The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

somitomi

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby somitomi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:42 pm UTC

Reversi
Spoiler:
Man, what's the point of being mafia, if you can't plot and scheme with your buddy? I'm also a bit uncertain on what town would do. What's clear is that town would try to lynch the towniest looking players and therefore the usual goal of looking as town as possible applies. However the NK strategy is a bit of a conundrum, because smart town might realise that mafia would aim for the scummy players and deliberately draw the NK to win. Now having realised that, I could aim for the neutral-ish people and we've got some fine wine before the game even started. We could try signaling each other, but I don't know how we could pull that off without town noticing. (The strategy of all mafia simply starting with "I'm mafia, kill me mate" crossed my mind, but a town roleblocker or doctor would immediately foil that).
On the plus side, I can basically change cop results on anyone to my liking and that feels like a very powerful thing. Powerful thing indeed... heheh.. hohohoho... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
—◯-◯ FG Discord

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:38 pm UTC

Reversi
Spoiler:
I'm excited to see who mentions doctors first in the thread, and whether that will get them townie points, or not because it is too obvious of a lynch-me-please claim.

Reversi Addendum
Spoiler:
Which seems a bit pointless to me as there is no reason for me to be truthful about my results. Will help me from a selfish strategy perspective.

*Headtilt*
Eliminating yourself doesn't guarantee a win; (for town that is; jesters, survivors or whatnot can be insta-win) it is just one step towards winning, and town still needs to be eliminated without your help after you're out.
Is it more selfish to abdicate responsibility, or to take command of the lynching?

Also... how would that even work? "I got a cop result of town on myself! We should lynch me first as the safe bet!"

And I'm sure Somitomi is cheering wildly on the inside at knowing who the cop is.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:37 am UTC

Reversi:
Spoiler:
Sorry for ignoring you Gojoe. I'm a town overworked doctor. I must protect two people each night, which may include myself. My ability feels seriously detrimental to town, and I feel like I want to die quickly, so my plan tonight is to doctor my two scummiest reads. I'm trying to think like scum!me would for the purposes of the night kill, as I want to avoid blocking a town kill. If scum kill townier looking players, it makes getting the lunch right harder. I think therefore scum kill choices should be unchanged from a normal game.

Todo: look up whether day chat is possible and decide if a freezeblade/wam double act is possible.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:27 pm UTC

Do we have anyone available for replacements who hasn't read spoilers?
Peaceful Whale seems to have fallen off the internet.

Well, perhaps next time.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 pm UTC

unfortunately i read spoilers :( :( i'm sorry
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:05 pm UTC

Reversi Mini
Spoiler:
My, small games seem to be particularly fast and thin.
I suppose larger games grow in both volume and duration faster than the number of players.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 pm UTC

Reversi:
Spoiler:
Yeah, small games don't work as well as somewhat larger games. I think the concept though is not a bad one, and would have worked well with more players. I realised quickly that I was probably the biggest threat to town's victory, and needed to get myself killed. With two forced doctor uses in such a small game, there was a high risk I'd accidentally block a kill, making things much harder. Furthermore, I wouldn't know who was the one I saved, so it doesn't have the pseudo cop effect that a regular doctor has. The only downside was the chance of two scum. However, as I assumed a 2 scum setup, my lynch would have resulted in a town win.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:11 pm UTC

Heck guys...
>.<

I completely forgot about this :P

I'm not as active online as I used to be because of school and stuff, and this just passed my mind. Im sorry that I failed >.<
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:58 pm UTC

Reversi
Spoiler:
Well, the cop power would have been far more interesting in a larger game. There's no chance to even consider sanities with just one use.

Peaceful Whale:
You'll have to get used to stopping by here on a regular basis, and try again later. Maybe set yourself an alarm to check in before bedtime :)

Reversi ++
Spoiler:
And we are at sudden death endgame. Wam will likely end up making the deciding vote, but I suppose that's obvious.

I can say I definitely like longer games where there is time to play with the powers and see what people come up with. On the other hand, the small games are a lot less work, so it isn't an issue to host if people like that instead.

Reversi +=2
Spoiler:
Hmm. Possible last-day strategy; everyone votes for themselves. Mafia then can't switch without instantly losing. Remaining townies can take their time to consider things without the mafia pressuring. As the deadline closes in, the threshold of confidence drops until someone takes the plunge.

If anyone starts with a vote for someone else, they are either a mafia about to lose, or they are a confident townie playing a dangerous game.
If anyone previously claimed to be reasonably confident, but declines to switch votes late in the day, then they are more and more likely to be the mafia player.

Therefore, mafia should try to project the least confidence on day N-1. I suppose they always need to project less confidence than reality since they know who is mafia, but it is a bit keener here and they can't just push one person to be the mislynch.

Return to “Mafia”