Help me get started (tabletop gaman)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

knight2417

Help me get started (tabletop gaman)

Postby knight2417 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:39 am UTC

I want to start playing some sort of tabletop game. It has to be something relatively cheap, and not overly time consuming. Your help in finding such a game would be appreciated.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Help me get started

Postby poxic » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:17 am UTC

Settlers of Catan is a popular favourite. When I used to hang out with a coworker, everyone at his house was happy to play that game, including neighbours and family.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:18 am UTC

Cheap and not time consuming are like opposites of tabletop gaming.

Do you play CCGs? (Magic et al.)
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:21 am UTC

Settlers of catan is a good one.

Also new versions of RISK come with a "quick" variation of play. In short, you have to get objectives, not just take over the world.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:20 am UTC

I've never played Risk. It looks like a lot of fun, though.
In fact, I've never played Settlers of Catan or a lot of other good tabletop games. :(

I need to get in on some local tabletop nights with friends or something.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Cheap and not time consuming are like opposites of tabletop gaming.

Do you play CCGs? (Magic et al.)

Well, he may be referring to board games (which are usually played on a tabletop!) like Monopoly. Any kind of game involving collectibles is going to be mind-numbingly expensive. TCGs are criminal in this - like $3.50 for a booster pack filled mostly with cards you don't want/need, and they roll out a new set of cards (and thusly eliminate an older set from many official competition formats) like every other damned month :?
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:17 pm UTC

There will always be a place for casual legacy games though...
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Minstrel

Postby Minstrel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

If you're looking for a RPG by any chance, and can find/order online a copy, try Castles & Crusades, published by Troll Lord Games. It's the core ruleset from 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons (called "d20") stripped of a lot of the fluff and number crunching from that game. The end result is a rules light, easy to pick up and learn, hard to "break", and easy to improvise fantasy RPG. Prep time is always an issue, but you could pick up most any oldschool AD&D (or probably 3rd edition) module and play without much or any preparation.

The only book you'd really need is the Player's Handbook, $19.95 currently.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

There's a company called Cheapass Games that sells really fun and unique games that utilize your existing game pieces (monopoly money, generic movement pieces, etc.) to save on cost.

Magic /can/ be extremely cheap depending on your local gaming/comic store. A couple around here sell cards for 5 or 10 cents each. Magic is set up so that you can have pretty effective and fun decks with just the common cards.

In a similar thread some used book stores or gaming stores sell used/old pen-and-paper RPGs. They are by their nature time consuming, but there might be some kind of game type you'd like.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

InstinctSage wrote:I've never played Risk. It looks like a lot of fun, though.

You've never played Risk!? Woah.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

I've only ever known one guy who owned the game. He was my roommate, but he was in the middle of a game with his mate, and we tended to play poker more often together anyway.

My family always played Pictionary or Trivial Pursuit or Monopoly and so forth.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: Help me get started (tabletop gaman)

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

I like risk, I like diplomacy more though, and they both take ages to play properly, best to do it in sessions.

I'm a fan of wizkids games, their click-tech games like Heroes (which allows you to pit heroes and villains from various comics against each other, they've got Marvel and DC as well as several indy labels) or Horror (let's you pit various horror movie monsters/etc. against eachother) are pretty fun and not too expensive compared to other tabletop games.

Mt favorite though is Pirates, which uses ships you build out of pieces punched out of cards and you sail around the table collecting treasure and fighting other pirates. They've got the rights to the Pirates of the Carribean movie for ships and characters, but they also have their own sets of original ships and characters.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:34 am UTC

There are online rulebooks for the D20 system, cheap, but slightly harder to use, being online.
(Don't have link on this compy)
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

knight2417

Postby knight2417 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:47 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I like risk, I like diplomacy more though, and they both take ages to play properly, best to do it in sessions.

I'm a fan of wizkids games, their click-tech games like Heroes (which allows you to pit heroes and villains from various comics against each other, they've got Marvel and DC as well as several indy labels) or Horror (let's you pit various horror movie monsters/etc. against eachother) are pretty fun and not too expensive compared to other tabletop games.

Mt favorite though is Pirates, which uses ships you build out of pieces punched out of cards and you sail around the table collecting treasure and fighting other pirates. They've got the rights to the Pirates of the Carribean movie for ships and characters, but they also have their own sets of original ships and characters.

Actually I used to play Pirates. I probably still would, but my only opponent stopped playing. Then I bunch of my ships were stolen including one SUPER RARE one :( . Ive tried the Halo Action Clix also, but again Im opponent-less.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:48 am UTC

In all of these things, in order to gain opponents buy two sides/decks/armies/whatever.

That's the point behind starter sets containing enough for two players.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Return to “Gaming”