0588: "Pep Rally"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby philsov » Tue May 26, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

The conflicting claim that Football is popular while simulataneously no one likes it.

Who said "no one likes football"? I certainly didn't :?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

NotTheMessiah

Postby NotTheMessiah » Tue May 26, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

Obligatory Dead Kennedys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUjMWh1Q98
Jello Biafra wrote:You really like gorillas?
We've got just the pet for you
It's the way you're forced to act
To survive our schools

Make your whole life revolve around sports
Walk tough-don't act too smart
Be a mean machine
Then we'll let you get ahead

Jock-O-Rama-Save my soul
We're under the thumb of the Beef Patrol
The future of America is in their hands
Watch it roll over Niagara Falls
Pep rally in the holy temple
And you're forced to go
Masturbate en masse
With the favored religious cult
Cheerleaders yell-"Ra Ra Team"
From the locker room parades the prime beef
When archaeologists dig this up
They'll either laugh or cry

Jock-O-Rama - On the brain
Redneck-a-thon drivin' me insane
The future of America is in their hands
Unzip that old time religion
On the almighty football field
Beerbellies of all ages
Come to watch the gladiators bleed
"Now boys, this game ain't played for fun
You're going out there to win
How d'ya win?
Get out there
And snap the other guy's knee!"

Beat 'em up! Beat 'em up!
Ra Ra Ra
Snap those spinal cords
Ha Ha Ha

The star quarterback lies injured
Unconscious on the football field
Looks like his neck's been broken
Seems to happen somewhere every year

His mom and dad clutch themselves and cry
Their favorite son will never walk again
Coach says, "That boy gave a hundred percent
What spirit
What a man"

But who cares?
Games over-Let's go get wasted man
To the 7-11, to the liquor store
Let's party all night and party some more

Another Trans-Am
Wrapped itself around a telephone pole
"I ain't drunk, officer
I just fell gettin' out of my car"

Don't worry about it, son
We were that way when we were young
You've got all the skills
To make a damn good businessman

Jock-O-Rama-that's the law
Come lick the butts of the Beef Patrol
If the future of America is handed to them

Kow

Postby Kow » Tue May 26, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

My principal stopped my tenth grade homecoming pep rally (the only one we have each year) because when the crowd laughed at something, possibly someone getting hurt, he asked "You think that's funny?" and some stupid jock yelled "YEAH!" so he made everyone go back to class.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue May 26, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

EnderSword wrote:I often find the people who claim to have been the mostp icked on by these big bad popular kids were the real assholes who alienated the people who picked on them to begin with by bashing everything they did. Reminds me of a 30 Rock episode.

I have to say, I was pretty much one of those. I'm the biggest source of shame for my own high school life.

mastered

Postby mastered » Tue May 26, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

Ah, those are annoying. In fact, last year they were at least held after school, when of course we could just leave. But this year, in addition to taking away our block schedule, they make them during class - I mean, what the hell? You're both taking away from class time and making these things required for people with sensitive hearing. Seriously.
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

horselovergurl

Postby horselovergurl » Tue May 26, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

I hated pep rallies at my school. They were mandatory and we had about 4 or 5 a year, depending on how many the student government wanted. One time I remember some kids filled up water bottles with pee, opened up the bottles and started throwing in the bleachers. Thankfully, I was out on the field that day taking pictures. It was NASTY. Pep rallies sucked, and I totally love this comic. xD

firinne

Postby firinne » Wed May 27, 2009 2:06 am UTC

EnderSword wrote:The picked on kids were the people who were jerks or snotty enough that they eventually got picked on.

I never found that a quiet or non-insulting 'geek' ever got picked on. Passed over or not invited sometimes, yes, but not actively picked on.

Your experience, however, is not indicative of a general trend. I've been picked on while just (trying to) sleep on the bus rides to and from school, and I've seen a certain person go out of her/his/its way many times to intimidate, insult, and RL troll -- sometimes with total strangers like the poor freshman who was all worried about AP Bio... and several times with a friend of mine who was so sweet and inoffensive that she never reacted negatively or complained about it later. Sometimes kids are just plain mean, either by boredom or by pure personality.

VDOgamez

Postby VDOgamez » Wed May 27, 2009 3:13 am UTC

My physics teacher brought a decibel meter to one once. It peaked at 132 dB. We had just learned in class that sound can damage ears and cause pain at 120 dB. That is why I always hid from the assemblies and took a nap or something. That and the fact that they were miserable to sit in and I always sat with my hands over my ears and sweat dripping down my forehead.

For some reason my body needs an ambient temperature below 20 degrees, as opposed to a room temperature of 25...

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Wed May 27, 2009 3:20 am UTC

Pep rallies never happened at my high school. Mostly because we were shit at sports. We prided ourselves on our enclusive enviroment, our friendliness and saftey, and our more civilized conduct compared to other local schools. Not pep rally material.

Bear in mind people, I didn't go to a fancy private high school, that's just how we roll in Tantallon. Fuck yeah.

Or it used to be...god damned kids. Some kid, while I was walking the other day, shouted from the window of a moving car racial slurs against me for being white. I didn't see much of him, other than enough to notice he was white. My neighbourhood needs to go through some intellectual cleansing.

Infernox

Postby Infernox » Wed May 27, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

I wish our High School had more tribalis- I mean school spirit....actually I can't bring myself to care much about school spirit. hurray for apathy and all around boredom?

I think our last pep rally was killed when the Principal announced "This is NOT a pep rally, this is a way to show our school spirit"
... and we thought she was kidding at first. She wasn't.

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Thu May 28, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

Snowdream wrote:
EnderSword wrote:I guess I feel bad that you all had such sad, cynical childhoods where cheering or participating in something was so terrible and oppresive.

Lot of hatred in these comments towards people who did participate too, they must be morons or sluts or whores or jerks for taking part in sports and activities provided for them.

I often find the people who claim to have been the mostp icked on by these big bad popular kids were the real assholes who alienated the people who picked on them to begin with by bashing everything they did. Reminds me of a 30 Rock episode.

I noticed this too. To be honest, I think it just really highlights that they don't have school spirit because of the environment. Additionally, the rallies just bring together and then celebrate everything that lessens their spirit in the first place. You also don't have pep rallies where they celebrate the non-sport clubs. Go Drama Club go!!
In my senior year, our director bailed on us and the administration decided to cancel the musical that year so that we could "focus our attention on other activities." Yeah.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

mastered

Postby mastered » Sat May 30, 2009 12:25 am UTC

They've made them required. We had one just today [last one this year, thank god] and it was, at least, more subdued. [Lack of enthusiasm, anyone?] First they take away our block schedule, then they take away our class time and force us to hurt our ears. Seriously.
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

PieceofPi

Postby PieceofPi » Sat May 30, 2009 3:15 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Ahh, the advantages of homeschooling...

No comment.
I do not know where family doctors acquired illegibly perplexing handwriting; nevertheless, extraordinary pharmaceutical intellectuality, counterbalancing indecipherability, transcendentalizes intercommunications' incomprehensibleness.

Belgand

Postby Belgand » Sat May 30, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Also, it's not really underaged. They are 15-19 years old. And doing absolutely nothing sexual. Nothing more sexual than jumping around.

You clearly went to the wrong school. I recall one year when I was in high school when some people on the cheerleader squad (or was it drill team? Same difference, different outfits) and some people on one of the sports teams got into trouble for a routine that involved the guys doing push-ups over the girls with their legs spread enough to make the point glaringly obvious. Of course, that wasn't the only such incident, but the one to comes most immediately to mind.

We didn't, however, have any of this nonsense about rival schools. It was all just positive towards whatever team and usually would involve a grouping of different teams competing that season and performances from the cheerleading squad and/or drill team. Maybe two or three a year with one usually being scheduled if a team was going to state finals or such. I actually recall one time when the debate squad (which I was on) actually got a substantial portion of the time because we'd been doing really well that year. It was weird.

All in all as much as I dislike the ideas behind them and taking away class time it was largely just an excuse to go sit in the gym on uncomfortable seats, find a seat somewhere over in the corner where I wouldn't be bothered and spend an hour reading. On a practical level it was about the same as waiting at the DMV and a nice chance to get the school to actually give me some time to spend reading.

Kalos wrote:And @ the cheerleader comment: when they're the same age as you are you generally don't think of them as "scantily clad underage girls" as more as "your classmates."

Correction, your scantily-clad classmates that it is still considered socially acceptable for you to lust over if any of them manage to meet your particular fancy. Sadly, attractive cheerleaders seems to be the larger myth. At least, I could find nothing to support it as being statistically better than average.

aleflamedyud wrote:Why does everyone keep saying this? Did your high school ... Win its independence from the neighboring school district by blood, sweat, and tears? Control the flow of people from neighboring school districts in?

Yes, actually. Back in 1995 Blue Valley was out on the edge of the unincorporated part of the county. It was only through a lot of hard times and no small number of casualties that we were successfully able to defend ourselves from the encroachment of the Olathe school district and remain a free-held district subject to the whims of no man... except for those duly elected to the state school board. On the day that the borders finally closed and we were left alone by ourselves I had some friends who were away on a field trip that took them out into the territory of the Shawnee Mission district. By the time 2:45 rolled around and they weren't to be found we all knew that they were forever lost out there and we'd never see them again. I mean, yeah, during debate meets and on the weekends, yes, but they were forever trapped beyond that cold, hard bureaucratic curtain.

In short: not funny, not cool, not a good comment.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sun May 31, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

Master Gunner wrote:I've never being to one, but from what I've heard, they're not that good. Especially since my school doesn't really have cheerleaders.......(think about that for a second)

My school was all-male. We still had pep rallies.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:17 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:I've never being to one, but from what I've heard, they're not that good. Especially since my school doesn't really have cheerleaders.......(think about that for a second)

My school was all-male. We still had pep rallies.

The person who was recognized as the first cheerleader was male. Perpetuating gender stereotypes is Orwellian (somehow).

Belgand wrote:
Kalos wrote:And @ the cheerleader comment: when they're the same age as you are you generally don't think of them as "scantily clad underage girls" as more as "your classmates."

Correction, your scantily-clad classmates that it is still considered socially acceptable for you to lust over if any of them manage to meet your particular fancy. Sadly, attractive cheerleaders seems to be the larger myth. At least, I could find nothing to support it as being statistically better than average.

Also, the "popular snotty cheerleader" myth only exists in the minds of the woefully antisocial members of this forum who didn't realize their high school careers weren't Saved by the Bell. Really, the whole myth of cliques of homogeneous friends (the jocks, the cheerleaders, the preps, the goths, etc) is also a creation that exists solely in television.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

I am quite proud of being the first one in my school's history ever to get busted for cutting a pep rally.
Where did I go instead? Janitor's closet with a lady? Parking lot to get high?
Try the library to read my Biology book. A teacher came in and made me go to the stupid rally. When I got there, every single person (no exaggeration; teachers included) was wearing their class T-shirts (a different design for each grade; my class's was red) and jumping up and screaming.
They aren't even clever. They shout, "Sophomores! Sophomores! Sophomores!..." (insert their grade). That really pissed me off because our class had actually come up with an almost not entirely moronic cheer, and they didn't even use it! They hear the Freshmen start hollering, and they respond with their class name.
They were making me put up with that crap, so, when the Seniors started singing their little song (which was a hideously butchered form of Another Brick In The Wall Part II), I, during one of the breaks between the lines in the chorus, shouted "Seniors suck."
I got some bad looks. I don't understand that; I was showing spirit, wasn't I?
Anyways, the best part was seeing the pictures show up on Facebook the next day. You could hardly even tell who was who because everyone was out of their seats stomping and screaming in the same exact red shirt. I, on the other hand, was sitting quite conspicuously on the side wearing (as usual) a black shirt and black pants with my Biology book in my hands.
Heh, as if that wasn't great enough, I just dug around on Facebook to see if I could find those pictures to post on here, and I figured out that the owner had deleted/cropped the pictures I was in so that I didn't ruin the image of overwhelming class spirit.

Edit:
Kalos wrote:Also, the "popular snotty cheerleader" myth only exists in the minds of the woefully antisocial members of this forum who didn't realize their high school careers weren't Saved by the Bell. Really, the whole myth of cliques of homogeneous friends (the jocks, the cheerleaders, the preps, the goths, etc) is also a creation that exists solely in television.

Did you...go to high school?
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

EnderSword

Postby EnderSword » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

It never seems to occur to people that taking pride in ditching those things, or taking extreme pride in mocking cheerleaders might be why the cheerleaders act like bitches towards you in the first place.

High Schools certainly do have Cliques, but I find its often the opposite that people portray it.

The top or 'popular' clique is usually huge. If your school has 1000 people in it, I bet your most Popular clique hangs out with about 300-400 of them.
there's usually a huge group who interchangably go to parties and all talk to each other and socialize on some level. Everyone has their close friends, but basically there's intercommunication between a large mass of people.

Under the is usually groups of 4-10 people more broken up, not intersocializing much just keep to their own group. They aren't excluded, but also aren't invited. If they showed up at a party likely no one would kick them out, but they don't get invited and they don't tend to go if the were invited anyway. just normal people no one has any problem with, but also no particular use for.

And after that is similar sized groups but who are actively excluded, people dislike them, for reasons justified or unjustified.
That is then strongly reinforced usually by the feedback you get from those people. if they go all bitter, or turn into a goth or some other such thing, they're pretty much going to be disliked more and more, retroactively justifying it even in cases it wasn't originally justified.

I know a lot of people here may have been in that last group, but few of them seem to consider that yelling 'Seniors sucks' or calling a cheerleader a stuck up slut might be why you ended up there, or at least why you stay there.

There are popular smart kids, popular disabled kids, popular ugly kids etc... but there's actually rarely many popular 'I shit on everything everyone else does' kids because people don't Like those guys.

People in general want to have fun, they may differ in what they find fun...but fairly universally no one likes the people wanting to ruin everyone else's fun. I know if you're ap erson who gets picked up, you probably say 'Well they do that to me' but you're in an exceptional position...they don't do that to most people, they just really don't like you specifically. So its targetted to individuals, not a broad 'everyone sucks and you're all dumb!'

This forum does probably over-represent that segment, but that's just how things looked from that specific angles, the reality is not really like that.
WWSD?*
*what would Sheldon do?

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 am UTC

Fat Tony wrote:Edit:
Kalos wrote:Also, the "popular snotty cheerleader" myth only exists in the minds of the woefully antisocial members of this forum who didn't realize their high school careers weren't Saved by the Bell. Really, the whole myth of cliques of homogeneous friends (the jocks, the cheerleaders, the preps, the goths, etc) is also a creation that exists solely in television.

Did you...go to high school?

Yes, I went to a High School of about 1500 kids spread over three grades, in a town where (quite literally) the only two places to live were extremely expensive houses and trailer parks, so naturally there was a rather large split of wealth. However, there was no real gap between "rich kids" and "poor kids" that teen movies love to show off. I mean, there was obviously "the jocks" and "the goths" to a certain level, however, that's merely because people will tend to hang out with people of similar interests, but it was never this impenetrable group of steadfast friends who refused to intermingle, in which the "popular" clique was a bunch of rich kids at war with the "unpopular kids."

Using my own core group of friends (the people I'd socialize and hang out with on a daily basis) as an example, the group was made up of a pretty solid mix of the social spectrum, a few of the really popular kids, a decent array of various "nerds" (tech/band/drama/art/academic), a fair number of stoners and slackers, couple jocks (mostly swimmers and soccer players if you wanna get specific), and a few of the so-called "popular" kids that were usually in the loop for whatever parties were happening.

There were a couple "no friends" groups, not that they actually had no friends, but just groups for 4 or 5 friends who rarely, and then only brifely interacted with other groups and tended to scorn outsiders. However, these groups weren't because they were just SO DAMN POPULAR that nobody could be friends with them (if that concept even makes sense, you have no business continuing to live) but usually that between a mix of outward antagonism, as well as harassing from other groups, they all turned inward on each other.

However, that never stopped the school administration, as well as supposed Peer Leadership groups to try to shake things up by having stuff like sit-at-a-different-lunch-table day... which usually just made every group that ate lunch together shift one table over.

Addled

Postby Addled » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

So apparently my school was the only one that burned an effigy of the opposing team? That is both comforting and a little surprising.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:44 am UTC

Kalos wrote:Yes, I went to a High School of about 1500 kids spread over three grades, in a town where (quite literally) the only two places to live were extremely expensive houses and trailer parks, so naturally there was a rather large split of wealth. However, there was no real gap between "rich kids" and "poor kids" that teen movies love to show off. I mean, there was obviously "the jocks" and "the goths" to a certain level, however, that's merely because people will tend to hang out with people of similar interests, but it was never this impenetrable group of steadfast friends who refused to intermingle, in which the "popular" clique was a bunch of rich kids at war with the "unpopular kids."

Using my own core group of friends (the people I'd socialize and hang out with on a daily basis) as an example, the group was made up of a pretty solid mix of the social spectrum, a few of the really popular kids, a decent array of various "nerds" (tech/band/drama/art/academic), a fair number of stoners and slackers, couple jocks (mostly swimmers and soccer players if you wanna get specific), and a few of the so-called "popular" kids that were usually in the loop for whatever parties were happening.

There were a couple "no friends" groups, not that they actually had no friends, but just groups for 4 or 5 friends who rarely, and then only brifely interacted with other groups and tended to scorn outsiders. However, these groups weren't because they were just SO DAMN POPULAR that nobody could be friends with them (if that concept even makes sense, you have no business continuing to live) but usually that between a mix of outward antagonism, as well as harassing from other groups, they all turned inward on each other.

However, that never stopped the school administration, as well as supposed Peer Leadership groups to try to shake things up by having stuff like sit-at-a-different-lunch-table day... which usually just made every group that ate lunch together shift one table over.

Pretty much the same. There was a group of people who could be considered popular at my old high school, but that was because they were increadibly nice, outgoing people. There were few, if any, groups that were split apart based on some unsubstantial personality trait.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:44 am UTC

I guess I forgot to mention that I go to a private school and am part of a class of about 60.
Also, keep in mind that people like me have reasons we react negatively to pep rallies and the like. One of these is that we are forced to attend these things. They don't force the entire student body to give up valuable class time when they could be receiving the education they're paying $15,000 a year for to get everybody hyped up about the weekend-long sleepless Dungeons and Dragons gaming session that will be taking place in the near future; why should they do the same thing for some stupid football game?
Wait a minute, my school doesn't even have a football team. It's for a freaking basketball or lacrosse game or something (but not swimming, the one sport I actually do take part in).
I agree with what somebody else said previously in that, from what I've seen, nerds who keep to themselves tend to be left alone. I, however, am not a nerd (not that I have anything against nerds); I am a freak (by their terms, anyways). We freaks aren't so lucky as the nerds. I don't go out of my way to stick out, mind you, but my lifestyle pisses these people off.
Why?
I think for myself. They don't like that. What enrages them even more is seeing me with my friends from other schools because it shows that people actually like me. I recently (over the last few months) became good friends with a freshman at my school, and a good number of her old "friends" will no longer talk to her because they can't stand the fact that she not only associates with me but enjoys my presence.
Oh, also, keeping in mind that this is such a tiny private school, you can imagine how there are a million other people there just like me that I can hang out with, right?
Ah well. I'm not trying to complain, it just bothers me that some people here are seeming to disregard completely the possibility that some schools might actually be a little bit like you see in the movies.
</rant>

EnderSword

Postby EnderSword » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:15 am UTC

I think for myself. They don't like that.

Yup, that's exactly it...and the other girls are just Jealous 'cause the cheerleaders are pretty, and the shunned Wicca practicer is only disliked because he makes people uncomfortable with their conformist religions, and the loud mouth arrogant prick is only disliked because others can't take the truth and the racist is only disliked because people can't take a joke and the homicidal killer is only persecuted because they can't see he'll become a dragon someday.

Everyone hates you because of the good thing about you, yup, that's why. -

This usually happens because you tell them you don't think they think for themselves. It's a total cop out self serving excuse for being an anti-social prick.
WWSD?*
*what would Sheldon do?

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

Sudo-Fu wrote:Is it only my school that makes pep fests mandatory? Like, they put teachers on all the exits to make sure you don't just leave and go home?

Nope, mine does that too. Our gym only has two exits, and they are both heavily guarded by teachers. Then you have the teachers sitting in the crowd, that always ask why you aren't cheering with everyone, and then lecture you about how important school spirit and unity are.
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

EnderSword wrote:
I think for myself. They don't like that.

Yup, that's exactly it...and the other girls are just Jealous 'cause the cheerleaders are pretty, and the shunned Wicca practicer is only disliked because he makes people uncomfortable with their conformist religions, and the loud mouth arrogant prick is only disliked because others can't take the truth and the racist is only disliked because people can't take a joke and the homicidal killer is only persecuted because they can't see he'll become a dragon someday.

Everyone hates you because of the good thing about you, yup, that's why. -

This usually happens because you tell them you don't think they think for themselves. It's a total cop out self serving excuse for being an anti-social prick.

You caught me; I'm just an anti-social prick. I like having no friends, so I treat everyone horribly and that's why people at my school don't like me. It has nothing to do with the fact that some people actually are that horrible and will still treat someone terribly even when that person consistently goes out of his way to help people out whenever he can.
Yeah.
Nobody on the planet could possibly be closed-minded enough to be mean to someone who is different than them. That never happens, especially not in high school.

Edit: Also note that I have on quite a few occasions asked or had people ask others why they hate me so much. Invariably, their responses go something along the lines of, "Because he's him," or some lame excuse like "Tony is not his real name."
What a fiend I am to go by my middle name.
Also note that it is only at my school where I am treated this way. In most social situations, I fit in pretty well (or am at least treated kindly/respectfully).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”