Homemade mustard

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Homemade mustard

Postby Thesh » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 am UTC

Anyone else made their own mustard before? I was bored so I gave it a try. I had some whole yellow mustard seeds, ground them in a coffee grinder I use for spices, added salt, a little white wine vinegar, and then added cold water until I got the right thickness. I was actually impressed with how it turned out. Had a nice flavor, followed by a good burn. When I first made it, it was spicy but a little bland, but it seems to have built flavor after sitting for a day.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: Homemade mustard

Postby Moo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:09 am UTC

I have a great recipe for a sweet mustard sauce but it uses mustard powder - is that cheating? Maybe I should try it from scratch (or from seed?) next time...
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:12 am UTC

Moo wrote:I have a great recipe for a sweet mustard sauce but it uses mustard powder - is that cheating? Maybe I should try it from scratch (or from seed?) next time...

I don't think it's cheating; I think the only difference you will find is that there will be a smoother texture with the mustard powder.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:52 am UTC

My problem was that I had to use a coffee grinder to actually break up the seeds, and it kind of killed it.

However, after it sat in the fridge for a bit, it was pretty good.

So, one of my wish list kitchen gadgets is a marble mortar and pestle shaped to fit each other (example). Other than killing cheap appliances, in my case, it's surprisingly easy to make.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:23 am UTC

My family makes a yearly batch of champagne mustard after my parents tried some at a dinner party 15 years ago. I believe we still have some in the fridge. It's requires nothing more than a double boiler, mustard powder, sugar, salt, and the world's cheapest champagne. It goes perfectly with chicken and nasal congestion, as it scares the mucus out of you due to it's 'potent fragrance.'
Edit: I have no idea where that recipe is. It's similar to this
Last edited by Vohu Manah on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:58 am UTC

Ooooh - recipe, please?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Alx_xlA

Postby Alx_xlA » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

Making mustard is interesting from a chemistry standpoint... After you've cooked the ingredients (except the vinegar), it will continue to get hotter until you add an acid to halt the reaction.

Accordingly, if one is making yellow mustard, the vinegar is added immediately, while hotter mustards involve a delay prior to its addition.
My signature contains forty-four characters.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

That is very interesting!

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

Alx_xlA wrote:... After you've cooked the ingredients (except the vinegar), it will continue to get hotter until you add an acid to halt the reaction.

I remember hearing about that somewhere (maybe Alton Brown? maybe on a show about pretzels?) and he was pretty adamant about remembering to halt the reaction before it got painful.

Return to “Food”