High Efficiency Washing Machine Rinsing

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sardia

High Efficiency Washing Machine Rinsing

Postby sardia » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:48 pm UTC

I just got a top loading new washer, and after several loads, I've noticed a pattern that the rinse water always seems cloudy. Is that normal? Or am I putting in too much detergent?

Separately, does anyone know if the detergent box installed at the top is suppose to have a thin layer of water in it? I thought it was suppose to completely drain via siphoning? I checked the levelness, and it's slightly tilted back to the wall. That's the direction it drains in, so that seems ok.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: High Efficiency Washing Machine Rinsing

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:57 pm UTC

Are you using HE detergent? Because you're going to use a hell of a lot less of it than you would regular.

Myself, I use those pods and don't even bother with the drawer unless I'm bleaching something. That said, it seems there's always a little water in there after a load. I always assumed it was a combination siphon/flush.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Are you using HE detergent? Because you're going to use a hell of a lot less of it than you would regular.

Myself, I use those pods and don't even bother with the drawer unless I'm bleaching something. That said, it seems there's always a little water in there after a load. I always assumed it was a combination siphon/flush.

Yes to HE, and I'm slowly learning to cut back. It still feels wrong to use so little. From what I read, the siphon doesn't work without an additional water source to power the initial movement. They just use siphons to minimize moving parts.
Won't the pods have the same problem, too much detergent for a given load? I requested a new dispenser, hopefully LG doesn't give me too much hassle for a warranty call. Ideally they mail it to me, no questions asked.

dg61

Postby dg61 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 pm UTC

The pods do have the advantage that you won't accidentally overuse I suppose.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:09 pm UTC

dg61 wrote:The pods do have the advantage that you won't accidentally overuse I suppose.

Pods are 1 per medium load. What is a medium load defined as?
The instructions in the manual makes more sense, though it is aggravating. It says measure the same amount of everything and check for musty smell and soap on clothes. Then reduce as needed. Apparently, I'm suppose to measure my laundry by weight.
This is not helped by the various detergents sitting in the laundry room. Parents gifted me 3 opened detergent bottles, all different brands. If they visit again, I'll need to show them how much detergent to use.

Update on dispenser. LG refused to send me a new dispenser without a tech to check out the washer first. Now I gotta leave work early to make their appointment window. WTH is with the 1-5pm window.
Last edited by sardia on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:28 am UTC

People are awful about relaying problems. The device could literally say “Problem 14:Water Line Clog” and they’ll just report that it beeps at them and doesn’t start.

So the tech has no real idea what they’re walking in to. Could be a 15 minutes fix, could be 4 hours.

Hence, younas the third appointment of the day, get 1-5 as your window.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:15 am UTC

sardia, what did the tech say about the dispenser? Mine always has some water in it after use, so I thought that's just how it was, now I'm wondering about it.
sardia wrote:The instructions in the manual makes more sense, though it is aggravating. It says measure the same amount of everyone and check for musty smell and soap on clothes. Then reduce as needed. Apparently, I'm suppose to measure my laundry by weight.
I think the sensor weighs the load to determine how much water to add, so the weight will determine how much detergent you need to use.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:33 am UTC

bessie wrote:sardia, what did the tech say about the dispenser? Mine always has some water in it after use, so I thought that's just how it was, now I'm wondering about it.
sardia wrote:The instructions in the manual makes more sense, though it is aggravating. It says measure the same amount of everyone and check for musty smell and soap on clothes. Then reduce as needed. Apparently, I'm suppose to measure my laundry by weight.
I think the sensor weighs the load to determine how much water to add, so the weight will determine how much detergent you need to use.

The tech came by with the wrong part. I showed him the part that was supposedly defective, and he ordered that to be replaced. It's a simple rip and replace since the dispenser is designed to come out. He didn't say much diagnostics stuff, just confirming what part I wanted replaced. The part itself doesn't show when it was made, I'd have to look up the part number and call up the right supplier. It's a slightly different design, the siphon is smaller, but also undamaged. (old one showed signs of stressed plastic). It's ok to have a little water leftover, but not too much. (siphons work by moving a continuous stream of water after the initial push from the pipe.) I test my dispensers by pouring water from a pitcher into them to see how well they empty the tray afterwards.
One caveat to the water by weight sensor, my washer doesn't tell me how heavy a load is. I just toss in a single pod, or fill it to the lowest level 1. If clothes are still dirty, I'll do pretreating and other tricks.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:23 pm UTC

sardia wrote:One caveat to the water by weight sensor, my washer doesn't tell me how heavy a load is. I just toss in a single pod, or fill it to the lowest level 1. If clothes are still dirty, I'll do pretreating and other tricks.
I don’t like this feature a lot. Or not so much that I don’t like it, but I would like the option to selectively bypass it. I find that if I try to wash something that is not too heavy and doesn’t compress when it is wet, like a pillow, the washer doesn’t fill with enough water to cover the pillow. If your clothes aren’t getting clean, check and make sure they are all getting wet (my washer has a transparent lid so I can see if I need more water). Clothes are usually OK, but I only fill it about 2/3 because of the water thing. So much for having a high efficiency washer to save on energy and water.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:07 pm UTC

Try the comforter or bedding setting. Assuming you have that. Otherwise you'll have to fiddle with it by pouring extra water to trick the sensor.
It's not a matter of getting clean, as avoiding excess detergent use.

Return to “General”