Vocaloid topic

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

rtg928

Vocaloid topic

Postby rtg928 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocaloid

I found out about this on another forum and people have created alot of good songs using this program. Just search youtube if you want to find some good ones or if you already know of some vocaloid songs people have created post them here. If people don't start posting links in a few days I will post some.

Роберт

Re: Vocaloid topic

Postby Роберт » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

The demos I heard weren't great. They made decent backing vocals, so long as you weren't actually listening to them.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

I always like to see a company funding new synthesis techniques, though perhaps I'd be skeptical of Yamaha after their "patent" on frequency modulation synthesis. But this Vocaloid thing is not, in its fundamental nature, very unique. Matching sounds to parameters and synthesising an output to them is being done by various people in various ways. There is a technique called concatenative synthesis being developed at IRCAM in Paris that is a far more interesting implementation of this idea. It takes any sound input and matches parts of any subject sound to it, creating a synthesised output from the subject in the form of the input. It is a far more general tool, and less gimmicky. But the fundamental concept, that a database of sounds can be mapped on to a framework provided by a dynamic input, is the same. I've heard incredible extended vocal techniques coming out of the IRCAM system, and very interesting general synthesis work. It's far beyond the limited goal of making singing voices out of MIDI.

I'm in no way pissing on Vocaloid's fire, just being careful not to let the commercial implementation of a general concept overshadow the more interesting non-commercial developments that take place without a balance sheet asking for saleable results.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

If you want to be turned off of Vocaloid, listen to Mike Oldfield's Light + Shade. Urgh.

He actually used two distinct programs to generate the vocals in that album, but overall, he gives a great exhibit of how NOT to take a new toy and show it off to the world.

Return to “Music”