Mobile browsers and getting the comics to load

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

RetroGamer

Mobile browsers and getting the comics to load

Postby RetroGamer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:00 pm UTC

I know this is an issue that has probably been addressed before, but I was wondering why the comics on the xkcd site won’t load on mobile browsers?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Mobile browsers and getting the comics to load

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:06 pm UTC

They load fine.

What exact problem are you experiencing?
Spoiler:
1AC2CE7E-F4BC-4AC6-B2A3-220BCC7668EA.png
Mobile Chrome

5849BFB9-E62A-4898-9711-3C04EEA50A82.png
Mobile Safari
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

RetroGamer

Postby RetroGamer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:19 pm UTC

I’m using safari as well, instead of an image of the comic, I get the title of the comic with a black border (how do I post photos?)

RetroGamer

Postby RetroGamer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:22 pm UTC

066A9726-3E98-42FD-B30D-9316B6A0F97C.png
see?

28450922-6102-4C63-9CC3-C640DAA8CE66.jpeg

HES

Postby HES » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:33 pm UTC

Have you tried m.xkcd.com?
He/Him/His Image

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:47 pm UTC

Is xkcd the only site where images do not load?

Are you on WiFi?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

RetroGamer

Postby RetroGamer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 pm UTC

Yes, my WiFi’s on, and yes it’s to my knowlage the only website that won’t do images, maybe Wikipedia I can’t remember

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:15 pm UTC

Sorry, I should have clarified that statement about the WiFi. Though - turn it off and see if that fixes it.

What I was asking was "Are you connected to a corporate or other network that provides it's own DNS solution and may be using the DNS to filter out undesirable websites, as such the server used to host xkcd images is caught in the filter and rejected even though the base site is loading?"

I'm also assuming you've rebooted your phone.

At this point - I see no reason to assume the xkcd site has anything to do with the problem. It's your hardware. Given that you mentioned Safari I'm assuming it's an iOS device. I'm also writing a lot of this with the assumption that it's a phone or otherwise has cellular data. If it's an iPad without cellular (Or if you installed Safari on an Android for... reasons.) then some of the solutions may change.

So... what kinda device you got? What version of the OS is it running? You try any other browsers to see if it's just a Safari issue?

What happens when you open this link?

RetroGamer

Postby RetroGamer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:48 pm UTC

Network lost. I’m assuming it’s the web filter, thanks for helping

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:47 pm UTC

Yeah, if you're getting Network Lost with that link (a direct link to the image of the then-current comic, still working on my end) then it's your end.

If it's a phone or other device with cellular, you can try disconnecting from WiFi and connecting to the cellular network and see if that fixes it.

If it's a school or work provided device, though, then it's also possible they've added filtering software, and even switching to cellular won't fix it.

Since you state you've got a web filter, I'm fairly confident you've identified the problem - that filter. Whether or not you can open it up for the site or otherwise get around it is... not really something we can help you with.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”