One Third Bobcat

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

the_frufru

One Third Bobcat

Postby the_frufru » Sun May 25, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

Driving home one night, I noticed a sign on the side of the road advertising "For Sale: One third bobcat kittens." I didn't think much of it, beside the obvious physiological difficulties of breeding house cats and bobcats.

It ate at me, then I realized why, even if they could breed, it is impossible. Now, I ask this question to all of my interviewees at my company.

Macbi

Re: One Third Bobcat

Postby Macbi » Sun May 25, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

No, but you can approach 1/3 as a limit. Much like you can with hybrid sporks.
    Indigo is a lie.
    Which idiot decided that websites can't go within 4cm of the edge of the screen?
    There should be a null word, for the question "Is anybody there?" and to see if microphones are on.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Mon May 26, 2008 2:44 am UTC

Macbi wrote:No, but you can approach 1/3 as a limit. Much like you can with hybrid sporks.

Exactly what I was thinking. Say you went back to a set of ancestors of the cat (all of its great-great-great-great grandparents, for example) such that the number of ancestors was 100. 33 of them could be bobcats, making the cat 1/3 bobcat for all intents and purposes, but not in the technical sense.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon May 26, 2008 2:56 am UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:Exactly what I was thinking. Say you went back to a set of ancestors of the cat (all of its great-great-great-great grandparents, for example) such that the number of ancestors was 100.

Well, it's not going to be 100 either... it's going to be a power of two. (Well, you could have less if there's some inbreeding going on, but all that means is that some of the ancestors count twice... you'll still end up with a power of two on the denominator.)

However, this assumes a lack of time travel... if any of the cats is capable of being its own ancestor, then the argument breaks down. If a cat goes back in time, and procreates with a purebread bobcat... then its child procreates with a purepread housecat of some kind, and that child goes back in time and turns out to be the cat I mentioned at the start of this run-on sentence... then the only consistent scenario is that that cat is 1/3 bobcat.

Of course, the fact that real-world genetics is discrete, and that there's random chance involved in which grandparent's genes you get from each parent... not to mention mutations... kinda makes all this discussion about perfect-blending continuous genetics moot anyway.

For entirely too much information, check out the discussion thread for the "sporks" comic, as a couple of people have mentioned... this has been discussed to death in there.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Cauchy

Postby Cauchy » Mon May 26, 2008 10:06 am UTC

It seems to me we should just

Spoiler:
determine the set of genes that distinguishes a bobcat from a house cat, and genetically engineer a creature that has all the genes bobcats and house cats have in common, a third of the genes differentiating the bobcat, and two-thirds of the genes differentiating a house cat.
(∫|p|2)(∫|q|2) ≥ (∫|pq|)2
Thanks, skeptical scientist, for knowing symbols and giving them to me.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon May 26, 2008 10:44 am UTC

Cauchy wrote:It seems to me we should just

Spoiler:
determine the set of genes that distinguishes a bobcat from a house cat, and genetically engineer a creature that has all the genes bobcats and house cats have in common, a third of the genes differentiating the bobcat, and two-thirds of the genes differentiating a house cat.

I liked the time traveling answer better. It has more zing, pizzazz and... stuff.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Mon May 26, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Just keep breeding for millenia and see if you can select towards a sexual method of reproduction involving three distinct genders.

I mean, if you have a couple million years to blow.

Apolsis

Postby Apolsis » Mon May 26, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

"Indeed, in may respects, she was quite English, and was an excellent example of the fact that we have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language."
-Oscar Wilde, "The Canterville Ghost"

dan

Postby dan » Mon May 26, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

I like telling people I'm a third Irish for this reason - it's interesting to see if they notice. Of course it's probably closer to five sixteenths. Thanks to this thread I will probably end up taking this into account when weighing up future relationships... I have a strange desire to get any kids of mine as close to a third as possible now.

Puck

Postby Puck » Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

"SWM seeks fun-loving nerd-girl for copulation, procreation. Non-smoker, non-drinker, between 1/4 and 1/2 Irish heritage. 17/48 ideal!!"
22/7 wrote:If I could have an alternate horn that would yell "If you use your turn signal, I'll let you in" loud enough to hear inside another car, I would pay nearly any amount of money for it.

JamesCFraser

Postby JamesCFraser » Tue May 27, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

the_frufru wrote:Now, I ask this question to all of my interviewees at my company.

You interview people for the position of janitor?

Seriously, though. Incredibly trivial question

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue May 27, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

perhaps the sign refers to 1/3 averaged over all the kittens for sale i.e. 1 in every 3 kittens for sale is 100% bob-cat, the others are domesticated cat kittens.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Hix

Postby Hix » Tue May 27, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Maybe the kittens are 1/3 bobcat, with the other 2/3 also being bobcat.

Buttons

Postby Buttons » Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

JamesCFraser wrote:Seriously, though. Incredibly trivial question

Maybe, but there are obviously different levels of responses, as this thread demonstrates. You can certainly learn something about the interviewee's thought process.

eddiekizer

Postby eddiekizer » Wed May 28, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

There are a few things I can think of:
Spoiler:
Practicality. Nobody will compliment you for announcing that your cats are exactly 332/1000 bobcat. It's much simpler to just say 1/3.

Spoiler:
Maybe the guy, oddly enough, is selling dismembered bobcat parts. But that's sick to think about.

Spoiler:
Or, as Cauchy said, it has something to do with genes/chromosomes.

Spoiler:
Lastly, maybe one of the cats was born as the result of a three-way (of, you know, well yeah). But that's sick too.
I plugged a Mac into a cat,
And plugged a PC into a dog.
Then the penguin that runs on Linux
Came and ate them.

Citizen K

Postby Citizen K » Thu May 29, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Or, maybe the sign was referring to a group of kittens for sale (say, 9), one third of which were bobcats (say, 3). Not necessarily from the same parents. It's a bit of a stretch, but I don't think it's unreasonable. Handwritten sale signs are not always known for their clarity.

Some possible interpretations of the sign:
Each kitten is genetically one-third bobcat and two-thirds housecat.
One third of the available kittens are bobcats and two thirds of them are housecats.
The owners have a litter of bobcat kittens, and one third of them are for sale.
Each item for sale is literally one third of a bobcat kitten. (eeeew)
Beware the cows! Not all milk is enriched.

Godskalken

Postby Godskalken » Thu May 29, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Hix wrote:Maybe the kittens are 1/3 bobcat, with the other 2/3 also being bobcat.

Definitely this.

Or possibly the "added 's' accent", you know, from "anyways" etc. That is, what it actually says is "one third bobcat kitten", as in "one half chicken". Was the sign outside a chinese restaurant perchance?

nishikigoi

Postby nishikigoi » Fri May 01, 2009 5:31 am UTC

Thanks for nothing, folks. I had a pretty decent existence until someone had to go and suggest that a kitten could be 1/3 bobcat. Now it's 11:30 pm, and I'm running calculations in an Excel sheet trying to figure out if such a thing might ever be possible.

Let's ignore for the moment phlip's notion of bobcat time travel. I shudder to imagine the implications of such a possibility. Time travel aside, the number of ancestors for a kitten who is 1/3 bobcat cannot be 100. The kitten has two parents who each have two parents who have two parents, etc. The genetic tree doubles every time we go back a generation.

To get a generation in which the number of ancestors is divisible by 3, we have to go back 49 generations. (The litter of 1/3 bobcat kittens is the 50th generation.) At this point, our improbable kitten has 562949953421312 ancestors in a single generation. (If you're curious, the total number of ancestors for our kittens is now 1125899906842620.)

If our kitten's genetic heritage can now be expressed in a fraction with a denominator divisible by 3, wouldn't it be possible for the product of their breeding, 49 generations later, to be 187649984473771/562949953421312 (or 1/3) bobcat?

This is where I get lost. I can't figure out how to create a mathematical model showing how the breeding would yield something that was 1/3 bobcat. Please help. I'm quite certain that I will lose sleep over this.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri May 01, 2009 5:49 am UTC

187649984473771/562949953421312 isn't 1/3... it's very close, but it's not quite (187649984473771 * 3 = 562949953421313). It's probably the fault of your spreadsheet software, which is starting to round off at this point.

Suffice it to say that, sans time travel, already-odd-fractional-breed initial ancestors, or genetic abnormalities (somehow getting more genes from one parent than the other), the fraction of any breed will be dyadic. This is the case regardless of how far back you engineer the tree, how many ancestors there are, how twisted the family tree is (with individual ancestors appearing more than once, or cross-generational breeding, or whatever).

[he/him/his]

nishikigoi

Postby nishikigoi » Fri May 01, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Curse you, Excel!

AvalonXQ

Postby AvalonXQ » Fri May 01, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

Easy:
Spoiler:
just assume that the 1/3 refers to phenotype. The kitten may be 1/2 or 1/4 bobcat by genotype but have a number of expressed genetic traits divisible by 3, of which bobcat is expressed 1/3 and recessed 2/3s of the time.

flippmoke

Postby flippmoke » Fri May 01, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

Maybe the person can't do math?

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Sat May 02, 2009 7:03 am UTC

flippmoke wrote:Maybe the person can't do math?
I'm pretty much certain that this was assumed from the start.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

fyjham

Postby fyjham » Sat May 02, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

But surely in logic puzzles it's safe to assume all people are perfectly rational unless stated otherwise... right? :P

Perhaps the owner of the house is a mad scientist and has been following in the footsteps of Dr Frankenstein and built a kitten that turned out to be 1/3rd bobcat from the parts of other dead kittens.

It's sort of bugging me though how you can get this question into an interview without wording it in a way that makes 1/3rd bobcat obviously the problem... that and whether any of your interviewee's have proposed some of the more peculiar answers provided here :P

btw nishikigoi: 2^n can never be divisible by 3, no matter how high of a power of 2 you reach. Simplest way to prove it is that 3's a prime number, so once you reduce something to it's prime factors 3 should be one of them if it's divisible. 2^n only has 2 (n times) as it's prime factors.

qetzal

Postby qetzal » Sat May 02, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

I think this would count as exacty 1/3 bobcat:

Spoiler:
First, breed a tetraploid housecat. Then breed it to a normal diploid bobcat. The offspring will have two sets of housecat chromosomes and one set of bobcat chromosomes.

nishikigoi

Postby nishikigoi » Sat May 02, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

fyjham wrote:btw nishikigoi: 2^n can never be divisible by 3, no matter how high of a power of 2 you reach. Simplest way to prove it is that 3's a prime number, so once you reduce something to it's prime factors 3 should be one of them if it's divisible. 2^n only has 2 (n times) as it's prime factors.

Thank you, fyjham. My liberal arts education didn't put much emphasis on math...

notgm

Postby notgm » Mon May 04, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

i'm voting for this option. 2/3 majority rules.

fyjham

Postby fyjham » Tue May 05, 2009 6:25 am UTC

notgm wrote:i'm voting for this option. 2/3 majority rules.

So are you saying that since it's 2/3rds housecat it's not a bobcat at all? :D

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue May 05, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

You are all missing an obvious means of arriving at 1/3 heritage (or at least what someone might claim as 1/3 heritage)
You start with 1 male bobcat (Adam) and two female bobcats (Beth and Cindy).
Adam and Beth have a litter of kittens together, including a male kitten (Dale), while Adam and Cindy have a litter of kittens that includes a female kitten (Edith). Wait a few months to a year, and Dale and Edith have a litter of 1/3rd Bobcat kittens.

Now wait, you say: Dale and Edith are both 1/2 bobcat, so clearly their kittens are also 1/2 bobcat, right?
Yes and No: Genetically speaking they are probably close to 1/2 bobcat, if such a distinction is even possible. However, out of the three distinct grandparents of the kittens, only one is a Bobcat. Thus, 1/3 bobcat...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

qetzal

Postby qetzal » Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

Kain,

You should really count the grandparents as Adam, Beth, Cindy, and Adam again. Adam counts twice. So you still have 1/2 bobcat, 1/2 house cat. (You meant for Beth and Cindy to be house cats, right?)

I still think my approach (above) is the only way to get genetically exactly 1/3 bobcat.

Spoiler:
Breeding a tetraploid housecat would be a big challenge, but there's at least some evidence it could be possible. On the one hand, people have tried to breed tetraploid lab mice, so far without success (e.g., http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16246322). OTOH, there is at least one naturally occuring tetraploid mammal: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18758856.

Assuming you could breed a tetraploid housecat, you'd still need to successfully breed it to a normal bobcat. That may also be difficult. The difference in ploidy could prevent successful embryo development.

Nevertheless, it's at least possible, and if successful would give you kittens with exactly 2/3 housecat DNA + 1/3 bobcat DNA.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue May 05, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

qetzal,

you are probably right from the standpoint of any intelligent approach to this, but remember from the OP that this is a 1/3 bobcat kitten breeder here... who knows what they were thinking, lolz
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Tue May 05, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

This is true. Because ancestry is exponential by a factor of 2, it is impossible to have 1/3 anything.

Do I get the job?
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

AvalonXQ

Postby AvalonXQ » Tue May 05, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Again, time travel. Time travel solves everything.

hocl

Postby hocl » Tue May 05, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

Perhaps the maker of the sign comes from a dystopian world where, under threat of overpopulation despite attacks from hive-mind, insect-like aliens with instantaneous psychic bonds, families are under a strict prohibition against having more than two children, to the point where the term "third" becomes a disparaging term for a child born in violation of that policy, with a rare exception being made for a particular couple who are expected to give birth to a brilliant military strategist, and with said child being trained from a young age to defeat the alien invaders, but, having achieved victory, constituting such a destabilizing force for the victorious but fractious surviving societies that he is forced to travel to another world, said other world being our own, where through a coincidence of parallel evolution, his features bear a remarkable resemblance to those of bobcats in this world, resulting in his children being advertised as "one third bobcat kittens", and prompting speculation that is ultimately explained through an absurdly long, paragraph-length sentence. I mean, really, isn't that an obvious explanation?

Or maybe a female housecat had sex with two bobcats and housecat, making the children one third bobcat. Whichever seems more reasonable to you.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed May 06, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Maybe it only tears up one third of you're face when you take it out of the packaging...

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Wed May 06, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

The seller in question must have had several litters of bobcat kittens and decided to keep the first and second of each litter, and sell the third. So he was selling third bobcat kittens. The sign probably originally said something like "For sale: Five third bobcat kittens". Of course, that was when five were availbable, and third bobcat kittens being the hot commodity they are, they were bought fairly quickly. So he had to keep going back to readjust the sign: "Four third bobcat kittens", "three third bobcat kittens", etc. Now he's down to the last one, but forgot to erase the pluralization from the end. Thus the sign:

"For sale - One third bobcat kittens".
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

phlip wrote:187649984473771/562949953421312 isn't 1/3... it's very close, but it's not quite (187649984473771 * 3 = 562949953421313). It's probably the fault of your spreadsheet software, which is starting to round off at this point.

But that could then be a point someone brought up earlier, how no one is impressed when you say that it's 332/1000 bobcat, and for all intents and purposes it's 1/3 bobcat. Unless there is some kind of medicine that has a dosage based on genetics that would be thrown off by .0000000000000177635, and therefore would kill your kitten that is 187649984473771/562949953421312 bobcat... That'd be interesting.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed May 13, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

H2SO4 wrote:and for all intents and purposes it's 1/3 bobcat.

Well, for all intents and purposes except pedantry... which is really the only reason this thread exists in the first place.

If you want to bring in genetics, it all changes anyway... a cat with three housecats and one bobcat for grandparents could be anywhere between 0% and 50% bobcat, genetically, depending on which genes it gets from its half-bobcat parent (each chromosome has a 50% chance of being housecat or bobcat, but independantly, so it could be all one, or the other... a bit more complicated with crossover, but the range still holds). 1/3 bobcat is quite possible here, if there are a multiple of 3 chromosomes (or a multiple of 3 genes, and we're taking crossover into account). But it'll still be conventionally called "1/4 bobcat", since 1 of its 4 grandparents is a bobcat.

[he/him/his]

Foolish Mortal

Postby Foolish Mortal » Mon May 25, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

Maybe it's a quantum bobcat. Like, the guy put a female housecat in a box with two male bobcats and one male housecat, and when he took the female out she was pregnant. The resulting litter would be simulataneously half bobcat, half bobcat, and full housecat, which works out as one third bobcat by my estimation.

qetzal

Postby qetzal » Tue May 26, 2009 2:26 am UTC

@ Foolish Mortal,

I like it!

Of course, the kits will only be 1/3 bobcat until they're born (or maybe until someone does an ultrasound?). Then the wavefunction will collapse to either 1/2 bobcat (P = 2/3) or full housecat (P = 1/3).

But until then....

Return to “Logic Puzzles”