2030: "Voting Software"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shamino

Re: 2030: "Voting Software"

Postby Shamino » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:57 pm UTC

Krenn wrote:And the best-paid civil engineers have been designing nuclear reactors and skyscrapers for the possibility of "accidental" small- or medium plane crashes for a while now. Ever since the 1940's, I think. The Twin Towers could have been a lot worse, really.

Definitely. When I look at 9/11 I see (in addition to all of the obvious things that everybody sees) quite a marvel of engineering in that these towers - after such massive impacts and with thousands of gallons of burning jet fuel everywhere - managed to remain standing as long as they did - one for over 45 minutes, and the other for nearly 90 minutes. Which was enough time for everybody below the point of impact to evacuate.

Could the buildings have been built in a way to remain standing in the face of such an attack? Maybe, but probably not with 1970's technology.

hetas

Postby hetas » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:48 pm UTC

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/def-con-18-kids-young-challenged-hack-election/story?id=57122727

“These websites are so easy to hack we couldn’t give them to adult hackers -- they’d be laughed off the stage," Braun told ABC News. "They thought hacking a voter website was interesting 20 years ago. We had to give it to kids to actually make it challenging."

Quote's about result websites not about voting machines, but they did hack into the voting machines also. Some of which were running Windows 2000 or XP.

Online voting would probably be safer than using some outdatet custom hardware. Estonia is doing electronic voting I think I do believe it'll happen here in Finland at some point.

There's problems in every system. I think online voting can be made safe enough. The big problem is that large scale vote tampering would be possible if somebody did hack the system. At the moment we use mail votes and paper ballots on the actual election day. It would be quite hard to influence a large amount of votes without somebody noticing.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:27 pm UTC

Shamino wrote:
Krenn wrote:And the best-paid civil engineers have been designing nuclear reactors and skyscrapers for the possibility of "accidental" small- or medium plane crashes for a while now. Ever since the 1940's, I think. The Twin Towers could have been a lot worse, really.

Definitely. When I look at 9/11 I see (in addition to all of the obvious things that everybody sees) quite a marvel of engineering in that these towers - after such massive impacts and with thousands of gallons of burning jet fuel everywhere - managed to remain standing as long as they did - one for over 45 minutes, and the other for nearly 90 minutes. Which was enough time for everybody below the point of impact to evacuate.

Could the buildings have been built in a way to remain standing in the face of such an attack? Maybe, but probably not with 1970's technology.

The reason the South Tower lasted so much shorter was because it was hit lower and closer to the centerline; the lower hit meant more building above the weak spot, and closer to the centerline meant the impact took out more columns in the central shaft.

In one of the books on 9/11 I read, a structural engineer opined that if either building had gotten hit even lower and dead center, they might have collapsed immediately, i.e. they would have been weakened so much that they wouldn't be able to support their own weight, even without the heat from the burning fuel weakening the structure further.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:52 pm UTC

Shamino wrote:Definitely. When I look at 9/11 I see (in addition to all of the obvious things that everybody sees) quite a marvel of engineering in that these towers - after such massive impacts and with thousands of gallons of burning jet fuel everywhere - managed to remain standing as long as they did - one for over 45 minutes, and the other for nearly 90 minutes.
Those were my thoughts at the time. I was in the engineering building but it still wouldn't make a useful conversation point.

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:55 pm UTC

marsilies wrote:Plus, airplane and elevator engineers don't have to deal with people deliberately trying to tamper and break them from thousands of miles away.

Exactly. Imagine everyone in the world with a door had access to your front door. How long do you think your lock would stay unpicked?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”