The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 08, 2018 10:38 am UTC

Alien Warfare (@wam)
Spoiler:
Sorry buddy, it was either you or me... :wink:

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue May 08, 2018 1:44 pm UTC

Alien warfare:

Spoiler:
How frustrating to get killed N1 on my first game back. Though as twonie, getting NK-ed is kind of the goal… I targetted bessie, but she has made no sign of having received something. My death could have blocked my power, I suppose.
Image <-- Evil experiment

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue May 08, 2018 2:09 pm UTC

Alien warfare
Spoiler:
I imagine that bessie is pretty happy that she is not being town read. I wonder if LaserGuy saw the bread crumb that she left him.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 09, 2018 4:38 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
So the way to win this is to reduce the game to a 1-2-2 setup (1 town, two each of Mercora and Illaman) and then use SDK's double-vote to quick-hammer Mercora. So for now we need to protect the remaining Garatron and try to lynch townies (or the occasional Illaman). Luckily I've already established my 'reads' so I can avoid doing actual scum-hunting for awhile.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed May 09, 2018 2:17 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
I have no idea what Sabrar just wrote, but I'm assuming he's frustrated about exactly the same thing I am, so... +1 to whatever he said. :|
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu May 10, 2018 4:38 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Who knew that Madge was such a big Animorph fan? I'd pretty much forgotten I used Animorph names for a bunch a stuff when I originally wrote up the idea for this game a year ago. I feel a little bad because bessie asked me if the game was based off of any external flavor and I said no without really thinking about it. I did randomly assign the human names and fake names to the different factions.

Also, that was a good call for Mark claiming Illaman. Most people seem to believe it. Sadly he probably wont last long either way though.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu May 10, 2018 8:47 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
sabrar wrote:I bet the first player to claim Illaman will be actually Garatron.

:lol: You wouldn't believe how right you are...
—◯-◯

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri May 11, 2018 4:19 am UTC

Alien Warfare Mafia
Spoiler:
wam wrote:sucks about the job! Might be leaching into your play. Also now i have mentioned it you can change! Damn town for making me state it.
Yeah I have an engineering manager that doesn’t understand configuration control, an inspection manager that doesn’t understand GD&T, but the world is still backwards enough that sometimes maleness more important. But anyway I have been playing a very un-meta game, I was even before you mentioned it. I’ve been not helping the newbies as much as usual, my posting style D2 (and to a lesser extent D1) is very different that my usual style, and I even tried to leave a breadcrumb. But I did a crappy job, LaserGuy totally missed it and I needed to leave a second, sloppier one.

heuristically_alone wrote:I'll jump in here real quick for a comment. The flavor itself is not based on a book series though names may have been taken from one for my own pure enjoyment. It is 100% impossible to distinguish anyone's faction based on names as they were all randomly chosen.
I’m not buying it heury. I did a google search for animorphs and found my role name (I never even thought to search for it before). And it looks like I have the towniest role name in the entire series. I also have a power that it would make sense for this character to have. After jimbob claims or fake claims whatever his power is, I think we’re going to have another mass claim push.

Anyway, I’m thoroughly entertained by this game, but perhaps for all the wrong reasons. :P

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri May 11, 2018 7:41 am UTC

Alien Warefare
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:I'll jump in here real quick for a comment. The flavor itself is not based on a book series though names may have been taken from one for my own pure enjoyment. It is 100% impossible to distinguish anyone's faction based on names as they were all randomly chosen.
I’m not buying it heury. I did a google search for animorphs and found my role name (I never even thought to search for it before). And it looks like I have the towniest role name in the entire series. I also have a power that it would make sense for this character to have.

After the roles and factions were made, I had my list of all human names and randomly assigned them to a role. There are definitely character names that don't make sense to their role or faction.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 11, 2018 8:17 am UTC

Allen warfare Bessie may read.

Spoiler:
That sucks. We have a dispatch department that doesn't like dispatching things and a goods in department that doesn't like deliveries!

Also i thought you meant me
There is someone in this very game that has had a rather spectacular last-man-standing-SK win (in a 16 player game!) a few years ago... :P
Come join us playing mafia signup here

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Fri May 11, 2018 10:10 am UTC

Alien warfare
Spoiler:
I still feel we're doing well. I've had daychat with my Illaman buddy freezeblade (god I hope he's no godfather :shock: ), which is great for organizing actions and strategy.
I'm a little worried that Mark may not be Illaman, or if he is, that we need to look for a third mercora. I guess we'll find out after we cop Mark.

I feel pretty good about the wam-Liri-jimbob connections. If I'm on the right track we should be rid of Garatron by D4. If I'm alive at that point (ie, not nightkilled N2) I think we'll win this game.

History tells me I'm probably wrong about 1-4 things in this post. Ideally I'm wrong about Liri and he's actually mercora :)
he him his

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Fri May 11, 2018 12:26 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
I'm glad Mark was first to claim Illaman; maybe that will save him one more night. Man, still bummed about the elephant comment, because I obviously knew what it was from my own role-pm. If I had bit the bullet and said [we] could win with either Mercora or Illaman, that maybe could've saved me. Rather than wam's indy gamble.

I linked myself with SDK for N2. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use that opportunity. I'm not certain what the votals are, but I think I might have the most at the moment.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri May 11, 2018 2:13 pm UTC

Alien
Spoiler:
Here's what I've had as my honest read for a while now:
Town: Vicarin, jimbob, LaserGuy, plytho, Maven89

Mercora: SDK, Sabrar

Illaman: bessie, freezeblade

Garatron: myself, duh, and Mark, duh

re: plytho's question, even if I was Town I don't think I'd have a good answer. It was a nooby thing to say and I'd probably have still said it if I was Town. I'm tempted to just play the noob card and fess to not having a gameplan behind it. He's already got his vote on me!

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri May 11, 2018 4:12 pm UTC

Alien Warfare Mafia
Spoiler:
wam wrote:That sucks. We have a dispatch department that doesn't like dispatching things and a goods in department that doesn't like deliveries!
I’ll trade you our driver, she loves deliveries! Sometimes she’s gone for hours and we’re not sure where she went!

wam wrote:Also i thought you meant me
There is someone in this very game that has had a rather spectacular last-man-standing-SK win (in a 16 player game!) a few years ago... :P
:D What game is this? I don’t remember it. I started lurking around the time of Sherlock mafia, I remember it because Sherlock Holmes was the vanilla town role and it was funny when the players started claiming.

I was referring to SDK (of course) in Monstrous Masquerade Mafia. Check out the Gojoe thread at about p 656, where the spectators and even the dead players start rooting for him to win. :lol:

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri May 11, 2018 8:17 pm UTC

Alien Mafia
Spoiler:
I'm starting to think more and more that Mark isn't Illaman. I know that this setup isn't necessary balanced, at least, not in the traditional sense of the word as we use it in mafia games here, but if there are three Illaman, I don't see how there isn't 3 Mercora as well, which would mean the "real mafia" Garatron would only have 2 (4-3-3-3 would be horribly silly, especially if Garatron can win with either of the other factions), and I just can't see that happening. 6-3-2-2 seems absolutely most likely.

This pretty much means that Mark has to be Garatron, but I cannot prove that, or really even propose it, without outing myself as Illaman. I don't want to do this, as the endgame where Illaman wins depends on being less easily confirmed as alien than Mercora, making it more practical for town to lynch the Mercoras once the Garatron are gone, than try to weed out the Illaman within their ranks.

I need to live though the night, so that I can cop Mark and report the result, just to my partner if it comes back as Illaman, or to the rest of town if it comes back as "not Illaman" pointing out that this pretty much means they are 95% chance of being Garatron. At that point, it would be ok to out myself I think, as that would put is very-much good in the eyes of town, so we can fight against the Garatron/Mercora scum!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri May 11, 2018 9:48 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Honesty seems like the way to go. A Townie wanting to get the Mercora with the double vote on Town's side seems reasonable, right? Like it would be crazy risky to choose two people that weren't confirmed in their alignments, if I were Town. And what would the point be to link two confirmed Town people?

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat May 12, 2018 11:32 pm UTC

Alien Warfare Mafia
Spoiler:
Aaarghhh. I really want this day to be over. Please let’s hammer already. I don’t even care if I’m night killed. I’m even trying to draw the night kill away from LaserGuy or plytho, but I’m probably too scummy. My work situation is bad enough. I should be trying to find another job, because my job may be gone soon, but I’m scared to leave even an insecure position for the unknown. Still I think I was doing OK in the game up until Friday, keeping my spirits up, trying out a less predictable meta. Then I hit the wall, and I’m struggling. Please someone or something send me a sign, that perhaps somehow someday, the stars will align.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_H-UJpz5VA

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon May 14, 2018 12:07 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
At this point I'm just trolling people. I couldn't care less about who is really scum.

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon May 14, 2018 3:01 pm UTC

Alien warfare
Spoiler:
I (presumably) got the same townie-boost LaserGuy got last night. This must be a power from Madge, vicarin or bessie.

The boost is that I get to use a power twice. That’s a nice boost. Unfortunately I don’t think I have a lot of use for it. I don’t think Illaman copping anyone other than Mark is useful (like, freezeblade being godfather, but still having three Illaman around is too far fetched, right?). And I was thinking about not providing daychat to anyone tomorrow. In light of future claims, I may want to claim honestly that I can provide chat though, so doing so may be the way to go. The problem is I can only create chat with players I haven’t targeted before, so I can’t self-target again, meaning I’d have to provide chat to townies tonight. Ok, that’s not really the problem, the problem is I chatted with freezeblade N1 and if I want to keep claiming I’m townie claiming chat with freezeblade D1 is tricky. Especially considering he’s likely going to claim chat with his buddy tomorrow. Hmm.

I could claim I targeted mpolo for my chat, but that’s not very believable given my attack on him near the end of D2, damn. Maybe I can claim chat with the townie that dies tonight at the risk that they were already chatting with someone else. (didn’t laserguy claim something along those lines? Lookup: yes he did, I think the ‘not quite counterclaiming’ indicates daychat instead of night chat, which is exactly what I have!) Hmm, I may have to come up with a false claim. Or hope I won’t need to claim?

NK target is likely one of Vicarin, LaserGuy, Madge and me. I can try to give two townies chat by targeting Vic and Madge with my first shot and LaserGuy and Madge with my second (hoping Madge doesn’t die). Maybe think a bit about who’s the most likely survivor.

Providing townies with chat doesn’t directly help our enemies and means they may be lenient if I’m forced to claim Illaman at any point. So yeah, that’s where I’ll likely end up. Illaman cop Mark and try to give surviving townies chat.
he him his

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue May 15, 2018 1:37 pm UTC

Alien warfare
Spoiler:
Hmm, I'm thinking about maybe false-claiming doctor, if necessary. I feel like a doctor is not that likely to be in the game. I also feel I know all but 2 of the roles in the game, so it's a relatively small margin of error. The only risk here is a watcher tracking me to 4 people tonight, but I think tracker and watcher are pretty unlikely as well.
he him his

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Mark killed SDK then redirected freezeblade to sdk, so I fully expect Mark to try to claim that freezeblade is garatron. Lots of messaging abilities lots night. Jimbob sent his long elaborate plan, sabrar sent a long meaningless post to bessie (still wouldn't be surprised if there was something hidden in there I missed). I think sabrar just wants to waste bessie's time makingnher try to decypher a long message. Plytho was motivated by bessie, so plytho created a dat chat for madge and vicarin, and mark and laserguy. Madge absorbed plytho's power so she has the wording of his role and can use it herself. I think that was everything interesting that happene.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:42 pm UTC

Alien Warfare

Spoiler:
And suddenly a game of Ghost appeared in the main game. Fantastic!
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed May 16, 2018 4:59 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
So... what? freezeblade is trying to imply that his Illaman cop killed me? Who did the last Garatron kill, then?

Or can the Aliens only kill their enemy? Might be interesting. Garatron targets an Illaman by accident (no kill), and Illaman kills me?

Time to read some spoilers!

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed May 16, 2018 7:10 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
So it's finally turning into an out-in-the-open Mercora-Illaman fight!

I'm not sure why Mark shot SDK. It doesn't look like he's making it past D3.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed May 16, 2018 7:22 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Liri wrote:So it's finally turning into an out-in-the-open Mercora-Illaman fight!

I don't think it's going to be very exciting. Either the mod gives them the draw, or Sabrar gets lynched, I guess? Maybe Vicarin can convince everyone else to lynch Illaman for not cooperating? Doubt that happens anyway. Vic was always very happy to be angry with us for not helping even when we were.

Liri wrote:I'm not sure why Mark shot SDK. It doesn't look like he's making it past D3.

Yeah, that was a strange choice. I'm wondering if he might have been thinking about claiming Illaman vig (and "proving" himself by shooting me).

Was this your first game, Liri? Glad you seem to be into it, despite your somewhat unfair death. Hopefully you can play a more normal game in the future. :D

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 pm UTC

Alien warfare
Spoiler:
Well, I'm glad I dropped that idea about signaling freezeblade if Mark was Illaman in our chat right at the end. I was actually surprised by my result on Mark. Now all we need to do is get Mark lynched without outing me today and we're in for a win. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have hinted that I gave chat to a townie in my first post.

I'm wondering, if the lynch is pointing towards freezeblade, do I claim and save him, giving town the win and hoping they side with us? Or do I keep quiet, hope to survive the night kill and win by lynching Sabrar with town?
he him his

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 pm UTC

SDK wrote:Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Liri wrote:So it's finally turning into an out-in-the-open Mercora-Illaman fight!

I don't think it's going to be very exciting. Either the mod gives them the draw, or Sabrar gets lynched, I guess? Maybe Vicarin can convince everyone else to lynch Illaman for not cooperating? Doubt that happens anyway. Vic was always very happy to be angry with us for not helping even when we were.

Liri wrote:I'm not sure why Mark shot SDK. It doesn't look like he's making it past D3.

Yeah, that was a strange choice. I'm wondering if he might have been thinking about claiming Illaman vig (and "proving" himself by shooting me).

Was this your first game, Liri? Glad you seem to be into it, despite your somewhat unfair death. Hopefully you can play a more normal game in the future. :D

Spoiler:
It was my second. But yeah, it pretty quickly went off the rails.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 16, 2018 8:54 pm UTC

Alien Warfare:
Spoiler:
Well, this has got rather interesting. I'm assuming that freezeblade's claimed buddy will be outed very shortly, which should make things easy for us humans.

I did send a message as stated in thread. I proposed a crazy gambit where I claim one of the two neutral alien factions in a message that is "secret" to one of the other players, who we get to claim their name. I claim that the message is only sent to them, (of course it is also sent to Madge/LaserGuy/Vicarin too), and that I want to work with them to win, asking them to claim their alignment via breadcrumb. This seems likely to be redundant now with the binary choice lynch likely leading to a town victory shortly, but who knows.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 pm UTC

Alien Warfare

Spoiler:
So apparently whatever jimbob was planning to do has been preempted by the Mark v. freezeblade thing. I think fb's statement is so exactly what scum would make up as a lie that the chance of him being Garatron is only 75% or so. Doesn't seem to matter too much as it looks like the humans can lynch both and still get a win.

Death to the snakeheads! Death to their snakehead gods!

NB: I do not know if any of the aliens in question are actually reptilian.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 pm UTC

Alien Mafia
Spoiler:
Ok, after writing that, I think I might be pretty frustrated with work right now, and it's showing. However, I don't understand how it's not 100% clear to town that Sabrar's best course of play is to convince town to lynch the Illaman, which is why we didn't claim in the first place, because people will say all day long that "we won't lynch Illaman if they claim" when in fact, that's exactly what they'd do.

Seriously though. Mark is scum and if town loses because they trust the Mercora and Mark, who already made a huge slipup when he lied about his reason for targetting, I will point and laugh at them for not listening.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
SDK wrote:...
Sorry buddy, I hoped Illaman would continue to be uncooperative so I can argue to hunt for them but looks like that won't happen. Mark killing you was a truly bad break for us. :(

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu May 17, 2018 11:27 am UTC

Alien warfare
Spoiler:
Ugh, I don't like the position we're in now. I don't know if a draw will be accepted by heuristically_alone and we're fully in the hands of the Humans now. It's not an easy position for humans now, kingmaking is nasty business.

Gah, should have been more careful with the actions/claims.
he him his

wam

Postby wam » Thu May 17, 2018 11:55 am UTC

Alien

Spoiler:
I guess were doomed.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu May 17, 2018 2:02 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
I just realized that I managed to replicate my feat from Darkest Dungeon where I sent a cop result on one scum to another. Mark must have been confused when he received that fake message from Liri N1 but couldn't have revealed it without accusing his team-mate and couldn't warn him before due to not having day-chat. :D

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu May 17, 2018 2:22 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:Sorry buddy, I hoped Illaman would continue to be uncooperative so I can argue to hunt for them but looks like that won't happen. Mark killing you was a truly bad break for us. :(

Meh, probably doesn't matter. Seems like the humans are game for a draw if heury will allow it. If he doesn't, well, kingmaking's a bitch, huh?

Liri

Postby Liri » Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Well, clearly we should have NK'd LaserGuy.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri May 18, 2018 1:04 pm UTC

So, I was going to start MetaMafia on Monday, but Monday is a bank holiday here, so. . .

options: https://strawpoll.com/1k2bz9s7
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat May 19, 2018 6:11 pm UTC

Ok everyone, last call for Diemo’s game! I’m waiting for confirmation from Diemo that he has enough players to run his game, and if he does, I will be co modding (I do not know the setup). If anyone would like to play but doesn’t want to select a role themselves, please sign up and we will select a role for you!

Alien Warfare Mafia
Spoiler:
So is jimbob independent? Am I dead tonight? Was I too obvious? I realized too late that I was much too interested in Madge’s name claim. And jimbob’s good, if he’s looking for me he will figure it out.

Or maybe not. I thought this was so totally obvious and LaserGuy missed it. Or did he?
The Great and Powerful Mod wrote: You have received some extra motivation! Tonight you may use your ability twice.

bessie wrote:
Vic wrote:
LG wrote:If you were responsible for the thing that happened to me earlier, feel free just to crumb it rather than claiming in full.

I would greatly appreciate this too. Crumbing in a fairly unambiguous way should be not too difficult.
I bet you would. Vicarin, I seriously question your motivation in saying this, and what extra information you are trying to get out of it. You’ve already been fishing for LaserGuy to claim, now you’re really doubling down.

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Mon May 21, 2018 1:43 pm UTC

Alien Warfare Mafia:
Spoiler:
I seriously messed up. I got too much into the Illaman headspace. I should have instead NKed LaserGuy. My bad. Sorry Liri + Wam

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon May 21, 2018 1:54 pm UTC

Alien warfare
Spoiler:
Mark_Cangila wrote:Alien Warfare Mafia:
I seriously messed up. I got too much into the Illaman headspace. I should have instead NKed LaserGuy. My bad. Sorry Liri +5 Wam

I thought you did a fantastic job for your first game! I hope we get to play together soon.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Return to “Mafia”