INTRO THREAD 2.0: INTRODUCE YOURSELF OR PERISH!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Froodulous

Postby Froodulous » Wed May 23, 2007 7:43 am UTC

I'm going to introduce myself here as well as the last intro thread, just for the sake of it.

hello, British, 17, taking AS-levels, all the sciences, maths and further maths.

Also, I play the piano, saxaphone and drums.

I read a fairly large number of webcomics (31 read on a regular basis and 2 more for which I am planning on reading through the archives)

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 23, 2007 7:44 am UTC

that is quite nice, too!

SCR=Silicon-controlled Rectifier?
Where'd you get those?

Aw man, you people all have such cool things to use at your disposal!

But how does it actually work? When you "push the button", the scr's close the circuit between the caps and the coil, creating a rapid increase in current, inducing a high magnetic flow in the coil, and by lenz the object inside is catapulted outside?
The harder you try, the dumber you look

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Wed May 23, 2007 8:08 am UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:that is quite nice, too!

SCR=Silicon-controlled Rectifier?
Where'd you get those?

Aw man, you people all have such cool things to use at your disposal!

But how does it actually work? When you "push the button", the scr's close the circuit between the caps and the coil, creating a rapid increase in current, inducing a high magnetic flow in the coil, and by lenz the object inside is catapulted outside?

We got the SCR's from my friend's boss, who had them laying around - he works for a small company making test machines. The capacitors we ordered off of Ebay, and we borrowed the power supplys from our physics lab at school. The various switches and e-stops we had around. It's on a board of some kind of compressed plastic that does not conduct, forget what it's called.

We turn a switch to the left, which opens the circuit from the power supply to the capacitors. Switch it back to the middle position, and the capacitors are isolated, and then to the right which puts them in the circuit with the coil. Press the button above the 3-way switch, and that closes the circuit with the capacitors and the coil. Press the E-stop, and it discharged the capacitors through the ground (via the third SCR).

Basically, it works by sending a huge spike of power through the coil, propelling the metal object inside. We were dealing with too much power to feel safe using a physical switch, which is why we used the SCR's for all the switching. We didn't have much time to get an effecient coil, but the bb's we were shooting out with it were penetrating an aluminum soda can.
Lurker Extraordinaire

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 23, 2007 9:06 am UTC

what do you mean "too much power to use a physical switch"?

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Wed May 23, 2007 9:15 am UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:what do you mean "too much power to use a physical switch"?

The main concern was power loss. There is little sense in getting huge capacitors and then losing 30% of your power through loss at the switch. With a SCR, there was a lot less resistance. When you turn on a light, you aren't concerned with losing a little bit of energy there, but with the gauss gun it's all about the surge of energy.
Lurker Extraordinaire

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 23, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Well, i thought of something like this
See more here
That site is hot!

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Wed May 23, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:Well, i thought of something like this
See more here
That site is hot!

If you look at his capacitor bank, you will notice that he uses a SCR also. We were dealing with near the same amount of power - 18800 Microfarads vs 7200 for us (although we were charging them to 450V, which reduces that difference a bit)

We've had a railgun planned for a while, but since we go to school 300 miles apart, it will have to wait a bit.
Lurker Extraordinaire

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed May 23, 2007 9:40 am UTC

Froodulous wrote:hello, British, 17, taking ASS-levels, all the sciences, maths and further maths.

hehe

Anyway, for those who don't know me: I'm Dave, I'm 22 and I'm currently a Masters student doing simulations in condensed matter physics at Vic in Wellington, New Zealand, and in September I'm heading over to Halifax in Canader to do a PhD in (computational) astronomy.

I also play trombone, guitar and Halo.

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 23, 2007 10:45 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:I also play trombone

Yeah! Trombone! You rock, man! Go trombonists!

SpitValve wrote:guitar

Even better! Yay for guitar-playing trombonists!

SpitValve wrote:and Halo.

meh.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed May 23, 2007 11:28 am UTC

Musicians for the win!

Also for all you Scrabble-y people: I have memorized all the two-letter words (including the two new ones: "za" and "qi"--no kidding), and am working on the three-letter ones, although there are a lot more of those...

*intimidation*
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:16 pm UTC

Ren wrote:Musicians for the win!

Also for all you Scrabble-y people: I have memorized all the two-letter words (including the two new ones: "za" and "qi"--no kidding), and am working on the three-letter ones, although there are a lot more of those...

*intimidation*

My secret weapon is the drug used in the Somali war similar to cocoa - green leafy plant that they chew....3 letters, and it saves my ass every time :D
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Wed May 23, 2007 12:46 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Wait...fuck...you can trade kids for DOUGHNUTS?!!?!?!!!?!????

I need to rethink the whole childfree thing...

Is it wrong to want to knock someone up in order to trade the kid for a lifetime supply of doughnuts? Would I have to share the doughnuts? Would there be a custody battle over said doughnuts?

Radio Free Eurasia

Postby Radio Free Eurasia » Wed May 23, 2007 12:50 pm UTC

*intimidation*

Yes, but do you play defensively, memorizing what letters are available so that you can imagine what words your opponent will be able to play and stymie them accordingly?

I don't, because I play scrabble to write the funniest words, not the most point laden words.

Also, from post earlier, define "indie music" and specifically, vinyl. I couple years ago I found this absolutely diesel (to use the vernacular) record store in Princeton and I've been broke ever since.
Even Richard Nixon has got soul.

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Wed May 23, 2007 12:57 pm UTC

Radio Free Eurasia wrote:

*intimidation*

Yes, but do you play defensively, memorizing what letters are available so that you can imagine what words your opponent will be able to play and stymie them accordingly?

No, becasue the true purpose of scrabble is to impress people with your vocabulary, right?

Radio Free Eurasia

Postby Radio Free Eurasia » Wed May 23, 2007 1:07 pm UTC

McLurker wrote:
No, becasue the true purpose of scrabble is to impress people with your vocabulary, right?

I thought that was also the point of messageboards.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Wed May 23, 2007 1:14 pm UTC

Arbivark here, the arbitrary aardvark.
Not very good Webcomic

I'm an internet addict and was looking for another place to waste time.
Had something to say in a thread a few days ago but by the time i'd registered i lost the link was going to post.
Stuff about me? I am have some law degrees I don't use - writer's block, emotional problems, lack of competence... so i currently make a living renting my body to drug companies for medical experiments.
I useta be one of wil wheaton's minions
I've gotten a couple articles posted to slashdot recently. I have no life.
Started reading xkcd last year, but recently it gets mentioned everywhere
(if by everywhere one means say, boingboing, /.)
Qat: I has a qat.

Please have at least 10 posts before putting up links, especially that many.

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Wed May 23, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

McLurker wrote:

I thought that was also the point of messageboards.

Which is why you find so many people online who play scrabble.

Radio Free Eurasia

Postby Radio Free Eurasia » Wed May 23, 2007 2:45 pm UTC

McLurker wrote:Which is why you find so many people online who play scrabble.

Also, I've found that some of the people who devote themselves to scrabble are those who don't devote themselves, say, to joining fraternities and eschewing online exploits.

saibot834

Postby saibot834 » Wed May 23, 2007 4:36 pm UTC

Hello everyone :)

Hello, my name is... well you probably can see my name on the left of your screen, just beside my post. My name isn't interesting anyway. ;)

I'm an 17 years old guy from Germany (<-- that's why me English is that bad. Sorry!). My hobbies are sitting in front of the computer (yeah, maybe I should go bungee jumping), playing computer games (ut2004), writing Wikipedia articles or browse many hours through hundreds of articles (see this xkcd) and much more. xkcd and UF are my favorite comics. Beside computers, I'm interested in maths, cryptography and ethics.
I like metal music, I am a vegetarian and that's basically what I can tell about myself...

Greetings, saibot834

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed May 23, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

McLurker wrote:

*intimidation*

No, because the true purpose of scrabble is to impress people with your vocabulary, right?

The TRUE purpose of Scrabble is to get as many points as possible out of every turn. That has been my strategy: AGRESSIVE! My only defensive tactics are to not set up big pointers on triple-and-double words scores.

"Qat" is old news. Ever used "Faqir"? Best q-without-u word ever, because everyone's heard of it but no one expects it! Or "qi" works in blocks, too. That's why the two-letter words are so important, playing in-line with another word racks up points like nobody's business.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 23, 2007 5:06 pm UTC

I love the fact that more and more people from Germany are starting to show up!

*snicker* finally my evil plans are starting to show success *snicker*

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed May 23, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:*snicker* finally my evil plans are starting to show success *snicker*

Must not... Invoke Wrath of... Godwin's law...
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Wed May 23, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

Must... not... quote from that Fawlty Towers episode...

Don't mention the war!
I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it...

Radio Free Eurasia

Postby Radio Free Eurasia » Wed May 23, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

Ren wrote:
The TRUE purpose of Scrabble is to get as many points as possible out of every turn. That has been my strategy: AGRESSIVE! My only defensive tactics are to not set up big pointers on triple-and-double words scores.

"Qat" is old news. Ever used "Faqir"? Best q-without-u word ever, because everyone's heard of it but no one expects it! Or "qi" works in blocks, too. That's why the two-letter words are so important, playing in-line with another word racks up points like nobody's business.

My defensive strategy is to write dirty words in my queue and then show them to the other players. While they're not paying attention, I then break out my bag of hidden letters I brought from home.

But I'm intrigued by the possibility of converting the Princeton offense to Scrabble.

Thunderbird4!
It's ketchup, I swear!

Postby Thunderbird4! » Wed May 23, 2007 7:20 pm UTC

Froodulous wrote:... Also, I play the piano, saxaphone and drums. ...

Between your avatar and that line all I could think was "You can tune a piano but you can't tune a fish." :twisted:
d33p wrote:xkcd: We keep people from jumping off of shit

mudge wrote:Taking cat-proximity laws out of lolcats is like taking friction out of sex.

andor

Who am I ????

Postby andor » Wed May 23, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

I'm nearly a human, by industry standars, so this should work.

I've been made nearly 25 years back on Spain, so that explains my awful and full-of-grammar-issues english.

I have no studies, apart from highschool and some scientific imaging courses (IR, UV, high speed, thermal, astro, crime scene, and so on.. kind of funny).

I devote my time to computers, so I work as a Freelancer IT Manager for some companies.

I have also photography and music as my other hobbies.

I still live in my home city, Alcobendas, 10miles away of Madrid.

Have a nice day and be aware of the raptors...
:)

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Wed May 23, 2007 7:24 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:
Froodulous wrote:hello, British, 17, taking ASS-levels, all the sciences, maths and further maths.

hehe

Strangely enough, I started giggling at this uncontrollably about an hour or two after I read it. :shock:
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 23, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

how old are you? around 14/15? Well, then it is ok.

SpitValve, how old are you again? I can't believe someone like that is given the ability to edit posts (awaiting the obvious)

My, my, my...

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Wed May 23, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

I'll disregard the fact that I did this not too long ago and reintroduce myself.

I'm Liza or Somnia.

I'm scholastically masochistic; regardless of the fact that I could have stopped my mathematical education a year ago I took Calculus, and I'm taking AP Bio even though I really have no need for it and kind of hate the subject.

When I do that whole university thing, I'll major in poli sci and minor in math (if I can) for no reason whatsoever. If I study anything else instead, it'll probably be neuroscience, just because it's so darn cool.

I play flute in band and guitar and piano very poorly.

I ski a lot.

I'm a vegetarian.

Ah, what else? I just got elected my NHS's treasurer, which is fairly cool, and I'm our Human Dignity Club (Gay-Straight Alliance with a different name)'s president.

Oh, and I have named every CASIO calculator I ever owned. And I hold super geeky parties where people get together just to watch Firefly or play Diplomacy.

And I do believe that is everything you need to know about me.

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 23, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

wait - Firefly is geeky?

I thought that would be just "cultish" and maybe "insider-y"
Hm. Am I a geek by that definition?

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Wed May 23, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:how old are you? around 14/15? Well, then it is ok.

Yes, I am 15, however my humor is generally quite more mature that that. So i can not explain why I found that funny, let alone two hours after I read it.

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 23, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

Congratulations. Yours was the 65536th or 2^16th or 2^(2^(2^2)th post!

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Wed May 23, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:Congratulations. Yours was the 65536th or 2^16th or 2^(2^(2^2)th post!

Oh-Em-Gee, how did I not notice that? :o

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 23, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

quite a thing, huh? Now go out and celebrate it with your friends.

oh, and I destroyed it with that above post :twisted:

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Wed May 23, 2007 8:15 pm UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:quite a thing, huh? Now go out and celebrate it with your friends.

I would, had I had friends that cared about it :P

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Wed May 23, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

DonChubby wrote:I would, had I had friends that cared about it :P

Powers of Two party! Whoo hoo!
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Wed May 23, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

I know what you are talking about! Everyone you know will just look at you all weird, maybe back up, and then stop responding your calls, or change the side of the road when they meet you.

No, but seriously, who would you tell? Or rather, who would care? Luckily, I have some people in RL that would get the point and might be able to get a grin out of it.

Virtual Powers of two party then! w00t, w00t!

I'd better get off and do some serious stuff here. I have to admit though that I was observing the "post" counter on "General" quite a few days, though.

andor

Postby andor » Wed May 23, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

Somnia wrote:I play flute in band and guitar and piano very poorly.

Hey!
I used to play flute years ago. I was in the Madrid Flute Orchestra :) Kind of weird a band having 40 to 50 flutes and 3 cellos... ;)

SimonSwift

Postby SimonSwift » Wed May 23, 2007 10:13 pm UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:wait - Firefly is geeky?

I thought that would be just "cultish" and maybe "insider-y"
Hm. Am I a geek by that definition?

I'd say it's geek cultish. In any case, I'm definitely a browncoat. But I'm admittedly a geek in many other matters, too, so...Meh.
P.S. I hate you.
P.P.S. Apologies for the verbosity.
--------------------
This delightful post brought to you by Simon Swift.
Simon Swift: The new not-Simon Swift.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed May 23, 2007 10:53 pm UTC

Somnia wrote:And I hold super geeky parties where people get together just to watch Firefly or play Diplomacy.

You play Diplomacy? Any interest of playing a online game? I haven't played in so long, I *almost* forget how to...

Return to “General”