0651: "Bag Check"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dennisw

Re: "Bag Check" Discussion

Postby dennisw » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:45 am UTC

cout wrote:
TriangleChair wrote:You know in 1998 or so, I went on a plane and being young I was allowed to sit in the pilot seat and mess around with the steering thingy.

Think I'd have a chance of that now? :D

Do you like movies about gladiators?

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Nachtjager

Postby Nachtjager » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:59 am UTC

I would honestly be more worried about the safety and reliability of the aircraft. When airline budgets get tight, they look for places to cut costs, back in the day they were limited by the government. Now with SMS and simmilar systems companies are allowed to police themselves and the government agencies only act on information the companies give them or as a result of an accident. Another option is outsourcing to companies in other countries such as Aeroman in San Salvadore: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =113942431

hirogen

Postby hirogen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:59 am UTC

Hmm. With all the discussions about airport (in)security, what about the risk of counterfeit components on aircraft avionics?

seems that even the DoD has been stung by this, having die-free expensive $$$$$$ FPGAs.#

TBH, this scares me more than some nutjob with a hacked portable DVD player (iirc they use Lipo batteries which are EVEN MORE UNSTABLE)

Don't even get me started on fuel cells.
Oh, and did you know that the li+ cells used on portable defibrillators have been known to go Hindenburg for no apparent reason, these have been responsible for a few fires.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

Lithium's only got one valence electron, so why are you surprised that its ions would be hyperreactive?

And Nachtjager, the threat of lawsuits in case of negligence is reason enough to stop an airline from doing stupid things(IIRC, most plane crashes are due to design defects).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

ScaldingHotSoup

Postby ScaldingHotSoup » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

I thought it'd be fitting to revive this topic in the light of the attempted terrorist attack by airplane recently.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/26/airline.attack/index.html

SEE

Postby SEE » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

stickler

Re: 0651: "Bag Check"

Postby stickler » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 am UTC

I look for a video of this actually happening when this comic was released, and found none. Happily the BBC have made it happen:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25733346
Not quite as big as a hand grenade though.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”