In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Angua » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 am UTC

In the UK it would be allowed if the child were Gillick competent, but don't know how the law works in the US.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 am UTC

What is this Gillick standard? It appears to be British legal terminology that is not shared by other legal systems.

Anyway, in the USA, unemancipated minors generally have no right to defy the will of their legal guardian(s) unless said guardians are engaging in legally defined abuse of said minor. Thus, a court or applicable legislature would have to rule that denial of vaccine is legally recognized as abusive.

To provide a closely related anecdote, my paternal grandfather was severely ill as a child during the 1930s, to the point that he missed two years of school. His parents claimed to disbelieve in modern medicine and thus refused to allow any actual medical practitioners to treat him, instead using only faith healers—and this was completely legal in the state of New York at the time! When they finally relented after two years, a course of penicillin was all that was needed for him to recover within three weeks.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:36 am UTC

Gillick competence basically means that the child is able to fully understand the decision that they are making. It's generally left down to the doctor to decide after talking with the child whether they are Gillick competent. The original case, and a lot of scenarios where it arises, was to do with prescription of contraception, and abortions are a common one as well, however it could apply to any medical treatment the parents don't wish the child to have. It's supposed to acknowledge that children mature at different rates and this should be reflected in their freedom to make their own choices.

It is from a British case in 1985. According to wikipedia, Australia has also adopted it, but I don't know if other countries also have their own versions of the concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillick_competence
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:49 pm UTC

Personally, I think the press bares a lot of the blame. They publish stories about research without even reading the published research. Oh, and by 'press' I mean newspaper aimed at the general public and journals aimed at experts in the fields.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 pm UTC

Ewwwwww

Fox news host hasn't washed hands in 10 years because he doesn't believe in germs. Apparently they are too small to be seen so can't exist.

Spoiler:
THE MICROBE

by: Hilaire Belloc (1870-1953)

HE MICROBE is so very small
You cannot make him out at all,
But many sanguine people hope
To see him through a microscope.
His jointed tongue that lies beneath
A hundred curious rows of teeth;
His seven tufted tails with lots
Of lovely pink and purple spots,
On each of which a pattern stands,
Composed of forty separate bands;
His eyebrows of a tender green;
All these have never yet been seen--
But Scientists, who ought to know,
Assure us that is must be so...
Oh! let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about!
GNU Terry Pratchett

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:23 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Fox news host hasn't washed hands in 10 years because he doesn't believe in germs. Apparently they are too small to be seen so can't exist.
Yanno, that sounds like the kind of hyperbole that makes me suspect it's intended humor. Consider also:

"His confession came after co-hosts Ed Henry and Jedediah Bila made fun of him for eating left-over pizza.
'My 2019 resolution is to say things on air that I say off air,' Hegseth added."

Sounds like some kidding around of the form "I change my underwear every month, whether I need it or not." There are plenty of things to legitimately get excited about; I suspect this isn't one of them.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:25 pm UTC

I mean, it is in the humorous news thread...
GNU Terry Pratchett

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:42 pm UTC

People who live in glass houses… shouldn't woe zones?
(Stylish full-glass-walled apartment owners lose court battle against neighbouring tourist attraction having tourists looking in at them. And I'm sure there's a better word-pair at the end of that line. Foe, blow, crow, Doh!, know, moans, tones, thrones, showns, Jones…))

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:51 pm UTC

... shouldn't be a right bunch of fucking eejits?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:21 pm UTC

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:56 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:People who live in glass houses… shouldn't woe zones?
(Stylish full-glass-walled apartment owners lose court battle against neighbouring tourist attraction having tourists looking in at them. And I'm sure there's a better word-pair at the end of that line. Foe, blow, crow, Doh!, know, moans, tones, thrones, showns, Jones…))

In this case, I think you were looking for, "People who live in glass houses shouldn't woo zones."
In all fairness...

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:48 am UTC

If they don’t want people gawking into their apartments, then I hear that there’s this marvelous invention called “curtains” that they could use.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am UTC

Or "walls".

Glass is a notoriously poor insulator, and those people spend a small fortune on heating and AC. From an environmental POV, maybe we should start taxing glass.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:35 am UTC

Yes. The Posh must go shopping. Their privacy will return fast as Amazon.
Shears made of Twenty First Century materials will allow one way viewing.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:44 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Or "walls".

Glass is a notoriously poor insulator, and those people spend a small fortune on heating and AC. From an environmental POV, maybe we should start taxing glass.

Citation?

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:49 am UTC

I don't have English language sources, but some typical values:

The current minimum allowed heat resistance value for a the vertical shell of a new-built Ditch house is 4.5 m2K/W. That's an average over walls, windows, doors, etc. This is not considered particularly challenging. Multiply by 5.7 for Mickey Mouse units.

Very good triple glass gets to about 2. I think that much higher values become technically challenging if you want to keep transparency high, even on the budget of 3.5 million pound appartements.

Then again, triple glass has a higher R value than walls from a few decades ago, and I presume that the non-glss walls, roof and floor of those appartements will be well-isolated. Overall, I doubt that these have very high heating costs, let alone the kind of high that would bother 3.5 million pound people.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 pm UTC

Not-news-but-apropos-to-the-suggestion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax

:P

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:13 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Not-news-but-apropos-to-the-suggestion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax

:P

If it's one continuous glass wall, shouldn't it count as only one window?
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:45 pm UTC

Octopus Article wrote:Twitter users were quick to respond with puns.

That is my kind of justice!

Tiger Article wrote:Police also described the cage as "rinky-dink", according to CBS, and said it had been secured with a screwdriver and a nylon strap.

Who on Earth thought, "Oh, the one thing stopping my 900 lbs death machine from killing me and everyone I love broke. Better go jury-rig a new lock." Do people just not understand that tiger are strong enough to eat bears?
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:46 pm UTC

solune

Postby solune » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:20 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:Very good triple glass gets to about 2. I think that much higher values become technically challenging if you want to keep transparency high, even on the budget of 3.5 million pound appartements

If you're on a 3.5 M£ budget can't you go for more exotic glass combinations, like a layer of vacuum between the sheets, or apparently argon ?

Spoiler:
The same article suggests using uranium hexafluorite as an isolator, which just made my day.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:45 pm UTC

The real answer is to use transparent aluminum, but we can't get any because we accidentally saved the whales.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:46 am UTC

jewish_scientist wrote: "Oh, the one thing stopping my 900 lbs death machine from killing me and everyone I love broke. Better go jury-rig a new lock." Do people just not understand that tiger are strong enough to eat bears?

Sticky-sweet: Not at all, all wild animals are just fluffy wuffy little cutesy criitters that are just sweetness and gentleness.

Personally, I got disabused of that when the guy told me about how he was bitten by a fluffy little cottontail rabbit... right through his leather work glove and all the way through the webbing between his thumb and forefinger.

It isn't just the tigers that can hurt you.
In all fairness...

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 am UTC

solune wrote:
Zamfir wrote:Very good triple glass gets to about 2. I think that much higher values become technically challenging if you want to keep transparency high, even on the budget of 3.5 million pound appartements

If you're on a 3.5 M£ budget can't you go for more exotic glass combinations, like a layer of vacuum between the sheets, or apparently argon ?

Spoiler:
The same article suggests using uranium hexafluorite as an isolator, which just made my day.

That's less exotic then you might think. Most windows are filled with argon, and coated with a silver IR-reflection layer. Sometimes they put in krypton if the window can't be too thick, especially retrofits in older houses. Vacuum-filled glass is also on the regular market, but it's fragile and it tends to lose its vacuum in the long run, so its not that popular.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:37 am UTC

Not 100% sure if this is humorous or dark...
Ex-CEO: Insys execs used rap video parody to push sales of excessive fentanyl Rx

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/13/ex-ceo-insys-execs-used-rap-video-parody-to-push-sales-of-excessive-fentanyl-rx/. Note that "excessive" means " a lot of the patients died"

And here's the video:
https://mobile.twitter.com/aaron_leib/status/1095767549139173376
It has the VP of sales dancing around dressed as a spray bottle, while everyone is bragging how they get more patients hooked. It's remarkably well made, for an amateur parody rap video.

The mere existence of this is ... amazing. The corporate version of gangster rap.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:29 pm UTC

Corporations are just successful gangsters, are you surprised?
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm UTC

At the largest scale, the main distinction between corporations and organized crime is that government hasn’t banned the things that the corporations are doing.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:At the largest scale, the main distinction between corporations and organized crime is that government hasn’t banned the things that the corporations are doing.

Look, there's only so many ways to organize a large activity between large groups of people. You either form a corporation, a church, or a government. Either way, it's going to be similar. For example, ISIS has problems with unscrupulous people expensing questionable purchases to their accountants.

speising

Re: In other news... (humorous news item

Postby speising » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:20 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
ijuin wrote:At the largest scale, the main distinction between corporations and organized crime is that government hasn’t banned the things that the corporations are doing.

Look, there's only so many ways to organize a large activity between large groups of people. You either form a corporation, a church, or a government. Either way, it's going to be similar. For example, ISIS has problems with unscrupulous people expensing questionable purchases to their accountants.

getting fired might have different consequences, though.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:27 am UTC

I'm not sure this is a humorous news item. It does involve the Sunday comics, though.

"Non Sequitur" cartoon dropped by [several American newspapers] after artist inserts hidden profane attack on Donald Trump

addams

Postby addams » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:14 am UTC

Gee...
We are all thinking it...

Uhhh....
In dictatorships no one dares speak their truth?

well...
Unless you are a Truther.

These are the days we are living.
Rush Limbaugh was given a promotional speech from the White House lawn, today.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:47 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:I'm not sure this is a humorous news item.

I'd say it's far from humorous. Unless censorship and figurative lynch mobs are fun to you.

The most depressing part is that all I could find of the offending comic is:
screen-shot-2019-02-11-at-6.25.38-pm.png
from https://itsgoodtoliveinatwodailytown.com/tag/bearaissance/
screen-shot-2019-02-11-at-6.25.38-pm.png (27.49 KiB) Viewed 2744 times

(if you squint your eyes you can read it as "fuck you/yourself" and "trump".)

Even on the online comic page it's revised now. It's as if he slandered someone (in the criminal sense to be precise).
The only good news is that it exposes a bunch of publishers (and arguably gocomics for their revision) for the wankers they are.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:37 pm UTC

Yes...
It may be a dark news story.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Link

Postby Link » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:32 pm UTC

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:13 am UTC

"Say cheese…!"? No, actually you shouldn't if it's vegan.

(Meanwhile, Cheeses Christ! That's a lot of the real thing!)

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:41 pm UTC

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... W2&ampcf=1
It's not every day that you can laugh about opium addicts committing crimes to feed their addiction. No promises if this is real though.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:16 am UTC

If it is, we ought to breed a bunch of them and release them in Afghanistan...

However, this is not an unprecedented incident.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:27 pm UTC

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:15 pm UTC

A youngish fox was found dead in the henhouse of an agricultural high school; it was apparently pecked to death by a mob of angry hens.

French language article.

The French media have spent the whole day making comments about victims grouping and facing their predators.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:27 pm UTC

Except chickens are the most vile creatures known to agriculture.

Return to “News & Articles”