Something that I can use a keyboard on

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Deep Fried Pickles

Something that I can use a keyboard on

Postby Deep Fried Pickles » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:09 am UTC

I'm sorry the title isn't very descriptive. Anyway, I'm looking for something that either has a built in keyboard or I can connect a keyboard to it for taking notes in class. It should (preferably) be cheap and I need to be able to transfer the notes to an actual computer. It can be old. Any ideas?

ash.gti

Re: Something that I can use a keyboard on

Postby ash.gti » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:15 am UTC

you mean like:

and a PDA?

It really depends on the PDA your using, but there are a lot of both... Thats if you don't want a laptop or a netbook.
# drinks WAY to much espresso

Deep Fried Pickles

Postby Deep Fried Pickles » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:36 am UTC

yes, something like that please.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

Getting a netbook is another option. See the EEE thread somewhere here.

[edit]Oh, ash.gti suggested this too. My apologies.
Last edited by Mzyxptlk on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Larson

Postby Larson » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

A potential solution depends on A.) your price range and B.) how ninja/compact the device needs to be. Give us a few more details and we can get some specifics for you.

As mentioned, a netbook or a PDA with a fold out keyboard would be solid choices. Older laptops can also serve your needs, assuming they have a decently functional battery.

tetsujin

Postby tetsujin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

If you're going for cheap, you might look for old Palm devices - like Palm III series and earlier. These all had the old cradle connector and ran on Alkaline batteries - so despite being old hardware you needn't worry much about battery viability... Then you would just want to transfer notes off the device as soon as possible, to manage the risk of battery drainage. My assumption that this will be a good, cheap solution is based on the fact that this was one of the few Palm cradle connectors that actually stuck around for a while, up to the peak of Palm's popularity - they introduced a new connector with the m500 line that was supposed to be universal for all their devices and make it easier for people to design add-on hardware, but I don't think it really caught on as an add-on system the way the original cradle connector did... The downside is that you'll need a serial port in order to be able to interface with the thing - so a USB-to-serial adapter may be necessary if you go this route.

The infrared keyboards like ash.gti mentioned would also work - these have the advantage of being hardware-compatible with almost any device you might want to connect with, then it's just a matter of getting the right software. An infrared keyboard may be the only viable option if you want to use a device that offers more data security than a RAM-only Palm would (for instance, flash memory, like on newer Palms or various WinCE devices...)

If you get yourself the right kind of keyboard, a solution like this will be substantially more compact than even a netbook would be... Though if you can't find a real good deal on this gear, I'd just go for the netbook. :)
---GEC
I want to create a truly new command-line shell for Unix.
Anybody want to place bets on whether I ever get any code written?

Return to “Hardware”