Getting my undergrad in math. How about you?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

agelessdrifter

Re: Getting my undergrad in math. How about you?

Postby agelessdrifter » Mon May 30, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

Education: AA -- beginning bachelor-level work this fall, majoring in Math and Physics
Currently: Summer class on complex variable theory. I also tutor in math and science.
The dream: top-tier university professor, of course.

marginally_stable

Postby marginally_stable » Tue May 31, 2011 2:08 am UTC

Age 27,
PhD. in mechanics (applied dynamical systems), MS in applied math, BS in mechanical engineering.
Working in a private research lab.

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Tue May 31, 2011 6:42 am UTC

Capefeather, the only advice I can give you is that analysis and topology are not the only branches of mathematics, one of my favorite professors of all time did poorly in analysis as well and I'd say he's doing very well for himself (his field of study was algebra, commutative algebra to be specific.) However, if you wish to do some work in geometry, it will be almost required to have some knowledge of analysis because from what I know, a lot of modern geometry is done in the context of manifolds which requires some knowledge of analysis. Someone tell me if I'm full of it, but I think what I said earlier is the case. If you plan on going to graduate school, you may have to take an analysis qualifying exam at some point depending on where you go, however at that point, you will have taken more than a few analysis courses so it probably wouldn't be too difficult for any graduate student who puts a reasonable amount of work into it. Also, there are a LOT more branches of physics than General Relativity. As far as I know, General Relativity isn't as ingrained into the general physics curriculum as analysis is, as far as I know, so don't let that bring you down.

It's natural to get knocked on your ass as both a physics and math student, god knows in my (as of now) short stint as a math student at least almost minoring in physics it has happened to me. Keep your chin up and keep swinging, even though I know this is hard at times. Even if you find yourself not liking either physics or mathematics at the end of your undergraduate career, you will have qualifications that will allow you to have almost any job you could ever want.

vampire2948

Postby vampire2948 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

Just finished the last of my exams for the first year of a four year MPhys Physics degree at a university in England.

Trying to find placements in various places/fields for the next summer break, and reading up on the things I'll be learning in the second year of my course. Also continuing to learn japanese, but that isn't really related to this thread.

silverhammermba

Postby silverhammermba » Tue May 31, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

Age 22
M.S. in mathematics (not applied, no specialization)
I'm a programmer, but I get to use math every now and then.

Burning_Bunny

Postby Burning_Bunny » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Education: B.S. degrees in Math, Philosophy and Biochemistry. Minors in physics, biology and music.
Currently I'm waiting on graduate school doing research in population biology and some biochem. stuff. I'm also a T.A. in the computer science department (boring...)

To the person who was talking about doing badly in analysis: keep trying. Try to decide if you hate the material or the teacher. I did poorly in a few (intro) level math classes that were required for the first degree I tried (physics). I thought I kind of sucked at pure math until I took abstract algebra (I told myself that it was going to be the last math class I ever took) with a teacher I had never heard of. It actually changed my life: it was like a religious experience. I realized I didn't suck at math, I just had crappy teachers who gave me no motivation to do the work. Before I took the class I was struggling to justify why I should stay in school rather than go back to a high paying job (albeit, not the most enlightening of occupations); now I can't imagine not exploiting the hell out of every scholarship and financial aid dollar I can to stay in school doing things I enjoy. Since then, I've taken plenty of classes with teachers who are far worse than the ones I had before, but now I don't care; I know I'm not the idiot and, somehow, that *cringe* makes me do better.

SkipSandwich

Postby SkipSandwich » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

Education: Doing my undergrad studies for BAS in Mathematics.
Activities: Tutoring math at an after-school tutoring center. Trying to figure out what direction I want to go in life, as I only recently decided not to go into teaching high school. The more I've researched, the more I like the idea of working for the NSA, so that's the direction I'm currently working towards.

Adam Preston
WINNING

Postby Adam Preston » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Education : None at the moment as I've almost finished my exams
What am I doing right now : Nothing
He who will not economize will have to agonize - Confucius

arzaqi

Postby arzaqi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:40 am UTC

Education: B.S. in Math, M.S. in Computer Science
What am I doing: Currently I am working as teaching assistant for freshmen and sophomores, for Linear Algebra and Discrete Math. I am also doing some research in formal method area. Hopefully my paper will be accepted this year.
My Plan: Pursuing career in finance, or PhD in Theoretical CS. However, the first choice seems to offer more income though :D. Money is not everything, but everything needs money.

radams

Postby radams » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

Education: BA in Mathematics with Philosophy, PhD in Mathematics
What am I doing: Lecturer in Computer Science

DoMakeSayThink

Postby DoMakeSayThink » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

Education: Undergraduate degree in Mathematics
What am I doing: PhD in applied maths, specifically in the area of matrix completion.

Not that I ever post here...

Viglen

Postby Viglen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

I'd like to get an undergrad in maths. A redhead if you've got one, but I'm not fussy.

Return to “Mathematics”