I think I need to stop smokeing.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

scouse geek

I think I need to stop smokeing.

Postby scouse geek » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:34 am UTC

OK I smoke yes I know it's a bad habbit but I have only today realised how bad I have goten in the last year or so, but first a little back story.

I am 24 but I have been smoking since I was 11, I started at secondary school and then it was just one or two a day but I now smoke at average on a work day 40 of the things a day, but today brought it home to me that infact I smoke much more than that. Today I have a odd Monday off and I woke up at 4:30am second thing I did was reach for a pack of smokes and bummer I was out so i get dressed put the collar on the dog and walk down to the local petrol station and pick up some smokes, I get home bath the dog and eat some food then sit my self down in front of my computer by this time it's about 6am and I have had about 5 or 6 cigarettes. Fast forward about 4 hours -

I am still sitting in front of my computer but I only have 2 cigarettes left, and it's just hit me in the last 5 hours I have had 18 cigarettes and I am only part way though the day, I don't want to end up like my dad who had smoked 60 a day for about 35 years and have a massive heart attack by the time I am 55 partly due to smoking.

So has any one quit or at least heavily cut down and can give me tip's? I tried last year as a bet to do cold turkey and lasted about 4 hours and then tried patches and ended up wearing 4 of them and still smoking after a few hours. I have heard of a new treatment called Champic that can help you stop but I know no one who has used it so comments on that would be greatly appreciated.

Ulc

Re: I think I need to stop smokeing.

Postby Ulc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:15 am UTC

I've gone cold turkey two times, the first time lasted 3 weeks, the second one about a year later has lasted 1½ year so far. But I didn't smoke more than 15 per day ever, so it might have been easier for me, neither did I start so early.

I'd guess that you wont be able to do it cold turkey, the habit is simply too strong by this point.

A trick that worked well for one of my friends (probably same amount as you) was to get in the habit of wearing a watch and a little pen, then on the side of the pack she would write down the clock whenever she lighted a cig, and then there would have to pass 30 minutes before she could light one again, no matter what, no exceptions (this is far easier to do than cold turkey) after a couple of weeks of this just to get into the habit (didn't really change much in how much she smoked), then she would make it 35 minutes instead, then 40 minutes a couple of weeks later and so on.

When she hit one hour she was able to go cold turkey, this has lasted roughly eight months now.

if it was me, I would probably have made up some self imposed punishment if I broke it. Ohh, and my experience has been that people tend to break their cold turkeys when they're drunk. Try to avoid getting horrible drunk while you're kicking the habit.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

scouse geek

Postby scouse geek » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:33 am UTC

You see I have tried a self imposed punishment and ended up missing things or a load of £1 coins in a jar that gets spent on more cig's when I need want / need them I even tried telling myself it's for a holiday or a new toy but I get to around the 12 hour mark and have about 30 quid in the jar an think aww sod it. It got to the point where I bought a ammo box of the internet and had it welded shut and I walked down to the metal cutting shop at work and took a 10in grinder to it to get my money back.

And I know what you mean about the drinking and breaking your habit side of thing's I am the only IT guy in my work place and have lots of friends who do smoke and pop there head round the door at the end of a work day who say "Chris we are going the pub want to come" and after a pint there is nothing better than a nice smoke. Another problem is I work in a out building by myself most of the day so I can get away with smoking at my desk as the boss is hardly ever here and the only people who come in to my lair are friends or fellow smokers and I am also the guy who know what your surfing for at work so I get away with it.
When I am at home I tend to stay in my room and smoke my head off and when i go out most of my friends bar one or two are smokers so that dosent help matters, so I am kinda after some real world tips from other heavy smokers who can give me advice on how to cut down then stop as I have tried most of the normal ways and not had any success, my dad is the only person who I know has managed to quit after smoking so much but he was in hospital when he quit and they told him that if he starts again he wouldn't live to see his grand kid's and that was the big wake up call to him.

But congrats on stoping, today I have realised I have to stop or cut down as it's expensive already today I have spent £11.6p on them and all I can think of is, what a shitty waste of my hard earned money.

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:40 pm UTC

http://www.ecigaretteschoice.com/

I'm strongely considering one of these bad boys. I've currently not had a cigarette sober in about a month and a half, but one of these might make it less tolerable when I drunk smoke (which is still pretty often).
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

scouse geek

Postby scouse geek » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

They remind me of the joke smokes you get at the market, the kind that don't work.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:13 pm UTC

delay. tell yourself that more than one cig an hour is too much. don't think in packs, think in smokes.
distract yourself with something that occupies both hands. if you can cut back one smoke at a time you'll be better off than trying to just cut it all out.
it's how my boyfriend is teaching himself to quit. also we've both begun rolling our own, so it's more effort to smoke.
i'm smoking while i type this.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

scouse geek

Postby scouse geek » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:delay. tell yourself that more than one cig an hour is too much. don't think in packs, think in smokes.
distract yourself with something that occupies both hands. if you can cut back one smoke at a time you'll be better off than trying to just cut it all out.
it's how my boyfriend is teaching himself to quit. also we've both begun rolling our own, so it's more effort to smoke.
i'm smoking while i type this.

The DIY smoke aspect sounds like a good idea, and I too am smoking while i type this.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

I'm always smoking, baby!

...Figuratively.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Return to “General”