2189: "Old Game Worlds"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sotanaht

2189: "Old Game Worlds"

Postby sotanaht » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:25 am UTC

title: "Ok, how many coins for a cinnamon roll?"

Clearly Randall hasn't played Animal Crossing.
Last edited by sotanaht on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Solra Bizna

Re: 2189: "Old Game Worlds"

Postby Solra Bizna » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:51 am UTC

I was pleasantly surprised to see Escape Velocity in that list. I've been playing the heck out of Endless Sky, an Open Source successor. Weird to see EV lumped in with Super Mario Brothers...

JDGA

Postby JDGA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:05 am UTC

Wow, this touches on something to me - that it's really sad to me that with most new games if you come back to them later they won't be the same, and with "always online" being standard these days many games won't be there at all.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:09 am UTC

I heard that King Bowser was running a cozy, little dictatorship in Eastern Europe somewhere. Or maybe it was a Burger King.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:57 am UTC

What are the year ranges on those three game categories? In my memory Super Mario 3 is way older than Escape Velocity, but I don't know how accurate that memory is and time flows weirdly between different ages.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:29 am UTC

This is a game that should happen:
hulaj_mario.png
hulaj_mario.png (7.71 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Solra Bizna

Postby Solra Bizna » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:36 am UTC

JDGA wrote:Wow, this touches on something to me - that it's really sad to me that with most new games if you come back to them later they won't be the same, and with "always online" being standard these days many games won't be there at all.

I'm already sad that the version of Evolve my friends and I loved so much is gone forever. In fact, it didn't even last an entire year.

Pfhorrest wrote:What are the year ranges on those three game categories? In my memory Super Mario 3 is way older than Escape Velocity, but I don't know how accurate that memory is and time flows weirdly between different ages.

SMB3 came out in Japan in 1988 and in the USA in 1990. Escape Velocity came out in 1996.

Yat

Postby Yat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:09 am UTC

I am weirdly satisfied that KSP, a 8 years old game, is classified in "new games".
But now, Link's awakening from 93 is in "very old games" whereas mario kart from 92 is in "old games". And then, I remembered https://xkcd.com/606/

This explains that.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 am UTC

JDGA wrote:Wow, this touches on something to me - that it's really sad to me that with most new games if you come back to them later they won't be the same, and with "always online" being standard these days many games won't be there at all.

Doesn't even have to be a server shutdown. I'll probably never be able to play broodwar or UT2k4 the same way I did in the past. The games are still there and the online still works perfectly well, but without people to play with in the manner that I did and would want to play, the games are basically gone through no fault of the companies that own them.

LtPowers

Postby LtPowers » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:12 pm UTC

Solra Bizna wrote:I was pleasantly surprised to see Escape Velocity in that list. I've been playing the heck out of Endless Sky, an Open Source successor. Weird to see EV lumped in with Super Mario Brothers...

Thank you for this. I was just lamenting (after seeing it in the strip) that I couldn't play EV anymore.

Sadly, it looks like Ambrosia went out of business entirely a couple of years ago. They were local to me, too.

Powers &8^]

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:34 pm UTC

I'm not the only one who has never, ever heard of Russian Subway Dogs before, am I? It is about a year old at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKpMhPXv-s

LtPowers wrote:Sadly, it looks like Ambrosia went out of business entirely a couple of years ago.
Did they? It was amazing they lasted as long as they did. It was baffling that they never tried to do something with an IP that remained so enduringly recognizable despite its obscurity. Someone needs to get the Nightdive people on this.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:21 pm UTC

Yat wrote:I am weirdly satisfied that KSP, a 8 years old game, is classified in "new games".
But now, Link's awakening from 93 is in "very old games" whereas mario kart from 92 is in "old games". And then, I remembered https://xkcd.com/606/

This explains that.

Yeah I was concerned about this.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:36 pm UTC

I don't think it's even possible to get any of Champie's pinball games compiled for modern MacOSes. AFAIK they still run on Windows; no DRM locks.

OTOH, the physical Pin2K series of tables should diediedie.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:59 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I don't think it's even possible to get any of Champie's pinball games compiled for modern MacOSes. AFAIK they still run on Windows; no DRM locks.

Seems there's a remake of Timeshock, but I guess they didn't get around to doing anything with the others.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:21 pm UTC

JDGA wrote:Wow,

Great example.

It has changed so much that now they are selling the old version as a completely different experience.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:53 pm UTC

I once had a dream where I found myself walking around what I eventually recognized as Riven.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:I once had a dream where I found myself walking around what I eventually recognized as Riven.

That reminds me of "Pyst", a parody game that ponders what Myst Island might become after being overrun by too many clueless adventurers. It is a poorly-regarded product, despite the involvement of John Goodman.
https://www.pcgamer.com/after-myst-ther ... n-goodman/

suso

Postby suso » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:37 pm UTC

"Sorry Mario, but this is a vaping store now."
Imagine theres no signatures....

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:59 pm UTC

Yat wrote:I am weirdly satisfied that KSP, a 8 years old game, is classified in "new games".
But now, Link's awakening from 93 is in "very old games" whereas mario kart from 92 is in "old games".

Link’s Awakening is an eight-bit game, while Mario Kart is a sixteen-bit game. “Gut feeling” tells us that eight-bit games ought to be older than sixteen-bit games, despite the transition not being synchronized between platforms.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:03 pm UTC

Or maybe Randall thinks only the 3D ones count. Which is fair, honestly, since it's a very 3D sort of game.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

abridgerToNi

Postby abridgerToNi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 pm UTC

this big time gives me classic xkcd vibes

kdb

Postby kdb » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:50 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I heard that King Bowser was running a cozy, little dictatorship in Eastern Europe somewhere. Or maybe it was a Burger King.

No, he took over Nintendo of America.
“Computers: a way to take three hours to do a three minute job in three seconds.” – ucim, 2019

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 pm UTC

I use PCem to run Windows 98 SE. I have the Ultima Collection which is Akelebeth through Serpent's Isle, the Forgotten Realms Archive with Pool Of Radiance with the original DRM, Myst, Riven, Exile and quite a few others. I have never finished any of the games for fear of what would happen to the inhabitants if I did. I wish I could take a screen shot of my start menu. Sigh.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:52 pm UTC

kdb wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:I heard that King Bowser was running a cozy, little dictatorship in Eastern Europe somewhere. Or maybe it was a Burger King.

No, he took over Nintendo of America.

His villainy knows no end.

TV4Fun

Postby TV4Fun » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:24 am UTC

Yeah, no one show Randall NES Remix.

But seriously, there is plenty of old content, games, online, and otherwise that is just no more. The games on his list are like monuments, deliberately preserved for their historical significance.
$_[0] wrote:rule 2:
Once a relationship ends, physical access to all relevant machinery is denied.

mortimermcmirestinks

Postby mortimermcmirestinks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:22 am UTC

ijuin wrote:
But now, Link's awakening from 93 is in "very old games" whereas mario kart from 92 is in "old games".

Link’s Awakening is an eight-bit game, while Mario Kart is a sixteen-bit game. “Gut feeling” tells us that eight-bit games ought to be older than sixteen-bit games, despite the transition not being synchronized between platforms.

I just thought he meant one of the newer Mario Kart games. If he was talking about the OG, it was called Super Mario Kart.

Anyway, I just want to point out something interesting:

In the game Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one of the stages is called Mushroomy Kingdom and looks like this.

The creator of Smash Bros, Masahiro Sakurai, stated that "he wanted to create the impression that the kingdom had been abandoned since its initial appearance in 1985, 23 years prior to the release of Brawl." First thing I thought of when the latest comic dropped.

dbosst

Postby dbosst » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:49 am UTC

I can't think of many games show that consider the consequences of the main actor's choices and what the world looks like after. Terranigma is one that does so.

dbosst

Postby dbosst » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:55 am UTC

dbosst wrote:I can't think of many games show that consider the consequences of the main actor's choices and what the world looks like after.

Terranigma is one that does so.

Here is an example from a quick google search, but is only a small example among many.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:53 pm UTC

Just curious... are there any single-player games that are like what Randall describes, where if you come back to the game at a later real-world date, the in-game environment has changed, as if time had passed in the world while you were gone? I can't think of any. I mean, there are games that get modified over time with later releases / updates, and multiplayer games can sometimes be modified by player actions in the games... but games that just by default age, with respect to real-world time?

It's actually not a bad idea for developers, to encourage people to pick up the game again years later.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:02 pm UTC

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:The creator of Smash Bros, Masahiro Sakurai, stated that "he wanted to create the impression that the kingdom had been abandoned since its initial appearance in 1985, 23 years prior to the release of Brawl." First thing I thought of when the latest comic dropped.
Huh. Never occurred to me they were going for abandonment and decay – possibly because it's accompanied by such a cheery, upbeat piano remix of the original theme. I suppose I would say it felt like they were showing it as some kind of stately old monument. But I see it now.

KarenRei wrote:Just curious... are there any single-player games that are like what Randall describes, where if you come back to the game at a later real-world date, the in-game environment has changed, as if time had passed in the world while you were gone? I can't think of any. I mean, there are games that get modified over time with later releases / updates, and multiplayer games can sometimes be modified by player actions in the games... but games that just by default age, with respect to real-world time?
As mentioned above, Animal Crossing certainly qualifies. Leave your town along for too long and it may become overgrown with weeds and its citizens may move away.

Rowen Morland

Postby Rowen Morland » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:27 pm UTC

I would really like to see this as an artistic concept. Like a series of paintings depicting broken down game worlds. If anyone is familiar with this already existing please link me up?

Meanwhile this inspired me to find and play the first computer game I played, Zarch (also known as Lander).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbENFcmurbo

nomaduk

Postby nomaduk » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:47 pm UTC

YOU ARE IN A MAZE OF TWISTY LITTLE PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE.

go south

YOU TRIP OVER THE ROOMBA AND SPILL YOUR STARBUCKS LATTE.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:36 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:Just curious... are there any single-player games that are like what Randall describes, where if you come back to the game at a later real-world date, the in-game environment has changed, as if time had passed in the world while you were gone? I can't think of any. I mean, there are games that get modified over time with later releases / updates, and multiplayer games can sometimes be modified by player actions in the games... but games that just by default age, with respect to real-world time?

I remember a game some 35 years ago that had options to play as an adult or a minor, which asked a pop-culture question or two when you fired it up meant to determine whether you were over eighteen. If I still had it and fired it up, the same question would now determine whether you were over fifty.

hetas

Postby hetas » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:I remember a game some 35 years ago that had options to play as an adult or a minor, which asked a pop-culture question or two when you fired it up meant to determine whether you were over eighteen.

Ah, Leisure Suit Larry? Pretty much the only game I have nostalgia over. I fire up the DOS emulator once a decade and play through the game. I might take an extra turn this decade...

I didn't know much English when I first played that game on the Amiga 500. Had to get my older sister to translate. I think she didn't tell everything that was going on. You couldn't get very far without English because you had to type in all the commands even though it was a graphics game, not an text adventure.

The first Monkey Island game gets close on the nostalgia scale. I wonder if I could find that to play on the dos box.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:57 pm UTC

hetas wrote:The first Monkey Island game gets close on the nostalgia scale. I wonder if I could find that to play on the dos box.
Yup, it's on GOG and Steam and so on. It even has full voice work and lets you switch back and forth from fancy redrawn graphics whenever you want.

jeanrenaud

Postby jeanrenaud » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:17 am UTC

Why isn't there Commodore 64 games ? #jumpman #boulderdash #LOGO

We were buying magazines with "games to program ourselves", like 15 pages of BASIC code, and after several hours, we got a mistype somewhere in the "Data" instructions and the game won't work.

serutan

Postby serutan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 am UTC

nomaduk wrote:YOU ARE IN A MAZE OF TWISTY LITTLE PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE.

go south

YOU TRIP OVER THE ROOMBA AND SPILL YOUR STARBUCKS LATTE.

"Your army destroyed, enemy army has 1 hits left."

And after confusing the O for the X or * at 1AM,

"BASTARDO! You attacked your own city! Your impertinent attacking army was liquidated."

Also, I have a soft spot for the original Duke Nukem (1990 DOS scroller).
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:58 am UTC

It reminds me of this story from youtube commenter 00WARTHERAPY00 back in 2014:

Well, when i was 4, my dad bought a trusty XBox. you know, the first, ruggedy, blocky one from 2001. we had tons and tons and tons of fun playing all kinds of games together - until he died, when i was just 6.

i couldnt touch that console for 10 years.

but once i did, i noticed something.

we used to play a racing game, Rally Sports Challenge. actually pretty awesome for the time it came.

and once i started meddling around... i found a GHOST.

literaly.

you know, when a time race happens, that the fastest lap so far gets recorded as a ghost driver? yep, you guessed it - his ghost still rolls around the track today.

and so i played and played, and played, untill i was almost able to beat the ghost. until one day i got ahead of it, i surpassed it, and...

i stopped right in front of the finish line, just to ensure i wouldnt delete it.
Bliss.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:06 am UTC

hetas wrote:
da Doctah wrote:I remember a game some 35 years ago that had options to play as an adult or a minor, which asked a pop-culture question or two when you fired it up meant to determine whether you were over eighteen.

Ah, Leisure Suit Larry? Pretty much the only game I have nostalgia over. I fire up the DOS emulator once a decade and play through the game. I might take an extra turn this decade...

Not sure if LSL had a PG-13 mode. Might have been Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

Wybaar

Postby Wybaar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:58 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:This is a game that should happen:
hulaj_mario.png

Super Mario Maker 2 does include the Koopa Troopa Car which you could kind of treat as Mario's mobility scooter ...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”