2149: "Alternate Histories"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

orthogon

Re: 2149: "Alternate Histories"

Postby orthogon » Fri May 17, 2019 1:15 pm UTC

Update: the Wikipedia page on English Determiners lists every other, which is more or less a synonym for alternate in the British usage. So it seems my guess last night had some merit.

Interestingly though, every other treats the items individually (like every, requiring a singular noun), whereas alternate treats them as a group (like all, requiring a plural):

Alternate stripes are black <-> All stripes are black.
Every other stripe is black <-> Every stripe is black.

(Let's not worry about how they can be stripes if they're all black!)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri May 17, 2019 4:59 pm UTC

They could be stripes against some solid background, e.g. in martial arts you will often have a solid-color belt with some number of stripes of a different color on it. A red belt with four black stripes has a red chunk at the end, a black stripe, some more red, a black stripe, some more red, a black stripe, some more red, a black stripe, and then red for the rest of the belt. The three red spaces between the four black stripes don't count as stripes.

Also, is there a determinant that means the other set of alternate/every-other items? Like, I stay with my girlfriend every other weekend, but then she stays with me every.... other... other weekend. One weekend down there, one weekend up here, back and forth. But I haven't found a non-awkward way of saying that, without that "other other".
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Fri May 17, 2019 5:57 pm UTC

svenman wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:So in a pattern of blue and black stripes, the blue and black are alternate colors, because they alternate. But a pattern of white and gold stripes isn't an alternate pattern to that blue and black pattern (unless there is a still further pattern of blue-and-black, then white-and-gold, then blue-and-black again, etc), it's an alternative pattern.

But what if, when you look at a picture of the pattern, your brain switches back and forth between interpreting it as either white and gold or blue and black?

I'd call that oscillating interpretations.

Pfhorrest wrote:Also, is there a determinant that means the other set of alternate/every-other items? Like, I stay with my girlfriend every other weekend, but then she stays with me every.... other... other weekend. One weekend down there, one weekend up here, back and forth. But I haven't found a non-awkward way of saying that, without that "other other".

Hmm... "My girlfriend and I stay at each-other's places on alternating weekends"?
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

lllllllllwith10ls

Postby lllllllllwith10ls » Fri May 17, 2019 8:49 pm UTC

Can we talk about the comic here?
mom fapathi

dzamie

Postby dzamie » Fri May 17, 2019 9:09 pm UTC

lllllllllwith10ls wrote:Can we talk about the comic here?

Sure.
So, in my alternate history where Germany won WWII, people use the words "alternate" and "alternative" in easy-to-understand, consistent, and logical fashions. Though, never all three fashions at once.

Code: Select all

:Clrhome
:while 1
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16),randInt(0,9))
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16)," ")
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16)," ")
:End

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”