You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Well the idea was to not let them get in range and just guide them through a tunnel of death in the fort (w/o using traps). But I have silver and copper, so I can make some pretty good hammers. Guess if I get everyone armored up I can get 'em out in the field and repel the zombies. I'm actually a fair bit surprised at how good they're repelling zombies even if they're totally unarmed. I just don't have the materials to make another anvil yet, so only one smith for armor/etc.

MisterCheif
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby MisterCheif » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 am UTC

I may be interested in doing a succession game, but it will all depend when it happens, and whether college decides to get time consuming at that point.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Shivahn » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:27 am UTC

I finally got the sound working so I'm playing in adventure mode (which has no sound anyway, but you can just shut up! It's the principle of the thing.)

Anyway, I always start out as peasant so the first few fights are hard and scary and I need to train. I was fighting an axman and managed to start by grabbing him with my left hand on the throat and choking him out.

Ok that is a pretty awesome and badass intro. Now what to train? Why not wrestling. I don't want to powerlevel so I want to just keep doing actual things.

Anyway the point of my story is that if you go and pinch all the head stuff, you end up standing in a pile of teeth. That's where I am now. This person apparently had twenty five teeth, which are now in twenty piles. One of them is on a mountain like forty feet away somehow.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby ahammel » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:18 am UTC

Just played a character who was a High Grand Master Biter with no other combat skills.

It didn't go well. But hey: I bit a honey badger to death.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Shivahn » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:58 pm UTC

Biting is best with the My Little Pony mod I used to have.

Night creatures are less scary without hands.

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

Operation Obsidian Bridge of Doom has officially begun.

I managed to flood my fort on two(2) separate occasions while trying to mine obsidian, but I think I've got it figured out now. Just so long as I don't open both sets of floodgates at the same time, the pressurized water from the cavern won't explode into the mining area and run down the stairs. A misplaced door may or may not have also contributed to the floods. I'm about to mine out a second, bigger and more productive obsidian mine to make the process a bit faster and more streamlined.

I had a second necromancer siege broken up by goblin ambushes who also killed a forgotten beast that decided to show up after all the guests had gone through most of the good wine. I opened the doors so my hammer dwarves could break some skulls, the aftermatch of which left one badly injured carpenter (failed to get my civ alert turned on quick enough), a slightly shaken up (but fine) hammerdwarf and a realization that one of my hammer dwarf women has been fighting without a left arm for quite some time. She has 6 kills too. Scary woman.

A few things I've learned:

Pressurized liquid will flow up through a pump if it's allowed to for too long.
Pumps move liquid FAST. Really fast.
Trapping Elven Caravans until they go berserk (You're protecting them from the legion of zombies sieging your fort, c'mon!) is a great way to get easy wood/berries/cloth. Don't do it to the dwarves or the humans though, they actually are useful. Unlike those dirty dirty elves.

MisterCheif
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby MisterCheif » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

Since I guess we are all posting useful stuff we learned, here's some stuff for the Masterwork mod, and DF in general.

DF:
-Do not accidentally build your tombs into the reanimating part of the biome. That's how my safely-sealed-off-from-the-undead fort lost half its population.
-Pigtails and dimple cups are fucking useful. Don't worry about running out of thread, or about all your thread being woven by only weaving dyed thread.
-Use the manager. USE IT!

and Masterwork:
-Some normal invaders are trapavoid. Take this into account when testing the beginning of your massive, 41x41, 10z-level drop dodging trap. Compensate with marksdwarves or something. You know, the thing I don't really have enough dwarves to effectively use, seeing as I have 17 dwarves, 4 of them children, and over 150 undead on the surface stopping my migrants. Fuck.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:53 pm UTC

I'm still searching for it - a good embark for the succession game. I've got a few nice areas to inspect tonight. One area in particular that looks promising is a Taiga that also borders a Haunted glacier. I'm thinking it'd be fun to have Unicorns for their bones and for other shenanigans. I'm going to search for a Volcano, however, because we all know how fun Volcanoes are. We'll see.

What I want to know is, does anyone have some ideas for a mega project we can do? Or perhaps some hilarious guidelines we have to follow? I've brainstormed a few and seen some really good ones over on the Bay12 forum, but it'd also be pretty fun to do one with a bit of XKCD personality to it. I don't want to just cookie cutter copy a succession game from anyplace, so unless the embark is just crazy, a mega project would help keep us focused. Anyway, I'll keep brainstorming, but if you have an idea, toss it up here or feel free to PM me. We've still got about a month before I kick it off.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:What I want to know is, does anyone have some ideas for a mega project we can do? Or perhaps some hilarious guidelines we have to follow? I've brainstormed a few and seen some really good ones over on the Bay12 forum, but it'd also be pretty fun to do one with a bit of XKCD personality to it. I don't want to just cookie cutter copy a succession game from anyplace, so unless the embark is just crazy, a mega project would help keep us focused. Anyway, I'll keep brainstorming, but if you have an idea, toss it up here or feel free to PM me. We've still got about a month before I kick it off.
We could try to make a computer, like people do in Minecraft. Maybe we can play Dwarf Fortress in Dwarf Fortress...

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

While I do want to build a computer at some point, understanding the logic is difficult enough, let alone getting everyone to work together on it. It's not a bad idea but probably not a good way to kick off my first succession game ;). I'm thinking more about some sort of mega construction we all work on, whether it's a bridge of death, or flooding the top level with magma, or making a really elaborate system of traps for sieges to run through. Stuff like that. Or perhaps some shenanigans along the lines of, each time the game changes hands, there's some new rule in place: i.e., one person can't use cage traps, one person can't build anything out of wood, all door production is banned for a year, change all farming output to be only plump helmets. I'm inclined to try that and see what happens.

[edit]

That will only work if we get into the spirit of things and enjoy how goofy dwarf fortress gets.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

You could build an infinite metal generator. 1 bar of adamantium make 25 bolts, melting 1 bolt produces .1 bars at the smelter, so each stack can be made into 2.5 bars. Diamond encrusted addy doors, anyone? The trick is splitting up the bolt stacks into individual bolts. If a bolt hits a wall, it breaks. But if it hits a wall and falls a floor, it remains intact. So if you build a long archery range with the sides channeled out, the missed bolts fall and can be melted. Granted that many will hit and break, more than 10 will miss. So, most of your fortress will be smelters and marksdwarves. I don't have much use for all the extra dwarves anyway, and smelting does build strength and toughness...

User avatar
New User
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:40 am UTC
Location: USA

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby New User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:04 pm UTC

We could make a water park, with water slides and pools and stuff. It doesn't have to be just for dwarfs. The water slides could end up at harmless swimming pools for the dwarfs, but flip a switch and the slides re-route to death filled pools for goblins. I'm semi-serious.
Also, I'd probably mess up in the construction pretty badly, since I'm still not very experienced at this game.

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:55 pm UTC

Oh man. That would be hilarious. Especially because half of the time the dwarves would probably get caught in it at the wrong time and end up in the pools of death and the goblins would wind up in the harmless pools.

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby eculc » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:25 pm UTC

which is why we make sure there are no harmless pools for the goblins to get into.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

I imagine that there would be a lot of drowned pets in the kiddie pool. Too bad we can't use other liquids like Sewer Brew or magma. Well, I suppose the goblins can swim in the magma, lucky bastards.

I saw someone suggest that brewing require fuel, like a real still. The current still would be replaced with a place that makes juice, then the juice is fermented into beer or wine or something, and a real still would distill using fuel into vodka. But of course, the workshop could be magma powered. Nothing sums up dwarf society like a magma still.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:01 pm UTC

You can counteract overpopulation by having water streams knock babies off women. The women can swim to the shore while the babies cannot.
This also train your women as swimmers.
Finally, the "waterfall" happiness compensates the loss of the baby.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

I'm probably the only person that doesn't hate dwarf babies. I like the idea of having dwarves grow up in your fortress. You could watch as families rise and grow and die in tragedy. The problem is 50 migrants a year.

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

I just don't like the fact that the mothers in the military drag them out into combat and when they die, the whole fort is upset. Or they wander into my danger room(s) and die that way. Or that they clutter up my Dwarf Therapist. On my latest fort I've set a pop cap at 40 (I have like 62) and it has been much more bearable. There's enough stuff going on that FPS death is a real threat if I had more dwarves than that.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

But babies make the best shields! It's Dorf Science proven!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
New User
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:40 am UTC
Location: USA

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby New User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

I have always found the idea of dwarf babies quite funny.
First of all, they seem to be born rather suddenly, while the mother is usually otherwise engaged in industrious work. I guess you could say she's in "labor". But the baby is born so suddenly, it's easy for me to imagine that it just falls out, as if it's a surprise even to the mother. The mother then has to drop whatever she is doing and look for her baby. Once the mother and baby are united, the mother continues to go about normal dwarven life, and it's funny to imagine the baby attached to its mother, perhaps like a marsupial, or else the mother carrying the baby in one arm while laboring intensely with the other. Spinning thread, making booze, operating a pump, sparring, or operating a furnace with a baby in one arm each make a funny picture in my mind.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

New User wrote:I have always found the idea of dwarf babies quite funny.


Keep in mind they are born fully bearded.

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Shivahn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

New User wrote:Spinning thread, making booze, operating a pump, sparring, or operating a furnace with a baby in one arm each make a funny picture in my mind.


Blacksmithing requires two arms. There is pretty much no way around that.

I am pretty sure the baby is in a pouch like a marsupial. Dwarves are part kangaroo.

lorb
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:34 am UTC
Location: Austria

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby lorb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

I always imagined the babies just grab the beard of their mother and hang in there while she continuous to work.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:Blacksmithing requires two arms. There is pretty much no way around that.


Wait, can you have a blacksmith whose arm went sailing off in an arc?

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

lorb wrote:I always imagined the babies just grab the beard of their mother and hang in there while she continuous to work.


Dwarves can fish, engrave, etc barehanded. I think their beards are prehensile tools.

They could also hold the baby with this.

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Shivahn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:34 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Shivahn wrote:Blacksmithing requires two arms. There is pretty much no way around that.


Wait, can you have a blacksmith whose arm went sailing off in an arc?

In the game, probably? I meant in real life - a lot of things can be done one handed. Blacksmithing is not one of them, you need to hammer, and you need to hold the tongs holding the hot thing on the anvil. You can't put the hot thing into any kind of holder for two reasons - one, you have to move it around on the anvil (stuff like moving it over the edge, or rotating it ninety degrees between blows to square it off) and two, you cannot be close to efficient without it being pretty hot, and it will cool off fast. The first few seconds out of the fire require so much less energy to form the metal that it's truly ridiculous. Waiting slightly means exhaustion in anything other than the short term. And just putting it into the fire, taking it out, hammering a couple of times, and putting it back in (so you don't end up hammering when it's really tiresome) isn't viable for anything thin - knife blades will literally rust away if they're heated repeatedly.

I'm not a blacksmith, but I have taken courses in it and done smithy stuff. Unless you're using a power hammer, you're going to be pretty hard-pressed to do good work with one hand.

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

I have a one armed hammer dwarf that uses a hammer and a shield. Dwarves only need one arm to function because they're dwarves. Either that or they have their children hold stuff for them, i.e. the tongs. :P

Soralin
Posts: 1347
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Soralin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:07 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:I'm not a blacksmith, but I have taken courses in it and done smithy stuff. Unless you're using a power hammer, you're going to be pretty hard-pressed to do good work with one hand.

Dwarvish power hammer? No problem :)

Image
Image

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby eculc » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 am UTC

now all we need is one made of adamantine and powered by magma.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:22 am UTC

For the powered-by-magma bit... I don't see it until steam is modeled accurately.
Omni.

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:28 am UTC

I may or may not have embarked on a volcano island in the middle of the ocean. Fun so far. How exactly a caravan gets out here, I have no idea. I don't think I'll get sieges because only dwarves are nearby but who knows?

Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby eculc » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:44 am UTC

I do believe that is correct.

also, you might want to wall off the side of that volcano for fear of magma men and/or other magma-related creatures.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:06 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:
Shivahn wrote:Blacksmithing requires two arms. There is pretty much no way around that.


Wait, can you have a blacksmith whose arm went sailing off in an arc?

In the game, probably? I meant in real life - a lot of things can be done one handed. Blacksmithing is not one of them, you need to hammer, and you need to hold the tongs holding the hot thing on the anvil. You can't put the hot thing into any kind of holder for two reasons - one, you have to move it around on the anvil (stuff like moving it over the edge, or rotating it ninety degrees between blows to square it off) and two, you cannot be close to efficient without it being pretty hot, and it will cool off fast. The first few seconds out of the fire require so much less energy to form the metal that it's truly ridiculous. Waiting slightly means exhaustion in anything other than the short term. And just putting it into the fire, taking it out, hammering a couple of times, and putting it back in (so you don't end up hammering when it's really tiresome) isn't viable for anything thin - knife blades will literally rust away if they're heated repeatedly.

I'm not a blacksmith, but I have taken courses in it and done smithy stuff. Unless you're using a power hammer, you're going to be pretty hard-pressed to do good work with one hand.


Hell, historically it isn't weird to have multiple smiths, a mastersmith and one or more apprentice smiths. Apprentices using both hands to hammer while the master uses both hands to hold the metal.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Shivahn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

That is an awesome power hammer.

Gelsamel wrote:
Shivahn wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:
Shivahn wrote:Blacksmithing requires two arms. There is pretty much no way around that.


Wait, can you have a blacksmith whose arm went sailing off in an arc?

In the game, probably? I meant in real life - a lot of things can be done one handed. Blacksmithing is not one of them, you need to hammer, and you need to hold the tongs holding the hot thing on the anvil. You can't put the hot thing into any kind of holder for two reasons - one, you have to move it around on the anvil (stuff like moving it over the edge, or rotating it ninety degrees between blows to square it off) and two, you cannot be close to efficient without it being pretty hot, and it will cool off fast. The first few seconds out of the fire require so much less energy to form the metal that it's truly ridiculous. Waiting slightly means exhaustion in anything other than the short term. And just putting it into the fire, taking it out, hammering a couple of times, and putting it back in (so you don't end up hammering when it's really tiresome) isn't viable for anything thin - knife blades will literally rust away if they're heated repeatedly.

I'm not a blacksmith, but I have taken courses in it and done smithy stuff. Unless you're using a power hammer, you're going to be pretty hard-pressed to do good work with one hand.


Hell, historically it isn't weird to have multiple smiths, a mastersmith and one or more apprentice smiths. Apprentices using both hands to hammer while the master uses both hands to hold the metal.


Yeah, especially for big work, this was very common. It's hard to make a huge woodcutting axe alone.

User avatar
Thadlerian
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:58 pm UTC
Location: Norway

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Thadlerian » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'm probably the only person that doesn't hate dwarf babies. I like the idea of having dwarves grow up in your fortress. You could watch as families rise and grow and die in tragedy. The problem is 50 migrants a year.

Yeah, I agree. The problem is that despite the huge amount of individual detail and nuance, it's still very difficult to bond with the dwarf mode inhabitants to any greater degree. I'd love to follow entire families genuinely start caring about my citizens, but they are too many, and their differences too insignificant (and the babies mature too slowly, even at taking only 9 or so years to become adults).

Maybe the game needs shipping. I know Toady One once mentioned a "random poetry generator" in some far-future version, for adventurer mode, for occasions of follower romance. It'd be great if we could follow inter-dwarf relationships in much greater detail.

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:18 am UTC

A bit of an update. I'll say, the walls are probably unnecessary but it makes me feel better to have them up. Plus I'm building a roof over my forging area so birds can't fly in and steal my stuff. There's been a fair bit of fliers about but most of them have been rather harmless. There's an absolute crapton of gold, silver and aluminum here.

Spoiler:
2nd year topside.png

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:05 am UTC

No iron? Well, you have magma, make a burning trap for gathering goblinite. I suppose you can use all that silver and gold to make pumps and such.

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 am UTC

Yeah sadly, no iron. I'll have enough stuff to trade for whatever I want which is good. I won't get any sieges because there's no other civs but dwarves that will come to my little island, so no goblinite either :(.

But gold and aluminum everything is awesome and all my dwarves are ecstatic to say the least.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:06 pm UTC

Trade for iron and steel bolts, create an infinite metal generator, and you can smelt yourself infinite steel and iron, if you don't mind exploits.

User avatar
Mishrak
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:15 pm UTC
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Mishrak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

I'm getting my metal smith up to legendary and then i'll start pumping out aluminum crafts. Might encrust them with gems too, because I have a boatload of quality cut gems. After that I'll trade for stuff. Since there's no sieges, the demand for iron is actually pretty low unless I want to send an army of dwarves into the caverns below. Needless to say, I'm hoping to literally buy out the dwarven caravan every year of wood, metal, sand, leather and cloth. Because I have very little of all of those.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests