Proud To Be Miss Cellanean!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Proud To Be Miss Cellanean!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:29 am UTC

What makes you proud to be from wherever you are?

Now, I don't want this to devolve into a "My Country Is Better" / "Patriotism Is For Retards" tread... we're all friends here. Just show us what's cool about where you are. NOTE FOR AMERICANS: Maybe go for your State, since your country has a lot of cool junk.

Our National Anthem
Our Natural Beauty
Our Two Major Exports

NOTE: I may post more serious ones later.

Sissi

Re: Proud To Be Miscellanean!

Postby Sissi » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:50 am UTC

That's difficult question to answer. There's nothing here in Texas, or America, that really makes me proud to be from here. But...
From Texas:
Butthole Surfers - Who Was in My Room Last Night?
BHS - BBQ Pope

And from (the United States of) America, herself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJMZQw7Gyc
David Allan Coe - You Never Even Called Me by My Name

It's late, and I love music. Goodnight!
I turned my smilies off.
ParanoydAndroid wrote:I'd like to keep my sexuality firmly ambiguous in their minds

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:55 am UTC

San Diego

'nuff said
*waggles eyebrows*

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:02 am UTC

Go Illinois, because Abe Lincoln can kick anybody's ass.
From the grave.

Also, I thought Canada's only export was cold fronts.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:15 am UTC

Australia day has just passed. I am rather proud to be Australian. But seeing people all flag waving and tattooed weirds me out a little.

Hmm, reasons?

Australia has some downright awesome animals. We have Platypodes. We have Kangaroos. And my favourite, the Kookaburra. A bird known as the Laughing Jackass.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:16 am UTC

England's most significant lasting export of which I am aware appears to have been the English language. We have a couple of very old universities, too, but I don't speak of them because I didn't get in.

We do have a particular penchant for drinking tea that I like to identify with.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:17 am UTC

And opium there for a while
*waggles eyebrows*

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:06 am UTC

I love the fact that everything thing in Australia stands a chance of dealing damage. And we may just be the best sporting nation ever (per capita).
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:39 am UTC

It's Late, but I think I get to say shit like This Thingy:

and This other Thingy:

and for kicks I'll throw in this third, related thingy

to be even more cliched.

At four in the morning I still think we should draw up a new one of that third thing, but it'll probably pass in the morning.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:46 am UTC

We have this guy as our Governer

Our governer can beat up your governer!
*waggles eyebrows*

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:10 am UTC

in ur beanz makin u eveel

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

Flag: Union Jack. Possibly the most effectively combined flag ever.
Native languages:
English! Booyah! No other country can say that except the ones we created *dances*
Exports:
English language (we did get around)
English accents (and thus loosening up of hot babes)
USA ass-kissing. Bloody damnit Gordon.
High-heels that fold into flats so that one can drive without committing vehicular homicide.
High-pitched women, and the people that mock them. Monty Python.
Bagpipe music.

Awe-inspiring (and not so awe-inspiring):
*Man and his human pet of a girlfriend kicked off a bus by an insensitive prick of a busman. Busman is actually considered for firing. Unlike in America, where he'd be praised for saying no to the heathen. :wink:
*Little girls that say, and I quote: "Oh shut up da~ddy you silly ba~sta'd you."
*A queen that refuses to die. Zombie Queen! Brains~
*Queen. The band.
*Glasgow smiles. :shock:
*Apparently, people can kill each other with things other than guns. We still have some nice homicides without them. In fact, I would go so far as to say we're more creative about it for lack of guns.
*Shaun of the Dead, and every other movie that group makes. Before the rest of you get it. Bitches.
*A royal line that American students have to study (is this information right?)

Okay, that's enough.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

I have never, ever studied the British royal family.

Dunno, i get the vauge impression that politics are involved, but i don't quite see how...
*waggles eyebrows*

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Well, lets see. We have a Games Laboratory at uni. I think that's good enough. We also have the lowest population of raptors per square kilometre of any inhabited country, as such things are directly proportional to human populations.

We also get a big chunk of ice in Antartica. I reckon this means that when all you petrol heads finish burning all your oil and melt it, you have to reimburse us. Now to check the value of ice, and the volume of ice per person in australia.

Note: Research on these entries is extremely minimal.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:*A royal line that American students have to study (is this information right?)

Well, up until George III, at least. After that they stop caring. And the only time Britain is really mentioned again is the War of 1812, then WWI and WWII.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Hoags

Postby Hoags » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:*Glasgow smiles. :shock:

The idea of those things gives me the creeps. Blleeuufth!

I'd like to nominate Rule, Britannia! for addition to the list.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Letsee... crazy shit of Kentucky..

Edgar Cayce was born here.
You know those photographs of signs you see all over the internet of Big Bone Lick! This way!... yeah...
Mammoth Cave, the most elongated cave system in the world, if that's what you're in to.
There's the Jefferson Davis Monument, which is goddamn freaky to see if you aren't expecting it, because it looks a lot like another monument.
Tobacco. And lots of it.
Crazy accent mishmash. Southern drawls plus Northern nasality. Usually not on the same person.... usually.
Mohammad Ali's from here.
Papa John, and KFC.... though really, it's also Taco Bell, Long John Silvers, Pizza Hut, and A&W... except apparently the Canadian A&W is no longer affiliated. Or something.

Sissi wrote:That's difficult question to answer. There's nothing here in Texas, or America, that really makes me proud to be from here.

I assume you're unfamiliar with the works of Irishman Garth Ennis then.

...that's actually just an excuse to post that link.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

• Terry Pratchett
  • Douglas Adams
I do think that both would be quite different writers if they had a different cultural background. Then again, maybe it's because they have the same one as I do that I appreciate them so much.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Well we (the Welsh!) have a pretty spiffy country. It's got rolling green hills (cue "The Green Green Grass of Home"), mountains with snow on them in the winter, some of the best surfing beaches in Britain (also in winter) and sheep by the bunchload. We've got our own language (Welsh!) that Tolkien himself said was the most beautiful language he'd heard. We've got lots of poets who write or wrote in Welsh and/or English (Dylan Thomas is the most well-known) and we are renowned for our songsmanship. Seriously, go to a rugby match and almost every single person in the crowd will know all the words to the anthem, as well as all the words to Calon Lan, Bread of Heaven (both the English and Welsh lyrics) and Sospan Fach (my personal favourite). Our team isn't too good at rugby, but it's still our unofficial national sport and you're not really truly Welsh unless you cheer the Welsh team on (and also whoever is playing against England). We've got a colony in Patagonia that almost exclusively speaks Welsh, and probably has much the same weather we do.

We're awesome!

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:I am rather proud to be Australian.

W00t. I'm a dual citizen, Australian and American. Someday I'm gonna live in Australia. Just you wait.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Thats what I should be saying, I'm sure. What actually makes me proud of being English, is that we didn't elect Dubya.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

mmx49

Postby mmx49 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

Points of pride:

-Our flag.
-The fact that a city with over a quarter million people is still home to a sizable moose population, among other wildlife. I don't mean they occasionally wander in, but that they can spend their entire lives here, from birth to death.
-Natural beauty that rivals that of Jewel Staite.
-One huge frikkin' state.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:Flag: Union Jack. Possibly the most effectively combined flag ever.
Native languages:
I have to give you this one. I've been impressed with that since I learned it was three flags superimposed.
Insignificant Deification wrote:English! Booyah! No other country can say that except the ones we created *dances*
Sense I am a English speaker, I has to agree with you hear.

How, btw, did you guys convince Canada and Australia to remain "loyal to the Queen?" It's always boggled me that perfectly independent nations would claim a figurehead monarch.

*Wikipedia break* Damn, I was a bit underestimating her "realm."
In addition to the United Kingdom, Elizabeth II is also Queen of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, and Saint Kitts and Nevis, in each of which she is represented by a Governor-General.
o_O

EDIT: Oops, I totally forgot home sweet home. It's been a long time since anything happened that I'm proud of on a global scale. But these things were truly global.
ImageImage
Something more recent.
Last edited by MotorToad on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:How, btw, did you guys convince Canada and Australia to remain "loyal to the Queen?" It's always boggled me that perfectly independent nations would claim a figurehead monarch.

*Wikipedia break* Damn, I was a bit underestimating her "realm."
In addition to the United Kingdom, Elizabeth II is also Queen of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, and Saint Kitts and Nevis, in each of which she is represented by a Governor-General.
o_O

You've got it backwards. We in the US are the odd ducks in that we don't claim her.

Though it's not an exact comparison, here's the old British Empire vs. the modern Commonwealth of Nations. She's the head of the Commonwealth.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

I'm proud to be Canadian. For many reasons.
I can list some later.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

New Jersey: We are the only US state with a flag the color of butter.

Chief imports: Heroin, pollution
Chief exports: Actors, comedians, musicians, Jay & Silent Bob, and the second best bagels and pizza in North America (next to Brooklyn).

[url="http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/kids/people.htm"]Famous People from New Jersey[/url]
Last edited by lowbart on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:37 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:Chief exports: Actors, comedians, pizza, musicians, Jay & Silent Bob

You forgot "That smell..."

Stief

Postby Stief » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

basically...what has been said about Wales (where I live) and England (which is my nationality)...if we're talking about my birthplace...Bratwurst?

[long and short of it: Born on an RAF base in Germany...it is British soil as far as I've been told]

Edit: Add to Wales...we have:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch.
Not the longest place name ever..that honour belongs to
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu in New Zealand...but it's still long enough to be remembered (that's what she said!)
Last edited by Stief on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:
Spoiler:

Thats what I should be saying, I'm sure. What actually makes me proud of being English, is that we didn't elect Dubya.

Guess what, we didn't elect dubya either! Somehow he managed to make his way into the white house anyway.

Edit: At any rate, I'm not terribly proud to be an American these days (in fact, I'm quite embarrassed) and I've never been proud of being New Mexican, so I'll just back quietly out of this thread...
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:Flag: Union Jack. Possibly the most effectively combined flag ever.
Native languages:
English! Booyah! No other country can say that except the ones we created *dances*
Exports:
English language (we did get around)
English accents (and thus loosening up of hot babes)
USA ass-kissing. Bloody damnit Gordon.
High-heels that fold into flats so that one can drive without committing vehicular homicide.
High-pitched women, and the people that mock them. Monty Python.
Bagpipe music.

Awe-inspiring (and not so awe-inspiring):
*Man and his human pet of a girlfriend kicked off a bus by an insensitive prick of a busman. Busman is actually considered for firing. Unlike in America, where he'd be praised for saying no to the heathen. :wink:
*Little girls that say, and I quote: "Oh shut up da~ddy you silly ba~sta'd you."
*A queen that refuses to die. Zombie Queen! Brains~
*Queen. The band.
*Glasgow smiles. :shock:
*Apparently, people can kill each other with things other than guns. We still have some nice homicides without them. In fact, I would go so far as to say we're more creative about it for lack of guns.
*Shaun of the Dead, and every other movie that group makes. Before the rest of you get it. Bitches.
*A royal line that American students have to study (is this information right?)

Okay, that's enough.
I assume that this is just general UK stuff? Looks like it...
I particularly support your mentions of Monty Python, the Shaun team and the thing about the ass-kissing (that third one only because it's true, not because I particularly agree with it).

I think I'll just add a few generalised points (for both Scotland and the entire UK):
TARTAN. The. Best. Colour. Ever.
Yes, tartan is a colour. And although I have no idea where it originated, Scotland is famous for its tartans.
The English language (again), along with the twenty-odd-ish dialects that are recognised on the UK mainland alone.
Erm... haggis? Oh yeah, haggis. And the daft jokes that can be played on the very ignorant concerning its life in the wild, before the pre-Burns'-night haggis hunt.
A monarchy that does nearly nothing in the country itself, but gets priority over everything else on major TV and radio stations in the case of a death or other major event.
Also, the Queen's position (as seen by, according to a great many sources, most of the rest of the world) as 'ruler' of the UK*, despite the line above.
The Commonwealth, and the games that ex-members of the British Empire still regularly take part in. Go Commonwealth!

ConfessioN: I'm pleased with myself for not getting overly patriotic (about Scotland) in this post, besides the rant below. I'm probably classable as a nationalist.

*Major annoyance - "Queen of England". HEY THAR BUT WE HAVE THREE OTHER COUNTRIES THAT SHE 'RULES' ALL JOINED TOGETHER UNDER ONE (as said by I_D) FAIRLY COOL FLAG.
To get it out of the way, I'll whinge some more about stupid things said, such as "Edinburgh, England? Yeah, I've been there". [/whinge]
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

Stief wrote:Not the longest place name ever..that honour belongs to
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu in New Zealand...but it's still long enough to be remembered (that's what she said!)

Pff, you should see Bangkok's real name. No-one from there has called it Bangkok in centuries, and the real name is about a paragraph long talking about how awesomely angelical the city is and how it's one of the jewels of the east or something along those lines. That's the real longest place-name in the world.

Werd.

MuseSik

Postby MuseSik » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Nevada as a state blows. I mean, sure, head out of Clark County (essentially Las Vegas) and there are whorehouses aplenty. Aside from that, avoid the rest of the state if at all possible.

Vegas is far superior to the rest of Nevada. I mean, first off, it's Las Vegas. I'm proud of the fact that I was born here, which is quite rare. Vegas is the fastest growing city in the country, so there is always something being built or torn down. We don't pay state taxes, which rocks. Every grocery store, gas station, and drug store all have a row of slot machines. I don't even gamble, and this day I get weirded out whenever I'm out of state and don't see slot machines. I could go on for pages about all the weird things that are different here than most of the country, but I'll spare everyone.

Oh, one more for the alcoholics. Last call doesn't exist here. I had never even heard of last call until last summer in California. The bartender had done last call, and I didn't think anything of it. A few minutes later I went to get more drinks and she said 'Sorry, already did last call.' I was confused.

So yeah, less enthused to be a Nevadian. More enthused to be a Las Vegan.
Last edited by MuseSik on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

Charles Ives.

Also, George Bush pretended to be from Texas because he knew he wasn't nearly cool enough for Connecticut.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

wow so many welsh people.
I'm only half welsh :(

essentially: what people have said about wales and the UK in general, especially month python, Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

also, we have Stephen Fry.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

No St. David's flag, though! Boo! Or dragon!

Also, I thought it was a Chelsea smile, and a Glasgow kiss? Still awesome either way. Other awesomenesses: Possibly the greatest headline ever written, from the Daily Record: "I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON". And Eddie Izzard. And the BBC. And fantastic place names (apart from Llanfair P-G) we have Middle Wallop, Bishops Itchington, Fairyland, Golden Balls, Lickey End, Wetwang, Llantwit Major and so many more.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Darkscull wrote:Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

I didn't mention any of them because I assumed that they were givens (if that's the proper pluralisation of 'a given'...)

Ross Noble?

And on headlines - "Super Callly go Ballistic, Celtic are Atrocious" has to win... when Cally Thistle (a third division team or something - I'm not really into pokemon football) beat Celtic, one of the 'better' ones (as in, a team that can afford to import foreign players).
Spoiler:

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:
Darkscull wrote:Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

I didn't mention any of them because I assumed that they were givens (if that's the proper pluralisation of 'a given'...)

I only mentioned them by name because they were mentioned earlier in the thread.

we could start listing awesome people (especially comedians), but it'd go on forever :)
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

Indeed. That's why I didn't mention Izzard.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

Do we have a 'location' poll? I know about the Frappr map, but a poll would probably get a larger proportion of the community's response... The problem would be choosing the options. Latitude, maybe? Or one for Latitude, and the other for something else (position in time, maybe?)?
Spoiler:

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:Indeed. That's why I didn't mention Izzard.

Eddie Izzard and Hugh Laurie deserve mentions as exports to the states, I suppose.

hugh grant, however, does not, shh
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Return to “General”