Fire Emblem Thread

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vahir

Fire Emblem Thread

Postby Vahir » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:13 am UTC

There doesn't seem to currently be a Fire Emblem thread. This desperately needs to be rectified.

Mostly, I want to see what you guys think of the new, yet un-named title, due to come out in 2016:

So, they seem to be doing the pokemon thing, and releasing two different versions. This actually looks like an interesting concept, though; What I miss most in the series is the moral ambiguity that just hasn't been there since PoR/RD. One thing that does bother me is its continuing use of anime-style animations and sprites, being the europhile that I am, but it's not really a deal breaker for me.

Thoughts?

Negated

Re: Fire Emblem Thread

Postby Negated » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

This sounds like Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. The version you purchase determines which set of enemies you fight against. Based on the rumors I heard, you can get the other storyline via DLC purchases. IMO It makes more sense to give you the choice to take a side in game. But I guess grabbing money is more important for Nintendo.

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:16 am UTC

Yay, a fire emblem thread!

I was honestly quite excited when I heard about the concept for this. You get to decide which side of the war you are on based on your unique position as an individual that has close ties to both nations. I thought that this could convey that neither side is inherently evil and that every side would have friendships, find love, have children?, lose lives and so on.

But then I saw the fire emblem 'choose your path trailer' which basically asked if you wanted the peace or war nation. Peace is represented by this bright shining nation where everyone dresses in white and the water is crystal clear. War is represented by dark shots of seedy streets where everything is filmed at night.

Suddenly I am not as confident that they will pull this concept off properly.

Also, if they are releasing 2 different versions, that means that the choice isn't made in the context of the game based on which side you think is just but is a meta decision based on which version you bought at the store. I find this to be an odd decision but it will mean that I'll end up buying 2 copies of the game, so I can see why they are doing that.

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:09 pm UTC

liveboy21 wrote:Yay, a fire emblem thread!

I was honestly quite excited when I heard about the concept for this. You get to decide which side of the war you are on based on your unique position as an individual that has close ties to both nations. I thought that this could convey that neither side is inherently evil and that every side would have friendships, find love, have children?, lose lives and so on.

But then I saw the fire emblem 'choose your path trailer' which basically asked if you wanted the peace or war nation. Peace is represented by this bright shining nation where everyone dresses in white and the water is crystal clear. War is represented by dark shots of seedy streets where everything is filmed at night.

Suddenly I am not as confident that they will pull this concept off properly.

Also, if they are releasing 2 different versions, that means that the choice isn't made in the context of the game based on which side you think is just but is a meta decision based on which version you bought at the store. I find this to be an odd decision but it will mean that I'll end up buying 2 copies of the game, so I can see why they are doing that.

Yeah, this does worry me. I really hope they don't make the game sickeningly idealistic like Awakening was. I think the best conflicts in the series were in the Tellius games; They dealt with serious issues that can't just be summed up as "These guys are evil, they invade, heroes fight them", instead being centered on things like racism and genocide. Especially considering that in RD

Spoiler:
It's the good guys who do the invading in the first place!

I can't help but feel that they're forced to make "kid-friendly" installements because it's on the 3DS. If that's true, it's tragic, because they've amply demonstrated that they CAN do good storylines when they want to.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:44 pm UTC

Completed an Awakening run. Played on Hard (Casual) without pairing up. Strove to keep Robin and Chrom out of the top three. Succeeded.

Lucina: 161 victories
Ricken: 140
Sully: 140
Nowi: 139
Miriel: 134
Kjelle: 134
Laurent: 122
Cordelia: 103
Yarne: 102
Robin: 102
Panne: 93
Severa: 91
Donnel: 90
Morgan: 89
Nah: 84
Kellam: 65
Chrom: 51

Did not expect Sully so high. Forgot about them. Largely vanished after obtaining Aegis (for Lucina and Kjelle). Marks the halfway point. Brought Ricken, Nowi, and Miriel almost every map possible. (Focused on children in the second half, admittedly. Tasked Ricken and Miriel with healing too.)

Funneled so many stat increase items into Robin. Forces either Chrom or Robin to land the final hit. Struck for seven damage (~66% hit chance) with Rexcalibur. Would have been worse with Chrom. (Comparison: Chrom's 24 Strength versus Robin's 39 Magic (with Magic Tonic's +2).)

Might try unused classes and characters next run (whenever that is). Never uses Snipers, Bow Knights, Tricksters, War Clerics, Falcon Knights, Griffon Riders, or Valkyries. Managed okay with the first Berserker ever (Yarne).
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:52 am UTC

Ran a character popularity poll one month ago. Found an analysis here.

Voting notes
- Permitted up to thirteen votes (one each day). May choose the same character multiple times.
- Offered a Random option.
- Planned to release wallpapers for the top ten male and female characters. Might have affected results, supposedly.
- Treated the same character from different games as separate options. (Example: Could select Path of Radiance Ike or Radiant Dawn Ike.) Did not combine votes.

Highlights
- Cast 638,644 votes (49.93%) between 522 male characters. Spread 640,514 votes (50.07%) across 269 female characters.
- Favored Awakening (24.52% of all votes) and Fates (22.77% of all votes) heavily. Did not stop Lyn from winning, however.
- Chose Male Robin over Female Robin (14,149 votes to 10,387 votes).
- Preferred Female Corrin over Male Corrin (19,599 votes to 7,691 votes).
- Ranked Anna fourteenth overall, after combining appearances.

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 pm UTC

Reran the character popularity poll. Wondered how perceptions changed with Echoes: Shadows over Valentia and Heroes.

Voting notes
- Permitted only seven votes this time (one each day). May still choose the same character all seven times.
- Split characters again, much to Marth’s dismay.
- Promised special versions of the top two of each gender in Heroes.
- Could not vote for previous winners or their alternates (such as Lucina and Masked Marth).

Important: Adjusted votes. Multiplied Round 2's votes to match Round 1's total. Rounded to the nearest whole number. Will use adjusted votes when referring to votes from here on out.

(Ignored characters not in both polls for the following individual character stats.)

Most votes lost (not in Heroes):
1. Severa (Awakening): -2407 votes
2. Lot (The Binding Blade): -2323 votes
3. Caeldori (Fates): -1106 votes
4. Kellam (Awakening): -1010 votes
5. Garcia (The Sacred Stones): -773 votes

Most votes gained (not in Heroes):
1. Leif (Thracia 776): +8288 votes
2. Kliff (Gaiden / Echoes: Shadows of Valentia): +6448 votes
3. Selkie (Fates): +5077 votes
4. Ishtar (Genealogy of the Holy War): +3428 votes
5. Morgan (female) (Awakening): +3199 votes

Most votes lost (currently in Heroes)
1. Tharja (Awakening): -15644 votes
2. Dorcas (The Blazing Blade): -10553 votes
3. Henry (Awakening): -8672 votes
4. Chrom (Awakening): -8592 votes
5. Donnel (Awakening): -8387 votes
(Notes the next two belonging to Awakening too.)

Most votes gained (currently in Heroes):
1. Celica (Gaiden / Echoes: Shadows of Valentia): +38116 votes
2. Ephraim (The Sacred Stones): +19699 votes
3. Alm (Gaiden / Echoes: Shadows of Valentia): +18968 votes
4. Reinhardt (Thracia 776): +17632 votes
5. Marth (Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light / Shadow Dragon): +16533 votes

Vote changes by game:
1. Gaiden / Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: +117582 votes
2. Heroes: +91183 votes
3. Thracia 776: +28570 votes
4. The Sacred Stones: +23820 votes
5. Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light / Shadow Dragon: +13114 votes
6. Genealogy of the Holy War: +9744 votes
7. Mystery of the Emblem / New Mystery of the Emblem: -1492 votes
8. Radiant Dawn: -12178 votes
9. The Binding Blade: -27039 votes
10. The Blazing Blade: -33570 votes
10. Path of Radiance: -34428 votes
11. Fates: -40371 votes
12. Awakening: -134945 votes

Proved excellent for Echoes. Suffered only two negative vote differences (Grieth’s -1 and Nomah’s -32). Blames most other rises and falls on a few characters. Examples: +17632 for Reinhardt and +8288 for Leif from Thracia 776. Accounts for 25920 of 28570 added votes. Fell by 34428 votes in Path of Radiance due to losing Ike’s 33871 votes.

Experienced more all-around losses in Fates and Awakening. Counts twenty-six characters in Fates and twenty-four in Awakening losing 1000 or more votes.

Notes a general push for beast characters. Gave +2438 votes to Panne (Awakening), +2272 for Ranulf (Path of Radiance), +2895 for Tibarn (Radiant Dawn), and +5077 to Selkie (Fates). Grabbed the top four positive vote differences in Path of Radiance.

Edit before posting: Planned to spoiler the full chart. Exceeded the maximum number of allowed characters by more than double. Attached the XLS instead. Will post it in text form (across two or three posts), if requested.

Edit2: Credits Elieson from Serenes Forest for Round 1's data. Saved a lot of time.
Edit3: Sighs. Discovered an issue. Lists two Finns...correctly. Messes up the adjusted votes mildly, however. (Adds maybe two votes to Hector, for comparison.) Plans to add charts in image form too. Please hold. (Kept the incorrect version attached for now.)
Edit4: Fixed it. Spoilered the images below.
Fire Emblem CYL Results.xls
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 34 times

Spoiler:
Click for larger images.
Shadow Dragon:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Shadow Dragon.png

Mystery of the Emblem:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Mystery Emblem Full.png

Gaiden / Echoes:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Gaiden Echoes.png

Genealogy of the Holy War:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Genealogy Full.png

Thracia 776:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Thracia 776 Fixed.png

The Binding Blade:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Binding Blade.png

The Blazing Blade:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Blazing Blade.png

The Sacred Stones:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Sacred Stones.png

Path of Radiance:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Path Radiance.png

Radiant Dawn:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Radiant Dawn Full.png

Awakening:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Awakening.png

Fates:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Fates Full.png

Heroes:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy FE Heroes.png
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy FE Heroes.png (11.12 KiB) Viewed 2648 times

Falling Characters in Fire Emblem Heroes:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Falling Characters.png

Rising Characters not in Fire Emblem Heroes:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Rising Characters.png

Game Breakdown:
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Game Breakdown.png

Beast Units. (Left out dragons and potential beast units, such as Morgan and Kana.)
Fire Emblem CYL Fancy Beast Surge.png
Last edited by Deva on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:28 pm UTC

I play the one with the axe throwing barbarian warrior guy, the two knightly commander dudes on horses, huge knights with spears on chains, a lady that was afraid of men who rode a pegasus... and two siblings, a male and female, who exchange a ring or rings like they gonna get married, um, what?
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:49 pm UTC

Sounds like The Blazing Blade for Game Boy Advance. Recognized Florina from that description. Assumes Ninian and Nils for the siblings. Uses a ring (a keepsake of their mother) to Dance or Sing. Paired Ninian and Eliwood together, though.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:43 am UTC

I... see. I happy it wasn't the siblings that were pair together. Anyways, I love, love Florina. Pegasus Knights were like: They can fly really, really faraway on the maps, wherever you wanna land them, on mountains or rough terrains. They got lances. Forgot what lances strong and weak against though? Swords strong against axes weak against maybe possibly? Anyways, they got lances, they can fly faraway on the maps and land anywhere and Florina was just. Beautiful, pretty, pretty again and her fears about men amuses me for hours and hours. I love, love that game and that's two now three loves so it's extra super lovely ha-ha. <3 :)
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

Return to “Gaming”