Stupid elliptical machine!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Girl™
This is what I think of you.
Posts: 1240
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:23 am UTC
Location: In ur base, et cetera, et cetera.

Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Girl™ » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

Does anyone know what I can do about this? I have a Gazelle machine, and after running for about 15-20 minutes, my knees start to hurt so bad I have to stop. The boy doesn't have this problem at all, but he's about 7" taller than me. (I'm 5'5"). Is this thing just wrong for me, or am I doing it wrong?
You don't make them touch!

User avatar
Gunfingers
Posts: 2401
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Gunfingers » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

It's probably not your eliptical. It's probably your knee. Consider having someone in a white coat look at it. The wife went a good little while not knowing she had completely torn her ACL.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.
Posts: 1240
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:23 am UTC
Location: In ur base, et cetera, et cetera.

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Girl™ » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

Ohh man, don't tell me that....... I don't even have a GP i can go to, much less an orthopedic specialist... ;_;
You don't make them touch!

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

We can get one, though. We has insurances.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
odayjuarez
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:40 am UTC
Location: UK

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby odayjuarez » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

I did some damage to my knee ligaments 6 or 7 years ago and it's never really been the same since. It's more likely your knee than the machine. I use one quite a lot because there's no impact like there is with running on a treadmill. Seeing a doctor is probably a good idea, if possible. At least stop using the machine before the pain really kicks in. If there is a problem it might be doing more damage.
Donald Knuth wrote:Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.

Token
Posts: 1481
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:07 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Token » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:Ohh man, don't tell me that....... I don't even have a GP i can go to, much less an orthopedic specialist... ;_;

Note to self: stop taking the NHS for granted.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Amarantha » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:55 am UTC

Could also be a combination of your knees and the machine. sheol has about every knee issue it's possible to have, and a gym we used to go to had an elliptical strider that was perfect for him - he could get a good workout without exacerbating his condition. But every other elliptical machine he's tried has had too limited a motion and has caused his knees more strain. If you can't find a way to comfortably use the one you've got, maybe you're just not compatible with it, but you might be able to find one that works better for you. Good luck with it.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

User avatar
AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 am UTC
Location: The Northpole

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

Do you get this pain if you do other exercises or is it only when you are using this machine it happens?
Do you get any kind of visible signs that something is wrong (swelling, discoloration and such)?
Do you get any problems with bending or flexibility (pain or "blocks" etc.?)?

If this happens during other exercises aswell, go see a doctor. Trust me (I've had surgery 3 times over the last 4 years due to my knee, it's not fun), the last thing in the world that you want is a knee problem, the faster you get it checked out, the better the chance of actually doing something about it is going to be. In this case it is definitely better to be safe than sorry.

If it's only during use of this machine you get problems, consider finding some other way of exercising to replace it.

If you have any visible signs that something is wrong or problems bending in angles you have no problems with on the other knee, go see a doctor.

In spite popular belief pain is not your friend when exercising, a dude you say hi to possibly, but definitely not your friend. Especially not pain in knees or other joints.

(Yes, I'm paranoid about knees)
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 pm UTC
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Barbie » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:52 am UTC

I have the same problem. I usually have pretty good knees, but the elliptical really bothers them. I have relatively short legs, and I think the machines were designed for a longer stride length. I feel like my knee hyperextends at back of the stride, and it's hard to prevent it because there's so much momentum behind it. I know you're pretty short too, so maybe the same thing is happening to you. I just quit using the elliptical, but maybe there is a way to adjust your machine so the stride is shorter.
Agent Anderson wrote:Get back to the math & computer jokes; math is sexier than sex.

User avatar
Invictus
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:29 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Invictus » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:23 am UTC

Don't even bother with elliptical machine- in the fitness industry all those cross training ergometers are nicknamed "fakercise machines".

You want real cardio benefits, box, walk, run, ride, row or swim- our bodies have evolved by design to do the actual thing, why wouldn't you take advantage of it?
Gremlins are a rich source of Gremlinium

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Because it is very hard to do any of those things in your apartment?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Invictus
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:29 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Invictus » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:32 am UTC

Actually I've found boxing is pretty easy in my apartment.

A good punching bag is much cheaper than a good ellptical machine.
Gremlins are a rich source of Gremlinium

Girl™
This is what I think of you.
Posts: 1240
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:23 am UTC
Location: In ur base, et cetera, et cetera.

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Girl™ » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:26 am UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Do you get this pain if you do other exercises or is it only when you are using this machine it happens?
Do you get any kind of visible signs that something is wrong (swelling, discoloration and such)?
Do you get any problems with bending or flexibility (pain or "blocks" etc.?)?

If this happens during other exercises aswell, go see a doctor. Trust me (I've had surgery 3 times over the last 4 years due to my knee, it's not fun), the last thing in the world that you want is a knee problem, the faster you get it checked out, the better the chance of actually doing something about it is going to be. In this case it is definitely better to be safe than sorry.

If it's only during use of this machine you get problems, consider finding some other way of exercising to replace it.

If you have any visible signs that something is wrong or problems bending in angles you have no problems with on the other knee, go see a doctor.

In spite popular belief pain is not your friend when exercising, a dude you say hi to possibly, but definitely not your friend. Especially not pain in knees or other joints.

(Yes, I'm paranoid about knees)


For the questions: no, no, and no. I do occasionally get a pretty serious twinge sometimes when I'm getting up from the floor. And it's in both knees, for some reason. :\ I definitely know not to push on with anything that causes joint pain. I really don't want to go to some random doctor and risk a bad diagnosis and/or unnecessary surgery, though. I might ask someone at work if they know anyone.

Invictus wrote:Actually I've found boxing is pretty easy in my apartment.

A good punching bag is much cheaper than a good ellptical machine.


Not when you can get the elliptical used for $20. It'd be great if I had another option to exercise, but there's not many options living in a cramped apartment in a pedestrian-malicious city. Bleh, looks like it's nothing but Wii Sports until I can move to Boston. :\
You don't make them touch!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 pm UTC
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Barbie » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Invictus wrote:Don't even bother with elliptical machine- in the fitness industry all those cross training ergometers are nicknamed "fakercise machines".

You want real cardio benefits, box, walk, run, ride, row or swim- our bodies have evolved by design to do the actual thing, why wouldn't you take advantage of it?

What do you mean by "real" cardio benefits? If someone just wants to improve the efficiency of the cardiovascular system, then an elliptical will do the same thing as cross-country skiing, and a treadmill will do the same thing as running. If you only run for the sake of cardiovascular benefits (you don't need to run in any other part of your life), then how is becoming good at running any better than becoming good at the elliptical. Granted, if someone is looking for functional benefits, they should be doing the activity that they want to improve (e.g. if you want to be a good swimmer, you need to swim). Some people like doing the "actual thing," some people don't. I would rather have people choose lifestyle activities that they can stick with.

ps - Don't think we've had quite enough time to evolve to riding ;)
Agent Anderson wrote:Get back to the math & computer jokes; math is sexier than sex.

Graham Finch
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:25 am UTC

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Graham Finch » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:14 am UTC

Whenever my legs start to hurt, I usually drink some milk. The high amounts of calcium and protein help ease the pain and speed up the recovery process.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 pm UTC
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:41 am UTC

Graham Finch wrote:Whenever my legs start to hurt, I usually drink some milk. The high amounts of calcium and protein help ease the pain and speed up the recovery process.

[citation needed]

I have never read anything to support those claims. Unless you're deficient in protein or calcium, I doubt that consuming extra would ease pain or speed up recovery. If you know something I don't, please educate me.
Agent Anderson wrote:Get back to the math & computer jokes; math is sexier than sex.

User avatar
Gunfingers
Posts: 2401
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Gunfingers » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:40 pm UTC

From what i'm told, consuming the appropriate chemical shortly after an injury helps in reconstruction. I know i've always been told to eat protein after a workout because it helps rebuild the muscles. Seems logical that the same would hold true for bones.

And for anyone that doubts my credentials, i totally got an A in my high school anatomy class (which was almost 5 years ago), so i know what i'm talking about!

Ragavin
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:45 pm UTC
Location: Pleasanton, Ca

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Ragavin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

Invictus wrote:Actually I've found boxing is pretty easy in my apartment.

A good punching bag is much cheaper than a good ellptical machine.


Wii boxing ftw!

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Hahah. has anyone ever done any looking into the exercise benefits of wii boxing?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 pm UTC
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Stupid elliptical machine!

Postby Barbie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:I know i've always been told to eat protein after a workout because it helps rebuild the muscles. Seems logical that the same would hold true for bones.

There are quite a few studies that have found otherwise. In all of my fitness-related education, I have never seen a credible textbook that supports this claim. (Exception: if you're protein deficient, then protein after a workout will help).
Agent Anderson wrote:Get back to the math & computer jokes; math is sexier than sex.


Return to “Fit Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest