Finding a PCIE to SATA power cable

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mark_Cangila

Finding a PCIE to SATA power cable

Postby Mark_Cangila » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:22 am UTC

My computer is about 3 years old now. I recently bought a new hard drive, but realized that the only free power port on my SATA power cable was broken from when my CD-ROM broke. This cable goes from connecting to a PCIE port on my PSU to connecting to a standard SATA power port. My PSU is a PSH600V-D from Spire. Does anyone know where I could find another one of these cables? My PSU doesn't have a Molex port.

Sizik

Re: Finding a PCIE to SATA power cable

Postby Sizik » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:46 am UTC

So you have a modular PSU, with detachable cables? If so, the ports on the back aren't necessarily the same pinout as PCIe power connectors.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:21 am UTC

Oh. I think it's modular. Not quite sure. It comes out of the case, which I assume is what you mean. I'm actually not sure about the pinout, but I can't find anything about the PSU online.

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:34 pm UTC

Sizik wrote:So you have a modular PSU, with detachable cables? If so, the ports on the back aren't necessarily the same pinout as PCIe power connectors.

Where could I find what pinout it is?

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:30 pm UTC

I found the cable I need: 5-pin S-ATA Connector to S-ATA power. It looks like a 6 pin PCIE but one of the pins isn't there on purpose. Where could I find that?

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:26 pm UTC

Mark_Cangila wrote:This cable goes from connecting to a PCIE port on my PSU to connecting to a standard SATA power port.

That's NOT a PCIE port. You have a modular power supply and you need to buy a spare-cable from your power-supply. You are probably making a very, very very common mistake and might blow up a component if you continue.

If you have pcie-looking ports in your PSU, then you have a modular power supply. ONLY the cables manufactured by your PSU company are compatible. No one else knows how that thing is wired up. There are plenty of people who buy the wrong cables, force them in, and then break computers.

I've never heard of a "PSH600V-D" before, and various search engines give me no results... aside from this thread.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:42 pm UTC

I managed to get the piece of plastic out of my wire, so this is a non-issue. Also, it is actually the NSP-PSH600v

Return to “Hardware”