into a Nexus device, software-wise. XDA has info, the CM website as well. I am sure you can find more yet.

King Author

Postby King Author » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:49 pm UTC

Thanks, guys.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Return to “The Help Desk”