Stairgate: Universe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Stargate: Universe

Postby SlyReaper » Sat May 01, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

Alien dinosaurs in space. SGU gets +1 awesome point for that. And God knows it needs it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 01, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:I suspect all of us are watching this only to rip on it.
And I'm cool with that.

Yeah. If threads like this weren't around for me to post weekly rants in, I would likely have stopped watching a long time ago.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat May 01, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Hey, lets all go into the tunnel where I lost the Kino, this totally isn't foreshadowing or anything...

So close to Cloe getting eaten by a spider too, damn sharp-eyed soldiers. :cry:

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sat May 01, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

I hate Scott, and I hate that Eli and Chloe look up to him for leadership.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 01, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

Ysn's rant, stardate 201005: People constantly bickering does not good TV make.

Ysn's rant, supplemental: Shaky hand-held cameras are annoying.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 02, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Come now, it's not completely unwatchable. (Now there's a rousing endorsement.)

Wanna bet that the baby's going to be born during the series season finale?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun May 02, 2010 12:39 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Come now, it's not completely unwatchable. (Now there's a rousing endorsement.)

It's teetering on the edge of unwatchability.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sun May 02, 2010 1:11 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Ysn's rant, supplemental: Shaky hand-held cameras are annoying.

Funny thing is, they don't have to be. They weren't for BS:G. But it's like the people who are shooting Universe have no idea how to use it properly or effectively.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun May 02, 2010 1:15 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Ysn's rant, supplemental: Shaky hand-held cameras are annoying.

Funny thing is, they don't have to be. They weren't for BS:G. But it's like the people who are shooting Universe have no idea how to use it properly or effectively.

It's one of things that can be great in small amounts, but is very annoying when it's overused.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun May 02, 2010 1:31 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Wanna bet that the baby's going to be born during the series season finale?

Or a miscarriage. Nothing like miscarriages to create compelling original drama. Kind of like compelling original characters that have a dead spouse and/or an abusive* parent in their backgrounds...

I'm seriously wondering if the first female character they give backstory to will have been raped. (Possibly triggering tvtropes link)

* For certain values of "abusive", that include the abuser knocking over piles of bricks and drinking beer.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun May 02, 2010 1:43 am UTC

Better yet, the baby is born to be immediately killed in some civilian/military power struggle. Or kidnapped by aliens. Or left on a planet.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 02, 2010 2:07 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Better yet, the baby is born to be immediately killed in some civilian/military power struggle. Or kidnapped by aliens. Or left on a planet.
The baby is a Time Lord who will be born with the knowledge of how to return to Earth!

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sun May 02, 2010 2:20 am UTC

I think TJ will be kidnapped by aliens who will experiment on her, but then she'll escape and give birth in Destiny with the help of Kate Chloe.
I just compared the show with lost! how original is that?! YEAH
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 02, 2010 3:23 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:(Possibly triggering tvtropes link)
Curses, I thought I could resist! I was wrong!!!

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sun May 02, 2010 10:41 am UTC

A: Shakycam is an offense punishable by sodomy in my universe.
B: Resist linking to tvtropes if possible. When people ask how addictive crack is, people say "Man, that shit is like tvtropes."

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sun May 02, 2010 11:17 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:A: Shakycam is an offense punishable by sodomy in my universe.

What, like unwilling sodomy? That sounds... well, yeah, I don't like your universe. Shakycam can be done well, when the technique itself isn't more noticeable than what's actually on the screen. BS:G found that balance, and dozens of films have too.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun May 02, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:A: Shakycam is an offense punishable by sodomy in my universe.

What, like unwilling sodomy? That sounds... well, yeah, I don't like your universe. Shakycam can be done well, when the technique itself isn't more noticeable than what's actually on the screen. BS:G found that balance, and dozens of films have too.

Good shakycam is like a professional camera man following the action without being aware of what's going to happen next.
Bad shakycam is like your 75 year old uncle Albert with Parkinson's disease getting hold of your shitty old video camera from 1985.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sun May 02, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

Yeah, it's like Ysn said. Trouble is that shakycam is like fanfic. Everyone wants to try it, but most do it horribly wrong to the point where it's usually best avoided alltogether.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 08, 2010 12:16 am UTC

So, just for the record before this next episode starts, the things that studyinserendipity called during the last episode, without previously being introduced to any of the characters:
Blondy being pregnant.
Baby being Colonel's.
Love-triangle thing between Scott, Eli, and Chloe.
Eli being the obvious and awkward third wheel in said triangle.

We're hoping she'll get here tonight in time to predict more things before the episode starts...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 08, 2010 1:15 am UTC

Goddammit,
Spoiler:
I was just thinking I'd be pissed if the three lost folks magically showed up on Destiny without any prior explanation, and then the three lost folks magically showed up on Destiny without any prior explanation. Also, Eli actually used the phrase "third wheel"... (see above).
---

(he/him/his)

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat May 08, 2010 2:50 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Goddammit,
Spoiler:
I was just thinking I'd be pissed if the three lost folks magically showed up on Destiny without any prior explanation, and then the three lost folks magically showed up on Destiny without any prior explanation. Also, Eli actually used the phrase "third wheel"... (see above).

Bugged the hell outta me too.
Spoiler:
I was anticipating a several-episode mad dash through the gate system to catch up with the ship with various hijinks along the way. A twist climax is clever... except when the twist is that THERE IS NO CLIMAX. Liked the interaction with Rush and his old almost-flame. That made him likable and human far more than that crap with his wife. The ending was pretty good surprise-wise since we only had time to think "where'd he go?" before it ended so we didn't have enough time to find it lame. Won't it still take thousands of years to get to the next galaxy? I think I've worked out another reason why SU isn't as good as SG. It's like a reality show where everyone is a shut-in. On SG they spent enough of the episode on the planet for us to get a feel for it as a "place". The dim lighting doesn't help either.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat May 08, 2010 6:17 am UTC

I think they're overcharacterizing. Camille (I seriously *dislike* knowing her name...) and her girlfriend aren't anything I could give two shits about, nor are Colonel Young and his wife, Greer's father's abusive behavior toward bricks, Scott's issues with faith - I just don't fucking care. None of that has anything to do with what I'm (ostensibly) watching the show for: cool stuff happening with stargates and spaceships and alien planets.

I haven't seen much of Atlantis, but SG-1 has episodes that involve O'Neill's kid, old friends or colleagues of DanielJackson, Fraser's adopted alien daughter, Carter and a love interest, Teal'c and his family or a group of rebels... And the vast majority of those were directly related or just were SG-1 missions.

If they want to have a space pregnancy, fine, but deal with it in the context of space exploration missions, not in the same exact way every other god damn show on television deals with a pregnancy: I'm pregnant, oh no, do I tell the father, do I have the baby, oh no how do I tell him, oh I'm going to have the baby I've decided because no one on TV shows gets abortions unless it's some crime drama, you're the father and I decided I'm keeping it and I thought you should know blah blah freaking blah. The thing with Rush and the science chick was at least a little bit related to the plot, but still a tad forced. And I don't care about anything Chloe does ever that isn't offworld...er, offship...ashore? Stairmaster? Hamstray?
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sat May 08, 2010 6:39 am UTC

Spoiler:
Too bad nothing happened between Rush and the respirator girl...that guy needs to get laid since episode 1.
Also, when the show began, i figured the'yd use some excuse to stop using the stones: With them, it's like the guys from Lost had a cellphone

One thing I thought was actually pretty cool (Can I make positive comment, or is this the wrong crowd?) was when Camille and the other girl got their bodies back and, by the time Camille looked up, Rush was already making notes. This was him shielding himself so loudly that I felt I finally got to see some human in there

Tings that have already been said here:
-the lost guys just came back? wtf, I expected a several episode arc about them trying to get back to destiny!
-I don't give a shit about Camille (the reason we now remember her name is that Rush repeats it a few times towards the end of the episode) and her girlfriend

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 08, 2010 11:29 am UTC

I wonder if anyone actually watches this show for face entertainment value.

Consulting google yields:

"SGU is awesome": 179 results
"SGU is good": 107 results
"SGU is bad": 11,700 results
"SGU is terrible": 1120 results

I even found a website dedicated to how bad SGU is.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 08, 2010 12:14 pm UTC

Regarding Rush and the quadruplegic scientist:
Spoiler:
When he was whining about how it's like his wife just died again, we were all hoping she'd say something like, "Listen, man, I'm sure that must be really difficult for you and everything, but I can't fucking move *anything* below my neck back on Earth, and will never have a normal sexual relationship, ever. So could we please at least just make out or something?"
---

(he/him/his)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat May 08, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Regarding Rush and the quadruplegic scientist:
Spoiler:
When he was whining about how it's like his wife just died again, we were all hoping she'd say something like, "Listen, man, I'm sure that must be really difficult for you and everything, but I can't fucking move *anything* below my neck back on Earth, and will never have a normal sexual relationship, ever. So could we please at least just make out or something?"

He was probably thinking how awkward it would be if something interrupted the mind link mid-shag.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat May 08, 2010 12:30 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, it's that one-in-a-million happening where it could be considered improper not to bang someone.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat May 08, 2010 3:49 pm UTC

I did like Brody building a still though. Probably the first thing I'd do :P

Spoiler:
So what happened to Franklin (chair guy)?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 08, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:I did like Brody building a still though. Probably the first thing I'd do :P

I wonder where they got that idea.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat May 08, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Isn't having alcohol around a bunch of people who have nothing better to do all day than get hammered just asking for trouble? Also, what are they making it from? It's not like the food is so plentiful that they can afford to waste any of it on luxury items.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 08, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

Well you can make ethanol from less appetizing parts of plants.
---

(he/him/his)

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat May 08, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:Isn't having alcohol around a bunch of people who have nothing better to do all day than get hammered just asking for trouble? Also, what are they making it from? It's not like the food is so plentiful that they can afford to waste any of it on luxury items.

Maybe it's not just luxury, but also used in the medical bay?

And yeah, you can make booze from just about anything that contains sugar or starch, including waste

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 08, 2010 7:44 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:Isn't having alcohol around a bunch of people who have nothing better to do all day than get hammered just asking for trouble? Also, what are they making it from? It's not like the food is so plentiful that they can afford to waste any of it on luxury items.

Morale is quite important in situations like that. Even if it's spending precious resources, poor morale is also harmful.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 08, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

Well, at least they didn't take the really predictable route:
Spoiler:
I was fully expecting that it would turn out that the quadruplegic scientist was behind the engine's explosion, simply because she expected that it would make the repair take longer so she could stay aboard ship longer.
I'm not sure if the way it really turned out is better or worse.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat May 08, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

Spoiler:
It was my impression that it was the fat guy who first sat in the chair who sabotaged the engine, because his magic-chair-acquired wisdoms told him that it would increase efficiency.

On another note, has anyone here ever heard of something increasing efficiency if part of it blows up?

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun May 09, 2010 9:57 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
On another note, has anyone here ever heard of something increasing efficiency if part of it blows up?

They actually explained it fairly well - in fridge logic terms. To be fair, I don't expect anything more than fridge logic from this show.

Spoiler:
I'm starting to like Rush now. He's been getting better after the whole chair thing.

And yeah, I'm annoyed at the random dial-in at the beginning. I was expecting them to go back to the planet with the crashed ship and for Chloe to have a little moment of awesome, courtesy of her temporary alien captors, in which she piloted it through hyperspace to catch up with Destiny. I might have hated her less after that. But alas.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue May 11, 2010 4:10 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

He was probably thinking how awkward it would be if something interrupted the mind link mid-shag.

I know I was.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue May 11, 2010 6:22 pm UTC

To be honest, I was surprised that didn't happen.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 11, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

If they had done the deed, wouldn't that technically be rape against Camille?

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue May 11, 2010 7:26 pm UTC

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YES! Why won't this fad DIE! For Fucks Sake man!
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”